• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
I have an extremely difficult time trying to stay calm when talking to people in positions of authority. I just got an opportunity to possibly get a job and I'm trying to calm myself down from getting nervous. I'm worried that I'm gonna fuck this up.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I suppose the question is how do you display your nervousness ? Loudly, internalise, resent, appease etc. AND, more importantly why are you nervous?

People who abuse their power trigger me due to my past trauma. I go on the offensive, slicing them down to a size I think is appropriate. Obviously this isn't ok behaviour from me… who says I'm right and what's the 'right size'… so I try and look at things from their perspective and ask myself why I'm feeling like this and is that feeling justified.

You can't stop your unconscious immediate reaction / feeling, but once you've noticed it, you can then consider your options.

That might not have made sense. Sorry.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️
Jul 1, 2020
im not sure if i could provide advice, but may i ask what kind of self destruction? depending on what youre feeling/thinking there might be more specific advice that can be given.
my best advice though is probably deep breathing as tiring as it is to probably hear. just pay attention to your breathing and repeat a 'mantra' something useful/calming to you

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
I suppose the question is how do you display your nervousness ? Loudly, internalise, resent, appease etc. AND, more importantly why are you nervous?

People who abuse their power trigger me due to my past trauma. I go on the offensive, slicing them down to a size I think is appropriate. Obviously this isn't ok behaviour from me… who says I'm right and what's the 'right size'… so I try and look at things from their perspective and ask myself why I'm feeling like this and is that feeling justified.

You can't stop your unconscious immediate reaction / feeling, but once you've noticed it, you can then consider your options.

That might not have made sense. Sorry.
No, I understand what you mean. I guess it's a mix of internalization and some outward cues. I feel like I'm having a heart attack and my eye will often twitch when I'm nervous. I think I've gotten somewhat better but when it comes to talking to people who aren't equals then I start panicking.
im not sure if i could provide advice, but may i ask what kind of self destruction? depending on what youre feeling/thinking there might be more specific advice that can be given.
my best advice though is probably deep breathing as tiring as it is to probably hear. just pay attention to your breathing and repeat a 'mantra' something useful/calming to you
I have a habit of motor mouthing alongside some awkward facial movements when I'm nervous.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
So, I'm not in game of diagnosing people, but from what you've said, I would look at anxiety management. I think there's a newish pinned section in Recovery called something like worksheets and booklets. I had a quick look previously and think it might help.

What you're describing isn't insurmountable and you definitely have the insight to recognise your own triggers. Have a look and if you want to bounce any ideas around, give me a shout.

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
So, I'm not in game of diagnosing people, but from what you've said, I would look at anxiety management. I think there's a newish pinned section in Recovery called something like worksheets and booklets. I had a quick look previously and think it might help.

What you're describing isn't insurmountable and you definitely have the insight to recognise your own triggers. Have a look and if you want to bounce any ideas around, give me a shout.
Good news. I think I landed the job I was going for.

• Hugs
Reactions: Cloud Busting
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I have an extremely difficult time trying to stay calm when talking to people in positions of authority. I just got an opportunity to possibly get a job and I'm trying to calm myself down from getting nervous. I'm worried that I'm gonna fuck this up.
Have you tried anxiety meds or relaxants?