Should common citizens (non-criminals) be admitted to a psych ward if the govt. deems necessary ?

• Yes, for both voulantary and involuntary confinement 👍👍

• Yes for voluntary confinement and No for involuntary confinement 👍👎

• No for voluntary confinement and Yes for involuntary confinement 👎👍

• No for both voluntary and involuntary! 👎 👎

• Unsure 🤔

• Other (mention in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
No close that shit down even the voluntary ones will still keep you involuntarily if they think you´re too sick or suicidal

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: wren-briar and MeltingBrain
sorrowful

sorrowful

My exhaustion knows no end
Feb 13, 2023
Having just gotten out one, I would say no for involuntary and yes for voluntary. I believe you cannot force help upon a person, and having a bunch of people who do not want help put together can lead to more danger. I met some people there with similar issues to me regarding drugs. All of us went back to them as soon as we got discharged.

Sure, they could work if you want help and want to keep yourself/others safe. But, the state of some of these places currently is horrible, no one can get better in such conditions.

We should not imprison people for not wanting to exist in this world. It is tough to want to live in this place anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: MeltingBrain
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Not sure…I've never been in one so I don't know what it's like

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I've been in lots of them, and care has ranged from fair/good to absolute utter hell. However, even with good care, my insurance starts agitating for me to be discharged after 5 days. I've had treatment-resistant major depressive disorder since elementary school, back in the early 1980's. What kind of good is 5 days in the bin likely to do?

I'd much rather see changes "outside the walls" that would allow people with long-term disabilities to participate in society in a meaningful way. Making it easier to work and/or volunteer in ways that accommodate people with disabilities would help.

Yes, I'm aware that the Americans With Disabilities Act exists. You need to actually get a job before they'll make accommodations for you, though. In theory, the law says companies can't dismiss qualified applicants for disability-related reasons, but in reality, they're only required not to admit that's what they're doing. It's the will to care that's missing. I understand you can't legislate such a thing. We would need to change our rather shitty and exploitative employment culture. It's true that would require effort on the part of non-disabled citizens.* The mere fact that this very basic adherence to the social contract enrages some people entirely proves my point.

* Perhaps I should say citizens who aren't disabled YET. Most of us will get there sooner or later.

• Informative
Reactions: wren-briar and MeltingBrain
StalkedByDeath

StalkedByDeath

BPD; MDD; GAD
Sep 5, 2019
I'm pro-choice, but honestly, I do think they should exist. There are people that it can benefit in a moment of weakness, where they may want to kill themselves, they may even try to kill themselves, but can recover and find happiness. I say that because I've been there, and my suicidality runs even deeper than "moments of weakness".

If it weren't for being 302'd (several times), I would have never met my wife. I would have never experienced happiness for the first time since early childhood. I would have never went back to school, or had dreams of getting my PhD/starting a family, or finding true love.

Things went south... She left, and that's why I'm here... But that doesn't mean that will always happen. Some people may live a full fulfilling life after intervention. IMO suicide should be a last resort, not plan A, or even plan B. You've tried everything, and nothing has helped. If you aren't suicidal after being inpatient, that means you weren't in that "last resort" position. If you are still suicidal, you have every right to die.

Which brings me to my final point: There should be a limit to how long you can be forced into a psychiatric facility, maybe a month? Two weeks? Then whatever your decision should be, it should be left up to you to decide. No would should be forced to live indefinitely.

• Love
absolutelyyou

absolutelyyou

peaceful
Jul 26, 2023
I think they should exist for both. Involuntary can be beneficial in many ways I think still. Someone that is fine with an otherwise normal life and then has a sudden unexpected mental episode would benefit greatly from being taken in against their will as they would likely have no clue something is as wrong as it is. If mental health care was not such a mess worldwide really I think there would be a lot less stigma and pain around psych ward care and if along with that there were more peaceful methods people could use to end their life without threat of long term imprisonment I think there would be a little less need for involuntary but it would still serve an important roll in mental health care as not everyone is suffering for a lifetime, sometimes something just goes wrong in the brain and those people *deserve* that care even if they dont know they need it in the moment.