• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Just listening to Jonathan Haidt. He is arguing that phones started out as something that we used as a tool. It was there that we took out when we needed it for something. He then argues that it turned into something that we are connected to all the time. Companies can use this to notify and advertise to you and so it has gone from something we use to something that uses us.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
What kinda logic is this? Our phones aren't sentient (yet). Even if the companies are the ones playing us, it doesn't mean the phones themselves are the conductors of the "using us for personal gain" symphony. They are merely the instruments and tools of the trade for the master manipulators.

carac

carac

May 27, 2023
What kinda logic is this? Our phones aren't sentient (yet). Even if the companies are the ones playing us, it doesn't mean the phones themselves are the conductors of the "using us for personal gain" symphony. They are merely the instruments and tools of the trade for the master manipulators.
Yes I think that's what he means. that the phones are vessels that allow companies to use people for their own ends.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Phones are still the means. We use the phones for what we want/need to do, companies use the phones to collect our precious data and possible send us ads or call us for work ...

xinino

xinino

Anti humanist
Mar 31, 2024
We are cyborgs because we need technology to survive also modern men have more abilities and advantages than the primitive ones. Techno-capital is changing the conventional humanity stereotype and has already encompassed different aspects of contemporary life, but the big question is, is it a bad thing?

Reactions: sserafim
carac

carac

May 27, 2023
Also what do people think about these 3 rules for children?

No smart phones until the age of 11
No social media until the age of 16
No phones in school

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
Yes I think that's what he means. that the phones are vessels that allow companies to use people for their own ends.
The phone is just a medium.

Just like people used to advertise on the streets by shouting a century ago, it does not mean that the air (sound waves) controls people unless they submit to it.

It is like blocking corn for kids. Even if you restrict access to it at home, your kid will still go to your friend's house to watch it.

Redirecting energy towards more productive tasks seems like a better approach.

~~~
"Productive tasks" - the ones that the authority deems useful, hahaha

Reactions: sserafim
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019

No smart phones until the age of 11
No social media until the age of 16
No phones in school
Social media I think the minimum age is 13? Schools and parents generally are getting better with that, setting accounts to private and only accepting friend/follower requests from people they know. I get why 16 seems more appropriate but the cat's out of the bag on that one.

No smart phones until 11 is a great idea in theory but again difficult practically these days. If all your kid's friends have smart phones, they're not going to understand why they're not allowed.

I assume no phones in class is already the rule most places - and a few already don't allow them in school at all, although they tend to make the news still so are presumably exceptions. Depends if you see between classes as still being particularly harmful?