• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

RealLifeTamagotchi

RealLifeTamagotchi

memento mori
Dec 15, 2019
I am a nursing student, and I am currently suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. I am nearly at the end of my 3rd year clinical rotations(8 weeks) but I had a mental breakdown during my 7th week at a psychiatric ward...so I had to take a day off. My professor advised me to NOT share my personal feelings about suicide/self harm/death/etc. So I had to ask my mates to tell the inpatients that I had a bad case of fever if they asked anything.

So I am confronting my last week of clinical rotations in the psychiatric ward...but the problem is, since I missed a day in my 7th week, if I miss one more day then I would have to repeat my whole year. Absurd. I must NOT have any mental breakdown, never attempt suicide, never self harm, never cry in front of other people during next week. Even though I am in a psychiatric ward, showing any sign of depression would not be accepted because I am a student nurse, not a patient. So sad.

Any advice on staying strong when the environment is depressing? I really have to keep myself from being triggered...

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
All I've got is a woo woo acronym spirituality thing .
But it's been helping me a bit .

I've been spamming the board ( well it feels like that ) with this stuff and it's a bit embarrassing.
I don't follow the philosophy to the core , because it posits a core 'goodness' at the heart of life
which my personal experience doesn't support .

That being said , I am able to entertain the idea of IMAGINING goodness as a positive process.

All it amounts to is taking a moment ... a few seconds , when you are triggered ,to process what is going on . The clincher is to not identify with the experience .

We can get trapped in a cycle that seems real because we are creating it .
I catastrophised and promised myself suicide for decades .

Sure , these mindful processes take time , but if you haven't already , maybe just seeing it as an option
might help . I've been depressed all my life and I haven't figured it out yet , but this woo woo meditation stuff seems like it is a good possibility . I can't see it doing much harm . I just say to myself that I am treating myself with loving kindness ( even though I never have , and it's a form of self brainwashing , trying to construct a love for myself I never formed as a child .)

I'm no true practicer by a long way , but even my partial daliance with it does seem to help .

You are in an ironically tough position .
I hope you get through this , not just for you , but for your future patients.

I can tell you , and I wouldn't be the only one here , there is nothing worse than a smiling all the time
positive sparkler who regards one's inner hell as some kind of pathetic fantasy , or worse , that one
is 'making it up ' because they have never experienced anything like it .

Sorry if that was to off the wall ... hopefully someone else may have some ideas on how to deal with triggers .

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I don't know if this makes any sense or help you in any way, but try to forget yourself. I'm a teacher and work with teenagers who struggle with very difficult social and psychological problems, and some of them are suicidal. When I work with these suffering teenagers I forget myself and my problems and focus entirely on them and their problems. I'm there for the pupils and you're there for the patients, so that should be our main focus.

R

realjunes

Warlock
Oct 1, 2019
I am a nursing student, and I am currently suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. I am nearly at the end of my 3rd year clinical rotations(8 weeks) but I had a mental breakdown during my 7th week at a psychiatric ward...so I had to take a day off. My professor advised me to NOT share my personal feelings about suicide/self harm/death/etc. So I had to ask my mates to tell the inpatients that I had a bad case of fever if they asked anything.

So I am confronting my last week of clinical rotations in the psychiatric ward...but the problem is, since I missed a day in my 7th week, if I miss one more day then I would have to repeat my whole year. Absurd. I must NOT have any mental breakdown, never attempt suicide, never self harm, never cry in front of other people during next week. Even though I am in a psychiatric ward, showing any sign of depression would not be accepted because I am a student nurse, not a patient. So sad.

Any advice on staying strong when the environment is depressing? I really have to keep myself from being triggered...

RealLife,
First, welcome to the forum, it sounds to me as if you definitely found the right place for you at the exact right time. The above members have given excellent suggestions, and I don't think I could add to that.

The ONE thing I can comment on is that in my life I have attended years of schools where if I messed up with non-attendance, even when absolutely no fault of my own, as is your case, I also faced the real possibility of losing my place in the class. I would have to start over with a new application process to get re-admitted, and that would mean another year or more with the associated expenses, lack of income, and the possibility of not even being accepted the second time.

In one class, I had to decide, within a week, whether to power through or drop the class and try to pick it up the next year.
I decided to get through that next week not knowing if I was capable. But I was able to do that and avoided the unimaginable requirement of starting over. Now, I want to be clear, my circumstances were mundane and not near what you are going through, all I would have lost was another year of my life, you face much more difficult issues, along with the massive anxiety you feel now.

All I can say to you is on this side of the decisions you make, a day feels like a month and a week feels like a year. Using suggestions here, and/or using your own instincts, your obvious willingness and ability to sacrifice for your ultimate wonderful goal of obtaining your degree, you have to ignore the fear of getting through a week, and use the strength and perseverance you clearly possess, to set your sights on your end goal.
I am grateful to and impressed with your professors' advice to not talk about this with anyone. This is critical at this point.
Just another week, you had already resolved to not show or talk about depression and its signs, and as unfair as it is, you are practiced at concealing this. Just another week!
I am also excited that if you can get through this that the medical profession will gain a practitioner who has real life, experience and insight into the conditions that plague so many. I fully expect you will become an excellent professional who will look back at this week, and be able to apply this hard-earned wisdom and use that and your skills to help others who suffer.

From a very real place of empathy, I will keep you in my heart and mind and well wishes, and my virtual fingers crossed for you. I hope you can report to us how it works for you.

First, welcome to the forum, it sounds to me as if you definitely found the right place for you at the exact right time. The SS members have given excellent suggestions, and I don't think I could add to that.

