ShadowOfTheDay

ShadowOfTheDay

Hungry Ghost
Feb 14, 2019
I'm seriously and intensively considering the tent/charcoal method. However, my great concern is that the tent I would use may be somewhat gas-permeable. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to spray the exterior of the tent with Flex Seal, or some other aerosol sealant. Am I grossly over thinking this shit? I just can't afford to fail again.

Reactions: marcusuk63
O

outhor

bus catcher
Mar 13, 2019
I'm seriously and intensively considering the tent/charcoal method. However, my great concern is that the tent I would use may be somewhat gas-permeable. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to spray the exterior of the tent with Flex Seal, or some other aerosol sealant. Am I grossly over thinking this shit? I just can't afford to fail again.
yes you are, just make shure you have about 1kg of charcoal that is no longer smoking and looks gray. Seal the tent as best as you can, make shure the head will not damage the tent. Just yesterday i read about a case of someone with the exhaust pipe connected with a hose, in the other side of the hose there was a plastic device connected with adhesive cellophane to a tent. And it worked.
"The victim moved the pressure washer onto a side deck passageway that was fully enclosed by plastic tarps. He used the pressure washer for about 20 minutes. A co-worker later found him unconscious. The medical examiner reported the cause of death as "carbon monoxide intoxication due to inhalation of engine exhaust." "
Source:

I think it is easy and reliable, the side effects might not be noticed due to cases reported

Last edited:
Reactions: thundersnail, marcusuk63 and ShadowOfTheDay

406metallicblue

Student
Sep 7, 2018
i just asked about this, but i found 2 cases about that, turns out generators produces a lot o CO.

"(c) non-vehicle CO sources, especially generators, can produce lethal levels if operated in an enclosed space. Those caring for potentially suicidal individuals should take these findings into consideration in their management. "
source:

"In the garage, near the victim there was a motorbike, with a running two stroke motor, and with the exhaust pipe con- nected with a hose. In the other side of the hose there was a plastic device connected with adhesive cellophane to a tent and inside the tent lied the victim. "
source:
requires token. search the text

i hope this helps.
Thanks for posting that link, which i just read and which explains many issues involved in choosing a ctb method with CO from a variety of sources. it looks like the generator maxed out their 1000ppm meter in 14 minutes. It was under no load and the output would have been more under load apparently. None of the other sources of CO come close the generator, in the 53m3 garage. They note also that the charcoal they burned resembled that of an old car with no catalytic converter and after 20 minutes was at 200ppm. It seems we might be able to divide the 53 by ten to get the size of an average car in m3 and so multiply the CO by ten in that space to get 2000ppm after 20 minutes. Did it say somewhere how much charcoal, i couldn't see it. Also intersting to note that 2 stroke engines are more efficient CO producers than 4 stroke.

I found the charcoal details.
In the garage while burning a pre-packaged amount of charcoal, designed for portability (2.3 pounds) and requiring that one only light the bag to ignite it (Kingsford BBQ Bag). The burning charcoal was not taken into the garage until the paper bag had burned away and the surfaces of most briquettes were ash-gray in color, with little visible smoke production. They reached 200ppm in 20 minutes in a 53m3 space, Again, extrapolating that into a 5m3 car gives you 2000ppm in 20minutes. Also tested was a gasoline-powered electrical generator with a 196 cc four-stroke engine (Champion, model 46535). It was operated at idle speed with no load.

Their burning of the charcoal was maybe not very efficient , as no chimney starter was used, but they make the point that there was no smoke production and the briquettes were ash gray, a common theme with this method. The practicality of dumping them into a bucket from a starter more easily that simply setting fire to a 2.3 pound bag of coals for your space. If you're in a tent or a car and not in a 50m3 garage, there needs to be more control than just setting fire to a bag of coals

Also, the generator was 4 stroke at 196cc, which i found to equate to about 2700 watts in several commercial models, they make the point that 2 stroke is more efficient at producing CO, but those i have seen tend to only go up to 1000 watts, i think i'd stick to to the 4 stroke 2700 watts, which remember maxed out their 1000ppm meter after 14 minutes in a 53m3 garage. In 27m3 bathroom that's 1000ppm in 7 minutes, in a 5m3 car 1000ppm in 1.4 minutes.

I'm still stuck with the choice between charcoal and generator for various reasons. Generators are bloody noisy but they have the potential to make things look like an accident and seem to be significantly more lethal than any other method from this series of tests. Charcoal gives rise to nice thoughts of easing away quietly with a little music and drifting off, but taking longer. Each as it's pros and cons

Good stuff, thanks again. How do you you feel about method given all this information?

