N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
For me it was a few days after I was discharged from hospital following my first overdose. I had to visit the outpatients psych unit and I was talking to the psychiatrist about why I felt suicidal and his response was "what about God?".

At the time I didn't think much about it because I was still quite groggy and severely depressed. Thinking about it since has filled me with such rage, like really, you want to talk about God.

Reactions: Nihilistnow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, MAIO and 11 others
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
While I was in the psych unit my very first visit to a psychiatric facility I kid you not, one of the psych nurses during a group activities told me to suck it up

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Mayfil and 4 others
N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
While I was in the psych unit my very first visit to a psychiatric facility I kid you not, one of the psych nurses during a group activities told me to suck it up

That's f**ked up. What did you say back?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and Iwant2sleepforever
L

leader-akiko

Jul 30, 2018
Psych ward nurse: 'This is a place for suicidals and drug addicts. They come here, watch TV, eat ice cream.'

Psych ward doctor:'You have to want to live.'

Paramedics while I'm in the middle of an epic panic attack that mimicked a stroke:'Open your eyes! Sign this form!'

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, throwaway123, lv-gras and 4 others
S

solacely

Apr 4, 2018
One time I saw a dentist and he said that my self harm scars on my arms looked like squirrels attacked me

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, user90872, 2211264 and 2 others
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
That always pisses me off.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, SamK and Caustic Cardinals
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Most humans are toxic even if they are related to "health". Makes me want to ctb more. I'd rather die than deal with those

Reactions: Nihilistnow, Lizzie S., RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 7 others
SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
This may seem good but really its bad
I was in the psych ward and i told a member of staff i wanted to end it so badly. she agreed she would stop the other nurses doing checks on me and let me go ahead with it. she prevented the other nurses doing the 15 minute checks, told them i wanted peace and they listened to her. i tried, but failed, but sure enough nobody came to do checks on me. I wrote a 15 page suicide note that they promised to give to my family. this was in a psych ward. i guess that member of staff was pro choice

now, i respected her letting me get on with it. but. for others who are mentally unwell and not thinking clearly, its a tiny bit messed up.
i never shared that with anybody but guess i have now :-)

i've had so many comments from health professionals. worse is what i've heard nurses say to others like

''you knew the rope would snap, you are overweight'' ...woman replied ''yeah, thats why i went and bought a steel chain to do it with instead''

then in a&e a dr shouted across to the nurses ''ahh for goodness sake there are people in here who are genuinely ill through no fault of their own he comes in takes tablets and expects us to be doing everything for him let him go home while we deal with the sick people''

i had a psychiatrist say ''its your choice if you want to die, you can leave now if you want, and go to the tracks''

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, 2211264 and 2 others
SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
First meeting with a psychiatrist, ever

Him ''may i ask why you have your nose pierced''

Me ''I think it looks nice''
Him ''was that a form of self harm for you, getting it pierced''

Me ''no...???''

Him ''okay. I think you have borderline personality disorder''

- Swear to god. that is an accurate script of what was said.

Reactions: Hunter, agreement, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 6 others
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
sɹɐǝ┴ ǝɹoW oN

Reactions: SamK
SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
Typical crisis team phone call.

Me ''hello..
Them ... hi, how can we help?
Me.. 'm suicidal
them - we know

Me.. I have a bottle of morphine and i'm seriously considering drinking the whole thing.

Them .. ''we know you feel bad, but remember what I said. It's about distractions. Have you had a bath, made a cup of tea?. You could cut up a magazine and make a collage, or listen to music.

Me ''i've been listening to abba all night, drank tea all day, don't care for tv, and i've had a bath. That's got nothing to do with it
them ''okay. what's worked in the past''

Me ''nothing. Last time i felt this bad i shouldn't have made it (was unconscious for days after taking enough to kill a horse)

Them.. ''ok, well, sam. I don't know what to suggest really. try and get some sleep. Do you have any PRN medication, take that, try sleep, and if you need to .. call us back later.

Me ... ok.
5min later .. I called back and told them thank you for your help, close my file, just drank the bottle of morphine. Please dont tell suicidal patients to watch disney, drink tea and get a wash.

Them ... shit themselves.... and i hope they learned from it in a sense that they should never underestimate a suicidal patient ever

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, MissLisa and 2 others
bigj75

bigj75

Sep 1, 2018
My psychiatrist told me having friends would help with my depression. Which they didn't. Also my nutritionist said there was no cure for my health symptoms.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and SamK
sky7

sky7

Student
Aug 21, 2018
Not psych related, but I accidentally injured myself with a hard-cover textbook once (corneal abrasion) and the PA said "so what are you studying that makes you think you are better than everybody else." I was like, what the crap. Then he asked nicely, so I told him I was studying nursing, and then he yelled down the hall, "Hey we have a nurse in here!" And I was like, what the crap for second time. The he looks at my file and says, "oh you have no health conditions except depression, but that's no big deal." No big deal, huh. I left very upset.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, mattwitt and 2 others
bigj75

bigj75

Sep 1, 2018
Not psych related, but I accidentally injured myself with a hard-cover textbook once (corneal abrasion) and the PA said "so what are you studying that makes you think you are better than everybody else." I was like, what the crap. Then he asked nicely, so I told him I was studying nursing, and then he yelled down the hall, "Hey we have a nurse in here!" And I was like, what the crap for second time. The he looks at my file and says, "oh you have no health conditions except depression, but that's no big deal." No big deal, huh. I left very upset.
wtf I would have hit him.

