• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
I stopped going to therapy because I realised I couldn't be honest. As soon as I worked out what the therapist wanted to hear, I said it. And then they liked me because they thought we were making progress. And I liked that they liked me, it made me feel good. So I kept on saying things to make them keep liking me.

The thing is, it was never true. I just said it to get a reaction that I liked. Maybe I'm doing it again now, typing this just for 'likes'.

I don't think I know how to be honest about how I feel. I don't think I even know how I feel. Does any of that make any kind of sense?

B

brokenengine

Dec 18, 2019
Yeah I get that. Like there are certain things I think and feel but I know they're the "wrong" ones. So I don't tell my therapist. And sometimes it's hard to know what I really feel and what other people want me to feel. For me it's kind of like the way I got teachers to like me by saying what they wanted to hear.

Reactions: LivingToLong
TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
No. No way. I can't.

If I were to be honest, I'd be involuntarily committed. If that were to happen, I'd find my job position being eliminated. Having to support a wife and children would be practically impossible.

Better to CTB and have them get life insurance.

domedune

domedune

the stars will aid my escape
Dec 18, 2019
I'm mostly honest. I don't talk about being pro-choice but other than that I'm truthful.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
i can relate 10000 percent. for me, it isn't about like honesty. i just can't open up to people and it's why therapy will never be an option for me. i hate the spotlight and attention on me and i hate talking about myself, which is where i'd resort to lying about how i feel and what not, rather than being open and truthful about how i really feel.

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
I can somewhat relate. I have been honest during every session with my psychiatrist, but there was a long time I couldn't give him what he wanted. I noticed that he got impatient and not happy with my progress. I felt like I should give him what he wanted, but I couldn't at that point. I have always had a struggle connecting with my feelings and expressing them. I decided for about a month ago that I have to get in touch with my feelings and try as hard as I can to express them, unless I will lose the most important psychiatrist I have met. It felt a little strange and artificial at the beginning, and I felt somewhat that I had to express emotions that he wanted me to say, but that I didn't truly feel in my core. However, over the sessions I can actually feel the emotions that I have expressed. I can feel anger. I can feel disgust. I can feel mixed emotions and not only beat myself up with feelings of shame, guilt and sadness. I think that he knew I had them in me, I just had to connect my head with my feelings. I can now speak freely about my emotions, and be honest about my darkest feelings and trauma history. I never thought that this would happen, and he gives me so much positive feedback about my real progress. It was so hard to be in the same place over so many weeks without making any progress, and I was so afraid that he would give me up, so I can relate to wanting to give what the therapist wants to hear. The difference is that I didn't do that, so I can't really relate to where you are now. I would suggest that you will start to be honest about the previous sessions, and that you have said certain things to please your therapist, but that you're not really at that stage yet.

I have always thought that I will never share my deepest and darkest thoughts with my psychiatrist, but now that I did, I feel so much relief. When I see back at my sessions, I know I always had a potential to feel and share what my psychiatrist wanted, but I was just so caught up in my own defence mechanisms that I coudn't let me feel all these emotions.

I wish you the best. I have for a long time struggled with "do I even feel anything?" and "I can't feel what my psychiatrist wants me to feel", but over the last month it has got way much better than I anticipated. And I feel that the positive feedback I'm getting is genuine.

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
Thank you Lotus, a very helpful post. I think you're right and I need to explore what it is that I feel, a good therapist will help me do that. They'll help me find my real feelings, they'll help me be honest.

Sometimes I think I say things just to incite a reaction, because at least a reaction is an emotion towards me. The reaction tells me that that person sees me. It's like I'm too insenstive to believe plain spoken words, I need something extra. Maybe I need "something extra" because I am insecure?

I once told my mother that I didn't like her very much. I was quite non-chalent about it, I wasn't angry with her or anything. I just said it and I don't know why. I was maybe 12.
If I were to be honest, I'd be involuntarily committed. If that were to happen, I'd find my job position being eliminated. Having to support a wife and children would be practically impossible.

Yeh, I get that - a difficult position to be in. For the therapist too I guess. The 'law' is an ass sometimes I reckon.

My therapist told me that if I was serious about CBT that they'd have to inform the health authorities. I didn't know what that'd mean, whether it meant right that instant, and I didn't want the session to end (because I like the attention) so I didn't mention it again. The rules stopped me talking about something inside me. That seems back to front.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lotus
AlexM

AlexM

To find the outer edge
Oct 31, 2019
Totally honest, even he puzzled by things I tell. First - I want get healthy, second - I pay for it. In this country I can not fear any repressions related with attempt CTB (that only thing I can't fear living here, LOL)

E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
I'm mostly honest, I withhold enough to not get myself sent to the hospital tho

Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
I wasn't 100% honest when it came to whether I'm suicidal or not. I'd always say I passively wanted to not exist, so I could express myself to some extent and not end up inpatient. But when it came to my story and struggles, I was pretty honest.

A

Anathema

Dec 2, 2019
Yes. Don't see the point in not being honest. I'm actually surprised I'm still allowed to live in my house!

T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I try to be as honest as I can. It took me a great many sessions and several therapists to be able to be to say how I really feel. I tried for so long to be a good little patient and to invent this fake character who is trying hard and getting better.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lotus
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm very honest with my therapist. The only thing I do not tell her is that I have a plan. But she knows I'm suicidal. I let her think I'm not a danger to myself, but I'm honest about everything else because if she doesn't know what's going on she can't possibly help me.