Last edited:
Reactions: thundersnail, Soul and ShadowOfTheDay
O

outhor

bus catcher
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for posting that link, which i just read and which explains many issues involved in choosing a ctb method with CO from a variety of sources. it looks like the generator maxed out their 1000ppm meter in 14 minutes. It was under no load and the output would have been more under load apparently. None of the other sources of CO come close the generator, in the 53m3 garage. They note also that the charcoal they burned resembled that of an old car with no catalytic converter and after 20 minutes was at 200ppm. It seems we might be able to divide the 53 by ten to get the size of an average car in m3 and so multiply the CO by ten in that space to get 2000ppm after 20 minutes. Did it say somewhere how much charcoal, i couldn't see it. Also intersting to note that 2 stroke engines are more efficient CO producers than 4 stroke.

I found the charcoal details.
In the garage while burning a pre-packaged amount of charcoal, designed for portability (2.3 pounds) and requiring that one only light the bag to ignite it (Kingsford BBQ Bag). The burning charcoal was not taken into the garage until the paper bag had burned away and the surfaces of most briquettes were ash-gray in color, with little visible smoke production. They reached 200ppm in 20 minutes in a 53m3 space, Again, extrapolating that into a 5m3 car gives you 2000ppm in 20minutes. Also tested was a gasoline-powered electrical generator with a 196 cc four-stroke engine (Champion, model 46535). It was operated at idle speed with no load.

Their burning of the charcoal was maybe not very efficient , as no chimney starter was used, but they make the point that there was no smoke production and the briquettes were ash gray, a common theme with this method. The practicality of dumping them into a bucket from a starter more easily that simply setting fire to a 2.3 pound bag of coals for your space. If you're in a tent or a car and not in a 50m3 garage, there needs to be more control than just setting fire to a bag of coals

Also, the generator was 4 stroke at 196cc, which i found to equate to about 2700 watts in several commercial models, they make the point that 2 stroke is more efficient at producing CO, but those i have seen tend to only go up to 1000 watts, i think i'd stick to to the 4 stroke 2700 watts, which remember maxed out their 1000ppm meter after 14 minutes in a 53m3 garage. In 27m3 bathroom that's 1000ppm in 7 minutes, in a 5m3 car 1000ppm in 1.4 minutes.

I'm still stuck with the choice between charcoal and generator for various reasons. Generators are bloody noisy but they have the potential to make things look like an accident and seem to be significantly more lethal than any other method from this series of tests. Charcoal gives rise to nice thoughts of easing away quietly with a little music and drifting off, but taking longer. Each as it's pros and cons

Good stuff, thanks again. How do you you feel about method given all this information?
i want it to be fast and peacefully. Generators looks great, because i don't want to damage my brand new truck, and i can use a bathroom at the service area of my home that is about 18m³. so... maybe i will look better at the charcoal method to avoid noise to the neighbor and get found by police, might use 6kg of charcoal in a bucket.

D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I'd like to add some information I've recently found out.

First of all, people who have been curious about how jonghyun died with only one or two briquettes in a frying pan. Unfortunately I lost the source now, but believe there's a high likelihood he was using a lit yeontan and simply standing it on the frying pan. A yeontan is a large charcoal briquette used in asia which generally burns for a day, it has columns drilled throughout.

1200px-Japanese_Rentan.JPG

I'm curious and will be doing some research on suiciding with these, unfortunately it's a primarily asian thing so if anyone who is able to translate wants to work with me on this, please pm me and I'll work on getting some studies/info to you. Thanks.

Secondly was just some generic information on the production of CO and circumstances that increase the production of CO greatly.
When the end of a flame impinges on metal, the CO production is greatly increase (ie, when you place a metal pan onto a hob, even though it's still minuscule the CO production increases from basically zero to a notable quantity. Could this make it beneficial to use a metal grate or something similar above the flames when attempting this method? Perhaps some tests may be worthwhile
"Re-burn is the most deadly situation and is typically what contributes to the few bonafide CO fatalities that do occur. Re-burn happens when the flue does not work properly, is blocked or disconnected, or is being back-drafted by some other force like an attic or exhaust fan, or an open window during a windy day."

