S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
Hello, gang. Had a question about this product. It's a helium cylinder from Canadian tire. I zoomed in on the cylinder, and saw this:
Helium

Does this truly mean it's 100% helium? Or is this not accounting for the 20% oxygen that they 'must' add in the USA and Canada, per other threads I've read here? Anyone have any experience with this? The more I look at and think about helium, the more ideal it seems to be. Have a few drinks and a benzo or five to get into the mood, place the elastic-equipped bag over your head, insert hose/air line, and then turn on the cylinders. It's very easy, very efficient, and very peaceful. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you!

SMTE

Reactions: Passersby and squirley
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
€64,99 is very cheap. Is this a refillable gas cylinder ? I doubt it. How many liters ? Does it say anything about the pressure?
If 20% oxygen is added you can not use it ! You need an inert gas with a purity of at least 99,8% (=helium / nitrogen 2.8).

Reactions: tera_forest, DeadHead and squirley
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I wonder if they're still using "old" images from before the new rules went into effect regarding the 20% oxygen requirement?

You should send them a message and ask them what "grade" of helium they're selling. Or, you could even go to the Airise website and ask them what grade they're supplying to the stores. From what I've just been able to determine, "Grade 4" helium, which is for balloons, can be anywhere from 99.99% pure helium all the way down to the 80-something % range.

https://zephyrsolutions.com/what-are-the-different-grades-of-helium-and-what-are-they-used-for/

Last edited:
Reactions: tera_forest, DeadHead and squirley
squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
I wonder if they're still using "old" images from before the new rules went into effect regarding the 20% oxygen requirement?
I was literally just about to type this... man this like the old school picture you'd see when people ctb with it

Reactions: DeadHead
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022

Some of these dealers have stores across Canada. When they ask you what you need it for: You are developing a new product that you want to patent. Therefore you cannot give any further information.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadHead and squirley
S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
I'm going to go to the physical store and look at the cylinders. The photo does say 99%.

But aside from that, would any of you agree that helium is an amazingly efficient and effective choice? It seems to be, given everything I've read. I'm just ready to go. I foolishly left a rope with a slip-knot hanging in my room the other day. A family member saw it and was quite concerned. However, I do not have a closet in this room, and so I quickly explained it away as a method to hang clothes on, and I explained that I just hadn't yet attached the other end to a secure 2nd anchor point.

Reactions: squirley
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
would any of you agree that helium is an amazingly efficient and effective choice?
Yes !

S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022

Some of these dealers have stores across Canada. When they ask you what you need it for: You are developing a new product that you want to patent. Therefore you cannot give any further information.
Nitrogen? Is that a better choice than helium? If you don't want to take the time to explain why why not, it's okay. I have never heard of nitrogen.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
Both gases work in the same way. Most members use nitrogen because it´s a lot cheaper.

S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
€64,99 is very cheap. Is this a refillable gas cylinder ? I doubt it. How many liters ? Does it say anything about the pressure?
If 20% oxygen is added you can not use it ! You need an inert gas with a purity of at least 99,8% (=helium / nitrogen 2.8).
All of the information you seek should be included here. As far as being refillable, that wouldn't matter, would it? 🤣 I would purchase two and use a "Y" tubing method.
Both gases work in the same way. Most members use nitrogen because it´s a lot cheaper.
Okay, I'll look into it, thank you.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
All of the information you seek should be included here. As far as being refillable, that wouldn't matter, would it? 🤣 I would purchase two and use a "Y" tubing method.
Ok. So it´s party balloon gas. This is not a refillable inert gas cylinder. Which of the 5 inert gas methods do you want to use @OP ?

SCUBA, SCBA, EEBD hood, Exit Bag, Rebreather ?
As far as being refillable, that wouldn't matter, would it?
Yes it would ! A refillable steel cylinder is a high pressure cylinder (200 - 300 bar). This is what you need e.g. for the SCUBA method.
Before you look for a gas cylinder you have to decide which of the 5 inert gas methods you want to use.

Last edited:
squirley

squirley

May 6, 2023
Also with the newer " party Ballon " tanks didn't they add some regulator or safety type thing and the tanks won't just run open and deplete? Into hose / bag. ? Not sure on this but I thought they added something.

If you end up going to to candian tire and it's the older tanks please update I'll go right away.
100%helium etc.
was looking at nitrogen before as well but it was only big tanks and not cheap plus all the adapters etc.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
Don't do experiments. Use a proven guide. If you fail you will most likely have permanent brain damage.
It is a proven guide. It's that one video with the old guy who explains the whole process with helium. You probably know what video I'm talking about, but I'll see if I can find it.
Ok. So it´s party balloon gas. This is not a refillable inert gas cylinder. Which of the 5 inert gas methods do you want to use @OP ?

SCUBA, SCBA, EEBD hood, Exit Bag, Rebreather ?

Yes it would ! A refillable steel cylinder is a high pressure cylinder (200 - 300 bar). This is what you need e.g. for the SCUBA method.
Before you look for a gas cylinder you have to decide which of the 5 inert gas methods you want to use.
I want to use the exit bag, where it's a bag coupled with an elastic. The gas-bearing tube is then inserted under the elastic band and the gas is then turned on.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
Ok. This thread should be helpful:

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I'm going to go to the physical store and look at the cylinders. The photo does say 99%.

But aside from that, would any of you agree that helium is an amazingly efficient and effective choice? It seems to be, given everything I've read. I'm just ready to go. I foolishly left a rope with a slip-knot hanging in my room the other day. A family member saw it and was quite concerned. However, I do not have a closet in this room, and so I quickly explained it away as a method to hang clothes on, and I explained that I just hadn't yet attached the other end to a secure 2nd anchor point.
This is a review for the Airise Helium sold by ToysRus Canada. https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Airise-Standard-Portable-Helium-Tank/24937832.html

Screenshot 2023 09 10 at 14 46 00 Buy Airise Standard Portable Helium Tank for CAD 3999 Toys

S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
Ok. This thread should be helpful:
Thank you. I can't seem to find the video where the old gentleman explained the helium method. Do you remember the video that I speak of?
I won't be going to toys r us. I will go to canadian tire and inspect the cylinders they have for sale @ $65 each, as listed in my OP

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
No, I don´t. Maybe someone in the exit bag megathread knows.

S

SeenMoreThanEnough

Student
Sep 16, 2022
I am getting excited just talking about ctb. I can't wait to get out of here :smiling:
No, I don´t. Maybe someone in the exit bag megathread knows.
Okay, thank you. I'll search more efficiently when I'm less inebriated. Thanks for all of your help, befree

Reactions: befree and squirley
squirley

squirley

May 6, 2023
100% as well Interesting.
Like others said about mixing in oxygen or whatever. Can't remember if it was to stop ctb by addding. or because it was cheaper to produce. I wonder with all the news about SN , they just had a warehouse full of these and decided hey we can put these back on the shelf now lul

A

anonaon

Student
Feb 26, 2023
Nitrogen? Is that a better choice than helium? If you don't want to take the time to explain why why not, it's okay. I have never heard of nitrogen
They're both inert gases so it doesnt really matter. Pure helium is recommended for exit bag setups cuz its a much lighter gas meaning it will flush out co2 more efficiently but for any other setup (hood/SCBA/SCUBA...) it doesnt matter. NItrogen is cheaper, and more readily available than helium so it's become the new stardard for CTB via inert gas
Thank you. I can't seem to find the video where the old gentleman explained the helium method. Do you remember the video that I speak of?

I won't be going to toys r us. I will go to canadian tire and inspect the cylinders they have for sale @ $65 each, as listed in my OP
Are you reffering to Derek Humphery? He made a step-by-step video on how to kys with ballon time helium tanks as did Philip Nitschke. Both those videos can be found on the resources thread

Last edited:
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
100% as well Interesting.
Like others said about mixing in oxygen or whatever. Can't remember if it was to stop ctb by addding. or because it was cheaper to produce. I wonder with all the news about SN , they just had a warehouse full of these and decided hey we can put these back on the shelf now lul
That almost sounds too good to be true. And, supposedly, there is a helium shortage, so that may have contributed into adding air to it. IDK.

Reactions: tera_forest and squirley
squirley

squirley

May 6, 2023
They're both inert gases so it doesnt really matter. Pure helium is recommended for exit bag setups cuz its a much lighter gas meaning it will flush out co2 more efficiently but for any other setup (hood/SCBA/SCUBA...) it doesnt matter. NItrogen is cheaper, and more readily available than helium so it's become the new stardard for CTB via inert gas
Yah exactly, but it's odd that 2 separate places have the same product at 100% helium.
I rember what was it 2000s ? 2010 ?
Australia / Canada there was a bunch and that's why somethings changed exit bags , gas etc , trying to see if I can find the law in Canada about it I thought we implemented some bullshit
That almost sounds too good to be true. And, supposedly, there is a helium shortage, so that may have contributed into adding air to it. IDK.
Yes exactly some helium shortage as well

Reactions: tera_forest
tera_forest

tera_forest

Mar 19, 2023
Adding onto what everyone is saying here, I am almost certain this is not what they are advertising. I'm pretty sure there was news some years ago about people using helium to commit suicide, so they started diluting it with enough air to make balloons float/other general purposes but ineffective when breathed in