LonelyKitten

LonelyKitten

Seeking one final escape
Aug 13, 2023
What do y'all think about mentioning mental illness(es) in a suicide note?

My thoughts are along these lines:
Throughout my life, as much as I've tried to inform myself about condition(s) I have had, I noticed that on the outside, people generally struggle to understand what you are trying to express if you frame things from the perspective of a certain illness.
The terms might be confusing, and unlike how to you, you may know a lot about the specific ins and outs and differences, someone else does not automatically have a relevant picture of what say, PTSD might mean to you.
Think how many people confuse BD/BPD with each other (Bipolar/Borderline), how someone may not know the difference between being a little down or having a full-on Depressive Disorder, how for example someone might even say bipolar in casual speak to describe a person maybe exhibits two opposing behaviors in a striking manner.
It makes sense for someone that does not struggle with mental illness to be unfamiliar with the specifics or the basics, the same way I know nothing about say, basketball, and would be confused by its lingo, too.

So my thought is that to me it makes more sense to focus more on the way something made me feel, or express it as the way I am or react to things, without naming an illness.
Kind of taking the label(s) out of it and just phrasing experiences, emotions, and reactions as just that, whether they are "normal" or not.

I would be curious to hear your perspectives on this subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShoresideThoughts