• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

D1byRam3n

D1byRam3n

Trying to escape from cruel reality
Nov 14, 2023
Don't worry you're not feeling that alone everyone is same here just like you,probably idk...because im not really knowing them pretty well...but oh well whatever,don't mind me...im just being spouting nonsense...
I don't know where to go or who to see... I'm at work so I'm trying to keep it together... I'm trying to not go with the urge to jump off the helipad. I want to go...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, ColorlessTrees and 4 others
RenaSrar

RenaSrar

Nov 1, 2023
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Do you need someone to talk to? And will you be at work for much longer? I hope that the feeling you're having passes, or that you can find the strength to keep it together for a little while longer, although it is completely fine to not be okay. But being in distress at work especially is really difficult, I know.

I think you're communication skill is just fine! Thank you for wishing us well, I had a pretty nice day today. I got to try a new coffee place and what I had was actually really good, I just wish it was closer to my house, haha.

Did you also have a nice day today? I hope that you did, and that you'll have a better one tomorrow, too.

I hope that you will! You definitely deserve it.

It's good that you've been having good days lately, and that you've been getting back into some old hobbies of yours. I know what you mean about the sadness that you feel when engaging in them, though. I think it's okay to grieve the things you've lost to your depression, though. I hope you can find some hope as you continue to explore your old pastimes and passions; whenever things are lost, it just makes room for the new things we will find in the future!

Thank you all for listening to me! 💛

Acceptance may not be recovery, but I think for certain intents and purposes, it can be. I'm sorry about that realization that you and your therapist have had, but I still have hope. If nothing else, acceptance means that you are in a place where you can learn how to cope so that you can endure things for a while longer. That would be a lot harder to do if you were in denial, probably.

If it helps, until you can put yourself first, you certainly are helping all of us all you're helping your family every day with your sacrifices.
I want someone to talk to but then I don't. Ugh I'm so confused

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, Cloud Busting, HighFlight and 4 others
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
things are hard, my lawyer is awesome, ex continues to be a piece of shit and lower the bar on scummery. threatening, taunting, insulting like a fucking crybaby. im guessing it means i did something right, he probably lost several friends due to my actions. good. even with things tipped in my favor, ive started having small panic attacks most of the time my phone buzzes or i have to check a certain messenger app. no one should be in fear of looking at their phone like this. believe me if i could block him i would; im getting a restraining order as soon as my property gets back to me but until then i have to endure the onslaught of horrible bullshit to make sure he doesn't have any grounds to steal/ damage more than he already had. the fucker already told me he's going through my journals/diaries i was forced to leave behind. the writings i used as a coping mechanism, my worst private thoughts and feelings. i just want my fathers records and my dead families heirlooms. why the fuck does anyone have to be this disgusting.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, Cloud Busting, HighFlight and 5 others
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
I want someone to talk to but then I don't. Ugh I'm so confused
I get being confused or conflicted. You don't have to, but there will always be a space to talk here. Even if you just come here to vent sometimes, we will read it. I'm wishing you peace and I hope that you get through what you're going through.
why the fuck does anyone have to be this disgusting.
Unfortunately people act the way that they do because of their own unchecked problems. Being disgusting gives some people a sense of power and control. I'm not surprised that he would want to hold your items hostage, it's the last piece of leverage that he has over you so he's absolutely going to use it to further abuse you. But understanding why isn't important, I think the bottom line is that he's just a rotten person and it's a good thing you're leaving him there to rot where he's at. You definitely did the right thing.

I'm really sorry you're going through this still though, I hope that this chapter of your life can end soon. He sounds horrible but thank you for updating us!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, D1byRam3n, HighFlight and 4 others
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I am once again extremely behind on this thread.

@I Can't Say you haven't been here in a few days, but I'm considering converting a Unitarian Universalist Primer I borrowed from my fellowship into a PDF. PM me if you come back and are interested. Anyone here can feel free to do so.

So I may have a job! Hoping to find out on Wednesday.

CEAAD5CE 91E3 4B7E B735 607BBB4B8793

Look what I started again!

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, cactusflower, D1byRam3n and 6 others
D1byRam3n

D1byRam3n

Trying to escape from cruel reality
Nov 14, 2023
Hi...again wish everyone have a nice day even though our life still goes on with our struggle and no need to worry about me, im doing fine, probably...idk

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, LoiteringClouds, Praestat_Mori and 4 others
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Hey everyone!

@lita-lassi it's good to hear from you again, and I'm glad that your lawyer continues to be awesome. I'm sorry that you're having panic attacks over looking at your phone, though. It sounds like you have good reason for it given how awful and abusive your ex is, but you're right that nobody should ever have to be in that position. I hope that you get your stuff back ASAP so you won't have to hear from him anymore and will be able to feel (at least a little bit) more safe on a day to day basis. The journals thing truly sounds like the cherry on top of the asshole cake. If somebody read my journal I'd completely lose my shit, so reading that made me angry on your behalf. I'm sorry you have to endure this. Again, I hope that things work out in your favor with this court case and getting your things back, and please do continue to keep us updated!

Look what I started again!
Good for you for starting your list again, and congrats on (potentially?) getting the job! Have you found out for sure yet?

Things are continuing to be better for me. It's in a sort of up & down way, but the up & down wave thingie is slowly getting higher and higher, so that's good news. My brother is in town for Thanksgiving, which has been good for my mental health. For the past 3 days I actually left the house to walk around with him, so I've spent more time outside & walking around than I have in a month (maybe two?!). I also had another really good therapy session yesterday and dug into some past stuff that needed/needs working through.

Last night I finally tried meditating again for the first time in a month, which was not fun because of all the pent up anxiety that I have. I'm still pretty much a giant knot physically speaking, and I still physically & emotionally feel like I need to be in survival mode and like I'm not safe even though I technically am. Everything that's happened to me over the past six months since my move– hell, over the past year as well– has been a lot, and I still haven't figured out how to feel OK and move past it. The good news, at least, is that I'm finally almost in the place to start processing it all and getting back to feeling physically & emotionally safer again.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, LoiteringClouds, HighFlight and 3 others
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
I've been keeping up despite my silence, and I read everyone's posts and wish you all well. Oftentimes I don't post because what I would have responded with has already been said, and I hate coming here just to talk about myself.

@UsagiDrop I meant to respond a while back to your situation. It sounds extremely difficult, but I'm glad you were able to be there for your partner.

@Cloud Busting Great to hear you got back to the lists. I feel it's beneficial to have a tangible means of seeing your tasks or progress, even if it's small. And here's hoping you get the job!

@sadwriter I'm really happy to hear things are beginning to get better for longer. I'm hoping it stays this way for you, too.

My mood is all over the place with some bad dips recently. Cycle was late, which basically fucks the rest of my month and makes it all random. On a more positive note, I've been able to use my extensive free time (now) to study, although I'm still struggling with the language. Today and yesterday I managed to study for an estimate of 3-4 hours each, though. It could be better, but the difference of environment helps I feel. I've also been able to do my self care consistently, something I struggle with.
Being here makes my future feel entirely tangible and real, which it already was, but I think it's renewed my motivation to recover. Even just having a "family" that is close and allows me into that closeness helps tremendously. I hate my home environment, and I fear returning will be that much harder.

I'm clearly poor at expressing myself/conversationally, but I really do enjoy following this thread.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, LoiteringClouds, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US! It can be a stressful holiday, so I hope everyone gets through it and gets to have some good food

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, Cloud Busting and 3 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Oh, wait, is this an actual support group megathread? This is a nice idea. I'd vent and ask for support but unfortunately I'm all out of energy to due to depression. I might later.

How is everybody else doing?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, LoiteringClouds, sadwriter and 2 others
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Happy thanksgiving to my fellow Americans! I hope you all had a good one and were free from family stresses. If not, I'm here for you if you need to vent!

I had quite the busy thanksgiving! I had a lovely dinner at my UU fellowship. I shared two blessings I'm thankful for: 1) for the food- which I consumed mindfully and gracefully while savoring each bite- provided to me by a second family I'm happy to be apart of, and 2) for being able to exist at all as a mere speck of dust on something much more vast and grand than I'll ever be. If a nuclear blast wiped out the human species tomorrow, the earth would still thrive. I have no reason to exist in a great thing full of beauty and wonder, and for that I am grateful.

My lovely church dinner:

001FE52F CE47 40BE 9A4A 3FBDC7C117B5

I honestly wanted to stay at church because I felt so at home, yet left early to see my sister. I followed up at my paternal grandparents house, then at maternal grandma's house. I was fed two dinners! Well, actually no. All I ate at my sister's was pumpkin pie and half a serving of mashed sweet potatoes. Still feeling very blessed and happy I had a decent thanksgiving. I feel guilty to know others aren't as fortunate, tho.

At my paternal grandparent's house my suicide attempted was mentioned yet again. It was very awkward. My grandfather told me that God saved me because it wasn't my time to go. You're telling me a divine being decides if my suffering outweighs my joy in life rather than myself? If life is that injustice and unfair, why on earth should I live in it?

I understand my grandpa meant no malice, but I just feel really bothered at this whole putting myself below a powerful deity thing. I prefer to think I have the most power and say over my life, not God (tho the reality is capitalism likely has the largest power over my life, lol.)

I had nasty withdrawals from my effexor and was unable to make the pecan crust pumpkin pie and three sisters stew I wanted to make. I almost didn't celebrate because I wasn't feeling the greatest. Thanksgiving is just another day to me anyway. It's an excuse to be gluttonous heathen and capitalize on and whitewash the colonialism of Native Americans. Of course, I celebrate it regardless because I'm a hypocrite and don't like feeling lonely. Fortunately the withdrawals are mostly gone by now and I had a good time so I'm glad I celebrated.

Here's a list I made a few days ago. I haven't made one since because I was sick and then Thanksgiving happened.

23716074 7757 400D AF7A 1BB228DFCC26

Tomorrow (or later today technically as it's 2 am, lol) will tell if I keep up with or abandon the habit.

I've been selfish the last few times I've posted and haven't responded to you lovely folks. Today is the day I break that cycle.

@HighFlight Are you still interested in embarking on a spiritual journey for recovery purposes? I don't think it's for everyone, but you can always opt out of it if it's not your jam.

