• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
I'm basically pretty happy. I've applied to be a substitute teacher. I don't know if I'll get this job and I'm keeping expectations low after my last let down while job searching but I picked myself up and decided maybe subbing could work.

I like working with and helping kids, I think I could deal with the negatives, the pay is mediocre but I don't need much (~$70-80 a day, but I'm in a low cost of living area), and finally, where it prevails is flexibility. There are 5 school across my district so I think the demand for subs is definitely here, according to some teachers I've heard talking about it. I am a college student, and I need the flexibility as I go to campus 2 times a week. This could be a really decent job to have during that time.

I'm working on getting references to them currently. I've done literally everything else to do. They'll also fingerprint me and perform a background, as per state law. It'll all come back clean and I should get this job if I get to that stage. Only downside is I'm on the hook for the cost of all that and it'll be deducted from my pay.

All in all, I'm excited right now. The only bad thing currently is that I have a shit English teacher next semester according to RateMyProfessor, but I have a meeting with my academic advisor to change that tomorrow. Hopefully there's more options. I'm really satisfied with all my other teachers. Not happy with all of them though.

My calculus teacher is very hands-off just like my precalc class, so no lectures, no help, I'm essentially on my own. I did my precalc work in 8 weeks (15 weeks worth of work) so I think I can do this though. It was the exact same, no lectures, no help, even on the same platform.

My art teacher apparently keeps a hefty workload but it's easy. The only thing is you gotta stay on task and not slip behind as that can negatively affect your grade.

My fundamentals of speech teacher is apparently amazing (that's my only in person class). The only complaints I saw were about the class itself as they don't like speech class or the technicalities around it.

My computer science teacher hasn't been assigned yet.

My English teacher apparently is AWFUL. Requires an insane amount of reading, will deduct points for no reason, and gives 0s for citation errors. That's why I'm getting rid of her class and changing teachers, with the help of my completion coach tomorrow.

Sorry for the journal entry-esque post, just wanted to update everyone and feel like I wanted to tell someone.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
It sounds like you are on a good path. It is a good idea to anticipate problems (like a poor teacher) and navigate around around them.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
It sounds like you are on a good path. It is a good idea to anticipate problems (like a poor teacher) and navigate around around them.
Yeah that's my intentions here. My completion coach never got back to me about our meeting so I scheduled one through the college on Monday, around 2:30