• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

ConfusedHurting2632

ConfusedHurting2632

Student
Dec 22, 2021
So I usually rarely post in the Recovery section of this site. I usually post in either Suicide Discussion or Offtopic. Suicide Discussion for especially heavy stuff, Offtopic for stuff that's slightly less heavy. But I usually don't post in Recovery because normally I don't believe things can get better, and I'm also really bad at taking any sort of advice. Even if it's my own advice. Taking any sort of advice feels like a chore. And when I'm feeling extremely down and hopeless, any sort of advice feels like basically just an insult to me. Like since even getting out of my bed in the first place (even if it's just to go to the bathroom or just to eat dinner and immediately lay back down) is already a massive challenge I can barely overcome, doing anything else just seems impossible, so any sort of advice feels like it's just mocking me.

But...the title kind of speaks for itself. Kindergarten through 12th grade were absolutely horrible for me. Literally all 13 years of K-12 education. Throughout these years I went from age 6 to age 18...I started Kindergarten at age 6, ended 12th grade at age 18. More specifically by the end of the year in 12th grade, by the time of the high school graduation I was almost 19 (only like a month or two off), but still 18. And today I'm 22 years old. So it's been about 4 or 3 years since my graduation. I'm not sure the specific details I'm mentioning even matter that much, but the main point, I was miserable throughout all of those years. I hated every single day. There were truly no good days. Only extremely shitty days and some slightly less shitty days.

What made those 13 school years so horrible? Well...a combination of things. The main thing was how the other students treated me. Because of how terribly the children and teenagers treated me throughout those years, even though I myself may be 22 years old today I've come to dislike children and teenagers in general every time I see them because I start to remember how bad the children and teenagers treated me when I was their age. Yes, I'm aware that some children and teenagers may be nice and kind, but they're certainly not the majority...not by a long shot. Children and teenagers "cute and innocent?" Yeah right...if anything they're the furthest thing from. I've read some stuff online about children and teenagers not having proper empathy formed till adulthood, and how they're basically psychopaths before hitting adulthood, and I'm inclined to believe that information based on my experiences.

Speaking of which, for my experiences with how the other students treated me...on a surface level it may not seem that bad, but for me, as someone who's always been extremely emotionally sensitive and most likely suffers from bipolar and borderline personality disorder, it certainly WAS that bad. Especially since it began from literally day 1 of kindergarten when I was 6, and carried on till my last day of 12th grade when I was 18. But basically the other kids would tease and mock me a lot, and just make fun of me in general. There MIGHT have been a FEW times where it was meant to be just playful banter, but for the vast majority of the time it certainly wasn't because they continued to make fun of me even after I made it clear to them I was upset. There were a few times where some of the other kids would physically attack me as well...this was much less frequent than the verbal bullying, but it happened a couple of times. Not anything super serious, but just general pushing, shoving, punching me really hard on the shoulder till bruises formed on my shoulder, punching me in the stomach, kicking me on the leg, trying to trip me, etc. So while nothing that resulted in serious injuries, I was still being physically assaulted. But even beyond that, even when I wasn't being made fun of or being physically attacked the other kids still didn't generally respect me or try to include me in things, and they would just kind of ignore me. Of course this was less bad in comparison to being made fun of or attacked, but it also wasn't too fun either.

Beyond how the other students treated me though...I just found school boring as fuck, and didn't like doing any of the assignments. While my grades were never horrible or anything (probably about average give or take) I struggled with the assignments because I had trouble concentrating on them and found them boring. The assignments weren't all necessarily THAT hard (though some were) but it was more just how never-ending it was: assignment after assignment, homework after homework, quiz after quiz, test after test, book after book, etc. Even if they were easy to moderate assignments it still stressed me out because of the sheer quantity of assignments. Studying and taking notes in class were also a pain in the ass for me. Add onto that how badly the other students treated me, and my extreme social anxiety and just general anxiety, it definitely made completing the assignments even harder. I didn't really find any class interesting either except for MAYBE drawing/art class, English/writing class, psychology class, and choir/singing class. And even with those classes I still didn't like the general school environment. The absolute worst classes for me were the AP classes...I did horrible in those, oh boy...I only took 4 total throughout all of high school, thank god, but they were painful...I tried taking 3 more extra AP classes, which would've made 7 total, but I dropped out of all 3 of them almost right away, and good call for me right there.

So we now know about my terrible experience with the other students, as well as about how I just didn't like the general school environment and the assignments...one last thing that probably needs to be mentioned...the teachers, admins, school staff in general, etc. Surprisingly they were okay for the most part! They were definitely the least horrible part about school. I hated the other students and the assignments, but the teachers were actually usually okay. Some were better than others, but yeah. They were generally pretty nice, respectful people. And in terms of teaching and explaining stuff, most of them did a decent job from what I could tell. I definitely did have a few horrible teachers...they were either rude/mean or just really bad at explaining stuff clearly, but luckily they were not the majority.