@UsagiDrop You've been through a lot within the past week. I don't think you're pathetic for feeling lonely. Stress often does that. I'm so sorry about the situation with your hours. Do you have a temp agency in your area? Many that hire for seasonal jobs offer a permanent offer towards the end of the contract. It's not a guarantee however, so if that doesn't provide enough security, I understand why you'd rather keep your current job.

Trying to find a job this time of year is... an interesting experience, I must say. I hope this job works out, even tho the pay is shit. I will know if I have an offer after my background and health department checks go through.

Also, it's definitely overwhelming to support a suicidal partner, even if you yourself are suicidal (perhaps even more so.) I hope you're not hard on yourself for feeling torn. I don't think you're a shitty partner whatsoever. You seem to care a great deal. Good luck on the marriage!

@sadwriter I'm happy to hear you were able to get an outfit for your event. You should be really proud that you got published! I'm sorry you had to miss the event, but it's really cool you're able to think positively and ponder upcoming possibilities. You're stronger than me. I'd be crushed.

The upswings you mention are striking. I too have episodic depression, but I never experience hypomanic or anything. I just accept that life sucks and that I don't particularly like myself. In addition, I have some glimmer of hope things can get better and no longer suffer from anhedonia, so I'm able to gain enough enjoyment out of life to want to continue. For the first time after exiting a depression in my life, I actually feel deserving and worthy of respect. However I still have down days and bouts of despair, but I feel mostly content.

I cannot relate at all to what you describe. Why was bipolar II ruled out for you if you don't mind explaining?

Also you're not the only one with a negative experience with meditation. I went to a 45 minute meditation group 2-3 weeks ago and it made me cognizant of the physical stress I was carrying throughout my body. It was very unnerving and distressing. Since the exercise, I have been working on trying to keep my muscles relaxed through the day. I haven't worked up the gal to go through meditation again though, lol! I'm proud of you for giving it a shot again. It takes a lot of dedication to stick with for sure!

@lita-lassi I'm happy to hear you have access to a good lawyer. I'm sorry you have to prolong trauma in order to receive justice. You are strong for going through this and I'm glad your ex is getting his comeuppance.

@ColorlessTrees I hope you treat yourself with compassion when you experience suicidal thoughts. I still experience them too. I just remind myself that I'm going through them for a reason, and that now is the time to be gentle with myself. They will likely pass. I also remind myself that I'm making progress because they don't occur as often. I'm also able to distract myself from them fairly easily. I'm glad you are too!

@RenaSrar How are you? Any updates?

@ijustwishtodie No worries if you can't respond right now, or if you decide lurking is a better fit. This thread is whatever you get out of it and there are no right or wrong answers.[/spoiler]

Attachments

• 6C751C0E-C037-422A-8C2F-49C105B4C2CE.jpeg
    6C751C0E-C037-422A-8C2F-49C105B4C2CE.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, LoiteringClouds and 5 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

Oct 29, 2023
@Cloud Busting thank you. Hopefully I'll manage to reply later. It sucks I'm like this tho as I'm way behind on uni work as well as life overall and I got no energy to do anything

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, LoiteringClouds and 4 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

Oct 29, 2023
I got some more energy than I did before albeit I still don't have enough for basic tasks or to focus on things like uni work or personal development. Though now I can vent.

Firstly, I don't even know where to start. I mean, the issues themselves aren't even that bad for a normal person but they are for me. I think that illustrates just how much of an incompetent, shitty thing I am. But here goes nothing.

I'm not too sure why I am depressed in the first place but I'm confident that it's due to a life situation as opposed to brain chemistry. For one, my neurotype is absolutely fucked as I got autism as well as some sort of anxiety (not sure which one yet) as well as panic attacks when trying to interact with people. I've been like this all my life but I obviously can't be like this forever or else I'd die without having to ctb. I know the only way to fix this is to brute force it and interact with others anyway but.. I just can't.

Secondly, I wish I could get a job to support myself but I can't due to the above reason. I've applied to many places, only got two interviews and a whole bunch of rejections. I know I should just keep on applying until I, by some luck, get hired. But I don't have any self esteem to. Or could I even call it self esteem? A low self esteem implies putting yourself down than what you actually are but I'm not doing that as I'm being realistic about myself. I genuinely don't have any skills, even skills that people naturally acquire such as social skills, resilience etc

Thirdly, I can't work on myself or improve at all. I'm too lazy and depressed. And this in turn is making me more depressed so it's like a cycle that perpetuates itself. How do I break out of this cycle? I can't even do small tasks or indulge in baby steps

Fourthly, anhedonia. It sucks. Because of this, I got no interests hence nothing to talk about hence no friends

I don't even know if I could be helped because only I can save myself right? Yet I refuse or maybe I'm too incompetent to save myself?

I need some help and support..

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, ColorlessTrees, LoiteringClouds and 6 others
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
@ijustwishtodie - Welcome to the group, and thank you for sharing your story with us. That is a great first step, and I would count it as a small task to help break that cycle.

the issues themselves aren't even that bad for a normal person but they are for me.
Some of the issues you listed are struggles for many people, even the norms - no job, low self-esteem. But you listed several other issues they don't need to deal with - autism, anxiety, anhedonia. So don't sell your feelings short, you're deal with a lot of things.

I don't even know if I could be helped because only I can save myself right? Yet I refuse or maybe I'm too incompetent to save myself?
It's a nice little meme quote - "Only you can save yourself" - but it takes support from many others to make it happen. You have to have the will power and be willing to work for it. But there are many other people, from family and friends, medical professionals and therapists, and even our support group, who can assist and support you.

We all have our different struggles we're going through that have brought to this site. This thread is a safe place where you can share your struggles and get the viewpoints, ideas and support from other members. It's also a thread where you can use your experiences to provide the same for others who post here. Personally, I have found helping others to be a way to help myself.

This is a public (although anonymous) forum, so share only what you feel comfortable sharing. And it you want to talk to someone privately, many of us are open to direct messages. Feel free to DM me.

For everyone else, I'm a little behind in replying to posts here, but have been reading them. I have not forgotten any of you, and will try to catch up soon.

For those in the US, I hope you all had a good and peaceful Thanksgiving yesterday. I found it a little ironic that the best part of my day was the time spent alone with wife and adult kids, cleaning up the mess from dinner after the extended family left.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, ColorlessTrees, LoiteringClouds and 5 others
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
@Cloud Busting Sounds like you had a great thanksgiving with the church! That food looks really good. Sorry you had that uncomfortable moment with your grandfather, though. I'd be pretty upset if someone brought up something that personal and difficult at Thanksgiving, let alone the whole God saving you because it "wasn't your time" part. It's also great that you've been able to get so much done, though. I hope that things continue in an overall upward trajectory for you (even if there are bumps along the way)!

Also, thanks for the kind words. I honestly probably wouldn't have been so positive about missing the reading if not for the fact that I was already in such a bad place that I was partly dreading going to it. I guess it's good that I didn't get sick while I was feeling good emotionally, or else I probably would have been crushed. As long as I keep writing, though, I'm hoping that I'll be able to have more opportunities like that come up in the future.

I don't want to go into too much detail about the whole bipolar II situation, but I didn't respond well to the medications I was given, and my mental health team came to the conclusion that my symptoms were coming from trauma rather than a mood disorder, which seems to make the most sense to me as well. It's weird, though, because when I originally got that (mis)diagnosis of bipolar II, I really identified with it and thought that it explained a lot, even though I now know that it wasn't true. I also don't meet the full criteria for PTSD/cPTSD/ BPD or any of those kinds of trauma-based disorders, so I'm kind of just floating around without a label. I'm not complaining, though, because I know that bipolar disorder can be really hard to manage, especially without meds.

I have to go now so I need to cut my replies short, but welcome to the thread @ijustwishtodie and it's good to hear from you again @HighFlight! I'll be back soon(ish). Hope everyone has a good day.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, ColorlessTrees and 5 others
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

Apr 27, 2023
How is everybody else doing?
Thank you for asking us, even though it seems like you're going through a tough time yourself. I'm hanging in there so I'm doing okay, although I kind of relate to what you said earlier, I'm pretty exhausted by depression right now. 😅

First of all, I wanna say that you are not some incompetent and shitty thing. You're a person that's struggling to play the hand you've been dealt, because unfortunately, this game of life isn't fair. Regardless of that though, I think any of those things would be hard to deal with for even the most well adjusted normie; not having any meaningful/fulfilling relationships, not having a job and not being able to support oneself, not finding happiness, satisfaction or even contentment in life, those are all tough things to go through. For you, there are other things compounding it as well, creating a unique situation that nobody should blame you for struggling with.

There's nothing wrong with or about you and I hope that you will come to be softer with yourself. There are a lot of things in life that we just can't tackle alone, so you don't have to "save yourself." I think it's like pulling yourself out of a ditch; you will have to do most of the heavy lifting to climb out, but it's so much easier and much more possible with people on the outside that are also helping to pull you up by that rope. That's why community is important, so, I'm really happy you've found your way here, and welcome to the thread!
How do I break out of this cycle?
I think we talk a lot about cycles in here, all of us must be stuck in one of them, one way or another. I can definitely understand the whole laziness into depression never ending whirlpool of doom thing because I go through that a lot too with cleaning and maintaining jobs.

Is there a reason, other than the laziness and feeling incompetent, that you think you can't improve? And if you don't mind answering, what areas do you think you need to improve in? From your post I'm getting that you want to improve in terms of self esteem, having relationships with others, and finding a job to support yourself, but perhaps there are other areas? I think both of those things you talked about boil down to working on putting yourself out there, which is hard when you don't have the self-esteem to do it, and I know that from experience right now because the job hunt is eating me alive. But sadly, although this answer is one we never want to hear (or at least I don't lol), the only way to stop a cycle is to break out of it and try something different. I know you feel like you can't take the baby steps, but why is that?

I think you took a baby step already by reaching out and posting in here; you're attempting to make a connection with others and you're asking for help and support. That is already a great thing! I'm happy that you felt safe to do that.
I've been selfish the last few times I've posted and haven't responded to you lovely folks.
It's never selfish to not respond to others and just vent for yourself! We don't mind if you do that at all, I'm sure everyone is just happy to hear from you and get an update. It's great that you've started your lists again, and that you've had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. The food does look really yummy, honestly! I also dislike the whole "well-meaning evangelizing of a suicide attempt over a holiday dinner" scenario and I'm sorry you went through that. At least we know our loved ones mean no harm, but it is pretty annoying to hear all the same, haha.
Trying to find a job this time of year is... an interesting experience, I must say.
Yes, it is, but honestly I know that it's a slim chance and that's actually what makes me feel a little better about things. I'm expecting the rejections and just trying to get used to them. And if by some stroke of luck I get a job, even better! I was thinking about the suggestion you gave me and applied to some jobs to work with children too, so maybe I'll hear back from those sooner.

I definitely considered a temp agency before but I don't really think a temporary position will do me any good right now, so while this job is mostly secure for now, I'll just try to hook another full time position.

Some unknown number called me today and I was too afraid to answer it, I feel like it would be something to do with a bill every time. But immediately afterwards I started beating myself up because that could have been a job calling, sigh. One day I'm going to get the hang of this thing called being an adult, I hope. I wish you luck with your job, I'll keep my
fingers crossed that they get back to you with an offer for a position!

Thank you for the well wishes on the wedding. I still don't really know how to feel so I'm stalling again on that unfortunately.

I don't really have any updates. I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving but I am thankful for this group and for this space. This week I only had four drinks, and I didn't drink them every day. It would have been three but the demon in me told me to have one more since it was a holiday yesterday, but today I'm not drinking at all. I kind of want to, though.
I know that bipolar disorder can be really hard to manage, especially without meds.
I wanna cosign this, it is really hard to manage without meds. I feel really hopeless all the time with bipolar II so I'm glad you don't have this struggle. But I also think it's interesting how hard it is to diagnose and how many people end up getting a misdiagnosis of bipolar. It definitely makes me want a second and third opinion just to be sure.

• Hugs
  • Love
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I got some more energy than I did before albeit I still don't have enough for basic tasks or to focus on things like uni work or personal development. Though now I can vent.
It's easier to focus on what we've done wrong or haven't done rather than focus on what we've done right. This is why I'm trying to write daily accomplishment lists (although I haven't been good at keeping up on them. I'm not declaring my inconsistency a failure tho. Making some here and there is better than not making any at all, even if daily lists are the true goal.) That you pointed out you had the energy to vent and seek support is a great sign!

Firstly, I don't even know where to start. I mean, the issues themselves aren't even that bad for a normal person but they are for me. I think that illustrates just how much of an incompetent, shitty thing I am. But here goes nothing.
People process things differently. What's easy for some is hard for others. That you have enough insight to identify your problems in the first place indicates competency, I think.

I'm not too sure why I am depressed in the first place but I'm confident that it's due to a life situation as opposed to brain chemistry.
If pinpointing the origin of your depression helps you, go for it. For me it's a wild goose chase that gets me nowhere. I no longer care what caused my depression. Identifying my triggers so I can work on them as they arise and prevent future relapses is my personal focus. I cannot promise that will help you. I'm just sharing what currently works for me.

For one, my neurotype is absolutely fucked as I got autism as well as some sort of anxiety (not sure which one yet) as well as panic attacks when trying to interact with people.

I'm sorry to hear that. ♥

I've been like this all my life but I obviously can't be like this forever or else I'd die without having to ctb.
I have clinical anxiety, reoccurring major depression, bpd, and ocd. I used to have regular panic attacks but have learned to handle them enough to no longer qualify for panic disorder, though they still pop up occasionally. I also have heaps of trauma from my childhood and chronic low self-esteem. It sucks.

My last nervous breakdown was incredibly rough. I cannot live like that whatsoever, so I feel you, even if our issues are different. It's either recovery or ctb for me. I have no other options.

I know the only way to fix this is to brute force it and interact with others anyway but.. I just can't.

Not everyone possesses the level of self-awareness you have. I'm impressed. I know how frustrating it can be to have cognizance of your problems yet feel hopeless or helpless to change them. Exposure therapy is hard and painful. It took me years of practice and lots of effort to muster up the will to do it for it to be effective for me. In my case I was lucky to have support. You don't have a support network to help you expose yourself to your fears, so it's especially rough in your case. I hope you can find a solution one day, and that this space is a safe place for you to brainstorm and vent.

Secondly, I wish I could get a job to support myself but I can't due to the above reason. I've applied to many places, only got two interviews and a whole bunch of rejections. I know I should just keep on applying until I, by some luck, get hired. But I don't have any self esteem to.

Rejection is devastating. In the past, I've given up applying because I kept getting rejected and felt so defeated. Then I would beat myself up for being lazy and feeling sorry for myself and giving up so easily. lol. The self-hate cycle is never ending. Total domino effect.

A low self esteem implies putting yourself down than what you actually are but I'm not doing that as I'm being realistic about myself. I genuinely don't have any skills, even skills that people naturally acquire such as social skills, resilience etc
I'm not a professional and possibly lack the experience and qualifications to make such an assessment, but are you sure you are being realistic about your ability to overcome your weaknesses? If not, it sounds like low self-esteem would apply. That's up for you to determine though, as I do not know you. Also, social skills aren't always acquired naturally for many reasons. I'd say a lack of social skills is becoming more and more robust among the youth due to technological advancements. It's getting easier and easier to reside as a hermit these days.

Thirdly, I can't work on myself or improve at all. I'm too lazy and depressed. And this in turn is making me more depressed so it's like a cycle that perpetuates itself. How do I break out of this cycle? I can't even do small tasks or indulge in baby steps
This is so relatable. Do you think it's self-sabotage in your case? It mostly certainly is for me.

It's like this:

I get so focused on my failures that it pushes me lower, and then I have no energy to do anything. Hence the cycle repeats.

Breaking the cycle is hard. First, you have to believe you deserve to recover. How to do that? Sadly, I have no practical advice. Realizing the reasons I thought I deserved to die did not reflect reality was my epiphany that I don't. It just happened on accident, honestly.

One thing that helps me is radical self-acceptance, which is the idea that you ought to be kind to yourself, no matter what. Instead of should-ing yourself for not accomplishing things, or beating yourself for being in a bad place, why not meet yourself where you're at? If you're feeling that low you can't get out of bed, give yourself compassion, or just ride the wave of painful emotions. Impermanence is a thing. Everything is a constant, constantly changing. Never forget that. Accept you're just not energetic today, and allow yourself to feel that way. It's hard, but it gets easier with time.

Fourthly, anhedonia. It sucks. Because of this, I got no interests hence nothing to talk about hence no friends

Anhedonia is a hell I wouldn't wish on my own worst enemy. What's the point in living if nothing in life gives you pleasure? Existing as an empty husk isn't living, is it?

I need some help and support..
Kudos for admitting that!

Have you considered seeking outside help? If you don't have access (waiting lists are obscenely long in many places atm) or cannot afford it, no one can fault you for that. If you don't want to take a risk because it doesn't always work, that's fair too.

Maybe look into vocational rehab. My autistic sister landed a temporary gig that way. Temp agencies can also help and often times, a seasonal position can lead into a permanent offer.

For everyone else, I'm a little behind in replying to posts here, but have been reading them. I have not forgotten any of you, and will try to catch up soon.
It's the holidays, so understandable. Thank you for being dedicated enough to read our posts! I certainly don't expect you to read my massive walls of text, lol.

I tried to clean up my last post by putting my personal blogging in spoilers but technical difficulties ensued.

For those in the US, I hope you all had a good and peaceful Thanksgiving yesterday. I found it a little ironic that the best part of my day was the time spent alone with wife and adult kids, cleaning up the mess from dinner after the extended family left.
Thanksgiving is so exhausting. I often feel the same way, and have even as a small child. I don't have a family of my own, which I would imagine would intensify the fatigue ten-fold.

I hope you are feeling replenished today!

I don't want to go into too much detail about the whole bipolar II situation, but I didn't respond well to the medications I was given, and my mental health team came to the conclusion that my symptoms were coming from trauma rather than a mood disorder, which seems to make the most sense to me as well. It's weird, though, because when I originally got that (mis)diagnosis of bipolar II, I really identified with it and thought that it explained a lot, even though I now know that it wasn't true. I also don't meet the full criteria for PTSD/cPTSD/ BPD or any of those kinds of trauma-based disorders, so I'm kind of just floating around without a label. I'm not complaining, though, because I know that bipolar disorder can be really hard to manage, especially without meds.
I definitely think there are some cases doctors don't know how to classify. I'm happy they're being honest and not giving you inappropriate treatment at least.

Even if it's not bipolar, is hypomania still what you're experiencing? Feel free to decline answering. Sorry to go all clinical on you.

Also, I forgot to say that I'm happy you're feeling better. ♥

Yes, it is, but honestly I know that it's a slim chance and that's actually what makes me feel a little better about things. I'm expecting the rejections and just trying to get used to them. And if by some stroke of luck I get a job, even better! I was thinking about the suggestion you gave me and applied to some jobs to work with children too, so maybe I'll hear back from those sooner.

That's a really cool way of looking at it! I'm kicking myself because I just so happened to have my breakdown in the summer and (wisely) took some time off to recover. This was the worst timing ever. It's hard not to feel like shit, so I appreciate your perspective. I have a habit of blaming myself for things that are not my fault. Then again this sort of was my fault as I refused to get help or fix my situation (I really needed to resign from my position.) Too bad we haven't discovered time travel yet.

I've only applied for one school, lol. I never heard back. I'm glad you found the suggestion helpful tho! Please update!

Some unknown number called me today and I was too afraid to answer it, I feel like it would be something to do with a bill every time. But immediately afterwards I started beating myself up because that could have been a job calling, sigh. One day I'm going to get the hang of this thing called being an adult, I hope.

Is there any way you can call them back?

You aren't the only person afraid of debt collectors. They are trained to be scary. I think the practice should be illegal personally.

Thank you for the well wishes on the wedding. I still don't really know how to feel so I'm stalling again on that unfortunately.

I'd be stalling too. Weddings are stressful!

I don't really have any updates. I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving but I am thankful for this group and for this space. This week I only had four drinks, and I didn't drink them every day. It would have been three but the demon in me told me to have one more since it was a holiday yesterday, but today I'm not drinking at all. I kind of want to, though.
Only four drinks is great progress! I'm proud of you! ♥

I wanna cosign this, it is really hard to manage without meds. I feel really hopeless all the time with bipolar II so I'm glad you don't have this struggle. But I also think it's interesting how hard it is to diagnose and how many people end up getting a misdiagnosis of bipolar. It definitely makes me want a second and third opinion just to be sure.

