F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I find this interesting but I can't get my head around it. I'm guessing that's part of the trick though maybe- make it so hard to comprehend that it has to be true? Like magic.

I guess as a concept, I find it interesting but, I don't see how it proves anything- let alone the existence of a God. Maybe I'm missing something here but it does feel like it's just saying- 'because I can think of something- it must be true.' Because we've labelled God with the attribute of being perfect- the only way for them to live up to that description is to exist in the first place. It seems like backwards thinking to me. Like the dangerous way to solve crime- this person looks guilty- let's now try and twist the facts to prove it. In the words of Sherlock Holmes:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Lupgevif
ezraeil

ezraeil

selfish and weak
Nov 15, 2023
I like this definition of God: In the beginning was the word. And the word was with God. And the word was God.

I'm not sure what it means exactly but it sounds about right. I wouldn't expect to understand what it means, it's not for me to understand. And that's as it should be. I feel like it's almost within my grasp but not quite.

Who are we to say that God should be a nice guy or a loving God or perfect?

A few times I've been miraculously thrown a life jacket by someone or something. Out of the blue I've been rescued a few times and I assume God had a lot to do with that. Something cares about me, at least sometimes.
so ur saying that its okay for humans and other things to suffer like EVERY day? you understand the fact that humans get tortured and even worse things happen to them and your saying we dont get a choice in saying god should be a nice guy etc? i personally do not find it hard to understand if you have all the power you would still make any type of pain and misery in anyones life.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and thewalkingdread
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
I'd question the original postulate, "To be perfect God must exist, therefore He does". Since I'm not aware of anything which achieves perfection, why would I believe this state of existence is possible. It seems more to me that we live in a stare of universal atrophy and decay. It's all running down.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Lupgevif and thewalkingdread
thewalkingdread

thewalkingdread

Life is a pointless, undeserved, unnecessary pain.
Oct 30, 2023
I'd question the original postulate, "To be perfect God must exist, therefore He does". Since I'm not aware of anything which achieves perfection, why would I believe this state of existence is possible. It seems more to me that we live in a stare of universal atrophy and decay. It's all running down.
The ontological argument is, in essence, a kind of "Platonic reasoning"... It apeals to an idealistic, metaphysical, theory of "Forms", where formality is always a perfect construct... The perfect "existence".

This would be okay If It wasn't for the fact that this kind of reasoning usually makes a huge confusion between the existence of an Idea inside a brain and the existence of an actual physical object/entity. (It preys on the ambiguity and vagueness of the meaning of the word 'existence'...)

I can conceive and imagine a perfect tetrahedron, even try to draw it on a sheet of paper, with the help of some assumptions... That's one thing. Another thing is an actual Pyramid in Egypt, flawed and decaying over time...

The rational conclusion of the ontological argument, therefore, shouldn't be that God, the ultimate perfect being, exists because existence takes part in Perfection. It's the "contrary": If God exists, he's imperfect and subjected to all sorts of flaws — including getting drunk one day and impregnating a married virgin with his son.

Last edited:
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
I

ireallywasnttogopls

Oct 8, 2023
even if god is real, why would he make such a world? the common answer to that is "god gave us freedom" since he gave us freedom why would he give us evil aswell? common counter is also "thats how life/humans are" so ur telling me you have all the power in the world and you chose willingly to make a world in which humans and other beings suffer and some even worse than others and even still that has a counter "he didnt choose evil, humans did" that still is extremely dumb considering HE OR IT made humans and life, any argument made otherwise that he is a good being and actually "real" etc is actually extremely stupid in my opinion.
if there was not a sea of darkness how would we see and acknowledge the beauty of the stars? life can't be a fairytale

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, ezraeil and UnwillingSavior
UnwillingSavior

UnwillingSavior

Mr. Self Destruct
Nov 2, 2023
If there is a god it for sure isn't any of the ones described in major world religions. Regardless, whoever they are (if they exist) seem to be uncaring or primitive. This is the world they wanted and "gifted". To that, I say "no thanks", and when I ctb I think of it like giving the gift back. I voluntarily forfeit life and all of its pleasures and agony.

Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
There is literally nothing "perfect" in this universe. Why would there be this one, single, perfect thing called "god", then? What even is "perfect"?

ezraeil

ezraeil

selfish and weak
Nov 15, 2023
if there was not a sea of darkness how would we see and acknowledge the beauty of the stars? life can't be a fairytale
so ur saying people suffering and children suffering in such circumstances where they watch their parents and other people killed tortured etc is okay all of this sounds okay? they were just newborn babies which died without living every minute i think 17 children die (i heard im not sure) therefore personally i dont think even if god was real he would still care atleast abit about their pain and suffering just like he did back in the old times which are in the "holy books" again i personally see this as my perspective. i love that i heard urs