Electra

Electra

In sleep's embrace, forever estranged
Jul 1, 2024
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I'm not new to anxiety, hopelessness, gut-wrenching guilt, and many other emotions that I think connect us all here. I'm not sure if I need an introduction to join the support group, but I want to get better. It's been a rollercoaster with my improvements, and frankly, I'm not even sure where I stand right now. Sometimes I think I don't even know what I feel because I've been swallowing my emotions for so long. If you asked me how my recovery has been, I wouldn't have an answer, but I definitely know that this is not how I want to feel and react to the world around me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, HighFlight and mango-meridian
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I'm not new to anxiety, hopelessness, gut-wrenching guilt, and many other emotions that I think connect us all here. I'm not sure if I need an introduction to join the support group, but I want to get better. It's been a rollercoaster with my improvements, and frankly, I'm not even sure where I stand right now. Sometimes I think I don't even know what I feel because I've been swallowing my emotions for so long. If you asked me how my recovery has been, I wouldn't have an answer, but I definitely know that this is not how I want to feel and react to the world around me.
You don't need an introduction! Hope you find support and resources here to help.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Electra and HighFlight
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
It's been a bit of a roller coaster experience so far, but their approach and knowledge on trauma is outstanding. I almost feel safe. I haven't felt safe for years.
This has been some of the best news in a while. Thank you for sharing, and I truly hope that this path continues for you. Please keep us updated as you progress (if you're able.) FWIW, I personally feel you're doing the right thing for you and your family. STAY STRONG! and know I'm rooting for you. 💙

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
Hi @Electra, welcome to our thread. No formal introductions are required.

Sometimes I think I don't even know what I feel because I've been swallowing my emotions for so long.
I feel I can relate to this.. Although I've been neurodivergent since childhood and experienced my share of trauma, depression anxiety and loneliness, I was good at hiding my emotion behind the stronger logical side of my brain.

End result, I have no idea how I "feel" - I simply exist. I fake normal when I have to, but even that's getting too difficult.

Share what you feel comfortable sharing with the group. And know you can always dm me if you want to talk or have a question.

Welcome, and I wish you a little peace while you're here. 🫂

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: mango-meridian, Praestat_Mori and Electra
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
PSA Announcement
It is funny that I'm here but using it primarily for recovery (for now).
You have the ability to hide the different forums in your preferences. This means if you want to focus on Recovery right now with the distraction of the Suicide forum, you can hide the Suicide forum. And since they are your preferences, you can change them at any time.

• Hugs
Reactions: mango-meridian and Praestat_Mori
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Pursuing recovery seriously, Godspeed
May 9, 2024
I think I'm going to take a break from SS for the sake of my own mental health. I'm not ready to leave the forum permanently and I'll likely be back in a few days. Something bad happened to someone on here that I cared about. The fact that they were a fellow healthcare worker makes it a very difficult pill to swallow.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: HighFlight, mango-meridian, ilikehamsters and 1 other person
Electra

Electra

In sleep's embrace, forever estranged
Jul 1, 2024
And know you can always dm me if you want to talk or have a question.
I think it's because I'm fairly new in here I can not message you first (or I'm doing something wrong and can't find how to dm you haha).

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: HighFlight and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Hello All. Nice to see the new and old names here.

I've been a little bit silent the past few weeks.. I finally checked into the trauma clinic and thought I'd spend the first few weeks focusing on me (somewhat of a novelty). It's been a bit of a roller coaster experience so far, but their approach and knowledge on trauma is outstanding. I almost feel safe. I haven't felt safe for years.

I hope this continues…
That's great news! I'm glad they can help you in the trauma clinic. All the best!!:heart:

I think it's because I'm fairly new in here I can not message you first (or I'm doing something wrong and can't find how to dm you haha).
Welcome @Electra hover with the mouse over the username then click "start conversation". That's it.

PM7243798324

• Hugs
Reactions: Electra
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I just noticed your post count. Direct messages and chat are earned through posting. Keep posting. Start a new thread. Reply to existing threads.

Those permissions will be granted once you've reached the magic number. Then you'll see the options that @Praestat_Mori is talking about.

killorbekilled

killorbekilled

manhwa reader, mentally unwell
Oct 3, 2024
sometimes i'm in pain and get so scared and tired and then something inside me just breaks. i'd really like to get better but I don't see myself being happy.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Musiclover338, HighFlight and Praestat_Mori
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
sometimes i'm in pain and get so scared and tired and then something inside me just breaks. i'd really like to get better but I don't see myself being happy.
Welcome to the thread, and I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I have so many questions, but take your time to become comfortable with this site and the members here. Then, when you're ready share some more details.

In the meantime, I hope you can find a little peace in knowing that you are now surrounded by people who are going through similar problems - you are not alone. 🫂

• Hugs
Meowsies

Meowsies

Jul 4, 2023
I feel desperately lonely. I would like to find a recovery partner as I feel I will certainly die the next month if I don't find support. I want to believe I can recover, but I can't do it alone. Does anyone want to be my recovery partner? Or if there's any group on social media geared towards recovery I would like to join, if possible.

