• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

A

ashwin

Feb 19, 2020
The maximum test level showing in my kit is 5mg/L. So does that means my kit has the ability to test 5 mg of sn mixed in 1 liter of water only and will it give fake results if i mix more sn like 10g in 1 liter of water or so on.

MiseryLovesMyCompany

MiseryLovesMyCompany

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
That is right. Not neccesarily fake but it cannot detect more than that so the only thing you'll know is that there is at least 5mg of SN in the water if you put in more.

Reactions: ashwin
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
If you want to test for higher concentrations you need to dilute your sample.
E.g. if you want to test for 20mg/L you add 15ml of water to your 5ml sample., and multiply the result by 4. Your margin of error gets bigger by the same factor.

A

ashwin

Feb 19, 2020
That is right. Not neccesarily fake but it cannot detect more than that so the only thing you'll know is that there is at least 5mg of SN in the water if you put in more.
Thanks for the reply..i tested by mixing 5g with 1ltr of water and result is showing 0 mg/l. The highest rate in the kit is 5 mg/l. So this does not mean my sn is of bad quality, right ?. i am not sure how to take 5mg. my scale counts from 1g only.

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
What test are you using?
Just thinking of it now, (I have aquarium tests at home) I've never come across a Sodium Nitrite kit in the aquarium trade.
Your Nitrite test kit would not detect it.
Nitrite is NH2 , sodium nitrite is NaNO2

A

ashwin

Feb 19, 2020
What test are you using?
Just thinking of it now, (I have aquarium tests at home) I've never come across a Sodium Nitrite kit in the aquarium trade.
Your Nitrite test kit would not detect it.
Nitrite is NH2 , sodium nitrite is NaNO2
Its written- Nitrite Test Kit (NO2) - in the test kit.. the word sodium nitrite is not written.. Is sodium nitrite and nitrite different ?

MiseryLovesMyCompany

MiseryLovesMyCompany

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
Is sodium nitrite and nitrite different ?
Sodium nitrite (NaNO2) contains nitrite (NO2), as you can see from the chemical formula.
Thanks for the reply..i tested by mixing 5g with 1ltr of water and result is showing 0 mg/l. The highest rate in the kit is 5 mg/l. So this does not mean my sn is of bad quality, right ?. i am not sure how to take 5mg. my scale counts from 1g only.
It would mean that what you have is not SN, though I am not convinced that it is the case. I am not sure what went wrong. I was always bad at Chemistry (*sad flashbacks*) so I don't think that I can be of help with this.
If your scale measures grams, then it has an error margin of +-1g, which is too high for this test, but good enough for the actual use.

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
[QUOTE=" Is sodium nitrite and nitrite different ?
[/QUOTE]
Yes.
Nitrite and sodium nitrite are not the same, and while NaNO2 (Sodium Nitrite) does contain NO2 (Nitrite) they are not the same and have quite different properties
Any (aquarium) test kit looking for nitrite will not detect sodium nitrite, no matter how high the sodium nitrite concentration. The nitrite molecule is bound to the sodium atom and will not react with the test indicator.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
So can someone give the name of the test kit people can use to test SN?

S

Sir_nihilist

Sep 26, 2020
[QUOTE=" Is sodium nitrite and nitrite different ?
Yes.
Nitrite and sodium nitrite are not the same, and while NaNO2 (Sodium Nitrite) does contain NO2 (Nitrite) they are not the same and have quite different properties
Any (aquarium) test kit looking for nitrite will not detect sodium nitrite, no matter how high the sodium nitrite concentration. The nitrite molecule is bound to the sodium atom and will not react with the test indicator.
[/QUOTE]
So how should we test sn?

B

Blurred_Reality

Sep 8, 2020
Can anyone help with this? The test tube is 5ml so how much SN is needed to dissolve into the water?