• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Bitterman1996

Bitterman1996

Student
May 20, 2020
tldr dropped out from university at 20, entered at 15/16. Got really depressed. Have no degree and had no formal job history. I'm 25 now.

Maybe it's not too late but it really feels like it... I want to try again with uni but when i graduate it's going to be at age 29/30 and job market is really bleak not to mention the wage is often not liveable. Not to mention a lot of company just don't accept older candidates for their junior/entry position. I never have any particular passion towards anything, even towards the things i like it feels difficult to pursue because art isnt the most sustainable job out there. Either "i made it" freelancing as an artist or stumble to the job market as a close to 30 yo. Either way it's just depressing. Everytime i think about it, it's just doomed... I feel like my depression seeps out to other people as well, i cant hide it even online, especially interacting to those that are seemingly more well-adjusted than me is just painful. I am still going to apply to online uni this year but i really dont think i got it and might fail again.

It's painful to think about and it's not like I can loosely share this to people, since most people think my prior university course i dropped out from as something prestigious, i feel like they would just judge me for not completing the degree. My options are understandably increasingly limited. On top of barely being functional. My chest hurts so bad rn and i cant sleep...

• Hugs
Reactions: Chemical Animal
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
I appreciate what you're feeling - I started what I guess is my 'career' much later than what people are taught to accept is normal. Even when you feel that you have limited options and are behind where you want to be, progress is good. When depression drags you way down and you have to work to get out, it sucks, really does. But you can work and overcome and build something good, however small.

Octavia

Octavia

“I’d… rather kill myself.”
Mar 4, 2023
You would be surprised by the amount of old people that are in uni. 25 is considered to be fairly young, so you have plenty of time to turn your life around and enjoy it even if you have just begun now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sulyya
Remeer

Remeer

-
Mar 8, 2023
More than age, the important thing is to know if you really want to start studying that and if you have the motivation to go all the way, also consider if you will go for something you like or something that is profitable, and age is certainly a general issue in life, make it clear that they will judge you for whatever, so in the end what matters to you is what you think, what you live and how you experience it
be calm, it could be a good experience, apart from the fact that if you study the same you will have an advantage
If you are interested in studying something and you are concerned about whether it will help you find a profitable job, it would be convenient to consult with the people you live with, expressing what you feel, and quite interesting ideas may arise.
greetings

C

coolintheshade

Mar 13, 2023
tldr dropped out from university at 20, entered at 15/16. Got really depressed. Have no degree and had no formal job history. I'm 25 now.

Maybe it's not too late but it really feels like it... I want to try again with uni but when i graduate it's going to be at age 29/30 and job market is really bleak not to mention the wage is often not liveable.
Don't stress the decision. I'll say take some time out, find a temp job to keep you busy, and use your free time to reflect and decide a course you feel passionate about, and let this be the deciding factor for you will like to study. Never too late to go back to school. Many people including myself went back later in life and graduated with distiction.

Flores de Abril

Flores de Abril

Mar 8, 2023
Honestly u are just as able to go to university as you were when u were 15, depending on where u live u actually may be able to restart your course from where u left off (at least where I live this is a possibility)

But most importantly is to ask yourself what you actually want, many times when people go to uni younger they go for the major that their parents want them (this also can be said about people who start at 18) not what they wanted. If you want to go to uni again then great! There are a lot of older people that go to uni, one of my classmates is 40, so 25 isn't soooooo old as you feel. But also it is okay if you don't want to go to university, there are plenty of other carrers that u can go for withou a degree, you can be a firefighter, a small bussiness owner, a carpenter, a plumber (that in some places are actually pay really well), a pastry chef or even continue as an artist as you are already doing

Depression can really seem like all hope is lost, i understand how you fell and it might be harder to get in the job market later than others, but honestly most people graduate at what? 22? You are not that behind from them, and even if you were there is always a new path that u can take, don't lose hope in yourself, there still will be a new sunrise tomorrow

Tldr: university is overated

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
The longer you wait, the worse it will be.

Get it done now while you can, if you want to.

Or you'll be like me - 35 with no career and pushing 40 by the time you got a new degree.

Bitterman1996

Bitterman1996

Student
May 20, 2020
You would be surprised by the amount of old people that are in uni. 25 is considered to be fairly young, so you have plenty of time to turn your life around and enjoy it even if you have just begun now.
Honestly... I know to a certain degree but it really feels work culture in my country is a bit ageist. Recent laws also made companies hiring people on a contract basis rather than fully employed.

And uhh i didnt expect my vent post would have this many replies, i really appreciate it. I'm reading the advice/replies carefully though as I'm typing this one i dont think im capable to reply one by one... Sorry beforehand, still... 🫂 have a good day/night for anyone reading this post right now...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sulyya
Ceterum

Ceterum

Aug 10, 2022
I was 30 when I started from scratch and I got a decently paid job right after graduating. It's not too late, I can assure you. Maybe pick a subject which is in demand and go for it - I mean, on the flipside, judging from the information you provided you might win alot and can loose little by trying?

CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Archaon, Herald of the Apocalypse
Dec 24, 2022
This is how I feel on a daily basis. That it is already over for me. I wouldn't even know where to start rebuilding my shattered reality. If I start working again or give community college/university another try I'll probably just quit it sometime down the road like I always have. I'm 24 myself so it seems like "oh I'm entering my prime or I've still got so many opportunities and a long life ahead of me" but it really doesn't feel like that.

This exact dialogue plays in my mind when I think about myself and my future