• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
Say there is situation X and situation Y. X is better than Y. Let's say we ask a person in situation Y what they'd pay to move up to situation X, and they say Z. We put that same person in situation X and ask how much they'd pay to stay out of Y, they will typically say something higher than Z, because they fear the consequence. That's irrational. The question is 'what is X-Y?', but humans will give different values based on if they are going from X to Y or Y to X. Fear is stronger than aspiration, leading to bad decisions.
Hopefully that wasn't too much gibberish. My point is that right now you have two options: stay at home or try working. One is better, and I'd say most of the advice you've gotten is that the better one is getting out of the abusive home. I think fear of change is overly-influencing you.
The logical fallacy seems to me to about how people would evaluate moving down as more painful and moving up as less pleasurable. Although to be fair, paying is suffering, too, so moving up would mean suffering + pleasure, whereas paying to stay up would mean suffering + lack of suffering?

Reactions: sserafim
actualfemcel

actualfemcel

Mar 30, 2024
If you have the resources and support you can't go wrong with at least trying. You might end up finding a job that doesn't treat you too poorly, or more likely you might stay unemployed because autism is seen as a scarlet letter by employers. It sounds like your mother doesn't understand that autism is a lifelong disability - doesn't go away once you turn 18.

derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Misery Minimization Activist
Sep 19, 2023
The logical fallacy seems to me to about how people would evaluate moving down as more painful and moving up as less pleasurable. Although to be fair, paying is suffering, too, so moving up would mean suffering + pleasure, whereas paying to stay up would mean suffering + lack of suffering?
I think you've got it. The basic point is that we don't always value things logically, and for a lot of people they value what's familiar to them higher whether it makes sense or not.

J

J&L383

Experienced
Jul 18, 2023
sserafim, I sympathize with your frustrations. Regarding Dignitas or Pegasos, they generally are not open to helping anyone as young as you, unless you're severely disabled, for example quadriplegia or cancer or some debilitating disease that can be demonstrated by medical records.(other than mental health issues). Unfortunately that's the parameters (statutory, and in general practice) that they are bound by. For mental health (depression, e.g.), they can help but first they want to see a lot of effort to try to see if there's any treatments that could help; about 8% of assisted suicides are for depression (see link below), but I would say most of those are over 50 years old. Also, Swiss law requires that the applicant be of "sound mind," which is tricky to demonstrate if the main complaint is mental health related. So, for these reasons, most of their assisted suicides are for people over 50. In short, in practice it is unlikely they will assist with a suicide unless the member has attempted to live their life, at least "half" their life. Things may change but this is what we're stuck with for now

Here is a link to a 2014 report (download) on assisted suicides in Switzerland that can shed some light on various aspects. (reasons, ages):

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim