• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
There is a trilogy of free e-books on the subject of life as an accomplished loner. It is written by a now 52 year old British man.

On the subject in question, this is the only accessible account I know of that is not written by a hormonal teenager, or by someone stuck in the perspective of a hormonal teenager.

The subject of suicide is brought up repeatedly, in a very practical and sober light.

The target audience of these books is very narrow. There are very few people who make it through life in this way. But to those few whom it may concern, this work is extremely relevant. I highly recommend it.

It starts with the titular "How To Be Alone Forever", which focuses on practical advice with a bit of essay thrown in. The following two volumes, "Being Yourself Alone Forever" and "Alone Forever At The End Of The World" are more essay-focused. Personal reflections.

Link to the blog below. The books can be downloaded there.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
There are those who ended up alone in their old age and did not expect or desire it. There are those who end up alone by preference. There are also those who feel alone because they do not know how to reach out to others.

It sounds like the narrow audience this is intended for are those who are alone by choice. However, in this group are some for whom it is more a survival option than a "choice". Those who may be abuse victims or deficient is social skills may feel that the path of isolation is preferable, however, they may still have a part of themselves that would respond to an expression of human kindness.

Life without human connection can become rather mechanical. The mechanical life is still preferable to one of pain. Before sealing oneself in a cocoon of protective isolation, it may be worthwhile to explore ways in which a bridge might be built to keep some thread of connection alive.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
There are those who ended up alone in their old age and did not expect or desire it. There are those who end up alone by preference. There are also those who feel alone because they do not know how to reach out to others.

It sounds like the narrow audience this is intended for are those who are alone by choice. However, in this group are some for whom it is more a survival option than a "choice". Those who may be abuse victims or deficient is social skills may feel that the path of isolation is preferable, however, they may still have a part of themselves that would respond to an expression of human kindness.

Life without human connection can become rather mechanical. The mechanical life is still preferable to one of pain. Before sealing oneself in a cocoon of protective isolation, it may be worthwhile to explore ways in which a bridge might be built to keep some thread of connection alive.
The books bring up a turning point in some people's lives that the author calls "the Great Epiphany", a conscious realization that you actually desire to be alone, and all your awkward social failures weren't because you are incompetent, but because in your heart of hearts you never wanted to succeed in the first place.

You don't know what you actually want when you're still young. I know I didn't. It takes time to experience yourself and arrive at conclusions. My own "epiphany" came when I was 25, just 3 years ago. I was very concerned and confused about being alone up to that moment. I could make no sense of what the problem was, and what was wrong with me, and why everyone around me was forming families and I wasn't. I'm not poor, not a junkie, not an autist, and not short on male attention, so there was no excuse. It turned out that I unconsciously bowed out of the game because it was in my nature to do so.

This is not actually a good thing. It's a pretty crappy nature to have, I'll be the first to admit that. Humans weren't made for this. But I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm not in denial about myself.

I'm not saying that everyone who's alone wants to be so. Many people who are alone genuinely long for companionship and they won't have any "epiphany" that tells them otherwise. I still think that the books are worth reading and thinking over for anyone who's on this site because of being alone. It will give a perspective on the subject that isn't given anywhere else.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Considering writing something similar, from my (quite different) perspective. Not a trilogy, but at least an essay or something. There's still something to be said on the topic of unattached life, but I doubt anyone whom it applies to will bother writing it down. It's should be obvious why. The thought of expressing things like this outside of my own thoughts never even occured to me before. I'm surprised this man went to the trouble.

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Considering writing something similar, from my (quite different) perspective. Not a trilogy, but at least an essay or something. There's still something to be said on the topic of unattached life, but I doubt anyone whom it applies to will bother writing it down. It's should be obvious why. The thought of expressing things like this outside of my own thoughts never even occured to me before. I'm surprised this man went to the trouble.
Please do <3

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
I don't want to be alone, I just can't trust that anyone ever actually wants me around and that they won't just abandon me.
There are def people out of the 8 BILLION of us that want you around and will nurture you. They exist and it sucks that maybe we have not run into enough of them <3 We all need connection- it is part of being human. And I am sorry that things have happened that have led you to have trust issues- that is okay also :) The right people will find you.

Reactions: Josh007
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I've written some stuff on being an isolated hermit and spending just about the last 15 years alone, save for living with my parents. I highly doubt that anyone could find any value in the nearly 150,000 words I've scribbled down since I began, but I decided to do it anyway. I think that, when it comes down to it, a life like mine will always be a constant struggle. I appreciate the attempt offered by guys, such as the one the OP mentioned, to try and offer other people out there who are also in this dismal position, some possibility for solace and acceptance when it comes to life long isolation, but, truthfully, it's something you're either capable of being indifferent to, or you aren't. Some just aren't. No amount of random tips or tricks will ever change that, although I'm not dissuading anyone from trying. I'm just pointing that if they can't, this isn't a result of their character flaws, or them refusing to accept where they're at. At the end of the day, it's hell being human. And the, shitty thing is, some people will cope with that predicament FAR better than some others can, through no fault of their own.

Not everyone can be a guy like Christopher Thomas Knight, for instance. Ultimately, you can only be what you are. And if what you are isn't conducive to this sort of thing (which almost everyone won't be), then all you can do instead is endure and make the best of it. For what it's worth, those who fall within the category of schizoids are the only ones whom I believe are actually capable of true, long lasting acceptance to being alone and separate from everyone else, for whatever might remain of their lives. CTK was the grand master of schizoids in this sense, so it's really no wonder why he managed to never be bothered by his decades spent completely alone in the wilderness. Or, at least, that's what he claims. Sometimes I wonder that even if he were lonely, that he'd never admit to it. Well, either way, some people are going to struggle with this far more than most others will. Such is the quirks of our individual personalities and the overwhelming shittiness of human biology.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Not everyone can be a guy like Christopher Thomas Knight, for instance.
This is an exaggerated example. We can't and shouldn't compare ourselves to literal hermits in the woods. That's a whole different life. It's more relevant for us to think about how to comfortably live in society with minimum possible engagement.

I've observed that people who do unbearably crave social engagement will jump through any hoops to get it. They'll endure any purgatory because what's on the other side is just that important to them. If I'm somehow forced to reveal to any female aquaintance that I'm a virgin at 28 I'm met with something like "If I were you, I'd go full psycho, I'd be climbing the walls and howling at the moon." I understand that they're not lying or exaggerating when they say this. They take risks, make sacrifices, throw away opportunities and endure abuse, all for a shot for meaningful companionship.

"Normal" people spend much their lives tripping over themselves in active pursuit of this. Virtually all the supposedly contented singles have a history of failed relationships, they've been there, done that, got burned in some way, and chose to retreat. That's one thing. But to not even attempt in the first place? That's already a major indication of your inner priorities. It must be even harder for men to deliberately sit still and do nothing, with their insatiable sex drive and everything.

It can mean different things and it takes a lot of time, maybe decades, to arrive at conclusions that you can work with.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
This is an exaggerated example. We can't and shouldn't compare ourselves to literal hermits in the woods. That's a whole different life. It's more relevant for us to think about how to comfortably live in society with minimum possible engagement.

Well, fair enough. It was only meant to indicate that some people are really just that indifferent to a sense of loneliness. For them, the emotion might very well not even exist in them at all. This is a pretty rare trait and, like I pointed out before, it's probably only reserved for schizoids of the highest caliber. On the flipside, a lot of guys become hermits (or at least claim to be hermits), but still remain in touch with people from time to time; like Richard Proenneke or Henry David Thoreau. Religious hermits are mainly guided by their own beliefs and, without them, would probably not be hermits. CTK seemed like the only hermit who truly wished to be a hermit for its own sake. He chose the woods as his place of solitude, but it's entirely possible he could've chosen a different path to achieve the same end and been more of a "modern hermit", thereby secluding himself in his own home. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he's doing right now, to be honest.

However, even with CTK, he claimed he'd sometimes see a "lady of the woods" whenever he was extremely close to starvation, or succumbing to the elements, or just straight up dying from illness. To him, it symbolized the grim reaper, but I wonder if it was also his loneliness coming though in a sense. Like I said, I highly doubt he'd ever admit to that being the case, assuming it actually were. It just goes to show that even for CTK, grandmaster of all schizoids, he might have probably still struggled with loneliness on some level and, just maybe, his extreme isolation as well. It's just that the alternative would be an even worse source of discomfort for him (as it is for me), so it was always easier/more natural to stick with what he felt most at home in, which was remaining isolated.

There's also Thomas Ligotti, who is a somewhat well known author and depressive that, by all accounts (including his own), lives an extremely secluded life. Even with the few acquaintances that he has, he's remarked on the fact that he still greatly suffers from feelings of depression, loneliness and anhedonia. He'd be the first to tell you the sheer self-defeating futility of human relationships and, to my knowledge, he's never gotten married, nor dabbled with the opposite sex for decades. He could very well be a virgin, as far as anyone knows. Again though, as rationally as either he or anyone else can accept the facts, one still has to grapple with the inherent nature of human beings. To put it simply, humans just didn't evolve to live this sort of way. Apes are the most family oriented and socially needy creatures on the planet. Never has their been an ape that evolved to live apart from other apes, in the same way a tiger can easily live apart from other tigers. or how an octopus can just as easily live apart from other octopods. The social needs of either creature begin and end at brief mating periods, spending the rest of their lives entirely alone. By contrast, apes live and interact with each other all the time. There's a fundamental clash between our individual natures and the general nature of the human genome. I feel that, for many, this clash simply can't be reconciled. You simply have to bear with it as best you can. If we could all somehow learn to be schizoid, then there'd at least be the chance to resolve the conflict present here to a satisfactory conclusion, but we can't.

Like most things, you're either born as one, or you're not. To suddenly become a schizoid; it's as impossible as willing one's height to change, or to force some genetic illness to vacate your body by sheer thought alone. I just think it's more honest to remind people that, by and large, the best you can do here is damage control. The pain will always be there, that simply can't be helped, and anyone who says otherwise is usually lying (either to themselves or others), but here's some ways you can try to mitigate it all the same. If the above author had the sense to realize this, then all the more power to having done what he did. If not, well I just think that's being a bit disingenuous. No one can simply ignore their biology. They can manage it to an extent, but a good deal of the pain will just need to be endured. There's really no way around it.

As far as men potentially suffering this predicament more than women might; that could possibly be true. Men have heightened sexual desires to contend with making it more difficult to go through life without ever having a mate, but women are generally more socially minded and tend to crave social contact just as much, if not moreso than males do, albeit for much different reasons. For women, this takes the form of needing other female friends to confide in or mingling with other people for various reasons. Historically, women were always at the center of village life and agrarian societies, engaging in group actives and generally keeping close bonds with the "local tribe", as it were. Going back to hermits for a minute, it's not often that there have ever been female ones. Almost all hermits/recluses tend to be male, which suggests that it's hard for most females to adopt a totally solitary position in life. Beyond anyone's gender though, it really just comes down to how each individual person can manage to cope with this sort of thing. I mean, after all, schizoids can be either male or female, which is already the best advantage you can have when trying to live a life forever alone, while getting by with only the most minimal of social contact.

For myself, if it weren't for my mother being around, and thus having the ability to talk with her on a regular basis, I'd have a much tougher time being this way. I could never interact with other humans, nor would I really want to. Be that as it may, and as I think you mentioned once before, we all need some kind of social interaction to get by. For many, this is fulfilled by the internet and bantering back and forth on forums like this one. Here's the rub though. Sometimes this just isn't enough. I know that, speaking for myself, even with having my mother to talk to and this forum to come to, I still struggle with the pain of my isolation and the conflict that causes with my human biology. The pain is lessened by the presence of my mother and this forum, but it isn't gone entirely. Quite the contrary, there are days where it's still quite intense, or downright painful. Even with the stuff I have currently at my disposal, I find that depression, and the constant pain management therein, is still a very real struggle for me. Like I said, the best I, or most anyone can do; is damage control. That's why I somewhat envy schizoids because any damage control they might need to grapple with is very minimal, or perhaps non-existent altogether. It really sucks how even when it comes to crap like this, it still basically comes down to genetics in the end.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Like most things, you're either born as one, or you're not. To suddenly become a schizoid; it's as impossible as willing one's height to change, or to force some genetic illness to vacate your body by sheer thought alone.
You don't "suddenly" become schizoid. You arrive at it after a lifetime of having your character shaped into it by a combination of nature and nurture.

I still recommend you read the books linked in the OP. They're casually presented and easy to digest, in a way that such books usually aren't. I promise that you'll enjoy them.

N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Will speak from mine point of view. I got used to be lonely most of the time. The harders part that i needed help at some point. And there was no one i can count on. No one i can trust. No one to even ask for the right advice. I wasn't able to even get an advice. So i was forced to fight my way alone and i did. Now i prefer to solve my problems alone. I also avoid problems that others try to bring to me. It works fine. And now i don't feel alone at all, knowing i can do whatever i want without the limits other people have in their heads.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I just noticed that the author deleted his blog. Did the suicide whisky come in handy so soon, old man?

The books are attached to this post, because I'm a cheeky pirate like that. The order of reading:

1. How to be alone forever
2. Being yourself alone forever
3. Alone forever at the end of the world

Attachments

• Alone Forever At The End Of The World - Barry Manalone.pdf
    679.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Being-Yourself-Alone-Forever.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • How To Be Alone Forever by Anonymous.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020
The books bring up a turning point in some people's lives that the author calls "the Great Epiphany", a conscious realization that you actually desire to be alone, and all your awkward social failures weren't because you are incompetent, but because in your heart of hearts you never wanted to succeed in the first place.

You don't know what you actually want when you're still young. I know I didn't. It takes time to experience yourself and arrive at conclusions. My own "epiphany" came when I was 25, just 3 years ago. I was very concerned and confused about being alone up to that moment. I could make no sense of what the problem was, and what was wrong with me, and why everyone around me was forming families and I wasn't. I'm not poor, not a junkie, not an autist, and not short on male attention, so there was no excuse. It turned out that I unconsciously bowed out of the game because it was in my nature to do so.

This is not actually a good thing. It's a pretty crappy nature to have, I'll be the first to admit that. Humans weren't made for this. But I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm not in denial about myself.

I'm not saying that everyone who's alone wants to be so. Many people who are alone genuinely long for companionship and they won't have any "epiphany" that tells them otherwise. I still think that the books are worth reading and thinking over for anyone who's on this site because of being alone. It will give a perspective on the subject that isn't given anywhere else.
Interesting. I had my realization that I am wired to enjoy others around a year ago. It's inescapable and I must learn to manage it. However, thank you for sharing your experience. I will mention and I suspect you might not disagree is that the "I don't like people/I hate people/" thing is a coping mechanism. The majority of people that say those things are not wired to actually avoid people and it is just a self destructive coping mechanism to avoid connection. But, anyways, that is all I will say on the matter
I've written some stuff on being an isolated hermit and spending just about the last 15 years alone, save for living with my parents. I highly doubt that anyone could find any value in the nearly 150,000 words I've scribbled down since I began, but I decided to do it anyway. I think that, when it comes down to it, a life like mine will always be a constant struggle. I appreciate the attempt offered by guys, such as the one the OP mentioned, to try and offer other people out there who are also in this dismal position, some possibility for solace and acceptance when it comes to life long isolation, but, truthfully, it's something you're either capable of being indifferent to, or you aren't. Some just aren't. No amount of random tips or tricks will ever change that, although I'm not dissuading anyone from trying. I'm just pointing that if they can't, this isn't a result of their character flaws, or them refusing to accept where they're at. At the end of the day, it's hell being human. And the, shitty thing is, some people will cope with that predicament FAR better than some others can, through no fault of their own.

Not everyone can be a guy like Christopher Thomas Knight, for instance. Ultimately, you can only be what you are. And if what you are isn't conducive to this sort of thing (which almost everyone won't be), then all you can do instead is endure and make the best of it. For what it's worth, those who fall within the category of schizoids are the only ones whom I believe are actually capable of true, long lasting acceptance to being alone and separate from everyone else, for whatever might remain of their lives. CTK was the grand master of schizoids in this sense, so it's really no wonder why he managed to never be bothered by his decades spent completely alone in the wilderness. Or, at least, that's what he claims. Sometimes I wonder that even if he were lonely, that he'd never admit to it. Well, either way, some people are going to struggle with this far more than most others will. Such is the quirks of our individual personalities and the overwhelming shittiness of human biology.
You took the words out of my mouth. Abandonment, individualism, rejection, etc., are absolutely horrifying things. This is why I do not blame people for wanting to just leave. There is intense joy in life, but also pain. And to wake up in the morning you have to be find a balance of just about everything. This means finding your crowd, not worrying about hypotheticals, living in the now, mitigating overthinking, not running from pain, finding a work/life balance, acceptance that you will never know/have everything you want, etc. It's incredibly hard to do.

Last edited:
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I just noticed that the author deleted his blog. Did the suicide whisky come in handy so soon, old man?

The books are attached to this post, because I'm a cheeky pirate like that. The order of reading:

This is definitely funny, but goddamn am I upset about how much I relate down to the fixation on Julia.

Reactions: Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I will mention and I suspect you might not disagree is that the "I don't like people/I hate people/" thing is a coping mechanism. The majority of people that say those things are not wired to actually avoid people and it is just a self destructive coping mechanism to avoid connection.
If we zoom out a little, I think the most destructive coping mechanism is trying to science yourself. Trying to figure out where I fit in the big psychobabble has brought me the most bitterness and confusion of all the things I've tried. What does it mean to be "healthy"? What is normalcy? How do I change myself to be healthy and normal? How do I define the Healthy and Normal Person that should be my point of reference? What are good and bad coping mechanisms? What is destructive and what is constructive? What am I allowed and disallowed to think and do?

Throwing out all that and focusing on my own intuition and experience as a guide was probably the best mental health decision in my life.

Aww, the author has deleted the site.
I suspected this would happen so I uploaded the books directly, see my post above.

This is definitely funny, but goddamn am I upset about how much I relate down to the fixation on Julia.
I'm curious why you're upset about that.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
If we zoom out a little, I think the most destructive coping mechanism is trying to science yourself. Trying to figure out where I fit in the big psychobabble has brought me the most bitterness and confusion of all the things I've tried. What does it mean to be "healthy"? What is normalcy? How do I change myself to be healthy and normal? How do I define the Healthy and Normal Person that should be my point of reference? What are good and bad coping mechanisms? What is destructive and what is constructive? What am I allowed and disallowed to think and do?

Throwing out all that and focusing on my own intuition and experience as a guide was probably the best mental health decision in my life.

I suspected this would happen so I uploaded the books directly, see my post above.

Why wouldn't I be upset? I don't want to relate to someone who decided to be alone for the rest of his life.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
It's not so much a decision as it is a post-fact realisation.
Same difference as far as I'm concerned. He's got 20 years on me.

Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020

Interesting. I found my balance by not zooming out too much and trying to pursue a somewhat more "normal" thought process

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021

Thanks for archiving, it's a bit of an interest to me since I was homeschooled and only really left my room for the grocery store or sometimes grandparents.
Like most things, you're either born as one, or you're not. To suddenly become a schizoid; it's as impossible as willing one's height to change, or to force some genetic illness to vacate your body by sheer thought alone.
I do have a contention with this and that it's largely that those who are schizoid are made by abuse/neglect and hence it forms into a "personality disorder" Regardless, even checking on wikipedia (i know, i know referring to wikipedia as a "source" but meh) they can desire intimacy (joining random odd groups (political or otherwise) for social belonging) and otherwise be afraid of it despite their personality disorder being defined by not desiring things or others. Just their mental framework is so well designed as a protective factor for them at that point it's like a suit of armor that's melted into their skin and can't really be taken off at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Same difference as far as I'm concerned. He's got 20 years on me.
I'm younger than you and can see the difference. It must be something that comes at a certain stage of life.

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Skimmed the book, it's ok. I actually read the first long a long time ago (or part of it) but had forgotten about it.

R

rs929

Specialist
Dec 18, 2020
Are there more resources like this? Like.. how to be alone and happy? Or kind of happy?

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Are there more resources like this? Like.. how to be alone and happy? Or kind of happy?
Not that I know of. Resources for loners are only focused on how to stop being a loner, not how to be one.

HEY its no longer available!!!!
See here: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/how-to-be-alone-forever.59727/#post-1216297

Reactions: Seiba