My bpd and unipolar depression were mislabeled as bipolar II. It makes sense that bpd wasn't diagnosed as I was only 14 at the time, but it was still frustrating to be put on meds I never needed that provided me no relief and horrible side effects. Diagnosis is tricky.

Ugh, guys. I'm worried what I thought was withdrawal is me getting sick. I hope not because I'd feel bad knowing I exposed people.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, ColorlessTrees and 5 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

Oct 29, 2023
Thank you both @Cloud Busting and @UsagiDrop for replying to me. I really appreciate it.

First gonna reply to @UsagiDrop

Thank you for asking us, even though it seems like you're going through a tough time yourself. I'm hanging in there so I'm doing okay, although I kind of relate to what you said earlier, I'm pretty exhausted by depression right now. 😅
I see. Being exhausted by depression sucks and is painful. Do you know what caused the depression to happen? Either way, I hope you get better from it soon and find happiness.
First of all, I wanna say that you are not some incompetent and shitty thing. You're a person that's struggling to play the hand you've been dealt, because unfortunately, this game of life isn't fair. Regardless of that though, I think any of those things would be hard to deal with for even the most well adjusted normie; not having any meaningful/fulfilling relationships, not having a job and not being able to support oneself, not finding happiness, satisfaction or even contentment in life, those are all tough things to go through. For you, there are other things compounding it as well, creating a unique situation that nobody should blame you for struggling with.
Hmm, I get what you mean but is being an incompetent and shitty thing mutually exclusive to struggling with a bad hand I've been dealt? Sure, when I was a kid, maybe it wasn't my fault for being unable to handle things as I should have received more care from parents but, as I'm now an adult, I have to take responsibility to help myself... and I'm not, at least not actively. What I do is just passive. But, yes, I do imagine that those normies would be suicidal too if they were to experience a life like mine
There's nothing wrong with or about you and I hope that you will come to be softer with yourself. There are a lot of things in life that we just can't tackle alone, so you don't have to "save yourself." I think it's like pulling yourself out of a ditch; you will have to do most of the heavy lifting to climb out, but it's so much easier and much more possible with people on the outside that are also helping to pull you up by that rope. That's why community is important, so, I'm really happy you've found your way here, and welcome to the thread!
There's something wrong with everybody as perfection is impossible. How can there be nothing wrong with me? I'm flawed like everybody else albeit I may have slightly more flaws than them. Though the part about having a community to help makes me feel more relieved. I think I internalised the whole "you have to save yourself" quote way too much and way too literally. Thank you all for being here and for providing support to us all
I think we talk a lot about cycles in here, all of us must be stuck in one of them, one way or another. I can definitely understand the whole laziness into depression never ending whirlpool of doom thing because I go through that a lot too with cleaning and maintaining jobs.
It really sucks. Even if I were to get a job, the problem now would be to maintain it. I feel like we'll always be stuck in a cycle of some sort
Is there a reason, other than the laziness and feeling incompetent, that you think you can't improve? And if you don't mind answering, what areas do you think you need to improve in? From your post I'm getting that you want to improve in terms of self esteem, having relationships with others, and finding a job to support yourself, but perhaps there are other areas? I think both of those things you talked about boil down to working on putting yourself out there, which is hard when you don't have the self-esteem to do it, and I know that from experience right now because the job hunt is eating me alive. But sadly, although this answer is one we never want to hear (or at least I don't lol), the only way to stop a cycle is to break out of it and try something different. I know you feel like you can't take the baby steps, but why is that?
Hmm, I'm not even too sure if there are other reasons. Maybe I'm not motivated enough? I'm sure there is an answer I have but my mind just doesn't have access to it right now. As for the areas I need to improve in, that's more straightforward for me to answer. Short answer, I need to improve in being an actual human. Long answer, I need to improve with gaining skills for independence (such as life skills), I need to improve my socialising skills by consuming more media that I could use to talk about, by stopping being too anxious to speak, to speak slower (as I speak way too quickly for people to understand me) and to stop stuttering a lot. I also need to improve on my anhedonia and find some sort of interest that I could rely on. I also need to improve resilience as I give up way too easily, I also need to improve on my speed at how I do things. I'm way too slow in general and I'd spend 3 hours on a task that most people could easily spend just 1 hour on.

I don't even know how to break out of this cycle. The only way I can think of is interacting with random people in my lectures but that isn't even a little step to me but rather a massive one. I'm that fucked. I don't even see little steps that I could take
I think you took a baby step already by reaching out and posting in here; you're attempting to make a connection with others and you're asking for help and support. That is already a great thing! I'm happy that you felt safe to do that.
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. I can't dispute this

Now to reply to @Cloud Busting
It's easier to focus on what we've done wrong or haven't done rather than focus on what we've done right. This is why I'm trying to write daily accomplishment lists (although I haven't been good at keeping up on them. I'm not declaring my inconsistency a failure tho. Making some here and there is better than not making any at all, even if daily lists are the true goal.) That you pointed out you had the energy to vent and seek support is a great sign!
That... is really true wow. Do you know why we're like this? I've noticed this trend in real life too as, for example, if people had a negative experience at a restaurant, they're more likely to write a negative review but, for those who had a good experience, they'd just move on with their day. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. Okay.. daily lists are a good idea. I think I should start making one too
People process things differently. What's easy for some is hard for others. That you have enough insight to identify your problems in the first place indicates competency, I think.
I've only partially identified my problems though. I feel like there's a lot more nuance to me than I brought out. But I'm not too sure. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking that I got more problems than I actually have so that my issues as a whole could be valid
If pinpointing the origin of your depression helps you, go for it. For me it's a wild goose chase that gets me nowhere. I no longer care what caused my depression. Identifying my triggers so I can work on them as they arise and prevent future relapses is my personal focus. I cannot promise that will help you. I'm just sharing what currently works for me.
Hmm, I don't think I'd ever fully find out why I'm depressed. What matters now is that I am depressed. The whole trigger thing isn't applicable to me as my depression is constant instead of it going and coming back repeatedly
I have clinical anxiety, reoccurring major depression, bpd, and ocd. I used to have regular panic attacks but have learned to handle them enough to no longer qualify for panic disorder, though they still pop up occasionally. I also have heaps of trauma from my childhood and chronic low self-esteem. It sucks.
Wow, that's a lot to handle. Congrats on fixing, or nigh fixing the panic disorder tho. I wish I could do that too. But, yeah, it really does suck that we have a lot of mental issues to go through. But hopefully we get through it.. we're here after all
My last nervous breakdown was incredibly rough. I cannot live like that whatsoever, so I feel you, even if our issues are different. It's either recovery or ctb for me. I have no other options.
I relate to that. I think my ideal situation is where I recover early and then ctb as I'm about to reach old age where my body decays and is fragile... well more fragile than current me who is also fragile. I don't think I can recover 100% as fixing my current issues would lead to other issues arising but maybe, just maybe, I could recover somewhat. Hopefully you all recover too
Not everyone possesses the level of self-awareness you have. I'm impressed. I know how frustrating it can be to have cognizance of your problems yet feel hopeless or helpless to change them. Exposure therapy is hard and painful. It took me years of practice and lots of effort to muster up the will to do it for it to be effective for me. In my case I was lucky to have support. You don't have a support network to help you expose yourself to your fears, so it's especially rough in your case. I hope you can find a solution one day, and that this space is a safe place for you to brainstorm and vent.
Me and self awareness feels like an oxymoron. Exposure therapy does seem good but I don't even know where to start with it. It's like you said, I don't have a support network (not even family that I could rely on) so it's difficult. I've been through quite a bit of mental health worksheets that I could find online and most of them recommend to talk to an old friend or something. But I don't even have that. I hope I find a solution too though I know that it's unlikely for this solution to just appear in front of me magically. I have to actively search for it
Rejection is devastating. In the past, I've given up applying because I kept getting rejected and felt so defeated. Then I would beat myself up for being lazy and feeling sorry for myself and giving up so easily. lol. The self-hate cycle is never ending. Total domino effect.
This is one hell of a domino effect indeed. I've gave up too but I need to stop giving up and try again.. but ugh it's too difficult lol
I'm not a professional and possibly lack the experience and qualifications to make such an assessment, but are you sure you are being realistic about your ability to overcome your weaknesses? If not, it sounds like low self-esteem would apply. That's up for you to determine though, as I do not know you. Also, social skills aren't always acquired naturally for many reasons. I'd say a lack of social skills is becoming more and more robust among the youth due to technological advancements. It's getting easier and easier to reside as a hermit these days.
Hmm that's a tough question to answer as some sort of ego says that I should be competent enough to overcome my weaknesses. But I don't think I- I don't know. It's more so that I think of myself as incompetent. I don't know if I actually am. Though, since I've failed to even get in a position where I try harder to work on myself, perhaps that gives an indication that I may be worthless? I don't know and I can't know until I try my best and still fail. Even if a lack of social skills is amplifying as the generations pass, I still think their social skills are better than mine. I mean, at least the majority of them makes friends or acquaintances with one another during school. I never made an irl friend or acquaintance during my entire life. It's why I never used social media such as instagram or snapchat yet
This is so relatable. Do you think it's self-sabotage in your case? It mostly certainly is for me.
Self sabotage, hmm? Yeah, I think it is. It's more like of a self fulfilling prophecy
It's like this:

I don't think I relate to this actually. I don't self loathe as there is no logical reason why I should. When I say I'm pathetic to do stuff, I say that based on how I do nothing all day and just rot in my room all day. I don't think it's self loathing
I get so focused on my failures that it pushes me lower, and then I have no energy to do anything. Hence the cycle repeats.
Relatable. This is where the daily accomplishment list could help
Breaking the cycle is hard. First, you have to believe you deserve to recover. How to do that? Sadly, I have no practical advice. Realizing the reasons I thought I deserved to die did not reflect reality was my epiphany that I don't. It just happened on accident, honestly.
I deserve to recover but I also deserve to ctb whenever I want to as my body belongs to me in the end. I don't know why I'd believe that I don't deserve to recover. I deserve recovery because I can't think of a set of criteria or scenarios in where somebody doesn't deserve to recover
One thing that helps me is radical self-acceptance, which is the idea that you ought to be kind to yourself, no matter what. Instead of should-ing yourself for not accomplishing things, or beating yourself for being in a bad place, why not meet yourself where you're at? If you're feeling that low you can't get out of bed, give yourself compassion, or just ride the wave of painful emotions. Impermanence is a thing. Everything is a constant, constantly changing. Never forget that. Accept you're just not energetic today, and allow yourself to feel that way. It's hard, but it gets easier with time.
I've indulged in self acceptance as, once again, there is no reason not to. People in the world are cruel and there are only a few kind people around like you and everybody else here. I have to be kind to myself because logic dictates so. Nonetheless, unlike the "deserve to recover" thing above, this is easy to not abide to as I feel shitty when I'm behind on studies again and I feel like I'm pathetic for not studying. Studying is just an example that occurred to me recently, there are others too of course. Impermanence is fine. But when I miss out weeks of studies or spend weeks not improving myself, it becomes less impermanent and more of a concern, so much so to where i feel shitty again for not working on my issues earlier. Hmm, this question feels strange but just how long is impermanence anyway? If you were to quantify it, what would you say?
Anhedonia is a hell I wouldn't wish on my own worst enemy. What's the point in living if nothing in life gives you pleasure? Existing as an empty husk isn't living, is it?
Precisely. It's just surviving and it sucks
Have you considered seeking outside help? If you don't have access (waiting lists are obscenely long in many places atm) or cannot afford it, no one can fault you for that. If you don't want to take a risk because it doesn't always work, that's fair too.
I have. I'm currently referred for therapy but, like you said, waiting times are super long. I'm actually therapy critical tbh. I don't think that this outside help would help. But, hey, since I'm already referred to them, I may as well do it and then it'd be apparent that they don't really help. I'm in the UK and, well, the mental health services here are absolute shit. I have to get better without relying on them
Maybe look into vocational rehab. My autistic sister landed a temporary gig that way. Temp agencies can also help and often times, a seasonal position can lead into a permanent offer.
I don't even know if the UK has a vocational rehab. Also, I don't even know if I can get a seasonal position to begin with. As of right now, I don't think I can as I got no work experience as well as no skills either
Thank you both @Cloud Busting and @UsagiDrop for replying to me. I really appreciate it.

First gonna reply to @UsagiDrop

I see. Being exhausted by depression sucks and is painful. Do you know what caused the depression to happen? Either way, I hope you get better from it soon and find happiness.
Hmm, I get what you mean but is being an incompetent and shitty thing mutually exclusive to struggling with a bad hand I've been dealt? Sure, when I was a kid, maybe it wasn't my fault for being unable to handle things as I should have received more care from parents but, as I'm now an adult, I have to take responsibility to help myself... and I'm not, at least not actively. What I do is just passive. But, yes, I do imagine that those normies would be suicidal too if they were to experience a life like mine
There's something wrong with everybody as perfection is impossible. How can there be nothing wrong with me? I'm flawed like everybody else albeit I may have slightly more flaws than them. Though the part about having a community to help makes me feel more relieved. I think I internalised the whole "you have to save yourself" quote way too much and way too literally. Thank you all for being here and for providing support to us all
It really sucks. Even if I were to get a job, the problem now would be to maintain it. I feel like we'll always be stuck in a cycle of some sort
Hmm, I'm not even too sure if there are other reasons. Maybe I'm not motivated enough? I'm sure there is an answer I have but my mind just doesn't have access to it right now. As for the areas I need to improve in, that's more straightforward for me to answer. Short answer, I need to improve in being an actual human. Long answer, I need to improve with gaining skills for independence (such as life skills), I need to improve my socialising skills by consuming more media that I could use to talk about, by stopping being too anxious to speak, to speak slower (as I speak way too quickly for people to understand me) and to stop stuttering a lot. I also need to improve on my anhedonia and find some sort of interest that I could rely on. I also need to improve resilience as I give up way too easily, I also need to improve on my speed at how I do things. I'm way too slow in general and I'd spend 3 hours on a task that most people could easily spend just 1 hour on.

I don't even know how to break out of this cycle. The only way I can think of is interacting with random people in my lectures but that isn't even a little step to me but rather a massive one. I'm that fucked. I don't even see little steps that I could take
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. I can't dispute this

Now to reply to @Cloud Busting
That... is really true wow. Do you know why we're like this? I've noticed this trend in real life too as, for example, if people had a negative experience at a restaurant, they're more likely to write a negative review but, for those who had a good experience, they'd just move on with their day. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. Okay.. daily lists are a good idea. I think I should start making one too
I've only partially identified my problems though. I feel like there's a lot more nuance to me than I brought out. But I'm not too sure. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking that I got more problems than I actually have so that my issues as a whole could be valid
Hmm, I don't think I'd ever fully find out why I'm depressed. What matters now is that I am depressed. The whole trigger thing isn't applicable to me as my depression is constant instead of it going and coming back repeatedly
Wow, that's a lot to handle. Congrats on fixing, or nigh fixing the panic disorder tho. I wish I could do that too. But, yeah, it really does suck that we have a lot of mental issues to go through. But hopefully we get through it.. we're here after all
I relate to that. I think my ideal situation is where I recover early and then ctb as I'm about to reach old age where my body decays and is fragile... well more fragile than current me who is also fragile. I don't think I can recover 100% as fixing my current issues would lead to other issues arising but maybe, just maybe, I could recover somewhat. Hopefully you all recover too
Me and self awareness feels like an oxymoron. Exposure therapy does seem good but I don't even know where to start with it. It's like you said, I don't have a support network (not even family that I could rely on) so it's difficult. I've been through quite a bit of mental health worksheets that I could find online and most of them recommend to talk to an old friend or something. But I don't even have that. I hope I find a solution too though I know that it's unlikely for this solution to just appear in front of me magically. I have to actively search for it
This is one hell of a domino effect indeed. I've gave up too but I need to stop giving up and try again.. but ugh it's too difficult lol
Hmm that's a tough question to answer as some sort of ego says that I should be competent enough to overcome my weaknesses. But I don't think I- I don't know. It's more so that I think of myself as incompetent. I don't know if I actually am. Though, since I've failed to even get in a position where I try harder to work on myself, perhaps that gives an indication that I may be worthless? I don't know and I can't know until I try my best and still fail. Even if a lack of social skills is amplifying as the generations pass, I still think their social skills are better than mine. I mean, at least the majority of them makes friends or acquaintances with one another during school. I never made an irl friend or acquaintance during my entire life. It's why I never used social media such as instagram or snapchat yet
Self sabotage, hmm? Yeah, I think it is. It's more like of a self fulfilling prophecy
It's like this:

I don't think I relate to this actually. I don't self loathe as there is no logical reason why I should. When I say I'm pathetic to do stuff, I say that based on how I do nothing all day and just rot in my room all day. I don't think it's self loathing
Relatable. This is where the daily accomplishment list could help
I deserve to recover but I also deserve to ctb whenever I want to as my body belongs to me in the end. I don't know why I'd believe that I don't deserve to recover. I deserve recovery because I can't think of a set of criteria or scenarios in where somebody doesn't deserve to recover
I've indulged in self acceptance as, once again, there is no reason not to. People in the world are cruel and there are only a few kind people around like you and everybody else here. I have to be kind to myself because logic dictates so. Nonetheless, unlike the "deserve to recover" thing above, this is easy to not abide to as I feel shitty when I'm behind on studies again and I feel like I'm pathetic for not studying. Studying is just an example that occurred to me recently, there are others too of course. Impermanence is fine. But when I miss out weeks of studies or spend weeks not improving myself, it becomes less impermanent and more of a concern, so much so to where i feel shitty again for not working on my issues earlier. Hmm, this question feels strange but just how long is impermanence anyway? If you were to quantify it, what would you say?
Precisely. It's just surviving and it sucks
I have. I'm currently referred for therapy but, like you said, waiting times are super long. I'm actually therapy critical tbh. I don't think that this outside help would help. But, hey, since I'm already referred to them, I may as well do it and then it'd be apparent that they don't really help. I'm in the UK and, well, the mental health services here are absolute shit. I have to get better without relying on them
I don't even know if the UK has a vocational rehab. Also, I don't even know if I can get a seasonal position to begin with. As of right now, I don't think I can as I got no work experience as well as no skills either

Edit: omg, I got scared that this site was going to crash and that everything I wrote would be gone. Thankfully it isn't gone

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, ColorlessTrees, LoiteringClouds and 3 others
N

Night_Crew

Oct 23, 2021
I thought I'd drop a message to see how others have been doing this past couple of weeks.

I've had an especially low week, with a few particularly few terrible days. Chronic loneliness, shame, embarrassment and self-loathing. It's my birthday soon and I feel so little hope for the future.

I'm interested to hear how others - especially people down-and-out with little hope and potential for the future continue for years and years?

• Hugs
  • Love
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

Apr 27, 2023
I tried to clean up my last post by putting my personal blogging in spoilers but technical difficulties ensued.
This is actually a great idea for us long posters! Haha, I'm always mobile though, I would probably fuck it up every time.

I wish I could do it now, this post is also long.
I'm kicking myself because I just so happened to have my breakdown in the summer and (wisely) took some time off to recover.
I'm happy that you realize that it was wise to take a break! Hopefully you won't be so hard on yourself. What's important is that you're trying to get things back on track now.

I also hope that you aren't really sick!
Is there any way you can call them back?
I thought about it but I'm really scared to do that. What if it's really a debt collector? I did Google the number and it wasn't linked to anything I applied to, thankfully. It may just be something to do with a bill or a banker trying to get me to reopen my account, lol.
My bpd and unipolar depression were mislabeled as bipolar II.
I see a lot of people who have borderline are misdiagnosed with bipolar II at first and I honestly think that makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if I went to get a second opinion and this ended up being the case for me too. The only thing is that when I was on medication for bipolar, it actually worked really well. So maybe my old psychiatrist was onto something, but then again those meds were used to treat other disorders as well.
Also, social skills aren't always acquired naturally for many reasons.
I want to add onto this and say that in my opinion, social skills are never naturally acquired. While some of us are certainly more naturally inclined to have better social skills, I think overall it's impossible to learn those skills on your own. It would go against the nature of being social if you did. Someone else is always going to have to teach you and it's a skill that you're always developing through interactions with others.
Do you know what caused the depression to happen?
So many things lol. I think it's a combination of things that happened to me throughout my life. Life itself for me hasn't been so bad and in a lot of ways I'm very lucky and privileged but the way I learned how to process things and deal with things is messed up, I guess because of the stuff I had to endure up until now and even some things I have to endure now. I don't think I really know how to be happy so the depression has just always been a thing for as long as I can remember. I think it's what I deserve sometimes, honestly.
is being an incompetent and shitty thing mutually exclusive to struggling with a bad hand I've been dealt?
There's something wrong with everybody as perfection is impossible. How can there be nothing wrong with me?
Both of these are things I should consider, so I want to rephrase. There may be something wrong with you, but not in the sense that you are beating yourself up for. The things that are wrong don't make you shitty or incompetent, at least not in my book.

I don't believe that struggling and being shitty or incompetent are mutually exclusive, those two things stand on their own. There are plenty of us that are struggling but it isn't because we're shitty or incompetent, some of us just have to put forth an extra effort due to our circumstances and that's fine too. And some people are shitty but they don't struggle with anything at all! I think the things that people do determine if they're a horrible person, incompetency is a more complex thing though and being incompetent isn't something that inherently makes you bad.
Short answer, I need to improve in being an actual human.
I think you already have a decent list of goals here! And if you're waiting to work with a therapist then that's even better, I hope that you get someone that is actually good and can help you. I struggled a lot with talking fast but I'm slowly starting to work on that by making a conscious effort to speak slower when I do speak. It's easier to say than do though. I also have problems with resilience but I'm trying to battle that by putting myself out there little by little and working on the art of trying something again if it didn't work the first time. That is also a lot easier to say than to do but I've made a little progress and I'm doing a little better in those areas than I was a year ago.

I agree that just speaking to others is a big step, and I don't think that you have to do that right away. It could be a good idea to just focus on building up interests and working on yourself when you can before you try to make friends with others. If you're in uni, you already have one baseline thing in common with your peers and it's the topic that you're studying! But that can't sustain a relationship on it's own, it would just be a starting point. Maybe you could try just talking back to them for now when/if they approach you about things that have to do with your lessons?

Is there anything that you've wanted to try? I don't really know how to advise on the anhedonia, but maybe a baby step would be pushing on with an activity even if you don't get enjoyment from it just to see if it's something you may like? I think a therapist might be the next best step for something like that. But if there was ever an activity that interested you or seemed like it could be fun, now's as good of a time as ever to try them.
I don't even see little steps that I could take
It's okay if you don't see the steps right away. Just reaching out was a step that you took without even seeing it, so I think the others will come to you as well with some time and a lot of effort.
I don't think I relate to this actually.
I would recommend that show to you (and anyone else) if you're interested in watching things and haven't watched it already. Bojack Horseman is such a good show honestly and it's really interesting because there's always a character that everyone can relate to. I'm thinking of a character that you may be able to relate to from this show but I don't really know you so I couldn't say for sure.
I thought I'd drop a message to see how others have been doing this past couple of weeks.
Hi @Night_Crew, welcome back! I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad week. I also tend to feel really horrible and hopeless around my birthday so I get what you mean there, too. Are you going to do anything at all to celebrate?

Thank you for asking about how we're doing despite going through a rough patch yourself. I've been hanging in there.
I'm interested to hear how others - especially people down-and-out with little hope and potential for the future continue for years and years?
Tough question, haha, I also want to know the answer to this. Technically I've been doing this but I don't really know how. I just hold out on the little bit of hope that I have. As long as it's there I won't think that it's time to give up. On a subconscious level and much to my own annoyance, I think I just kept collecting more things to hold onto so that I'll be less motivated to give up; I have a relationship to stick around for, stories that I've committed myself to finishing with others, plants that would die without my care, children that I want to see grow up, shows I would never see the end of. Sadly when things feel hopeless none of these really matter to me, I could drop them all whenever I wanted to if I wanted to, but now there are so many that at my worst I can convince myself that it's worth it to see what the future is like.

• Hugs
  • Love
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
A friend of mine is preforming a show at a bar soon. I do intend to respond to @UsagiDrop and @ijustwishtodie but I can't promise it will be tonight.

@Night_Crew Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry you're at a low point. You're definitely not alone in experiencing existential dread and despair on your birthday. I don't look forward to mine either. I hope you have a good one regardless, or get through it at least. I'm glad you have a space where you feel comfortable opening up.

What keeps me going is knowing that I can always ctb whenever, but I can never take the decision back.

I also don't want to die a tragedy. Live out of spite is my mantra. It's definitely rough though. Life is an endurance test, I swear.

Yesterdays list:

Attachments

• 4CB20BCF-8278-4891-BDC4-F6A19A7662E3.jpeg
    4CB20BCF-8278-4891-BDC4-F6A19A7662E3.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, ColorlessTrees and 3 others
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
@ijustwishtodie oy, I was also in uni until recently so I feel your pain. (I have one semester left & was supposed to graduate in January but I'm on a leave indefinitely because of mental health stuff).

It's already been said, but I want to reiterate that your issues are definitely not "not even that bad"! It sounds like you have a lot to deal with. It sounds extremely hard to live in this neurotypical world with autism alone, without adding panic attacks on top of that.

I don't want to say too much else in response to your original post since I feel like it would just be redundant at this point given how thorough what @UsagiDrop and @Cloud Busting said was. But I think a lot of us here (myself definitely included) can relate to being in the recovery or bust situation that you mentioned. For anyone to end up on this site, honestly, they'd have to be in a position where their current way of existing no longer feels like a viable option, whatever that may mean for the individual. I guess my point is that you're in the right place– as different as all of our individual struggles are on this thread, we're in the same boat in terms of suffering a great deal, knowing that something needs to change, and trying to implement that change, or at least make things better for ourselves for as long as we can put in the effort.

I'm with you as far as this line of thinking towards myself. Earlier today I was thinking about the fact that the mental health issues I have aren't my fault and that I'm largely mad at myself for things that I can't control, but at the same time, I can still be justified in disliking the person that I am even if I deserve as much self compassion as anyone else. I guess that's a little different from what you're saying, but regardless. It's true that it's your responsibility as an adult to do things for your recovery, but giving yourself some grace and taking responsibility for yourself are also not two mutually exclusive things! It sounds to me like calling yourself an "incompetent and shitty thing" is a bit meaner than what's accurate, too, and that there's room to give yourself a break. (I know how hard it is not to beat yourself senseless and call yourself names, though, and I was doing pretty much the same thing a mere few hours ago.)

It's also a really good thing that you're able to list the skills that you need to work on/ have that self awareness, as @Cloud Busting mentioned. Hell, for most of my life up until this year I was in complete denial of the majority of my issues and could only see the surface level things. As much as it feels like you're at the bottom of the hill, knowing what you need to change is an important first step. (And as far as your later statement that you & self awareness feels like an oxymoron… well, it's possible to be self aware in some areas and not in others? And from what you've said here, you definitely possess a lot more self awareness than a lot of people)

I think there's some sort of psychological/ cognitive bias relating to why people fixate on negatives rather than positives, one that's definitely even worse in people with mental health issues. I'm kind of frustrated that I can't remember enough to elaborate more than that, but I heard this either from my therapist or in one of the psychology classes I took earlier in college. I'm too lazy right now to look into this further rather than just throwing out an "I think I heard this once" statement without any citations, so you'll have to forgive me for that, lol! Point is, it's true for all of us to some extent!

This is a very wise mindset to have!

I'm sure that I've been redundant throughout this post since I haven't read what UsagiDrop said yet, and apparently someone else posted since I started writing this (I have yet to load the post lol) but yeah, we're glad to have you on the thread! As much as you've been putting yourself down, you seem like an intelligent and thoughtful person to me through reading your posts, so as much as you may have stuff to work on, you certainly have strengths worth recognizing as well!

Alright, this post is getting really long, so I'm going to start a new one for the rest of my replies! (May need to go off and have food with my family soon, anyway, so we'll see when I actually post the rest of what I was going to say…)

• Love
  • Hugs
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
I've had moments like before for sure. Sometimes the little moments with the people you love end up being more enjoyable than the things that are supposed to be a big deal. I can definitely say that I had more fun with my younger brother in the couple of days before and after Thanksgiving than I did during the Thanksgiving holiday itself. As good as the food was, and although the day itself was not actively bad in any way, I spent most of it feeling extremely overwhelmed.

I thought of you when I was writing the previous post, @UsagiDrop, since I know you mentioned having bipolar II, but I didn't name you specifically since I didn't want to call you out, lol! But it definitely sounds like a good idea to get a second opinion on your diagnosis to be safe if you have the resources for it given how often it's misdiagnosed.

Welcome back to the thread, @Night_Crew! Sorry you've been having such a tough time lately– I can totally relate to your feelings towards your birthday as well. Mine was back in September and it just reminded me of the fact that I'm now even further from the person I feel like I should be now that I'm a year older.
I'm wondering how I'm going to do this myself at this point, in the event that the future continues to go the same way that the last few years of my life have been. I think that @UsagiDrop has a pretty good answer with the idea of sticking around for the little things, though it takes a lot of those smaller things to keep a person going. I'm still figuring out how to get my little flame of hope back, but honestly, in the meantime, the only thing keeping me going is the fact that I can't come up with a rational reason to end my life. As far as my own personal situation, I know that it's possible for me to get better, even if not "better" to the extent of being like a non mentally ill person then better than I am now, so ending my life at any given point right now would just be acting on transient emotions, at least until I reach any sort of plateau and the state of my mental health seems to be truly permanent. It's not the most fun mindset to hang my entire state of alive-ness on, but it's what's preventing me from CTB for the time being, no matter how shitty I feel at any given point in time.

Edit:
What keeps me going is knowing that I can always ctb whenever, but I can never take the decision back.