• Hugs
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
Hi @Meowsies, I'm sorry you've ended up on this site however am glad you found this thread. Loneliness has become an epidemic, especially as we turn away from IRL interactions in favor of more anonymous transactions.

There is a thread specifically for people looking for recovery partners ().

If you're interested, dm me with more information about yourself and what you're looking for in a recovery partner. No promises, but I'll do what I can help you.

In the meantime, I hope you can find a little peace to get through these trying times. 💙

• Hugs
depressedlittleboy

depressedlittleboy

Jul 18, 2023
I want to join the recovery support group. I feel much better now that Im healing from my trauma and affirming myself as a trans man

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and mango-meridian
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I want to join the recovery support group. I feel much better now that Im healing from my trauma and affirming myself as a trans man
Welcome to the thread. I'm glad you recovery is reached a point that you can participate in the thread.

There's no formal steps you need to take. Just start posting your thoughts and feelings, and reacting / responding to others.

• Hugs
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

May 9, 2024
I'm getting 2 new tattoos later this week and super excited about it. I haven't gotten any new ones for years already. I won't say what the tattoos are but both are meaningful and dedicated to people who made my life better.

• Love
Reactions: Cloud Busting, vanillamilkshakes, HighFlight and 2 others
killorbekilled

killorbekilled

manhwa reader, mentally unwell
Oct 3, 2024
Can we stay mostly anonymous with recovery partners? like we can talk to each other and chat normally like talking to some stranger on social media without giving any personal info away.

• Hugs
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Can we stay mostly anonymous with recovery partners? like we can talk to each other and chat normally like talking to some stranger on social media without giving any personal info away.
You only share what you wanna share.

• Hugs
Reactions: HighFlight
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
You only share what you wanna share.
Totally agree! You're in control of what you share or don't. At the same time, also be sure to exercise caution. The person on the other end of that message is anonymous as well.

• Hugs
vanillamilkshakes

vanillamilkshakes

Aspiring Corpse
Aug 26, 2024
I'm getting 2 new tattoos later this week and super excited about it. I haven't gotten any new ones for years already. I won't say what the tattoos are but both are meaningful and dedicated to people who made my life better.
how did it go!

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and HighFlight
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
So I have had quite a significant change. Moved countries. Which has been good - I really thrive in being busy with paperwork and logistics and admin and planning. Now found and settled into my new address, but seem to have regressed a ton. Moving my possessions between storage units meant I have been reunited with a giant cuddly toy that I was never particularly close to, nor really remember getting (its not from childhood). But here I am, feeling kinda cosy about 80% unpacked in an en suite box room (house with 7 rooms!) but hugging this giant cuddly toy and also sucking my thumb now too. I'm mid 30s. Big thumb sucker as a kid but stopped when inappropriate as a teen and had had to be told to by orthodontist. But maybe hugging a giant teddy and sucking my thumb is better then SH? Got 3 weeks before my new job starts (hence the relocation to sort paperwork in time), so can allow myself a bit of 'kid' time before needing to work out adulting again. Need to ease off the alcohol too.

• Hugs
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
@ConfusedClouds - Congrats on the move and the new job. I hope that, overall, this is a good move for you and that everything goes well. But with so much change happening at once, it would be considered normal to have some anxiety. How you deal with it is what's important.

It sounds like you're handling very well. Having something to hold tight and some self-soothing sounds like a good plan if it's working for you and keeping you from SH or diving too deep into the bottle.

Please know that if you need to talk, we're here. It may feel lonely, but you're not alone.

Wishing you all the best! 💙

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: mango-meridian, Praestat_Mori and ConfusedClouds
D

DumbWays2Die

Oct 2, 2024
Hey folks. A question for the people who got better - How did you maintain the motivation/determination to keep doing what was required to bring about the desired change in your lifestyle? In my case, I work as a software developer - but my current team is shit and the work even shittier. I am trying to develop my skills and do projects for at least something to show up on my resume, as it has been left bare blank from the work I have been doing for the past 3 years.

I try to upskill for at least 30 minutes every day, keep saying to myself - don't think about motivation, keep doing it as a routine, but I will fizzle out after a week or two, and any progress I had made would be gone. And after some time, if I try to start things up again, I look at the mountain of work I have to do to get out of this, and feel like killing myself (figuratively, or so I would hope). Almost turned into an alcoholic, but my doctor warned me, and I have reduced it to almost nil now.

Anyone who has been able to overcome this? Thanks.

• Hugs
Reactions: HighFlight, mango-meridian and Praestat_Mori
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
Hate how I go from all to nothing with my reactions. Can't trust myself and as such that reflects on not knowing who or how to trust others.

Can't work out if I'm too demanding or just protecting myself. Here there is a distinct shortage of accommodation so in some ways the 'power' is with the landlords. Been asking questions but now got myself worried that I'll upset them. Don't even know what I want for accommodation. But I have somewhere.