The ONE thing I can comment on is that in my life I have attended years of schools where if I messed up with non-attendance, even when absolutely no fault of my own, as is your case, I also faced the real possibility of losing my place in the class. I would have to start over with a new application process to get re-admitted, and that would mean another year or more with the associated expenses, lack of income, and the possibility of not even being accepted the second time.

In one class, I had to decide, within a week, whether to power through or drop the class and try to pick it up the next year.
I decided to get through that next week not knowing if I was capable. But I was able to do that and avoided the unimaginable requirement of starting over. Now, I want to be clear, my circumstances were mundane and not near what you are going through, all I would have lost was another year of my life, you face much more difficult issues, along with the massive anxiety you feel now.

All I can say to you is on this side of the decisions you make, a day feels like a month and a week feels like a year. Using suggestions here, and/or using your own instincts, your obvious willingness and ability to sacrifice for your ultimate wonderful goal of obtaining your degree, you have to ignore the fear of getting through a week, and use the strength and perseverance you clearly possess, to set your sights on your end goal.

I am grateful to and impressed with your professors' advice to not talk about this with anyone. This is critical at this point.
Just another week, you had already resolved to not show or talk about depression and its signs, and as unfair as it is, you are practiced at concealing this. Just another week!

I am also excited that if you can get through this that the medical profession will gain a practitioner who has real-life, experience and insight into the conditions that plague so many. I fully expect you will become an excellent professional who will look back at this week, and be able to apply this hard-earned wisdom and use that and your skills to help others who suffer.

From a very real place of empathy, I will keep you in my heart and mind and well wishes, and my virtual fingers crossed for you. I hope you can report to us how it works for you.

** I AM HAVING A PROBLEM POSTING, I HOPE I DID TO POST MORE THAN ONCE, I APOLIGIZE IF SO**

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Welcome!
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was a student nurse, and had to get through some really difficult clinical rotations. This was in the 1980's, so the instructors were the problem, but I feel your pain.
In order to get through the tough days, I would make a list I called:
"Things I know I can do at Clinical Today "
Then I would write down things that I could do to get through the day.
I carried it in my pocket and it involved the areas I was struggling with. Just knowing it was there helped.
I have a few more things, but our curriculum didn't have a Psych rotation, so pm me if you want. You get pm privileges after posting a few times and 24 hours here.
Sending kind thoughts

R

realjunes

Warlock
Oct 1, 2019
Welcome!
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was a student nurse, and had to get through some really difficult clinical rotations. This was in the 1980's, so the instructors were the problem, but I feel your pain.
In order to get through the tough days, I would make a list I called:
"Things I know I can do at Clinical Today "
Then I would write down things that I could do to get through the day.
I carried it in my pocket and it involved the areas I was struggling with. Just knowing it was there helped.
I have a few more things, but our curriculum didn't have a Psych rotation, so pm me if you want. You get pm privileges after posting a few times and 24 hours here.
Sending kind thoughts

Thank you for giving our new nurse friend an actual relevant experience you lived, that is right on point, and a proven method of getting through the day for him/her.

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Breathe, it is OK to get upset. Tell yourself that you are strong, and you can get through it. Positive self talk. If it gets too much, dismiss yourself to the restroom and take a moment. You can do it... I believe in you!
When I was a student nurse, some of us had to cry in the janitor closet because the other students had gotten to the bathrooms for their emotional moments first:) You are not alone!

Last edited:
purplemoon

purplemoon

I Have the Light Inside, Surrounded by Darkness
Sep 22, 2019

That would be difficult, when I see people that are sad, it reminds me of what I have been through.

That would be challenging for anyone with even a molecule of empathy, but since you need to graduate, and possibly things could get better for you in life, I would humbly suggest the following for you:

Fake it until you make it
(say inside your mind)

Distract yourself (even if it's just for a minute or two)

Take all your feelings and pick a patient if you're allowed to and try to give them an encouraging look or a brief encouraging chat possibly (channel it into compassion)

They have no idea what's going on in your mind or your feelings if you don't say anything and you just don't show it.

Unless I'm really mad at someone, I cry fairly easily so I know it's really hard to hold back tears. I sympathize.

If it were me, I would try very hard to remind myself that if I can just do whatever it takes to graduate and become a nurse, I can actually help people and my life could get so much better.

Remind yourself: All I need to do is be extra strong for right now.

It sounds like you've come so far, you'll regret it forever if you don't find a way to make it through the final inning, so to speak.

Sending goodness your way, and hope it all works out for you.

Nurses can make such a difference to suffering people.

You can do it.

Last edited:
Science Is Scary

Science Is Scary

Evidence is the path to the truth. Maybe.
Oct 17, 2019
Which country are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Some countries may obligate employers and educational institutions to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities, which might include depression and suicidal thoughts. You may not necessarily have to repeat the year, even if it's the policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealLifeTamagotchi
purplemoon

purplemoon

I Have the Light Inside, Surrounded by Darkness
Sep 22, 2019
I would hesitate to tell them that you're depressed and suicidal, especially the suicidal part. even if you were just contemplating it on the surface but weren't completely serious, they're required to report it and it could affect your ability to stay in school or graduate possibly. Plus even though there is a discrimination or disability law on the books, doesn't mean they actually follow it except on paper.

I would personally not tell them anything, because it's more likely that the second you do that, they're going to start looking at you differently, and I just would not risk it. But that's just my opinion, it's up to you.

Also keep in mind if you tell them that you're suicidal, or even if it's a mere thought, they may question your ability to be a nurse, or depending on their policies with the school, they could even say you should go into a treatment center first before graduating or even postpone it possibly.

I just wouldn't say a word to them, but it's nice that the other person here was trying to help you. :-)

That's always refreshing & nice.