Reburn is when air that has already been burned by a flame is reburned, CO production massively increases as oxygen is longer being burned into carbon dioxide much less, and carbon dioxide already present in the air starts burning into carbon monoxide. This might answer some questions many of us have about ctb with a simple generator, gas appliance, gas lamps etc etc, from my understanding anything will work in a completely sealed area and it's just a matter of numbers and working out how much CO you can expect to be produced from small gas appliances and how many you may need. Once this testing is done with a few devices I think we could have a much more convenient CO method documented. I'll take a look at buying a cheap CO meter and see what I can do for you guys.
Many Japanese suicides use binchotan, a white or 'smokeless charcoal'. 90% carbon and pings like metal when hit together.

Reactions: thundersnail and Soul
maraexhausted

maraexhausted

Apr 1, 2019
How can I do this method living in an apartment? Someone can help me? i tried some times, but i had problems with the smoke.

maraexhausted

maraexhausted

Apr 1, 2019
can't you use a car? or buy a generator?
No, i don't have these options.
Coal only
Ok, thanks! So you lit the bbqs inside the room, I think that was the problem. There was probably a lot of smoke in the room and I wonder that you managed to stay in that room for long. I've read about ppl who had to break off within minutes because they couldn't stand the smoke.

What I read about is that you should light the bbq outside and wait for about 30-45 minutes so there's hardly any smoke anymore. Only then bring the bqq inside your room. The remaining coal will ideally still produce (odorless) CO for hours.

I thought about doing this at home. I would light the bbq while having a window open and waiting for said 30-45 mins. I have an electric bbq lighter and hope this will reduce smoke otherwise it would certainly draw attention because I live in an appartment complex.

That's why I consider a tent, too. But then it's more difficult to seal up properly and there's a danger of burning a hole into the tent.

Not sure yet what is the best option in my case.
I live in an apartment too, and think the same of you about having a window open and waiting for 30-45 mins, but i still had problems with the smoke. I tried 2 times and the smoke were insuportable because i was afraid off the neighbords realizes that i was trying

Last edited:
Reactions: thundersnail, Soul and thisnight
N

neveranyhope

Mar 27, 2019
You know what's interesting, because Republicans run this country, they have shut down regulators of consumer goods and there's a generator on the market known to kill people because of its CO emissions. I should just look into that. They want women all to die anyway if they're not going to pump out kids and my reproductive years are limited with no partner in sight.

Reactions: Username786 and Begemont
T

thisnight

Mar 18, 2019
I live in an apartment too, and think the same of you about having a window open and waiting for 30-45 mins, but i still had problems with the smoke. I tried 2 times and the smoke were insuportable because i was afraid off the neighbords realizes that i was trying
Yeah this is a big problem. Which kind of lighter did you use? I think smoke production is the highest in the beginning, when the coal is still relatively cool and not glowing. If you use some kind of chemical lighter, it smokes very much. An electric lighter reduces smoke, that is my plan. Another possibility is a blowtorch.

A

AfternoonApple

Apr 3, 2019
2 days ago I tried the charcoal grill method. I lit the grill, waited for the smoke to stop so it was just brurning coals, and then I covered the vent and fan in the bathroom after placing the grill in there. Instead of passing, I had a violent seizure causing a concussion, several parts of my body are numb, and I ended up tipping the grill over and spilling burning coals onto my head and my arm. I am now bedridden as I am constantly dizzy. This method did not work at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: thundersnail and Soul
O

outhor

bus catcher
Mar 13, 2019
2 days ago I tried the charcoal grill method. I lit the grill, waited for the smoke to stop so it was just brurning coals, and then I covered the vent and fan in the bathroom after placing the grill in there. Instead of passing, I had a violent seizure causing a concussion, several parts of my body are numb, and I ended up tipping the grill over and spilling burning coals onto my head and my arm. I am now bedridden as I am constantly dizzy. This method did not work at all.
i'm sorry this happend to you my friend, accidents may happen, this is why you need plan, take safe measures and use a proper amount of charcoal.

did you get any long term damage?

Reactions: thisnight
A

AfternoonApple

Apr 3, 2019
i'm sorry this happend to you my friend, accidents may happen, this is why you need plan, take safe measures and use a proper amount of charcoal.

did you get any long term damage?
I'm not sure if there is any long term yet. My body seems to be healing slightly. My concussion is still very bad.

S

Spiko

May 30, 2018

How much charcoal or grills do you have used?

T

thisnight

Mar 18, 2019
I'm also very sorry to hear this. It is posts like this which make me question the method altogether.

