• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

End Piece

Student
Oct 4, 2019
I've decided I want to give life a fair shot. Honestly, I've been half assing it all this time, and I have a real opportunity right now for a fresh start. I have these fleeting moments of intense hopefulness at times, where I feel incredibly inspired and motivated. I want to do ALL the things. Then, the feeling leaves me and I feel silly for even thinking like that. How can I hold on to this feeling?

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I think you should go for it! If you have the opportunity to start over, it's worth a shot. I think the key is to just start and not look back, or you risk losing your motivation. But if you continue to make positive changes, you'll probably feel better and better, which will make it easier to keep going. It's still going to be a difficult process and will take a lot of hard work, but try not to get discouraged and backslide. I think it's important to be kind to yourself and recognize that you're still going to have bad days. Don't set unrealistic expectations.

RitaM

RitaM

Mountaineer
Aug 26, 2018
I feel similarly, which is why I recently went all out and decided to seriously pursue a career change into an area that is important to me. I've half-assed it for too long.

I know what you mean about the feeling coming and going. I guess we just have to try to cling onto it when it's there, and remember it when it's not. I'm thinking about giving myself a year. A set time to sort things makes it feel more bearable.

Oh and what @k75 says about being kind to yourself and making sure you don't set unrealistic expectations. Right now I'm taking it day by day, from moment to moment if I have to.

E

End Piece

Student
Oct 4, 2019
I think you should go for it! If you have the opportunity to start over, it's worth a shot. I think the key is to just start and not look back, or you risk losing your motivation. But if you continue to make positive changes, you'll probably feel better and better, which will make it easier to keep going. It's still going to be a difficult process and will take a lot of hard work, but try not to get discouraged and backslide. I think it's important to be kind to yourself and recognize that you're still going to have bad days. Don't set unrealistic expectations.
Yes, I think not setting unrealistic expectations may be the key. I tend to want to shake up my life like a snowglobe when I'm down like this, but perhaps gradual changes are more sustainable. After nearly half my life being more or less defined by mental illness, it's unreasonable to think I'm going to transform into a happy-shiny person.
Go for it!
I am the same,
Was very close to CTB and glad I'm still here.
I'm glad you're still here too :)

Reactions: ThreeJack
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I say go for it and give it your all! Maybe go to therapy and see a psychiatrist if you've never done that before to try and maintain that wonderful feeling that drives you. I wish nothing but the best for you.

Sadwind

Sadwind

want to go
Sep 21, 2019
I feel the same way. It's nice to see someone else not want to let go of hope. It's definitely worth hanging on to those good feelings if you can. More power to you

Reactions: End Piece