• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
I had that effect with Abilify, which I must have taken in 2004 or so. Abilify was the only drug that I ever found to cause suicidal ideation. And that was the first time I ever had any suicidal thoughts.

Paxil (paroxetine) was the first mental health med that I had ever taken, and it was a total failure. All it did was cause anorgasmia. Though since psychiatrists are totally insane I was forced to try every single SSRI on the market, as if the first four total failures were not sufficient evidence that no SSRI was ever going to work.

marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Not quite the same but i have asthma and smoke , so i am always getting told off by my asthma nurse , anyway 2 months ago i stopped taking it as i[ am getting close to ctb i though nature might do it for me and i would have a massive attack as i am hardly sleeping meaning i`m smoking even more , I have never breathed so well and don't even cough when i have my 1st cig ! I know not all drugs are a con but makes you think .... well you don't really have to think too hard ...The global pharmaceuticals market was worth$934.8 billion in 2017 and will reach $1170 billion in 2021,

T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
my medic once told me that with ssri there is always a risk to become (more) suicidal. thats why they always give tcas with ssris to compensate this effect, when they don't know the person.

What is this about TCAs with SSRIs? I am quite familiar with psych meds and I've never heard of TCAs with SSRIs, except for where a TCA such as amitriptyline or doxepin (in low dose) is used to treat insomnia alongside an SSRI for depression.

As I'm sure most members of SS are aware, TCAs are fatal in OD and were leading suicide drugs back in the day (early 1980s, before Prozac hit the market in 1987). SSRIs quickly took over, displacing TCAs since docs no longer had to give out an antidepressant that presented a suicide risk. I think you can see the obvious problem inherent in giving a suicide drug to folks who are depressed as they tend to be the kind of patients who want to die. And amitriptyline is still one of the the leading suicide methods talked about on this board today.

Reactions: AtomicNewt
Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

My soul is awakened... and I’m f*cked
May 29, 2019
So I stopped paroxetine and my suicide thoughts are like 50% less intense. When I was on it I was thinking about suicide all the fucking time. That stuff is some evil shit I can tell you.
The withdrawals are intense but I agree. Since stopping in 2015 it hasn't been quite as intense. Messed up part is I was prescribed it for anxiety and depression. The dr knew of my suicidal thoughts prior too. Just intensified them.

inconsequential

inconsequential

Enlightened
Jun 1, 2019
I'm glad you're feeling better, and that stopping that shit has made it happen. It's kind of an evil drug. Made me want to CTB desperately, like frantically, was not thinking clearly at all.

Reactions: ThriveOrDie
R

rata1

Arcanist
May 8, 2019
What is this about TCAs with SSRIs? I am quite familiar with psych meds and I've never heard of TCAs with SSRIs, except for where a TCA such as amitriptyline or doxepin (in low dose) is used to treat insomnia alongside an SSRI for depression.

As I'm sure most members of SS are aware, TCAs are fatal in OD and were leading suicide drugs back in the day (early 1980s, before Prozac hit the market in 1987). SSRIs quickly took over, displacing TCAs since docs no longer had to give out an antidepressant that presented a suicide risk. I think you can see the obvious problem inherent in giving a suicide drug to folks who are depressed as they tend to be the kind of patients who want to die. And amitriptyline is still one of the the leading suicide methods talked about on this board today.
they prescripe tcas in the evening to sleep an ssris in the morning to compensate the (possible) suicidal effect of ssris i think

mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I have seen that black box warning on antidepressants that they can cause suicidal thoughts. I always thought it was bullshit but I guess not...
Maybe I should flush my Parnate.

Camille Lejeune

Camille Lejeune

Feb 14, 2019
So I stopped paroxetine and my suicide thoughts are like 50% less intense. When I was on it I was thinking about suicide all the fucking time. That stuff is some evil shit I can tell you.
Are you under 25? SSRIs may cause this in young people

Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018

I took it for at least 5 years (started at 23) that shit had the worst side effects. Teeth grinding,nightmares and some kind of electric jolts through my brain,sweating like crazy at night. But it helped for anxiety so it was the only reason i kept on it. Even after quitting i had side effects for 1-2 years. It was awfull. They should ban that crap... seriously it's torture that stuff.

Now i'm on escitalopram and it's just a world of difference ... Little to no side effects. Works a bit less wel but the only side effect i got is delayed/sometimes near impossible orgasm but i don't care much for it.

Must say though that neither even made a dent in my suicidality

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
K

Klee_

Aug 10, 2019

I recently stopped taking paroxetine as well. I quit cold turkey and the withdrawal was fucking awful. Those 2 weeks were pure suffering. Had brain zaps and whatnot

I'm glad I quit too

Reactions: your pathologist
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
Did you go off cold turkey? The withdrawal are terrible, but sometimes it's worth it. I'm off my med (Latuda and Prozac) right now. I stopped taking them about a month ago and while I don't feel drastically different in mood, I can now get little spells where I occasionally have the motivation to get up and do things (like clean up the trash, wash dishes, go grocery shopping). It's not much, but I appreciate it even if my mom says that makes me non-compliant.

E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
I had the exact same problem with fluoxetine and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. After finally getting off of it I was like 60% better in terms of suicidal thoughts.
Unfortunately now I'm right back up there but now there's no drug I can blame
But yeah, you're not alone, the problem with antidepressants is that sometimes they have the opposite effect you want then to. I hope you find one that works for you, whether it be a different medication or something else.

J

Juicebox

Trying to Stay Alive
Jul 31, 2019
Zoloft didn't make me more suicidal per se, but it did make suicide seem like "not that big of a deal" if you know what I mean

If I don't take it, I start getting scared of suicide again. But if I do take it, I just stare at walls/phone all day and will almost certainly CTB

Reactions: Final Escape
your pathologist

your pathologist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 5, 2018
The withdrawals from paroxetine for me lasted 3 months, and i experienced the worst insomnia imaginable [i felt like i didnt sleep for 68 days]
That was cold turkey
While i was on it i felt great
I moved across the country and didnt bother following up with a new doctor
Just stopped due to stress
110% do not recommend doing that

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Funny how they medicate u for depression by increasing your risk of suicide. We need to prevent suicide by giving u meds that will cause it. It's total hypocrisy.

Reactions: woxihuanni
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
Big pharma is complete bullshit and we look up to drs and they don't even see that they're bullshit??!
Peace/hugs/DEATH

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals