• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
Hello - I'm looking for some assistance with this site; settings and permissions.

I've been viewing from the outside for years and finally registered in October 2021 (I think that's the date for can't find the place that shows me when). But unfortunately, I choose a username I really want to change!

I've been wanting to post.. but first, I very very much wanting to change my username. In the info is says that I'm allowed to, nowhere does it say that it's not allowed, but in my settings there is no option for me to do it. In a post from s-s they said you can change your username ever 60 days, but … i've been a member for way longer than 60 days.

I understand I cannot send a PM to a moderator (or anyone) to ask this, (or other functions on this site) until I post publicly an unknown amount of times.

Through the contact button at the bottom of the page, within my account, I sent a message asking to change my username, but nobody has written me back.

I'm way past my comfort zone posting this (publicly), but as you see, there seems to be no other way to reach out to you all.

I'm sorry to ask this if the answer is right in fount of my face in the Rules & Info and in settings. I really have read through them all many times looking for a solution before I reached out and asked.

If anyone is inclined to assist me in resolving this, while in a PM instead of publicly, I'd appreciate it. But also, here, is there anyone open to assisting?

Are moderators reading this who have the ability to look into my account, who can assist me, please?

Thank you

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Your join date is below your avatar when you post.

To change your user name make sure you're using a desktop version of the site. You can do this on mobile but need to set it your browser to display sites in desktop format. Ir may be possible to change your name in mobile format but for the sake of this 'tutorial' we're going with desktop mode.

Once in desktop mode look to the top left corner of the page. There's a 'burger'. 3 lines stacked on top of each other.

Click that.

You are now looking at a sidebar menu. It has 4 icons at the top of it. You need to click the second from the left which looks like a generic portrait icon. It's next to the 'burger' clicked.

Click the generic portrait icon.

Now you're looking at a new set of profile related info in the sidebar.

Scroll down to 'Account details'

Click it.

In the new menu that opens you'll find the option to change various info on your profile. The first is the style and colour of your members title. The second is you username. Just look/scroll down if needed.

Last edited:
D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
In the new menu that opens you'll find the option to change various info on your profile. The first is the style and colour of your members title. The second is you username. Just look/scroll down if needed.
Thanks for responding, and with clear step by step instructions.

The date I joined is now known to me.

Unfortunately, I'm either not understanding or not seeing what you do.

I'm on the desktop version. I thought perhaps my browser is blocking it so I downloaded one without any changed security settings, but still no luck.

I'm following your instructions but all I see as an option under profile > then clicking on the edit button inside of the avatar is only an option to change the avatar.

In the main settings page I can go to account settings. In there I can change 'User name styling".

But next to Username: there's no edit options available.

Under Username is the option to change my email.

Scrolling down I have the option of adding other words that would sit under my username, called a 'custom title', but nowhere do I see the option to change the username itself. That's what I want to do.

Do I not, for some unknown reason, have access to the same settings as you do?

It may be too much to ask, or not even possible for your privacy, but if word descriptions aren't getting me there, would you be willing to share a screen shot of what you see in your settings? If you'd rather stay only words, I totally understand.

Thank you...

Reactions: houseofleaves
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
But next to Username: there's no edit options available.

Under Username is the option to change my email.

Scrolling down I have the option of adding other words that would sit under my username, called a 'custom title', but nowhere do I see the option to change the username itself. That's what I want to do.

Do I not, for some unknown reason, have access to the same settings as you do?
You are in the right place. There should be an option next to your 'username' there but as you suggested it may well be missing because you don't yet have access. You may need to post a bit or leave your account logged in to stack up a few hours online. Maybe both. You can spam the game threads or whatever to get post count up apparently. I would share a screenshot but my email is displayed in the same space so I prefer not to I'm sorry.
You could report your main post and leave a note for a mod to help you out.

Last edited:
D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
You are in the right place...
I very much appreciate your help and understand about the screenshot, no problem. Good to know I'm in the right place. Maybe you're correct that I need to have a certain amount of posts before that's an option for me (as well as other functions on this site). Nowhere in the Rules and Info etc. does it say this (about changing usernames) and I find it confusing and frustrating. It only says: You can change your username from your preferences. Spamming the game threads or whatever isn't my style, at all, and especially with the unknown fact it would assist in this.. but I suppose it's worth a try if I can pull it off. Ugh. I'm also logged in for long periods of time so that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hope a moderator sees this, and responds... for me and anyone else whose running into this.

And to you.. thanks again.

Last edited:
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Have you tred the reporting thing? It might get seen by a mod more quickly then.

Last edited:
D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
Have you tred the rwporting thing? It might get seen by a mod more quickly then.
The reporting button at the bottom of this post I think you mean. Wonder if that would make it seem there's a problem, with me - my account. I'll think about it, feeling concerned it would get their attention in the wrong way, banning instead responding.

Glad to someone to problem solve with me.

Last edited:
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
When you report you get a pop up asking you to explain why you reported. I think it's a bit of a multifunctional way of getting the attention of a mod but I get what you mean. If you never managed to get a response through other means and are unable to dm them your options are now pretty limited so it's not unreasonable. I guess it's that or post using you Current name for some time. It's not a bad username in all fairness.

D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
It's helpful to know what would happen when after I would press the report button; gives me that option with a little less fear of it's consequences, and yes I agree that considering everything it wouldn't be unreasonable. Even with knowing there's less risk than initially thought, at this point still feels odd for me. Maybe a mod will see this - Hello Moderator, do you see this thread?

You wrote 'not a bad username in all fairness'. I giggled with that and yeah, it's not a bad one. I'd rather choose another (when I come up with what that would be) but suppose since I'm stuck with it, for now, I'll continue with this one and try to get my number count up and hope it unlocks the permissions. Maybe also share in another post why I picked it in the first place; afterall I choose it for it seemed connected to my journey of not wanting to live.

(for integrity sake, I edited out a little bit, after the reply)

Last edited:
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
To be honest I feel you are over thinking things but a bit of caution can be beneficial. I also understand anxiety playing a part so no judgement here. I think you can stay vague about personal identifying details whilst still describing your case or whatever.

There is another way to get the attention of mods. You just use their name with @ at the start. The front page of the forum will show which mods are online at any given time. They receive a notification when you @ them. I would @ one of them in for you now but the only one I can remember that is relevant to this has just changed his name and I'm struggling to remember it haha. Ironically.

EDIT okay... I checked. His new user name is snake of eden.

Hey, @Snake of Eden could you help this member out with their name change? They have some anxiety about it. I picked you as we've spoken a few times. Hope it's cool. You can give me the dunce hat for a while and make me sit in the corner for being naughty if need be. :))

Last edited:
Reactions: houseofleaves
D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
I didn't know about getting the attention of someone by using @ at the start of their name. Thanks for telling me this, also for the @……… that you wrote in. Appreciate it.

So guess what @Smart No More, it could be one or some of the factors: through this post I have reached that unknown number count, your @…....., or my initial contact message was addressed, but now... my settings are unlocked and I can change my username! Plus other opts have opened like sending dm's.

And yes, I do sometimes overthink, the caution and anxiety you mentioned, yep... all of it. Thanks for your honesty, your lack of judgement, and again for your assistance with this all.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Problem solved then. Glad you got it sorted. I think there's a pretty low post count threshold for some features. More open up later on.
You can change your name now lol

C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
I didn't know about getting the attention of someone by using @ at the start of their name. Thanks for telling me this, also for the @……… that you wrote in. Appreciate it.

So guess what @Smart No More, it could be one or some of the factors: through this post I have reached that unknown number count, your @…....., or my initial contact message was addressed, but now... my settings are unlocked and I can change my username! Plus other opts have opened like sending dm's.

And yes, I do sometimes overthink, the caution and anxiety you mentioned, yep... all of it. Thanks for your honesty, your lack of judgement, and again for your assistance with this all.
My page looks nothing like Smart described at the top (except the 'burger' in the top left), but glad you found the name change place. I have to wait until Feb 7 to change mine.

D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
Problem solved then. Glad you got it sorted. I think there's a pretty low post count threshold for some features. More open up later on.
You can change your name now lol
Yes problem solved! I've been checking that settings page for way too long, baffled, hoping it would just change on it's own. Now I need to decide on what the new one will be!

I didn't know even more features would open with more post counts, good to know. Wondering which ones?

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
My page looks nothing like Smart described at the top (except the 'burger' in the top left), but glad you found the name change place. I have to wait until Feb 7 to change mine.
Once you click the burger it will look as i described. :wink:
Yes problem solved! I've been checking that settings page for way too long, baffled, hoping it would just change on it's own. Now I need to decide on what the new one will be!

I didn't know even more features would open with more post counts, good to know. Wondering which ones?
There aren't many other features. I kept it vague because there's a reason they're not available at the start. You'll most likely know once you get access. There's nothing you'rw missing out on fwiw.

D

dissolve

Oct 3, 2021
I kept it vague because there's a reason they're not available at the start.
was wondering ... sort of figured ... appreciate the reply. :-)
Thx, glad also. 5 more days of waiting for you, right?

Last edited:
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
Once you click the burger it will look as i described. :wink:
You are now looking at a sidebar menu. It has 4 icons at the top of it. You need to click the second from the left which looks like a generic portrait icon.
It may look different on different machines. Once I click the burger, there are no icons.I get a vertical list down the left side that looks like this:
  • Forums
  • Rules & Info

• Tickets
  • Members

• Chat17

• Alerts
  • Settings
  • Light/Dark

A click on 'Settings' brings up the /account/preferences page, with the page now having the above list on the left sidebar, a 'Preferences' window in the middle, and an account window on the right with time settings, page style, and a bunch of checkboxes to receive emails and stuff like that. The Preferences section looks like this:

• Your account

Your profile
Alerts
Reactions received