woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Whoa nelly. What I wrote was that I was unaware of any Buddhist WARS, not that I believed all Buddhists are overflowing with compassion with every living being. The situation in Myanmar has changed my mind about that. I am aware that it has been going on for a while.

@readytogo, I know you enjoy finding holes in my ideas, which is fine, but please bear in mind what I've stated instead of reprimanding me for things I didn't say, ok?

As for the Rohingas' treatment by the Buddhist majority in Myanmar: Right, I don't know everything about the history of religious persecution around the world. You seem to be making good progress toward expanding your knowledge. Good on you. Carry on.

Meanwhile, @woxihuanni, can you clarify what you mean by the link between Buddhism and the caste system? We (probably) all know Buddhism originated in India, so of course it was influenced by Hinduism and Indian social institutions, caste included. But you seem to mean something more than that, and I'd love to know what.

Without a religion that claims past lives exist, it is not possible to justify a caste system. Sure, there can be discrimination anyway such as downright racism, but it cannot be docily accepted by the victims as deserved.

The problem there is not oppression, it is the gaslighting.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Without a religion that claims past lives exist, it is not possible to justify a caste system. Sure, there can be discrimination anyway such as downright racism, but it cannot be docily accepted by the victims as deserved.

The problem there is not oppression, it is the gaslighting.

I see what you mean, without seeing a particular link with Buddhism. The caste system hiding behind race in the US probably does have religious stuff mixed in with its basis, but I don't think I can blame Buddhism for it.

But anyway! Thanks for replying, @woxihuanni.

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
@readytogo, I know you enjoy finding holes in my ideas, which is fine, but please bear in mind what I've stated instead of reprimanding me for things I didn't say, ok?

I'm not enjoying anything it was you who enjoyed the story and miracles of exodus and I found that wrong because parts of it involved the miraculous killing of the first born children. You tried to wash your hands of it by saying I only enjoyed parts of it which I find hypocritical, the whole is the sum of its parts, either you are with it or against it not in between it.

And by the way reread your post's you said wars and other horrible stuff, what happened with Rohinga was ethnic cleansing and genocide not a war.

Last edited:
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I see what you mean, without seeing a particular link with Buddhism. The caste system hiding behind race in the US probably does have religious stuff mixed in with its basis, but I don't think I can blame Buddhism for it.

But anyway! Thanks for replying, @woxihuanni.

You are welcome! It would be comparable if minorities in the US were happy with the racism because they believed they deserved it, and would come back as white next time if they be good. As it is, they don't seem very happy from this side of the ocean. Apparently very angry, these ungrateful people... :p

• Love
Reactions: Soul
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
I'm not enjoying anything it was you who enjoyed the story and miracles of exodus and I found that wrong because parts of it involved the miraculous killing of the first born children. You tried to wash your hands of it by saying I only enjoyed parts of it which I find hypocritical, the whole is the sum of its parts, either you are with it or against it not in between it.

And by the way reread your post's you said wars and other horrible stuff, what happened with Rohinga was ethnic cleansing and genocide not a war.

@readytogo: ok, I'm a horrid hypocrite, a sillyist, washing my hands, enjoying stories instead of trying to force a whole religion on anyone, and lord knows what other dreadful errors that you are heroically pointing out and deriding me for, not because you enjoy doing that but for some other important reason, like Luther's inkwell. You win every argument before I even say anything, because you've never enjoyed any fantasy sci-fi that had any scenes of injustice in it. And whatever reason I have for losing my naivety over Buddhism is wrong and reprehensible, since you know better.

So @readytogo, I have a proposal: Would you put me on ignore, please? I'll do you the same courtesy. Go your gentle way.

Last edited:
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
why would they have been freed from slavery which they hated so much only to be allowed to have slaves themselves
I may be cynical, but contrary to uplifting myths about the positive effects of oppression and suffering such as increased empathy and awareness of the oppression of others, I believe that humans learn little from their own experiences. In the end they remain the same authoritarian, controlling, selfish narcissists they were in the beginning.

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
@readytogo: ok, I'm a horrid hypocrite, a sillyist, washing my hands, enjoying stories instead of trying to force a whole religion on anyone, and lord knows what other dreadful errors that you are heroically pointing out and deriding me for, not because you enjoy doing that but for some other important reason, like Luther's inkwell. You win every argument before I even say anything, because you've never enjoyed any fantasy sci-fi that had any scenes of injustice in it. And whatever reason I have for losing my naivety over Buddhism is wrong and reprehensible, since you know better.

So @readytogo, I have a proposal: Would you put me on ignore, please? I'll do you the same courtesy. Go your gentle way.
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

No need to be sorry; it's not about feelings being hurt. Will you put me on ignore, please and thank you? and I'll do the same.