L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Dear all

Nutmeg for depression...you need to be careful with the dose and one website says to combine it also with cinammon and cloves.

I don't know about contraindications. Today I have already had 600mg of St John's Wort, 200 mg Modafinil, 3 magic mushrooms erm some L-Tryptophan.

But I just started with the nutmeg and I now feel really high - which is better than the crying mess I was before it. It might be good also just by itself. If you are on meds, tread carefully. It is psychoactive and even dangerous in large quantities.

If anyone tries it, please review it here, I'd be interested to know what it does for other people. It might be a natural MAOI:

And here's the dose they suggest (but I had less than this, and it is still making me high, so try low and slow);

Improving the Nutmeg Experience​

So in order to reduce the negative effects of the nutmeg nut, I don't directly consume the whole nutmeg nut. Instead, I grind up no-more than 1 teaspoon of the whole nutmeg and make a hot-water extraction of the nutmeg. I then drink this "tea" while it is still hot. The heat insures that the nutmeg oil doesn't coagulate onto the inner surface of the container (cup), and stays in a liquid form to be consumed. The heat also improves sublingual absorption of the nutmeg essential oil, which has the active compounds.

To further reduce the negative effects of nutmeg, while at the same time enhancing the positive effects, I combined nutmeg with a bunch of spices to make a spice tea. The most important two spices are cinnamon and cloves for bringing out a positive psychoactive experience with nutmeg administration. The spices function to knock out (inhibit) certain enzymes that breaks down the active compounds of the nutmeg. Thus the addition of certain spices allows a person to consume less nutmeg in order to achieve a significant psychoactive effect. And consuming less nutmeg means that the body experiences less of a toll from it.

• Love
Reactions: dialogos, alonely, Lostandlooking and 2 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Not to be aggressive, but should this sort of thing really be in the "recovery" forum? If I down half a liter of vodka I might feel jolly as well, get the point? Same with the LSD micro-dosing and whatnot. Maybe there are some good stuff you can do once in a while for brain health but using various drugs and potions and shit as a crutch doesn't seem great, you know?

Last edited:
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I think it's a natural MAOI. If nothing else works, then it is about recovery I guess.

I feel less high now though - but there is stuff online about it being an anti-depressant.

I didn't take the full dose.

Reactions: dialogos, Lostandlooking, Sensei and 1 other person
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i also think that it's fitting in the recovery section cause it's more about therapeutic use and not recreational use.

i myself started using kratom 3 weeks ago for some days. it reduced my anxiety and inner pressure massively without affecting my focus or my senses so i didn't have to use it for a week now. also cause it gives me the security to have now something which helps me over the really bad days.

didn't hear about nutmeg but will give it a read. i am also thinking about microdosing mushrooms but didn't get active in that direction so far.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dialogos, Sensei and LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
@DocNo so happy Kratom is working for you. It just made me sick, but it's great it can help.

Microdosing mushrooms - I have them here, but I have also tried that in the past and for me it helps a bit if I am not very depressed, but if I am very depressed it is tormenting. But we are all different and lots of people do find it helpful.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei and DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
@DocNo so happy Kratom is working for you. It just made me sick, but it's great it can help.

Microdosing mushrooms - I have them here, but I have also tried that in the past and for me it helps a bit if I am not very depressed, but if I am very depressed it is tormenting. But we are all different and lots of people do find it helpful.

yes. i guess it's always a bit try and error. things which work for one doesn't necessarily work for another person.

thanx. kratom really has a big impact. didn't feel that stable for a very long time.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and Sensei
notreallynow

notreallynow

Oct 21, 2020
Sorry if this is a dumb question but roughly how much of a nutmeg is 1 tsp? And how long do you simmer it for?
I am thinking, might as well add some black tea and milk at the end (lol) to make a kind of chai thingy, a really nutmeggy and gross chai. I will let you know how it goes :nomouth:

Reactions: LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Sorry if this is a dumb question but roughly how much of a nutmeg is 1 tsp? And how long do you simmer it for?
I am thinking, might as well add some black tea and milk at the end (lol) to make a kind of chai thingy, a really nutmeggy and gross chai. I will let you know how it goes :nomouth:
The woman who shares the method says you should also add cinnamon and cloves. This is how she says you can use less nutmeg for the same effect (e.g. 1 tsp will give you more of an effect).

Thank you for trying it!

I am on so many pills at the moment and don't know what to do for myself. I'm mixing things that shouldn't be mixed, but nothing is making much of a difference.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I use nutmeg on occasions. It has good sedative and antidepressant effects on me, but the anxiolytic effects are so-so.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
notreallynow

notreallynow

Oct 21, 2020
3 hours ago took like.. 3 nuts? Feels a bit sedatey- maybe not worth the nasty taste but p aight

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I'm definitely gonna read about this. So do you need fresh nuts to begin with or is the stuff that's sitting in my spice rack good as well?

I tried microdosing magic truffles last month. With almost no positive effects. Just had one day when it seemed to be working.

notreallynow

notreallynow

Oct 21, 2020
I'm definitely gonna read about this. So do you need fresh nuts to begin with or is the stuff that's sitting in my spice rack good as well?

I tried microdosing magic truffles last month. With almost no positive effects. Just had one day when it seemed to be working.
Na, don't do it, it can be risky (triggers psychosis in some people, not great for the liver). Stick to cbd ect - no nausea. It got super unpleasant towards end actually.

I genuinely don't find stuff like THC ect to be great for overall mental health. Yeah they can give a bit of temporary relief, but I don't really get anything out of them, rather do socially. I'm curious about what other people get from mushrooms, cause I've never taken one.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
Hey, sorry to be a downer but I recommend you take care using nutmeg. If I remember right, using it while you have antidepressants in your system puts you at risk of getting serotonin syndrome.

On that note...it's the same for DXM, folks. If you want to try these, please make sure you haven't taken any antidepressants for about two weeks. Serotonin syndrome can get nasty. I don't want anyone to hurt themselves.

Reactions: muffin222, Lostandlooking and Sensei
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Hey, sorry to be a downer but I recommend you take care using nutmeg. If I remember right, using it while you have antidepressants in your system puts you at risk of getting serotonin syndrome.

On that note...it's the same for DXM, folks. If you want to try these, please make sure you haven't taken any antidepressants for about two weeks. Serotonin syndrome can get nasty. I don't want anyone to hurt themselves.
Grapefruit can too, as I learned looking into the meds im on. I'll be honest I was surprised to find that natural stuff that you wouldn't think about would have that kind of effect. Kinda scary or not depending on your view lol.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Ngl I tried Delta-8 and I was surprised at how well that worked. I hadn't used marijuana in about 4 years and decided to try delta-8 edibles thinking I knew what I was getting into. I was very wrong and I got fairly high and didn't remember anything past the first 3 hours and then fell asleep some time in the night.

Reactions: dialogos