Equally have moved 3-4 weeks before my potential start date so that I can get all the admin/paperwork sorted. Things starting to fall in place but I feel like 3 weeks is ages to be waiting. Especially as I am not getting much reassurance or help from my new employer. But its my choice to have looked for a job overseas, not their choice to recruit me from overseas. Need to be patient but I just struggle with that. And now a bitbon edge that I'm gonna end up upsetting my landlord and have to find somewhere else asap. But then thats probably also a bit of cultural difference (I'm a very apologetic awkward over polite sheepish Brit), so never know if its me being normal or me stopping myself being stitched up.

I am just counting down to getting the job actually started so then I know more about when/where/how with the actual job and people and hope that things become easier then.

I guess it is making me nervous that they haven't confirmed the details of me starting. Bit of chicken and egg scenario. I need certain paperwork in place to start but don't wanna commit to too much if its not 10000% sure I will have enough in place to be able to start.

Oh yea - I over analyse and overthink EVERYTHING. And then mess up articulating concerns - so just have to keep myself to myself and 'get on with it' as asking questions or raising these concerns just creates a big scene and spirals me into more frustrations.

This is where the alcohol kicks in for me - that warming feeling of reassurance/hug/confidence. And also now the cuddly toy/thumbsucking, though the awkward conversation with my landlord means I feel less 'secure' in my room in case I have messed anything up there.

Sorry, bit of a vent (and also highlights why I should not bother trying to explain myself - I never make the point how I want/should/could).

• Hugs
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Greetings after a long departure! I have not caught up with this thread. Nice to see @HighFlight is still here. I hope @UsagiDrop is well.

——————-

I was not in recovery for awhile. I was not actively suicidal, but struggling with substance abuse. I'm doing better now and I feel like I'm finally in a place to return to this community. I'm happy it's still here.

Best wishes to everyone lurking/posting/

• Love
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
@Cloud Busting - Welcome back! I hope you've gotten the substance abuse under control for now and am glad you're doing better. As expected, the dynamics of the thread have changed. We have a few new people, and every now and then, a legacy such as yourself drops in to say hi. We're glad you did. 🫂

@ConfusedClouds - My apologies, as I meant to reply sooner, and am hoping that the week may have help settle things down for you.

Oh yea - I over analyse and overthink EVERYTHING. And then mess up articulating concerns - so just have to keep myself to myself and 'get on with it' as asking questions or raising these concerns just creates a big scene and spirals me into more frustrations.
I can relate to this - spent a lifetime doing this. For me, I've found that "articulating concerns" in the form of a question has helped me. For example, "didn't we talk about these specific benefits?" This helps the other person to see what you're concerned about without having to directly challenge them. And trust becomes a major part of that. I'm fortunate to work for a company that truly emphasizes Trust and Transpaency. It makes having those conversations much easier.

But you're in an interesting situation - haven't started, but have relocated in preparation. Spend these couple weeks getting used to your new surroundings, exploring and discovering where all the places you'll need to go to are, and maybe even find some interest-based social groups. Something to keep you busy, and maybe even have some fun in the meantime.

How did you maintain the motivation/determination to keep doing what was required to bring about the desired change in your lifestyle?
LOL- Personally, I don't and am struggling with my relevance to humankind. I have so many things I'd like to change and do that I cannot find where to start. And thanks to various MH issues - primarily ADHD - I can get started on something and can't finish it (or finishing it take a huge amount of time and effort.) Since my diagnoses can late in life (just within the past few years), it seems like things are getting worse for me. Sorry for the venting...

In your situation, it's great that you're setting aside time to improve your skills. As far as your resume goes, don't forget about your 'soft skills'. These skill are more easily transferred to different jobs. As an example, if you are able to explain technical concepts to non-technical people, or conversely, translate non-technical requirements into technical specifications, these are in high demand. And as a developer, I'm sure you've done some of this in the past. Soft skills are more difficult to teach - you may not be the best developer, but a average developer with strong soft skills will probably get the job over the awesome developer.

As far as your technical skills, find a project online that you're interested in (could be a practice project or an open-source project on GitHub) and work to contribute to that project. Look for a project that you have some interest in. The goal would be to practice while doing some that is interesting and hopefully fun for you.

Ok, @Lady Laudanum, it's been almost a week... How the tattoos turn out? Hopefully, they are everything you wanted.

I wish you all a little peace this upcoming weekend and beyond. 💙

• Hugs
Reactions: ConfusedClouds and Praestat_Mori
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

May 9, 2024
Ok, @Lady Laudanum, it's been almost a week... How the tattoos turn out? Hopefully, they are everything you wanted.
I'm super happy with how both tattoos turned out. One of the tattoos is in an area that a lot of people consider super painful but tbh it was not that bad. However, everything is relative. I have 2 tattoos on my chest already and those were actually painful.

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedClouds, Praestat_Mori and HighFlight