I also don't want to die a tragedy. Live out of spite is my mantra. It's definitely rough though. Life is an endurance test, I swear.
Yeah, this is largely what's keeping me going as well– well said. (I missed it when I was catching up on posts apparently!)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, ColorlessTrees, LoiteringClouds and 3 others
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
things are hard, i still exist, still love you guys. i hope everyone's okay 🖤

• Hugs
  • Love
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

Oct 29, 2023
I want to add onto this and say that in my opinion, social skills are never naturally acquired. While some of us are certainly more naturally inclined to have better social skills, I think overall it's impossible to learn those skills on your own. It would go against the nature of being social if you did. Someone else is always going to have to teach you and it's a skill that you're always developing through interactions with others.
If social skills are not naturally acquired, how is it that most people (particularly neurotypical people) understand social skills but most neurodivergent people don't? Also, there aren't lessons on social skills. If I remember correctly, schools don't teach lessons regarding social skills
So many things lol. I think it's a combination of things that happened to me throughout my life. Life itself for me hasn't been so bad and in a lot of ways I'm very lucky and privileged but the way I learned how to process things and deal with things is messed up, I guess because of the stuff I had to endure up until now and even some things I have to endure now. I don't think I really know how to be happy so the depression has just always been a thing for as long as I can remember. I think it's what I deserve sometimes, honestly.
The whole idea of life not being bad is subjective tbh. Though I do wonder what you mean when you talk about the way you process and deal with things
Both of these are things I should consider, so I want to rephrase. There may be something wrong with you, but not in the sense that you are beating yourself up for. The things that are wrong don't make you shitty or incompetent, at least not in my book.

I don't believe that struggling and being shitty or incompetent are mutually exclusive, those two things stand on their own. There are plenty of us that are struggling but it isn't because we're shitty or incompetent, some of us just have to put forth an extra effort due to our circumstances and that's fine too. And some people are shitty but they don't struggle with anything at all! I think the things that people do determine if they're a horrible person, incompetency is a more complex thing though and being incompetent isn't something that inherently makes you bad.
I feel like there's a misconception here caused by the wording of "shitty" and "bad" that I didn't consider. When I used those words, I used it to describe at how I function as a human and how I function in terms of mental health. I didn't mean to describe myself synonymously with actual assholes in the world. If I were to be describing myself synonymously with assholes, then yes being incompetent at being a functional human doesn't inherently make you shitty (i.e. an asshole). However, being shitty (at being a human) is linked to incompetency making you.. be shitty at being a human.

Our of curiosity, do you believe that it's possible for some people to be so incompetent to where they can't recover from it regardless of what they do?
I think you already have a decent list of goals here! And if you're waiting to work with a therapist then that's even better, I hope that you get someone that is actually good and can help you. I struggled a lot with talking fast but I'm slowly starting to work on that by making a conscious effort to speak slower when I do speak. It's easier to say than do though. I also have problems with resilience but I'm trying to battle that by putting myself out there little by little and working on the art of trying something again if it didn't work the first time. That is also a lot easier to say than to do but I've made a little progress and I'm doing a little better in those areas than I was a year ago.
I won't lie, I really don't want to work with a therapist. I'm insanely therapy critical and I don't believe that it'd work on me for various reasons. But I'm sort of forced to do it as I am awful at being independent and taking control over my life on my own. I really need some external help if I need a shot at this and if the mental health industry was as developed (and still developing) as quickly as technology is, I'd be more inclined to accept therapy but, in its current state, I can't. Anyways, about speaking slower, I then get worried that I speak too slowly if I try to speak slower. I just don't know the perfect balance
I agree that just speaking to others is a big step, and I don't think that you have to do that right away. It could be a good idea to just focus on building up interests and working on yourself when you can before you try to make friends with others. If you're in uni, you already have one baseline thing in common with your peers and it's the topic that you're studying! But that can't sustain a relationship on it's own, it would just be a starting point. Maybe you could try just talking back to them for now when/if they approach you about things that have to do with your lessons?
That's a good idea and, while I knew that this us what I have to do, it's far relaxing to see somebody else suggest this to me instead of suggesting that I just talk. It's pointless to sell myself if there's nothing to sell. Interests are needed to sustain friends. Also, at university, nobody really approaches me. Not a single person
Is there anything that you've wanted to try? I don't really know how to advise on the anhedonia, but maybe a baby step would be pushing on with an activity even if you don't get enjoyment from it just to see if it's something you may like? I think a therapist might be the next best step for something like that. But if there was ever an activity that interested you or seemed like it could be fun, now's as good of a time as ever to try them.
Not really. I don't have anything I want to try and, even if I do, having this massive urge to keep it as hidden from my parents as much as possible makes it far harder to actually do stuff freely. Maybe I should force myself to do something after all
It's okay if you don't see the steps right away. Just reaching out was a step that you took without even seeing it, so I think the others will come to you as well with some time and a lot of effort.
I hope so
I would recommend that show to you (and anyone else) if you're interested in watching things and haven't watched it already. Bojack Horseman is such a good show honestly and it's really interesting because there's always a character that everyone can relate to. I'm thinking of a character that you may be able to relate to from this show but I don't really know you so I couldn't say for sure.
I see. Maybe there's something I could force myself to do
@ijustwishtodie oy, I was also in uni until recently so I feel your pain. (I have one semester left & was supposed to graduate in January but I'm on a leave indefinitely because of mental health stuff).
Damn my condolences. Hopefully you can come back and finish that semester once you recover
It's already been said, but I want to reiterate that your issues are definitely not "not even that bad"! It sounds like you have a lot to deal with. It sounds extremely hard to live in this neurotypical world with autism alone, without adding panic attacks on top of that.
The idea of what's bad or not is subjective tbh. Though I see what you mean
I don't want to say too much else in response to your original post since I feel like it would just be redundant at this point given how thorough what @UsagiDrop and @Cloud Busting said was. But I think a lot of us here (myself definitely included) can relate to being in the recovery or bust situation that you mentioned. For anyone to end up on this site, honestly, they'd have to be in a position where their current way of existing no longer feels like a viable option, whatever that may mean for the individual. I guess my point is that you're in the right place– as different as all of our individual struggles are on this thread, we're in the same boat in terms of suffering a great deal, knowing that something needs to change, and trying to implement that change, or at least make things better for ourselves for as long as we can put in the effort.
this.. is all so true
I'm with you as far as this line of thinking towards myself. Earlier today I was thinking about the fact that the mental health issues I have aren't my fault and that I'm largely mad at myself for things that I can't control, but at the same time, I can still be justified in disliking the person that I am even if I deserve as much self compassion as anyone else. I guess that's a little different from what you're saying, but regardless. It's true that it's your responsibility as an adult to do things for your recovery, but giving yourself some grace and taking responsibility for yourself are also not two mutually exclusive things! It sounds to me like calling yourself an "incompetent and shitty thing" is a bit meaner than what's accurate, too, and that there's room to give yourself a break. (I know how hard it is not to beat yourself senseless and call yourself names, though, and I was doing pretty much the same thing a mere few hours ago.)
The human brain sure is complicated. It's sort of hard to give grace to myself when my future and overall wellbeing is contingent on needing immediate results
It's also a really good thing that you're able to list the skills that you need to work on/ have that self awareness, as @Cloud Busting mentioned. Hell, for most of my life up until this year I was in complete denial of the majority of my issues and could only see the surface level things. As much as it feels like you're at the bottom of the hill, knowing what you need to change is an important first step. (And as far as your later statement that you & self awareness feels like an oxymoron… well, it's possible to be self aware in some areas and not in others? And from what you've said here, you definitely possess a lot more self awareness than a lot of people)
For all I know, the things I've listed could just be surface level things too. You never know. I don't know in which areas I'm still self aware in and which ones I'm not.
I think there's some sort of psychological/ cognitive bias relating to why people fixate on negatives rather than positives, one that's definitely even worse in people with mental health issues. I'm kind of frustrated that I can't remember enough to elaborate more than that, but I heard this either from my therapist or in one of the psychology classes I took earlier in college. I'm too lazy right now to look into this further rather than just throwing out an "I think I heard this once" statement without any citations, so you'll have to forgive me for that, lol! Point is, it's true for all of us to some extent!
it's okay, the reason can wait. The phenomenon itself is what interests me right now
I'm sure that I've been redundant throughout this post since I haven't read what UsagiDrop said yet, and apparently someone else posted since I started writing this (I have yet to load the post lol) but yeah, we're glad to have you on the thread! As much as you've been putting yourself down, you seem like an intelligent and thoughtful person to me through reading your posts, so as much as you may have stuff to work on, you certainly have strengths worth recognizing as well!
You haven't been redundant at all tbh. Thank you for your compliments btw

I'm so sleepy damn. Ima sleep now
Damn my condolences. Hopefully you can come back and finish that semester once you recover
The idea of what's bad or not is subjective tbh. Though I see what you mean
this.. is all so true
The human brain sure is complicated. It's sort of hard to give grace to myself when my future and overall wellbeing is contingent on needing immediate results
For all I know, the things I've listed could just be surface level things too. You never know. I don't know in which areas I'm still self aware in and which ones I'm not.
it's okay, the reason can wait. The phenomenon itself is what interests me right now
You haven't been redundant at all tbh. Thank you for your compliments btw

I'm so sleepy damn. Ima sleep now

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

Apr 27, 2023
i still exist
I'm so glad you still exist, and we love you too. I hope you'll be okay soon!
Also, there aren't lessons on social skills.
Maybe not formal lessons, but I still think you learn social skills from parents, guardians, caretakers, teachers and/or other influential adults or figures in media as a child. We wouldn't know what language to speak if someone wasn't already speaking to us in it, for example. We literally wouldn't know which words meant what if someone didn't show us or tell us. We wouldn't know who mom or dad was, or what the difference between them was, if those figures in our life didn't act those roles out and tell us who was who (presuming we have both figures, or even one). We would know how to scream and cry but we wouldn't know when it's appropriate or okay to do that, nor would we know when it would be appropriate or okay to cheer and laugh (according to a society's standards), if someone didn't tell us when those times were. And often times the people that teach us these very things fuck up and we learn in the hard ways how to best navigate socializing with others when we go and socialize with others.

But that's only my perspective on things and I could probably be wrong. I don't think I would know how to be social at all if it wasn't for watching others, though, so maybe that's why I feel this way.
The whole idea of life not being bad is subjective tbh.
This is true, and I don't mean to say this is my perspective of life as a whole. It's just for my life, I feel like I objectively haven't had it so bad. There were some horrible experiences but for the most part they're things I can brush off. But because those things occurred, I don't think I function and think normally anymore. I'm empty all the time, I don't have a lot of confidence in myself and my own judgments, I can't communicate in effective ways, I don't allow myself to be happy, I'm directionless, and honestly all of the bad experience have just culminated in a mood disorder anyway so things are kind of fucked no matter how I flip it.

