• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Ennoia

Ennoia

icecream
Oct 30, 2019
Unfortunately the suicide methods link doesn't work.
You might try navigating between other time snapshots, it appears I picked one in which those links will not work. But the further back in time you go the higher the chances It will work. It is independant of the actual site, as it is a copy at the times specified there.

Reactions: Rdc
R

Rdc

Student
Aug 24, 2019
You might try navigating between other time snapshots, it appears I picked one in which those links will not work. But the further back in time you go the higher the chances It will work. It is independant of the actual site, as it is a copy at the times specified there.
Can you post the link that has the website with suicide methods link that works or explain how I can go further back in time to find it? Thanks.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Is it just me or does the lost all hope website ask for sign on I'd and password? I can't seem to get to the website.
Last I checked (today 13 december 2019) it was up and running, no password needed.

Reactions: voyager
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
BTW what did the info mention about how thick a rope should be in order to be both effective and least painful? What thickness range? Was it between 10 mm and something?

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I'm making this thread because the current thread that this forum links to regarding hanging, is pretty lacking of actual information. If it has any, it's buried beneath questions and confusion. There should be a thread here, where you read the main body post, and you are ready to go. I'm going to try and make that thousand page long thread into one post, you can read right now, and not have to sift through thousands of comments to find an answer.

Let's approach this the right way. Hanging is a very common method, yet it also seems to be the most debated when it comes to logistics...why? The variables.

Hanging method #1: partial suspension : http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/hanging/short-drop/simple-suspension

Hanging method #2: full suspension: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging

How to tie a proper noose:

Valuable information:
  1. In general, there are two ways of performing suicide by hanging: suspension hanging (the suspension of the body at the neck) and drop hanging (a calculated drop designed to break the neck). Manual strangulation and suffocation may also be considered together with hanging.[26]

2. To perform a suspension hanging, a rope or other ligature is tied into a noose which goes around the neck, a knot (often a running knot, which tightens easily) is formed, and the other end of the rope is tied to a ligature point; the body is then suspended, which tightens the ligature around the neck.

Regardless of the material used to form the noose, suspension hanging will kill the person in three ways: compression of the carotid arteries, the jugular veins, or the airway.[9][27]About 11 lb (5 kg) of pressure is required to compress the carotid artery; 4.4 lb (2 kg) for the jugular veins;[9] and at least 15 kg (33 lb) for the airway.[15] The amount of time it takes to lose consciousness and die is difficult to predict accurately and depends on several factors. Some believe unconsciousness occurs in five seconds, though Alan Gunn writes that it generally takes longer. It took a man who filmed his hanging 13 seconds to become unconscious, 1 minute and 38 seconds to lose muscle tone, and 4 minutes and 10 seconds for muscle movement to cease.[28][29] Full suspension is not required; most hanging suicides are done by partial suspension, according to Wyatt et al.[30] Geo Stone, author of Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences, suggests that death by obstruction of the airway is more painful than by the other ways.[26]

The aim of drop hanging, which is also frequently used in executions, is to break the neck. Participants fall vertically with a rope attached to their neck, which when taut applies a force sufficient to break the spinal cord, causing death.[26][31] The length of the drop, usually between 1.56 and 2.75 metres long, is calculated such that it is long enough to allow a less painful death, but short enough to avoid a decapitation.[32] This form of suicide is much rarer than suspension hanging[15] and is likely to be less painful.[33]

When I comes down to it, there are many ways you can choke yourself to death. If you cannot find peace in any of the information listed above, or any choking method already detailed here (like the night night method) then this method is simply not for you. It should be known already this is not a quick and painless death. You will experience agony, if only for a few seconds. If you think you can handle under 1 min of pain, hanging might be the best option for you. It's tried and tested true. It's all about how bad you want it.

There is a video I linked on how to tie a noose. If you jump off a solid object with that around your neck, you will be out in under 1 min and die if undisturbed. All these questions about rope quality and structural integrity of where you choose to tie to...don't kid yourself...it's up to you to find that out. If you are so desperate to find out the pounds per square inch a hotel closet bar can hold....I doubt your seriousness. Don't get me wrong, I've failed attempts too...but I can also be real about our situation...killing yourself is not hard...there are 1000000 ways to die...at the end of the day, it's how about how bad you want it.

Robin Williams probably didn't spend months of research on belt type statistics. He wanted to die, wrapped a belt around his neck, and did it. If you are not ready to face some uncomfortableness before your death, this method is not for you, plain and simple.

I don't want a painful death. I think hanging is the fools way out if I'm honest, because there are so many other less painful methods...but in the same breath, once you commit, that's it. There is no failing when you have a noose around your neck with a solid object.

Don't ask people about PSI. Don't ask people what rope to buy. Don't ask people what tree to tie too. These are all decisions you should be making yourself. The only thing you need to learn, is how to tie the rope, and what to tie it to. Once you know this, the ball is in YOUR court.

Edit: if you want this thread to gain traction, leave a comment and emoji. If you don't, this will get buried and the other thread will take back over, just saying.

Regarding the hangman's noose: I seem to recall in reading up on it, that the hangman's noose ironically is not the best to use. Yes, we have seen the hangman noose used in the classic Western movies, as well in all the historical photos of those who were condemned to death.

Bear in mind that, as was already stated here in this thread, most people do not do a lot of research on the technical methods of hanging. This would also support the notion that a hangman's noose is not necessary to successfully carry out self deliverance via hanging. I doubt singer Chris Cornell or Robin Williams made a hangman's noose.

I think it was mentioned that a knott such as a running bowline or something very similar would be better.

I don't want a painful death. I think hanging is the fools way out if I'm honest, because there are so many other less painful methods...
Hanging is the poor man's method—there are those who simply cannot afford N, or do not have access to guns. This is also the crux as to why for those who are really desperate to ctb, and cannot access another method will opt for train jumping despite the collateral adversity it supposedly causes to third party individuals. The 'damage' to conductors and pssengers is more in the form of annoyance of being inconvenienced.

Last edited:
OrdinaryDay

OrdinaryDay

Hollow
Dec 6, 2019
Random question here but I am desperately looking for some answers:

Would I be more successful hanging myself if I first went to partially suspend my carotid arteries and then when I feel like fainting away I kick the platform I was standing on aside and this way proceed to full suspension?

What I'm trying to explain is that I don't want to go for full suspension right away because there might be a chance that it will not block my carotid arteries right after I drop from a chair which might bring me to agonizing experience before I pass out. I attempted not so long ago and this is what I am trying to aim for - to pass out before all the unpleasant stuff happens. I was playing around with a noose around my neck for a while now so I kind of learned how to block my carotid arteries and pass out within seconds. I don't know how successful this is but I think it's a lot better than going straight to full suspension and then have unexpected not so joyful couple of seconds before passing out. But oh well everyone is different.
When my last attempt happened which was a couple of weeks back, I had a noose around my neck and sort of was doing what I just explained. But I kept them carotid arteries blocked for a little bit too long and I lost control over my body and almost completely slipped off a chair I was standing on. I was so close.. so close to dying that my brain started to create these weird visions and sounds. I could definitely feel how peaceful it would have been if I wasn't trying get back on that chair but instead I would have let it happen. It was so calm and inviting and I am still thinking about it everyday and I can't wait to have another attempt but this time I want it to be successful.

Cheshirecatx

Cheshirecatx

Curiouser and Curiouser
May 10, 2019
I have a 9m long piece of rope, what do I do with the excess as surely the weight of this will hang down and impact it's efficiency. It makes it more difficult to tie too! I only really need 2m max. Advice anyone?

BPDbitch

BPDbitch

Experienced
Nov 10, 2019
I have a 9m long piece of rope, what do I do with the excess as surely the weight of this will hang down and impact it's efficiency. It makes it more difficult to tie too! I only really need 2m max. Advice anyone?
cut the excess off

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
I'm making this thread because the current thread that this forum links to regarding hanging, is pretty lacking of actual information. If it has any, it's buried beneath questions and confusion. There should be a thread here, where you read the main body post, and you are ready to go. I'm going to try and make that thousand page long thread into one post, you can read right now, and not have to sift through thousands of comments to find an answer.

Let's approach this the right way. Hanging is a very common method, yet it also seems to be the most debated when it comes to logistics...why? The variables.

Hanging method #1: partial suspension : http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/hanging/short-drop/simple-suspension

Valuable information:
  1. In general, there are two ways of performing suicide by hanging: suspension hanging (the suspension of the body at the neck) and drop hanging (a calculated drop designed to break the neck). Manual strangulation and suffocation may also be considered together with hanging.[26]

2. To perform a suspension hanging, a rope or other ligature is tied into a noose which goes around the neck, a knot (often a running knot, which tightens easily) is formed, and the other end of the rope is tied to a ligature point; the body is then suspended, which tightens the ligature around the neck.

Regardless of the material used to form the noose, suspension hanging will kill the person in three ways: compression of the carotid arteries, the jugular veins, or the airway.[9][27]About 11 lb (5 kg) of pressure is required to compress the carotid artery; 4.4 lb (2 kg) for the jugular veins;[9] and at least 15 kg (33 lb) for the airway.[15] The amount of time it takes to lose consciousness and die is difficult to predict accurately and depends on several factors. Some believe unconsciousness occurs in five seconds, though Alan Gunn writes that it generally takes longer. It took a man who filmed his hanging 13 seconds to become unconscious, 1 minute and 38 seconds to lose muscle tone, and 4 minutes and 10 seconds for muscle movement to cease.[28][29] Full suspension is not required; most hanging suicides are done by partial suspension, according to Wyatt et al.[30] Geo Stone, author of Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences, suggests that death by obstruction of the airway is more painful than by the other ways.[26]

The aim of drop hanging, which is also frequently used in executions, is to break the neck. Participants fall vertically with a rope attached to their neck, which when taut applies a force sufficient to break the spinal cord, causing death.[26][31] The length of the drop, usually between 1.56 and 2.75 metres long, is calculated such that it is long enough to allow a less painful death, but short enough to avoid a decapitation.[32] This form of suicide is much rarer than suspension hanging[15] and is likely to be less painful.[33]

When I comes down to it, there are many ways you can choke yourself to death. If you cannot find peace in any of the information listed above, or any choking method already detailed here (like the night night method) then this method is simply not for you. It should be known already this is not a quick and painless death. You will experience agony, if only for a few seconds. If you think you can handle under 1 min of pain, hanging might be the best option for you. It's tried and tested true. It's all about how bad you want it.

There is a video I linked on how to tie a noose. If you jump off a solid object with that around your neck, you will be out in under 1 min and die if undisturbed. All these questions about rope quality and structural integrity of where you choose to tie to...don't kid yourself...it's up to you to find that out. If you are so desperate to find out the pounds per square inch a hotel closet bar can hold....I doubt your seriousness. Don't get me wrong, I've failed attempts too...but I can also be real about our situation...killing yourself is not hard...there are 1000000 ways to die...at the end of the day, it's how about how bad you want it.

Robin Williams probably didn't spend months of research on belt type statistics. He wanted to die, wrapped a belt around his neck, and did it. If you are not ready to face some uncomfortableness before your death, this method is not for you, plain and simple.

I don't want a painful death. I think hanging is the fools way out if I'm honest, because there are so many other less painful methods...but in the same breath, once you commit, that's it. There is no failing when you have a noose around your neck with a solid object.

Don't ask people about PSI. Don't ask people what rope to buy. Don't ask people what tree to tie too. These are all decisions you should be making yourself. The only thing you need to learn, is how to tie the rope, and what to tie it to. Once you know this, the ball is in YOUR court.

Edit: if you want this thread to gain traction, leave a comment and emoji. If you don't, this will get buried and the other thread will take back over, just saying.

Well done, friend.

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
Excellent analysis of hanging. Ultimately, you alone have to do it.
I'm a sorry if I came off abrasive in this post. I was pretty drunk when I made it. I don't regret the post, but I'm reading my own words right now and I kind of feel like an asshole for some parts. I struggle to consider every point of view when I'm drunk and I tend to become extremely opinionated. My apologies if I offended you.
You offended no one; you presented a highly informative post on sull suspension.

Last edited:
M

martin8383784

Dec 27, 2019

Valuable information:

thanks for putting this information together.
Now basically from all methods I researched most of them are error prone and have a high chance of failing. The exit bag also looks very complex and even if it is probably painless, there are so many things that can fail. Also given you need to acquire multiple hoses, connectors, pressure reducers that need to fit.
My life has been a nightmare ever since it started because me and my brother had terrible parents who fucked us up mentally.
Regarding hanging and as a method that is reliable sure it scares me to death but at the same time I am close to the point where I am broken down and almost completely given up on hope and life. So past this point simply there is no point to stay alive. This is my plan:
1. Get a strong rope from the store 8-10mm semi static that does not elongate much
2. Figure out a knot to use and also knots for the anchors (tree branches or something)
3. Find a place where there is no one nearby, like some wood or wilderness close to a road and no one lives nearby or goes along a nearby route
4. go there, park my car so it is rather hidden and not draw attention. Turn car lights off. Inspect the area for hours to make sure there is no activity as far as I can tell. Once darkness sets in which is around 5-6pm because it is winter, make sure there are no lights from homes nearby or someone passing by.
6. Use moonlight to set up things, anchor the rope, not use any other lights so I don't draw attention. Maybe this happens 400-500 m from where I have parked my car.
7. Get back to my car while I inspect the area and prepare. Get myself drunk as fuck and take some sedatives
8. When it is nighttime and I am sure there is nobody around, get back to the spot and just do it. I know it is much easier to think about it rather doing it actually but yeah if I reconsider my life fully and all the sadness and people making fun of me and never ever being able to be truly myself I think I will do it. I just want a point past which there is no coming back and even with severe agony it will take no more than 1-2 min

veren4h92l

veren4h92l

Aug 15, 2019
Hi martin8383784,

I do feel with your story n had a few related trials close-by.
Just contemplating #7 is most prone to make it a fail. Be careful.
The wilderness might be a rough but peaceful area and the moonlight soothing.
I often dream of a calm air and the woods eradiating some warmth it captured from the sun on daytime so when passing out one does not feel exposed to the surroundings. Which is scarce in winter, sadly.

A

ArthurDent

Feb 1, 2020
I tried to ctb with partial hanging from a door anda I have to say it's pretty painless. I used some fabric tied to the handle on one side, going over it and then a tie with a slipknot. The tie ended up breaking. I think the seam got undone and then it ripped.

The height was enough to put good pressure on my neck but I could still touch the floor with pointed feet. I was out in less than 10 seconds

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I tried to ctb with partial hanging from a door anda I have to say it's pretty painless. I used some fabric tied to the handle on one side, going over it and then a tie with a slipknot. The tie ended up breaking. I think the seam got undone and then it ripped.

The height was enough to put good pressure on my neck but I could still touch the floor with pointed feet. I was out in less than 10 seconds
Thanks for sharing this info, how did you recover though?

EDIT: Ok I see, the tie broke. Was it your intention to do a full ctb?

Last edited:
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Thanks again. Yes even hanging can be tricky though it seems to be the most common method if one cannot access guns or drugs / chemicals. If you try again, (hang) what will be materials do you intend on using?

Majin K.

Majin K.

too weak for this world
Jan 9, 2020
Op while there are less painful methods, when you're living with other people your options become more limited. So I'm afraid that right now partial hanging is the most attractive method for me.

maka

maka

iTaukei Mushroom
Apr 23, 2019

Thanks for this. Do you know how exactly you made yourself pass out? I've located the pulse on my neck but no matter how much pressure I use I can't make myself pass out. In my last attempt, even with padding I just felt like I was choking. It wasn't painful at all, but very uncomfortable.

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
But why did some people in the how to hang yourself thread say they experienced a warm and fuzzy feeling and even euphoria before they lost consciousness
Sounds like a great Canna͏b͏i͏s-like high to me...boy, I can hardly wait!

Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
Sounds like a great Canna͏b͏i͏s-like high to me...boy, I can hardly wait!
I attempted partial last summer. The euphoria right before blacking out from the lack of oxygen was overwhelming. I was really drunk but I remember talking to a police officer on the way to the hospital and telling him that dying feels amazing :D

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
I believe it IS amazing, can hardly wait, phil122. I reason that full suspension does the trick; there is next to no time to reconsider—-one drop and its over. This, I seem to reason, is why you were not successful; partial hanging requires strength of will to succeed. Kudos to you for trying, however. As for me, only full suspension will do. I am very interested—— what is death like? Did you feel a sense of self? Was there an ego to it, by that I mean did you have an awareness of self and/or were you aware that you had done the deed and, if so, were you aware of any remorse or guilt or regret? I hate to deluge you with questions, but... it would appear that you have seen the other side and would be well-suited to educate others like me.

A

ArthurDent

Feb 1, 2020
Thanks again. Yes even hanging can be tricky though it seems to be the most common method if one cannot access guns or drugs / chemicals. If you try again, (hang) what will be materials do you intend on using?

Two 25cm x 1m pieces of satin I have laying around. They're sturdy if you orient the weave vertically. Two knots for insurance.