So there's that...luckily I'm 22 now and have been done with K-12 education for a few years now, so as far as that goes it's a relief.

However...does it get any better going forward? That's the real question I have here. I've read in many places online that as you get older and more mature things gradually become less and less stressful, and you're generally happier because you know how to cope with things in a better and more mature manner...however, is that actually true? I know that stuff that people spread around everywhere isn't always necessarily true. Even if the vast majority of people believe in that thing, it isn't always necessarily true.

Based on what I read, the brain doesn't fully develop until a certain age, and before that age life will be a lot harder, but after that age life will be a lot easier...different sources seem to have different numbers, but it seems that the general range is age 25 to age 30. So if that were the case I'd have have 3 to 8 years till life "gets easier"...which still seems way too fucking long, and I'm not sure I'm gonna survive until then, or if I'd even wanna survive until then.

As for what I'm doing currently at age 22, or what I've been doing since 12th grade ended when I was age 18...well nothing really. I haven't been working or studying or anything. Ever since I stopped doing anything I haven't gotten better, but I also haven't gotten worse for what it's worth. Throughout K-12 education I was basically getting even more and more depressed and suicidal each year that passed, while ever since school ended it's basically just kind of plateaued, not getting any better or worse. Which for me is actually a pretty good thing, for things to at least not get any worse.

As for any future plans...well I don't really have any. That's a huge reason why I'm on this suicide forum website. I still live with my parents, if it matters, and I have zero desire to ever be independent...it's just not something I care about in the slightest. And with all my mental illnesses living alone with no help can be extremely dangerous and risky for both me and everyone and anyone near me. I also don't care about working or going to college. I definitely didn't wanna go to college right away after completing K-12 education either, since I didn't want that painful slob of 13 years straight to become a painful slob of 17 or 18 years straight...and that's assuming we're talking normal 4 or 5 year colleges, it could certainly still be more. I have no plans of ever working or going to college, but IF I were to ever go to college, I'm glad I didn't go right away after the hell that was K-12 education, because without at least a break of a couple of years I would only break down even further being put in a stressful environment where I would be required to be super responsible and work very hard. As for work...IF I were to ever work, it would have to be a job where I work from home. I have way too much social anxiety, and just can't handle people. I'd literally just break down and panic. A remote job would at least be slightly less shitty.

But yeah...that's about it...K-12 education was horrible for me, but does it get any better going forward? That's about all I have to say, really...I should end this here...

C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
Things can get better for you yes. I wish I could leave it as some kind of guarantee without anything else, but whether it does really depends. All things are possible but not all things are accessible and I don't know what you personally need in order to get there. I think (in general) there's a higher chance of improvement with legally becoming an adult- especially in your case. School was actively harmful for you so getting out of that environment is great. You have more freedom to shape things to help you. If you know that being around large amounts of people and having to interact with them is going to make your life hell then you can intentionally pursue hobbies or jobs that are more solitary (like you mentioned, working from home being one example). Personally I'm of the opinion people do need other people to some extent, but it needs to be the right people and that can look different depending on who's involved and the circumstances.

I'm sorry school was so bad for you. I agree that at least waiting to go to college in light of that was probably a smart call. It can be very different from K-12 schooling (more freedom to choose what you're learning, less forced interaction with the same small group, more options to avoid people who suck, freedom to take classes online, etc), but even if that's not for you that's okay. A post secondary education does open doors, but it's not required for everything.

On the bigger topic of going forward. Recovery or life improving is rarely a one moment change. It's little things that stack up and a slow shift. Even in terms of brains fully developing it's gradual and can be hard to notice until you look back and compare it with where you were years ago. I think it's worthwhile to try. In terms of advice for your particular case I'd say start small. Try introducing something small you enjoy doing (or try things to find something you enjoy). Personally playing sports is really important and I actually found work to be helpful in many ways because it provided a certain amount of structure, gave me a place where people saw that I worked hard and said nice things about me (positive social interaction in general), made me feel useful (again very much not the case for everyone but personal factors), decreased anxiety about family judgement, got me out of the house and provided regular physical activity. It didn't fix my life and on some days it's hard and doesn't help, but overall it's more of a positive than negative. That's not going to necessarily be something that helps you of course. It's just trying things and seeing what works. If something does help then great- you have a new tool. If not you have information and can move on to other things.

I'm glad things at least aren't getting worse for you and I hope they do improve. If you want me to expand or clarify I anything (or just talk further) I'm happy to do so. I'm not super active on SS because I often don't have the energy, so the response might not be fast.

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedHurting2632
Death is my goal

Death is my goal

pathetic failure
Aug 25, 2022
i resonate with this a lot and have very similar experience, it might get better who knows but in my case it never did. could argue it even got worse.

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedHurting2632