momdontcryplease

momdontcryplease

Apr 15, 2023
Anyone thought of using a flintlock pistol? You don't need a license to buy em I think (at least where I'm from). I think you can buy blackpowder and shot too...

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Anyone thought of using a flintlock pistol? You don't need a license to buy em I think (at least where I'm from). I think you can buy blackpowder and shot too...
The OP talks about flintlocks.
I have considered using one, however would prefer a modern weapon. Gives me more confidence in its capability.

momdontcryplease

momdontcryplease

Apr 15, 2023
It's just that idk if I'd be allowed to get a gun license so flintlocks might be my only option

D

didn't-it-rain

Nov 5, 2022
Hi, I apologize if my questions have been answered... I don't have much energy to read through this entire thread. I hope that's okay.
- What's the most user-friendly gun? I am NOT very capable at most things and do not want to miss. I understand Mossbergs are generally recommended for these purposes, but I don't mind paying more to better ensure sweet sweet death.
- Related to that, how easy is it to hit the sweet spot? Is it easy to miss just by a hair? Does holding and pointing and shooting a gun take a lot of work?
- I understand many sellers at gun shows (of which there is one coming up this weekend) are private so they do not require background checks, is this true? Is it generally more complicated (or sketchy) to purchase from them?
- (Though I don't think a voluntary partial hospitalization program will flag me, is this true?)
- I read somewhere that if you try to buy from a store (or online) the background check can take up to 10 days. Is this true for sellers at gun shows? I thought I read somewhere that they can do instant checks... I would assume so based on the nature of the event
- In general, what should I expect at shows?
- Many of these shows will have dozens or even hundreds of stalls, how do I pick where to go?
- Will they quiz me (even just casually) and it becomes clear that I've never owned a gun and have no fucking idea what I'm doing - and if so, will that flag me as a suicide risk, or are these shows generally so pro-2nd amendment that they'll sell to me even if I don't seem like a gun person? Likewise, will my appearance set off alarms? I don't at all look like a Trump supporter (not that every gun owner is a conservative, I know there are anarchists for example who own guns, but the stereotype exists...) I don't know if it's enough to just memorize the type of gun I want. What do I say it's for? Hunting? What kinds of things should I be expected to answer and have knowledge about just in case?
- Given my anxiety over this (not to mention anxiety over large crowds), do you think it's easier to just purchase online or through ArmsList (though I'd think the latter would pose a lot of the same concerns as with the gun show for the benefit of being more instantaneous)? My concern with that is it may take a while...
Thanks.

LigottiSchopenhauer

LigottiSchopenhauer

Student
Jan 7, 2023
Hi, I apologize if my questions have been answered... I don't have much energy to read through this entire thread. I hope that's okay.
- What's the most user-friendly gun? I am NOT very capable at most things and do not want to miss. I understand Mossbergs are generally recommended for these purposes, but I don't mind paying more to better ensure sweet sweet death.
- Related to that, how easy is it to hit the sweet spot? Is it easy to miss just by a hair? Does holding and pointing and shooting a gun take a lot of work?
- I understand many sellers at gun shows (of which there is one coming up this weekend) are private so they do not require background checks, is this true? Is it generally more complicated (or sketchy) to purchase from them?
- (Though I don't think a voluntary partial hospitalization program will flag me, is this true?)
- I read somewhere that if you try to buy from a store (or online) the background check can take up to 10 days. Is this true for sellers at gun shows? I thought I read somewhere that they can do instant checks... I would assume so based on the nature of the event
- Many of these shows will have dozens or even hundreds of stalls, how do I pick where to go?
- Will they quiz me (even just casually) and it becomes clear that I've never owned a gun and have no fucking idea what I'm doing - and if so, will that flag me as a suicide risk, or are these shows generally so pro-2nd amendment that they'll sell to me even if I don't seem like a gun person? Likewise, will my appearance set off alarms? I don't at all look like a Trump supporter (not that every gun owner is a conservative, I know there are anarchists for example who own guns, but the stereotype exists...) I don't know if it's enough to just memorize the type of gun I want. What do I say it's for? Hunting? What kinds of things should I be expected to answer and have knowledge about just in case?
- Given my anxiety over this (not to mention anxiety over large crowds), do you think it's easier to just purchase online or through ArmsList (though I'd think the latter would pose a lot of the same concerns as with the gun show for the benefit of being more instantaneous)? My concern with that is it may take a while...
Thanks.
I ordered my gun online then drove to the store and picked it up after my background check had cleared. Simple as that. The check took about a week for me, but that could be different depending on where you live - in a lot of more rural areas, it's instantaneous. Nobody there quizzed me about why I wanted one or whether I had even used a gun before. Remember: gun sellers want your money and are extremely pro-2A. No one there is looking for a reason to not sell you a gun. In the unlikely event someone asks, just say you're looking to get into hunting or recreational shooting at a range as a hobby. Also, I had a voluntary mental health hospitalization 7 years ago and that didn't cause my background check to fail. You should study up on the gun laws of the state where you live, but I live in one of the most liberal and anti-gun states in America and I still acquired a gun without a hitch.

It's natural to be nervous about buying a gun if you've never done that before. I was nervous myself. But I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Love
Reactions: lifeisbutadream, melwarson and didn't-it-rain
leloyon

leloyon

Feb 4, 2023
Thanks.
Shotguns and handguns (I expect that you'll end up with one of those) are both common and in fact recommended for home defence.

• Love
Reactions: didn't-it-rain
C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
Hey there, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I'd post my questions to this megathread instead of creating my own.

First, I have two firearms that I could use to ctb: a 9mm pistol and a .30-06 rifle. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I'd rather use what I already have than buy a shotgun.

Second, if the rifle is the better choice, is there a type of ammo that would be best? I know with the pistol it would be best to use hollow point, but I don't know if there's an equivalent for rifles.

Thanks!
Wish I know, I'd try any gun I could find, but I live where its almost impossible to get. Personally, it seems a pistol would be easier to handle since you just have to position it correctly in your mouth. If you have access to guns more easily, can you tell me how to find one. Bank andall done

Reactions: nightshade00
leloyon

leloyon

Feb 4, 2023
Hey there, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I'd post my questions to this megathread instead of creating my own.

First, I have two firearms that I could use to ctb: a 9mm pistol and a .30-06 rifle. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I'd rather use what I already have than buy a shotgun.

Second, if the rifle is the better choice, is there a type of ammo that would be best? I know with the pistol it would be best to use hollow point, but I don't know if there's an equivalent for rifles.

Thanks!
The rifle would be harder to handle and aim, which are problems the pistol wouldn't have, however the pistol would be weaker. I sadly like in the EUSSR so I don't have hands-on experience with firearms, but maybe look up the kinds of rounds used for hunting with .30-06 if you can't find hollow points for them. I'm sure there's some manufacturer out there that's made and marketed bullets specifically for that task.

Reactions: nightshade00
poofart

poofart

Apr 28, 2023
Where on the head should someone aim to get the cleanest exit wound? I have a .50 rifle, and while I know the aftermath won't be pretty, I'd still prefer to not completely blow my skull to bits. Less traumatizing for whoever discovers it.

leloyon

leloyon

Feb 4, 2023
Where on the head should someone aim to get the cleanest exit wound? I have a .50 rifle, and while I know the aftermath won't be pretty, I'd still prefer to not completely blow my skull to bits. Less traumatizing for whoever discovers it.
…not sure if that's 50 BMG or a muzzleloader, but either way I doubt you could avoid blowing your skull to bits while still being successful.

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I am just here to make it 1000 posts

• Yay!
Reactions: SexyIncél
nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
The rifle would be harder to handle and aim, which are problems the pistol wouldn't have, however the pistol would be weaker. I sadly like in the EUSSR so I don't have hands-on experience with firearms, but maybe look up the kinds of rounds used for hunting with .30-06 if you can't find hollow points for them. I'm sure there's some manufacturer out there that's made and marketed bullets specifically for that task.
I did some research and you're right, there are rounds made specifically for hunting (they expand when they hit a target for more stopping power, sort of like a hollow point pistol round). Looks like they're pretty easy to get ahold of, at least here in the US. Thanks for the advice.
Wish I know, I'd try any gun I could find, but I live where its almost impossible to get. Personally, it seems a pistol would be easier to handle since you just have to position it correctly in your mouth. If you have access to guns more easily, can you tell me how to find one. Bank andall done
Not sure where you're from, but I live in a US state where getting a firearm is as easy as walking into a store and picking one out (and filling out a quick background check, which wasn't a problem and only took a couple minutes). One of my firearms was purchased in a sports/outdoors store and the other was a gift. Wish I could help more.

C

coolintheshade

Mar 13, 2023
Been reading this long thread. Who else is thinking of ctb'ing using shotguns? As of Oct 2022 the current govt banned all handguns due to increased violence and crime. The only available legal options are shotguns and semi-automatic with limited magazine load (5 rounds). Luckily I got my gun license over 7yrs ago, but didn't get a handgun before the ban.

I am looking at this shotgun https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3819/mossberg-maverick-88-3-12-gauge-pump-shotgun

Reactions: melwarson
leloyon

leloyon

Feb 4, 2023
Been reading this long thread. Who else is thinking of ctb'ing using shotguns? As of Oct 2022 the current govt banned all handguns due to increased violence and crime. The only available legal options are shotguns and semi-automatic with limited magazine load (5 rounds). Luckily I got my gun license over 7yrs ago, but didn't get a handgun before the ban.

I am looking at this shotgun https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3819/mossberg-maverick-88-3-12-gauge-pump-shotgun
The Maverick is recommended in the OP. From what I've seen, it seems to be a quality shotgun, especially for the price. That barrel seems a little long though, so you may have trouble pulling the trigger.

J

J Peace

May 14, 2023
Hi. Wondering what would be the ideal type of ammunition to buy to ctb with a shotgun?

S

Socrates Respecter

Apr 23, 2023
TL;DR the whole megathread

Is it a good idea to aim at the heart? Thank you.

loverfromhell

loverfromhell

i don’t wanna be here
May 1, 2023
TL;DR the whole megathread

Is it a good idea to aim at the heart? Thank you.
no no definitely not i think. i believe there is much larger survival rate as well as more pain, as a shot to the heart mostly likely isn't an instant death like a head shot is

Reactions: Socrates Respecter
L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
Most efficient way to CTB with a 9mm pistol? Not the quickest or least painful; the least likely to fail.

[I don't have access to a rifle or shotgun.]

Where should I aim (brainstem/temple/somewhere else)?

If there is a most efficient method, is it significantly more painful or time-taking than other ways that are almost as efficient? I'll still probably stick with the efficient one, but I'd prefer to be aware of the options.

LigottiSchopenhauer

LigottiSchopenhauer

Student
Jan 7, 2023
Most efficient way to CTB with a 9mm pistol? Not the quickest or least painful; the least likely to fail.

[I don't have access to a rifle or shotgun.]

Where should I aim (brainstem/temple/somewhere else)?

If there is a most efficient method, is it significantly more painful or time-taking than other ways that are almost as efficient? I'll still probably stick with the efficient one, but I'd prefer to be aware of the options.
Through the mouth, with the gun centered and pointed slightly upward at a roughly 20 degree angle. This maximizes your chance of hitting the brainstem. 9mm can definitely do the job but if you have the money to buy a handgun of higher caliber, I'd recommend doing that. I prefer to take no chances with something that's literally a matter of life and death.

Reactions: yaldabaoth, pthnrdnojvsc, melwarson and 1 other person
M

melwarson

May 20, 2023
Through the mouth, with the gun centered and pointed slightly upward at a roughly 20 degree angle. This maximizes your chance of hitting the brainstem. 9mm can definitely do the job but if you have the money to buy a handgun of higher caliber, I'd recommend doing that. I prefer to take no chances with something that's literally a matter of life and death.
What about an AR .223? I read the recommendation for a shotgun but I've seen people shoot their faces off. Has anyone here watched some of the videos on gore websites to see the fails and the successes? Thank you.

regal20

regal20

Sep 19, 2022
Which area of the head is best to aim at if I don't want to put the barrel in my mouth? Behind the ear, over the ear, in front of the ear? Simply the center of the temple? At a slight angle or perpendicularly? Is something like this really survivable assuming you don't miss and the bullet penetrates the brain?

nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
Any input on location when ctb using a firearm? I was thinking about driving my car out to a park, to save my family from having to deal with the mess.

yeged93409

yeged93409

Sorry to take the easy way out
May 27, 2023
I have a cheap 12 gauge shotgun and some slug shells. I saw some pictures on the internet of people getting shot in the head with slugs and the results seem absolutely devastating. I don't wanna traumatize my family when they find my body. Should I choose a different method?
Edit: maybe birdshot won't be as devastating?

A

AnthonyDolohov

Jun 1, 2023
What about 5.45×39mm? Is it powerful enough? Unfortunately it's the only option here.

L

lifeisbutadream

Warlock
Oct 4, 2018
What about 5.45×39mm? Is it powerful enough? Unfortunately it's the only option here.

Yes. That is a very powerful military cartridge. Shotguns, however, are still the best.
I have a cheap 12 gauge shotgun and some slug shells. I saw some pictures on the internet of people getting shot in the head with slugs and the results seem absolutely devastating. I don't wanna traumatize my family when they find my body. Should I choose a different method?
Edit: maybe birdshot won't be as devastating?

Birdshot at point blank range would probably be even more devestating.
Which area of the head is best to aim at if I don't want to put the barrel in my mouth? Behind the ear, over the ear, in front of the ear? Simply the center of the temple? At a slight angle or perpendicularly? Is something like this really survivable assuming you don't miss and the bullet penetrates the brain?

The biggest advantage of the mouth method is that it makes last split second flinching or slipping much less likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and AnthonyDolohov
Козак

Козак

Jun 1, 2023
The only practical firearm I have access to is a AR-15, 20" barrel. I don't know the most effective way to CBT with it. Would like some advice

S

surewhynot

May 21, 2023
Is a .22 caliber too small? It's all I have access to. What would the success rates for that be?

leloyon

leloyon

Feb 4, 2023
I have some questions.
First, would wax slugs (birdshot encased in wax to create a slug) be more effective than plain birdshot?
Secondly, how short could a twelve gauge barrel be for it to be ineffective? Would a Serbu Super Shorty (six inch barrel) do the job just fine?
Both of these questions are hypothetical, I found myself wondering them just now.
The only practical firearm I have access to is a AR-15, 20" barrel. I don't know the most effective way to CBT with it. Would like some advice
I'm not sure if you're able to reach the trigger but it's recommended with any gun to stick it in your mouth and aim a little upwards to hit the brainstem, check the first page of the thread.
Is a .22 caliber too small? It's all I have access to. What would the success rates for that be?
It's doable, but definitely not recommended. You may survive or end up alive for several hours before succumbing to your wound.

Last edited:
Reactions: surewhynot