Would you have preferred tiger parenting?

• yes

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • no

Votes: 34 81.0%

• Total voters
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
for those of us who have no self-discipline whatsoever. Sometimes, I wish I was tiger-parented.

I wish I didn't waste my childhood daydreaming, watching animes and depressing about lack of friendship.

What a waste.

Edit: thread closed to the mean self-righteous, impulsive, over-sensitive type who throw slurs and can't tell a joke from a serious statement and who's favorite past-time is to confiscate intelligent's people free speech and distort it.

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Fragile, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
100%, I would have been completely badass if I my parents gave a single fuck about me becoming successful in any way.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Dr Iron Arc and aneurysm
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Not going to lie, I had a completely different idea of lessons an Asian-mom could teach me. Tiger parenting was not even on the radar...

• Yay!
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, Good4Nothing, GenesAndEnvironment and 1 other person
Into The Void

Into The Void

Student
Mar 10, 2021
Research shows that authorative parenting is the most successful out of all of the parenting styles.

• Love
  • Hmph!
Reactions: cyanol, Makko, aneurysm and 2 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Research shows that authorative parenting is the most successful out of all of the parenting styles.
Why are my parents so retarded? JUST READ A BOOK BEFORE YOU FUCK, GOD DAMN!

• Love
Reactions: aneurysm and summers
M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Why would anyone even suggest that tiger parenting is good?

I was tiger parented. (My family has no Asian heritage whatsoever.) Utmost obedience was expected at all times. Perfect grades were expected even for banal homework assignments. I was signed up for many lessons, such that I was lucky to have one free night a week. All other kids were pointed out as being better than me. All adults, even strangers, were believed over me no matter what. As a result, I had my first wish to die when I was 5, and I had my first CTB plan when I was 8 or 9.

I'd have given up a body part to be left alone as a child. If tiger parenting is good, then so is FixThe26.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: cyanol, jenny6391bubbles, demuic and 7 others
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
1. You almost certainly mean "authoritarian". "Authoritative parenting" is a nonsense phrase – it simply doesn't contain any meaning in conventional English.

2. What research? This claim sounds wildly implausible.

Reactions: cyanol and Dr Iron Arc
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
lack of discipline is the least of my problems, wouldn't have changed the way things turned out for me. I probably would've cracked sooner with more pressure on me as a child on top of everything else.

But I definitely think that this style of parenting is beneficial for some people, if it doesn't turn abusive of course. This generation has a lot of issues because of lax and uninvolved parents and participation trophies.

Reactions: cyanol, Cashewmilk, virginiawoolf and 5 others
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Why would anyone even suggest that tiger parenting is good?

I was tiger parented. (My family has no Asian heritage whatsoever.) Utmost obedience was expected at all times. Perfect grades were expected even for banal homework assignments. I was signed up for many lessons, such that I was lucky to have one free night a week. All other kids were pointed out as being better than me. All adults, even strangers, were believed over me no matter what. As a result, I had my first wish to die when I was 5, and I had my first CTB plan when I was 8 or 9.

I'd have given up a body part to be left alone as a child. If tiger parenting is good, then so is FixThe26.
I think relativism can apply here. It depends on the kid I guess. I deeply feel it'd have been beneficial to me in particular.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
We have to be careful though, this kind of education can easily result in obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.
There shoud be a third way between too authoritative and too liberal with regard to education.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I was tiger parented, not really by my mom but by my dad. You people saying you want this don't know how lucky you are to not have parents like this. My dad would literally beat me if I got anything less than 90 on any of my tests and whenever he caught me lying about my grades he would beat me harder. This may come as a fucking surprise, but you can't fix stupid just by punching it harder. My mom was more like a normal parent but if she had been exactly like my dad I likely would have killed myself even sooner. It got so bad one day that he when he caught me lying about why I was going to summer school for 10th grade biology (I told him everyone was failing when it was really only like a third of the class), he snapped so hard, I had bruises all over my body from the horse whip he used, a black eye, and he made me strip to my underwear, go knock on all my neighbor's houses, and tell them what a liar I was before forcing me to kneel in our backyard. Did I study harder? Not even in the slightest.

I think living under such an authoritative and abusive father just made me even worse off anyway because it gave me values that don't gel with the modern world meaning I'm also ideologically isolated from the few friends I have. If you're dumb enough to think you'll be more motivated to achieve great things just because your parents beat the shit out of you, think again. That motivation still has to come from within like with anything else. It's either there or it isn't.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Bahbah Blacksheep, jenny6391bubbles, GrumpyFrog and 18 others
Amumu

Amumu

Aug 29, 2020
I was tiger parented, not really by my mom but by my dad. You people saying you want this don't know how lucky you are to not have parents like this. My dad would literally beat me if I got anything less than 90 on any of my tests and whenever he caught me lying about my grades he would beat me harder. This may come as a fucking surprise, but you can't fix stupid just by punching it harder. My mom was more like a normal parent but if she had been exactly like my dad I likely would have killed myself even sooner. It got so bad one day that he when he caught me lying about why I was going to summer school for 10th grade biology (I told him everyone was failing when it was really only like a third of the class), he snapped so hard, I had bruises all over my body from the horse whip he used, a black eye, and he made me strip to my underwear, go knock on all my neighbor's houses, and tell them what a liar I was before forcing me to kneel in our backyard. Did I study harder? Not even in the slightest.