You must have terrible burns from the coal. I knew about the seizures as an effect of CO, that's why you need to make sure you can't reach the grill and spill it like what happened with you.

Any idea what might have gone wrong? Do you think you would have pulled it through if you hadn't spilled the grill?

A

AfternoonApple

Apr 3, 2019
I'm also very sorry to hear this. It is posts like this which make me question the method altogether.

You must have terrible burns from the coal. I knew about the seizures as an effect of CO, that's why you need to make sure you can't reach the grill and spill it like what happened with you.

Any idea what might have gone wrong? Do you think you would have pulled it through if you hadn't spilled the grill?
I'm almost wondering if I need a second grill. Maybe not enough CO was produced
How much charcoal or grills do you have used?
I used one grill and maybe 3.5-4lbs of charcoal in a very small bathroom

Reactions: Soul, outhor, Spiko and 1 other person
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
most of the users on the 8chan thread agreed at least a cheap meter is needed for preparation, I don't know why it isn't mentioned more often here. failure and/or brain damage is not cool

Reactions: thisnight and SMarie1204
A

AfternoonApple

Apr 3, 2019
most of the users on the 8chan thread agreed at least a cheap meter is needed for preparation, I don't know why it isn't mentioned more often here. failure and/or brain damage is not cool
Yea I'm going to have to look into a meter.

D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I just failed my attempt.

I put the generator in the bathroom, put some towels around the vents and alongside the door. I started the generator and started the timer on my phone. The CO meter recorded a steady increase to 200 ppm, which took about 6-7 minutes to achieve, after which the ppm starting slowly dropping. I doubt this will work in a car given these results, so I guess I give up on this method. It is also very loud, thankfully didnt attract neighbours.

Very dissapointed to type this out. I think I might just risk it and order nembutal from A. Don't know what else to do at this point.
Failure: Carb compliant generator...https://www.chainsawjournal.com/carb-compliant/

Reactions: SMarie1204
S

Spiko

May 30, 2018

What do you mean with "at least a cheap meter is needed for preparation" ?

O

outhor

bus catcher
Mar 13, 2019
Reactions: whatever1111
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
it works, but it is hard to fit inside a small room, i don't know, if you tip it over, the charcoal might burn you
of course, but the part about CO production is worrying me more. tnx for your advice

B

bluesleep

Apr 1, 2019
Would locking myself in a room and sealing all the air exits and then burning a lot of stuff work? Would the smoke inhalation be enough to kill me?

O

outhor

bus catcher
Mar 13, 2019
Would locking myself in a room and sealing all the air exits and then burning a lot of stuff work? Would the smoke inhalation be enough to kill me?
there will be a lot o CO2 that will make you panic, you will not stay in the room, the smoke also will make you leave the room. The CO have no smell and no color. you will not notice it

T

thisnight

Mar 18, 2019
Smoke contains several kinds of chemical compounds including different sulfur oxides which will make it very uncomfortable to stay in the room.

Reactions: thundersnail and outhor
K

Kxe

Apr 6, 2019
Ive been browsing the forums for quite some time before my registration was accepted.

This method in particular is the one I have accepted and I've orded a chimney starter & coal online as I feel uneasy going to any shop knowing my intentions. I just have to catch the delivery as I don't live alone.

I cant get my head around the timing on when to get in the car when the coal is ready and to take anything too. I live in the UK if it helps and I have no meds precribed.

Thank you in advance

R

r0_

Apr 3, 2019
the airbnb im planning to do it at has a small bathroom with a bathtub i was thinking putting the grills in the tub so i cant knock them over. its ironic how many people die this way by accident or intentionally but w/o much prep, yet here we are planning every little detail and failing.

Reactions: SamTam33, Soul, thisnight and 2 others
D

DeepSleep

Student
Aug 8, 2018
its ironic how many people die this way by accident or intentionally but w/o much prep, yet here we are planning every little detail and failing.

if you do it without too much prep, it will work too ...

• Yay!
Reactions: whatever1111
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
the airbnb im planning to do it at has a small bathroom with a bathtub i was thinking putting the grills in the tub so i cant knock them over. its ironic how many people die this way by accident or intentionally but w/o much prep, yet here we are planning every little detail and failing.
I dont think its difficult to do this method, but failing is a scary option.. as if killing myself maybe doesnt have to be looked upon as a destructive thing to do, but taking a conscious risk of damage to your brain surely is. certain death is almost a philosophical matter, a lousy attempt is risky behaviour, or desperation, or impulse