Unless I'm okay with a life of relying on help and medication, that is, and I'm still on the fence about it myself.
I feel like there's a misconception here
Ahh, I understand now, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding you! That does make sense when you put it that way.
Our of curiosity, do you believe that it's possible for some people to be so incompetent to where they can't recover from it regardless of what they do?
Yes, I do believe this. I think I'm incompetent in a few ways that I can't really recover from, or I don't see myself recovering from. But I also don't think that this fact alone has to be the end of the world. It's like you said, nobody is perfect. Therefore, there isn't a single one of us that can do it all. We will all probably suffer or be incompetent in some areas but if we're willing to work then we can make up for it in other ways. It's up to an individual to decide if they want to work or not, or if living with a certain incompetency is even worth it, though. If they decide that they can't go on like that or don't want to work then it's also fine.
I won't lie, I really don't want to work with a therapist.
I can understand your reluctance, the mental health industry doesn't have a great rep and it is true that a lot of professionals don't care as much as they should about their clients for various reasons. But sometimes we do need outside help despite our best efforts, and there's nothing wrong with that. I really hope you can find someone that works well with you and will actually help you in the long run, and most of all I'm just happy that you're open to giving it all a try.
I just don't know the perfect balance
In my experience there is no right balance. I was lucky enough to have a few people that I could afford to embarrass myself in front of sometimes but even at other times when I practiced to myself, I had to be willing to sound really silly and speak super slowly just so my words could be clear. 😅 It was really embarrassing and hard but I had to brute force
my pacing sometimes.
Also, at university, nobody really approaches me. Not a single person
I'm sorry to hear that, but that's fine too. It just means you have more time to focus on gaining some skills first and you might have less anxiety in the process.

I hope you're able to get lots of rest tonight!

• Hugs
  • Love
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Happy end of Thanksgiving weekend to all!

I'm going to take a second to do a personal check in since it's been a few days since I've done so. I guess I don't have much going on as far as updates, but I'm still doing better relative to where I was before. Later this coming week I'm going back to my apartment again for the first time in a while, not permanently yet but at least for a few days to clean and do some errands.

I'm starting to think about next steps for my life in the very near future, which is not fun. I feel really hopeless about the prospect of going back to life as usual once I return to my home city for good. No matter what I do to make things better for myself and no matter how good my life may become when I give it time, the common factor that causes things to go to shit is usually me, and so I have no hope that anything constructive I do will stick. I told myself two months ago that I was done trying and done with being alive. I don't know how to want things from life anymore when nothing has changed since my near CTB attempt other than my emotional state, and so I still have plenty of reasons to not want to be here anymore.

I guess at this point the best I can do is try to survive each day as it comes, try to keep recovering, and remember that if things don't get better as the years go by, CTB will always still be an option 🙃 Until I reach any sort of long term plateau of shittiness, I have reason to believe that I'm capable of recovery.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Sorry I have yet to respond in depth. Im not sure if I will, but I have read every post since I last wrote here.

@UsagiDrop Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. 💞💗💖💞

The kindest people are always so hard on themselves it seems. Its inspiring you still have the energy to extend compassion to others even if you struggle to apply it to yourself. 😔

Also, I managed to fuck up the spoiler tag on my laptop, lol. You're a real warrior for being able to multi-quote so frequently on your phone. I lack the patience. 😆

@ijustwishtodie I hope I gain the energy to respond to you because you posed some interesting questions and things to chew on.

I really admire how you are trying to get to the root of your issues, and how much you've opened up and allowed yourself to be vulnerable. You're just dipping your toes in and still haven't figured everything out, but we all gotta start somewhere.

@sadwriter Having to take a mental health leave sounds stressful. I'm glad you have the opportunity though, and I hope it aides in your recovery. Remember that a similar thing happened to Sylvia Plath, yet she was able to return to college, graduate, and further her academic career.

When I'm struggling, comparing myself to people who have overcame the same issue helps sometimes. It doesn't always. Lol

I'm glad things are improving for you. It's good to recognize that although you still struggle, you've come a long way since your near attempt. I've improved since I attempted nearly 3 months ago. I still have set backs and rough days, but that's to be expected. Recovery isn't easy and certainly never linear (even if normies don't understand that.)

We are our own worst enemy. It's good to recognize the role you've played in your current bus stop in life. You may have made self-destructive choices in the past, but you can learn from those mistakes to make more empowering choices. It won't be easy, and mistakes will be made, but that's what I'm working on.

Today was rough. I'm stressed out about my employment prospects and my financial situation. It's really brought me down and my lizard brain that beats me up has been chatty today. I'm just accepting that I'm feeling like shit and that I just have to keep exhausting all options. If I've scratched each one off the list and still haven't solved the problem, then I can ctb. That hasn't happened yet, so I'm holding off for now.

98577D75 D9CC 461A B3FF B4C0E15412F0 [spoiler/]

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, LaVieEnRose and 4 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

Oct 29, 2023
Maybe not formal lessons, but I still think you learn social skills from parents, guardians, caretakers, teachers and/or other influential adults or figures in media as a child. We wouldn't know what language to speak if someone wasn't already speaking to us in it, for example. We literally wouldn't know which words meant what if someone didn't show us or tell us. We wouldn't know who mom or dad was, or what the difference between them was, if those figures in our life didn't act those roles out and tell us who was who (presuming we have both figures, or even one). We would know how to scream and cry but we wouldn't know when it's appropriate or okay to do that, nor would we know when it would be appropriate or okay to cheer and laugh (according to a society's standards), if someone didn't tell us when those times were. And often times the people that teach us these very things fuck up and we learn in the hard ways how to best navigate socializing with others when we go and socialize with others.
Interesting. I never heard of parents teaching their kids social skills (or even their parents teaching their kids anything; I've heard all they do is just make their kid watch some stimulating youtube videos and that's their parenting done). But, hey, if people have learnt social skills from parents or teachers etc, at least I can blame someone else for my lack of social skills. Nonetheless, it's only up to me to rectify my flaws as best as I can
But that's only my perspective on things and I could probably be wrong. I don't think I would know how to be social at all if it wasn't for watching others, though, so maybe that's why I feel this way.
I've watched others but I haven't really interacted with anybody other than the teachers for my entire academic life (I'm not counting university group work btw)
This is true, and I don't mean to say this is my perspective of life as a whole. It's just for my life, I feel like I objectively haven't had it so bad. There were some horrible experiences but for the most part they're things I can brush off. But because those things occurred, I don't think I function and think normally anymore. I'm empty all the time, I don't have a lot of confidence in myself and my own judgments, I can't communicate in effective ways, I don't allow myself to be happy, I'm directionless, and honestly all of the bad experience have just culminated in a mood disorder anyway so things are kind of fucked no matter how I flip it.
That's valid. Some people go through hell in comparison to others. Though I personally judge things on how bad they are by looking at how the events or experiences affect you, not the actual experiences themselves. That's not to say that somebody who went through a shitty experience and didn't get affected by it isn't severe as it is but the point is that I believe that those who even went through comparatively mild experiences yet came out with depression or dysfunction due to that has had it bad too. I say this because the way we perceive and handle suffering is subjective. Though it's valid to not think that way.. in fact it kinda is hard to when people talk about extremely shitty experiences
Unless I'm okay with a life of relying on help and medication, that is, and I'm still on the fence about it myself.
Do you think you'll have to rely on this forever? I'm asking due to curiosity
Yes, I do believe this. I think I'm incompetent in a few ways that I can't really recover from, or I don't see myself recovering from. But I also don't think that this fact alone has to be the end of the world. It's like you said, nobody is perfect. Therefore, there isn't a single one of us that can do it all. We will all probably suffer or be incompetent in some areas but if we're willing to work then we can make up for it in other ways. It's up to an individual to decide if they want to work or not, or if living with a certain incompetency is even worth it, though. If they decide that they can't go on like that or don't want to work then it's also fine.
The being incompetent in a few areas thing is relatable. Also, yeah, I do admit that we're all incompetent somewhere. I just think it's unfair that some people have to work harder than others because of how severe their incompetency is. Also, yeah, those choosing to not continue anymore due to their massive flaws is valid. It's relieving to have people here with views like yours instead of believing that people should continue no matter what suffering they go through
I can understand your reluctance, the mental health industry doesn't have a great rep and it is true that a lot of professionals don't care as much as they should about their clients for various reasons. But sometimes we do need outside help despite our best efforts, and there's nothing wrong with that. I really hope you can find someone that works well with you and will actually help you in the long run, and most of all I'm just happy that you're open to giving it all a try.
I admit that I do need outside help but I find it annoying that therapy is the best version of outside help that society has to offer in this day and age. No offence to those taking therapy but I just see it as something that needs to be developed a lot to help those with complicated issues or those whose issues aren't merely due to an irrational cognition. Also I've noticed that therapy is based off the therapist convincing you that their views of life are true and that any other views that deviates from that is irrational. I need help but, no offence, I just don't think therapy is enough for me. What I think I need is someone by my side irl to teach me things without judgement and holds me accountable for my actions. This is what my parents should be doing yet they would refuse to.

But, hey, I guess I'll give therapy a try as I'm already referred to it anyway. Maybe therapy failing me could give me motivation to work on myself and do things that they failed. Or it'd make me value the importance of simply working through therapy sheets online without getting annoyed by a therapist
In my experience there is no right balance. I was lucky enough to have a few people that I could afford to embarrass myself in front of sometimes but even at other times when I practiced to myself, I had to be willing to sound really silly and speak super slowly just so my words could be clear. 😅 It was really embarrassing and hard but I had to brute force
my pacing sometimes.
I wish I had that luck. But.. maybe I do? I guess I could practice in therapy. Just gotta wait, uh, like half a year or something for that
I'm sorry to hear that, but that's fine too. It just means you have more time to focus on gaining some skills first and you might have less anxiety in the process.
Sorry but I don't see how people not approaching me means that I got more time to gain skills. Could you elaborate?

Edit: I was meant to have a phone appointment to discuss support and stuff regarding therapy but they delayed it for a week ugh. Case in point of the waiting times being awfully long. And this isn't even sessions for the actual therapy too

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, HighFlight, UsagiDrop and 2 others
ve.nin

ve.nin

Text
Nov 17, 2023
Ooha what this thread has become ❤️

I'm feeling a little better, still wanna go through with my plans, but tomorrow I wanna quit smoking. I hate it already

Have a great day/night

Wonderful to see you create this great support group 🫂

Proud if you (doesn't matter that I created it)

Take care❤️🫂

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, D1byRam3n, HighFlight and 8 others