• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

Janebb

Nov 11, 2019
Being bipolar comes with so much baggage. People throw the word around at work like " oh Beth is so moody today, she's so bipolar!" Seriously WTF. When will the stigma be gone? When will there be people I can connect with in my community? They are probably all hiding thinking about ctb like me 50% rate of suicide with the illness. Not great odds. But either way, where do you find support? Any ideas other than NAMI? They don't operate in my area.
Thx

Science Is Scary

Science Is Scary

Evidence is the path to the truth. Maybe.
Oct 17, 2019
You mentioned NAMI, so I'm going to assume you're in the United States.

Are you looking for treatment from a mental health professional or just support organizations?

Reactions: Janebb
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I did virtual emdr today just one time and I'm actually doing stuff that felt difficult just earlier today. Like things I don't want to do and I forgot about smoking weed. I'm hoping this is just like a fluke and something else is causing this. If in the coming weeks I can quit weed and be more functional I'll be recommending the shit out of this program. It is affordable if u can afford like $69 per month and have tablet or laptop to do it on. Some headphones. I'm tripping right now because I'm suddenly tackling cleaning stuff and like tedious shit I hate doing. I'm not weighed down by too much emotional pain so badly.

Reactions: azucaramargo
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Being bipolar comes with so much baggage. People throw the word around at work like " oh Beth is so moody today, she's so bipolar!" Seriously WTF. When will the stigma be gone? When will there be people I can connect with in my community? They are probably all hiding thinking about ctb like me 50% rate of suicide with the illness. Not great odds. But either way, where do you find support? Any ideas other than NAMI? They don't operate in my area.
Thx
I'm bipolar too. Wow you have a job; so great. The stigma in my country is I will run amok lol. A person came out on live national tv to destigmatize bipolar ended up being fired from his job the next day, and now in a terrible downward spiral of depression. He a valiant that wanna represent us, but got ostracized instead.

J

Janebb

Nov 11, 2019
I'm bipolar too. Wow you have a job; so great. The stigma in my country is I will run amok lol. A person came out on live national tv to destigmatize bipolar ended up being fired from his job the next day, and now in a terrible downward spiral of depression. He a valiant that wanna represent us, but got ostracized instead.
Yes. I hide it from everyone but when I have episodes I have to come up with reasons why I "got sick". Part of my family knows and brought up how when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer everyone gathered around and asked how to help and had so much sympathy. However for being bipolar is like having a shameful disease. Like we would ever choose to be this way. It's so unfair on so many different levels. :(

• Aww..
Reactions: puppy9
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm bipolar too. The stigma of mental illness is far from gone in my country, but it's slowly but steadily getting weaker. I think that one of the reasons it's getting weaker is that a handful of our celebrities have been completely open about their illness, including our most popular actor. When I've told selected friends and colleagues that I'm bipolar they have been slightly uncomfortable in a couple of cases, but in most cases they have reacted just as if I was talking about diabetes or something along those lines.

For me, the problem is rather that those who know about my illness fail to realise how serious it is, and I know that I'm not alone in this. I suffer from bipolar disorder II, which actually has a higher suicide rate than bipolar disorder I, so I don't get mania. Depression is not as obvious as mania so I evidently don't appear ill. It feels like I'm dying from poisoning, but no one cares because they can't see it. But then again, I've only told a couple of people about my death wish and suicide attempts.

Exactly what kind of support are you looking for? In your country,, which I assume is the USA, there's DBSA for instance. They seem to have support groups all over the country, so maybe there's one in your state? Also, I know there are online forums focusing specifically on bipolar disorder, but I don't know if they're any good.

Reactions: puppy9
C

crazydoc1

Nov 15, 2019
I'm a psychiatrist living with bipolar 1. I've been through many hospital stays, depression, mania, psychosis, ECT, the whole thing. I'm depressed more than anything. I will tell you there is good help out there. Of course I'm biased but there are good doctors out there I think, who care. It can take time to find one. My life really changed when I found a good therapist. I never believed it would help. I know I wouldn't be alive without him. Work helps me. Finding meaning helps, but in the dark days it is truly excruciating, as you know.
There is stigma I completely agree. I think it comes from fear and ignorance. This stuff is frightening. I wish things were easier for you. I'm really torn because part of me wants to be out with this illness and tell my story. In case it would help. But I'm not sure how accepting the world would be. Anyway, sending support and love your way.

J

Janebb

Nov 11, 2019
I'm bipolar too. The stigma of mental illness is far from gone in my country, but it's slowly but steadily getting weaker. I think that one of the reasons it's getting weaker is that a handful of our celebrities have been completely open about their illness, including our most popular actor. When I've told selected friends and colleagues that I'm bipolar they have been slightly uncomfortable in a couple of cases, but in most cases they have reacted just as if I was talking about diabetes or something along those lines.

For me, the problem is rather that those who know about my illness fail to realise how serious it is, and I know that I'm not alone in this. I suffer from bipolar disorder II, which actually has a higher suicide rate than bipolar disorder I, so I don't get mania. Depression is not as obvious as mania so I evidently don't appear ill. It feels like I'm dying from poisoning, but no one cares because they can't see it. But then again, I've only told a couple of people about my death wish and suicide attempts.

Exactly what kind of support are you looking for? In your country,, which I assume is the USA, there's DBSA for instance. They seem to have support groups all over the country, so maybe there's one in your state? Also, I know there are online forums focusing specifically on bipolar disorder, but I don't know if they're any good.
Yes, I am in New England USA. I looked into all of the programs when I was first diagnosed. Then I realized they a bunch a bs. I wanted to know how to thrive with the disease not just barely live. I feel like if I wasn't so alone it would be easier. I always dream about having a boyfriend. Someone to be there through my hypo manic sex crazed times, and snuggle me through the depression.

Reactions: Sensei
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
Of course there's help for mental illness.
Yes, I am in New England USA. I looked into all of the programs when I was first diagnosed. Then I realized they a bunch a bs. I wanted to know how to thrive with the disease not just barely live. I feel like if I wasn't so alone it would be easier. I always dream about having a boyfriend. Someone to be there through my hypo manic sex crazed times, and snuggle me through the depression.
You just described my friends life. Her husband just left her because of that. He couldn't deal with it anymore.