• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

timetosleep

Feb 19, 2019
I have been doing my best to recover. I am much better now psychologically than several years ago. However, I feel like the struggles will never end. I am constantly facing systemic racism and oppressions. It's too hard being a person of color in a very racist world. I always feel like I have to work many times harder to move forward in life because of my skin color. There is a glimmer of hope, a chance of a decent life, if I can continue to fight for two more years. However, I don't have much energy left. It's too tiring and I just want the pains to end. Any encouragement or understanding would be much appreciated.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Many people are afraid to touch the subject of racism maybe because the subject can trigger intense passions. I think it might be helpful to look at the subject from an analytical perspective.

There is historical racism in which blacks were occasionally killed for recreation. There was historical economic racism where blacks were encouraged to move from the south to provide cheap labor in northern factories. Ironically today many blacks encounter discrimination because illegals will work cheaper than they will.

There is even a new kind of racism. I knew a teacher who told me of a black girl that was put into a gifted class and her IQ was not even 100 (average). I asked if she was frustrated by not being able to do the work. I was told that she was not asked to do any work and she had a very high opinion of herself. If you consider the difficulty she would face in a work place that asked her to do work for which she was unprepared, you can image that she might feel her difficulty was because of employment racism instead of the educational racism that failed to challenge her to do the best she could.

Today the media and political activists get rewarded economically by making accusations that spread racial hatred. This is a type of social pollution and distortion of reality that makes them money, but harms those who come under its influence. If I think that the game is rigged against me, I may not even try to better my own situation and begin to seethe with bitterness against all who I have come to see as my oppressors.

If you encounter real racism, either confront it or move on to other situations. The race-baiters can harm you by making you think there is nothing you can do. Some will try to help you feel good by supporting the idea that you are helpless.

If I am in a car going somewhere and the car breaks down, I would rather get the car fixed than have everyone who passes by tell me it is someone else's fault my car is broken.

There are people who face a more difficult path in life, the unattractive, overweight, odd, and less intelligent. We have to do the best we can because the world was not designed to be fair.

You mention that you are doing better than you have in the past. You should give yourself full credit for your gains. Don't let those who would marginalize your accomplishments rob you of seeing a better future for yourself on the basis of what you have already accomplished.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Hi timetosleep,

I'm very sorry that you're dealing with this and even here, in what should be a community of allies, getting ignorant and assumption-making replies such as the above.
The Surviving Race group might offer some culturally-competent support I think.

Last edited:
I

ihnaus419

Sep 11, 2020
Hello timetosleep,

I'm sorry that the world is this way and for the very ignorant first reply. It's shitty when the game that everyone has to play is rigged against you. I don't have any good advice. All your thoughts are 100% valid. Don't let anyone make you think you're just a complainer.

introspectious

introspectious

Nov 2, 2020
Systematic racism is absolutely real and it's a terrible part of society. The best thing I can think of for better understanding the problem of racism is to learn as much history as possible. Maybe education is the tool that can best equip us to deal with it. Holding on for two years is absolutely possible, they may go by so much faster than you think. Maybe you need a few solid new hobbies to get you through those two years. I'm here to chat if you'd ever like.
Systematic racism is absolutely real and it's a terrible part of society. The best thing I can think of for better understanding the problem of racism is to learn as much history as possible. Maybe education is the tool that can best equip us to deal with it. Holding on for two years is absolutely possible, they may go by so much faster than you think. Maybe you need a few solid new hobbies to get you through those two years. I'm here to chat if you'd ever like. Yeah

Last edited:
In2TheVoid

In2TheVoid

Pathological
Feb 18, 2021
I'm cheering for you and admire your strength. Systemic racism is an absolutely evil reality of today's world

Reactions: StevieNixs
T

timetosleep

Feb 19, 2019
Thank you everyone for the encouragement and emotional support. It has been a very difficult week. Somedays, it's bearable, but on the others when I face a lot of discrimination, it's often too overwhelming. I am doing my best to hang in there. Not sure how long I will be able to, but I am trying.

Reactions: StevieNixs
Insomniac

Insomniac

š¯”„ š¯”² š¯”± š¯”¦ š¯”° š¯”Ŗ
May 21, 2021
The worst part is when they cite that one successful black person to deny racism lol.

You're brave for making this post. Courage OP. I'm black, African (from a third-world country), poor, and a woman.

I realised long ago that my life was about enduring suffering. For me, resignating myself is what helps the most.

Also, all isn't dark for me because at leat I'm attractive (if anyone is interested pm me lol) so I can still sell my body if things get worse lmao.

Keep you head up <3