• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

A

alice-in-wonderland

Nov 20, 2020
How effective, in your experience, self care activities such CBTs, meditation, drinking more water etc. can be without understanding the root cause of anxiety, depression etc.?

I can personally see positive impact from things I listed can have in general - being present in the moment, feeling secure and being overall physically fit and healthy. However, having said that, I haven't proper practised any of those because of the episodes of anxiety and depression:
  1. I simply didn't want to extend my suffering by extending my life.
  2. Also I was afraid by doing those without resolving issues berried deep inside would be a ticking time bomb which would go off if I face "good enough" trigger.
I have been living in hell last 3 years. My life started getting better after I was triggered, triggered and triggered until I couldn't take it anymore and started building boundaries. Those trigger events helped to resurface trauma I experienced at a young age. I think this and supportive work environment made it possible for me to go into remission. I feel like now CBT techniques, meditation, yoga and water will definitely aid me in recovery after I connected the dots of my past (not all the dots, but still it is a progress).
I remember people being genuine when saying things like "be kinder to yourself", "take care of yourself", but at that moment there was no "self' to take care of, just an oozing mind or an empty shell.

For example, I have always been anxious about receiving IM messages. I felt the urge to reply instantly as if the world would collapse on itself if I didn't. I tried to understand why I am being so irrational. I started rationalising it by saying I don't want people to worry about me imagining me dead somewhere until I realised my family didn't really care (because people have tons of their own worries naturally).
Today I realised that actually it is my mom's rage from the past I might be subconsciously trying to defend myself by instantly replying. I think now treating anxiety triggered by IM can be more efficient after I found the root cause (I hope it is the actual root cause and not another rationalisation)

P.S. I am sorry for poor title, but at this moment I am not sure how to rephrase it better.

Last edited:
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
"I remember people being genuine when saying things like "be kinder to yourself", "take care of yourself", but at that moment there was no "self' to take care of, just an oozing mind or an empty shell."
Right? Yes this happens so much.

I'm glad you're figuring root causes out.