I think living under such an authoritative and abusive father just made me even worse off anyway because it gave me values that don't gel with the modern world meaning I'm also ideologically isolated from the few friends I have. If you're dumb enough to think you'll be more motivated to achieve great things just because your parents beat the shit out of you, think again. That motivation still has to come from within like with anything else. It's either there or it isn't.
Thanks for you post, I feel really sorry for you.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@Dr Iron Arc I hope you fuck your dad up before you ctb. Send him to the hospital.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog and Dr Iron Arc
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
Because the bulk of content here is "if only" bullshit. Same patterns of hopeless, static daydreaming about shit that didn't happen or won't happen.

Same reason why there's a million inane posts a la "Suicide by putting a walrus in a hot air balloon and goading it into jumping on me from 1000 feet? I really have my heart set on this, but I can't afford it. Why do marine biologists and balloon tour purveyors want us to suffer?!?!?!?"

As anyone with half a brain knows, "tiger parenting" raises a child that is helpless to make their own decisions. Authoritarian parenting breeds rebellion, and the person rebelling has no clue what to do, because they never had peace to develop a sense of themselves. So all they know is that they don't want to be told what to do. They don't know which battles to pick and why.

• Yay!
Reactions: BandAddict, AvaAdore, Symbiote and 3 others
Amumu

Amumu

Aug 29, 2020
Imo there is a difference between encouraging your kinds to perform well at school, ask them not to smoke, drink and take drugs, be careful with regard to their relationships with their friends, and being an authoritative asshole who can fuck up our mental health.

Reactions: BandAddict, AvaAdore, yeahwellso and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
@Dr Iron Arc I hope you fuck your dad up before you ctb. Send him to the hospital.
I think me murdering myself and blaming it on him will have to suffice. If I somehow recover, become successful, and no longer want to CTB, then I'm going to wait until he's senile and decrepit so I can just tell him how much none of that is thanks to him and that he will die sad and alone with all of his children hating him.

• Aww..
Reactions: aneurysm and summers
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
As anyone with half a brain knows, "tiger parenting" raises a child that is helpless to make their own decisions
I'm incapable of making my own decisions and I wasn't tigger parented... just had Muslim parents who expect a woman to be weak and dependent ;-; I have to fight this tendency every day.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BandAddict, lobster salad and summers
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
This thread is full of people that have no idea of what genetic predisposition to various personality traits is. Different shit works for different people, shocking much?

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, BandAddict, Symbiote and 4 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I'm incapable of making my own decisions and I wasn't tigger parented... just had Muslim parents who expect a woman to be weak and dependent ;-; I have to fight this tendency every day.
This is exactly why religion - all religions - need to be outlawed. It's just another form of control.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
Amumu

Amumu

Aug 29, 2020
This thread is full of people that have no idea of what genetic predisposition to various personality traits is. Different shit works for different people, shocking much?
I'm pretty drunk right now, forgive me pls

• Hugs
Reactions: Fragile and aneurysm
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'm pretty drunk right now, forgive me pls
someone gladiator GIF

• Aww..
Reactions: AvaAdore, Makko and Amumu
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I wish my dad had figured out that I had a genetic predisposition to be a stupid, cowardly, pathetic, worthless loser who'd get nowhere in life so why should he have even bothered?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BandAddict and Amumu
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
100%, I would have been completely badass if I my parents gave a single fuck about me becoming successful in any way.
No, you wouldn't. You're just destructively dreaming that you would. Setting up this completely imagined ideal of what could have been. You have no way of knowing, but it's a great way to ensure that no progress you make feels worthwhile.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019

This is heartbreaking, but a very valuable perspective on this topic. Some parents can be horrible and extremely authoritative.

I feel that if my father hadn't died when I was a child I would've lived through something similar, he was very abusive during the last decades of his life.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Amumu and Dr Iron Arc
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Only I can criticize my religion, go away nah! *partially joking*
As an atheist, I can criticize all religions. Check mate. :smiling:

• Love
Reactions: Cashewmilk and Good4Nothing
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
I wish my dad had figured out that I had a genetic predisposition to be a stupid loser who'd get nowhere in life so why should he have even bothered?
Go and get your genes evaluated in a genetic engineering reseach institute. Grab the attestation and apply for disability. Simple.
As an atheist, I can criticize all religions. Check mate. :smiling:
I can't be atheist for political reasons. I'm not specially for religion, I'm just against western-born ideology.

Also, isn't atheism an ideology and a political one (even tho it pretends otherwise).
Anyway nvm, I believe the world need both, atheists and religious for balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makko and GenesAndEnvironment