Reactions: Livetodie and SamK
ninaevol

ninaevol

Aug 2, 2018
I'm sorry that happened, what an ass. I'm currently in nursing as well btw. Just started nursing school.. it's ironic how we're in a profession that saves lives, yet we want to take our own.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and SamK
D

Dean

Sep 10, 2018
A psychiatrist called my a crybaby once when I was being involuntarily committed.

Reactions: Nihilistnow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and 6 others
sky7

sky7

Student
Aug 21, 2018
I'm sorry that happened, what an ass. I'm currently in nursing as well btw. Just started nursing school.. it's ironic how we're in a profession that saves lives, yet we want to take our own.
Thanks, and yes, the irony gets me almost every day. I don't practice nursing though. I tried being a nurse at my current facility and lasted 6 days, went back to being a tech because it was that bad.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and ninaevol
bigj75

bigj75

Sep 1, 2018
A psychiatrist called my a crybaby once when I was being involuntarily committed.
u38iM0X.gif

When did psychiatrist start belittling patients?

Reactions: Nihilistnow, Smilla and RM5998
sky7

sky7

Student
Aug 21, 2018
I don't get name-calling of people in severe emotional distress. Maybe they've just burnt-out but that's no excuse for such unprofessionalism

Reactions: Nihilistnow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 2 others
N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
Thanks for the responses guys. At least I know it's not just me who has come across some bad eggs.

These responses are almost comical in the sense that, you can't believe a health professional has actually said something so ignorant.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, leader-akiko and SamK
Clover

Clover

Experienced
Aug 23, 2018
I've had some horrible things said to me and a mental health nurse imitate my while having a panic attack and laughing.

Reactions: Nihilistnow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and 2 others
N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
I've had some horrible things said to me and a mental health nurse imitate my while having a panic attack and laughing.
Yeah some people should definitely give up their job and look for work elsewhere.

Reactions: SamK, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and 1 other person
RottingFlowerBrains

RottingFlowerBrains

Student
Sep 10, 2018
I went through something traumatic and I was in and out of hospital. I was in so much emotional and psychological pain. The woman suggested I was crying because I was tired.

No id just had my whole world ripped out from underneath me fucking slut

Reactions: Nihilistnow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 2 others
RottingFlowerBrains

RottingFlowerBrains

Student
Sep 10, 2018
I think I had every right to be that upset. I couldn't just sweep it under the fucking rug

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Living_Ghost, Nem and 1 other person
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
I believe it! Some psych nurses should be decapitated...and their family members forced to watch it in slow motion...repeatedly. Hope that isn't too harsh and sorry to hear of your experience. I still think they should be decapitated though.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains and SamK
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
Sorry to hear. I think deep down psychiatrists are good people...exactly 6 feet down to be precise.

Reactions: Smilla and 2211264
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
Sorry to hear that. That nurse would have trouble laughing if their jaw was wired shut...just saying.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
Yeah some people should definitely give up their job and look for work elsewhere.
Agreed. Like, they could inspect the inside of active volcanoes...

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains and Clover
MissLisa

MissLisa

Student
Sep 13, 2018
Typical crisis team phone call.

Me ''hello..
Them ... hi, how can we help?
Me.. 'm suicidal
them - we know

Me.. I have a bottle of morphine and i'm seriously considering drinking the whole thing.

Them .. ''we know you feel bad, but remember what I said. It's about distractions. Have you had a bath, made a cup of tea?. You could cut up a magazine and make a collage, or listen to music.

Me ''i've been listening to abba all night, drank tea all day, don't care for tv, and i've had a bath. That's got nothing to do with it
them ''okay. what's worked in the past''

Me ''nothing. Last time i felt this bad i shouldn't have made it (was unconscious for days after taking enough to kill a horse)

Them.. ''ok, well, sam. I don't know what to suggest really. try and get some sleep. Do you have any PRN medication, take that, try sleep, and if you need to .. call us back later.

Me ... ok.
5min later .. I called back and told them thank you for your help, close my file, just drank the bottle of morphine. Please dont tell suicidal patients to watch disney, drink tea and get a wash.

Them ... shit themselves.... and i hope they learned from it in a sense that they should never underestimate a suicidal patient ever
This!!!.... exactly this. Like a bath will help me stop feeling suicidal, or a walk. I hate the crisis team. I thought they couldn't all be like it but it seems they are. Once I was due to have them visit me, I rang and said please come sooner as I was in a very bad way. They said they couldn't so I asked to talk to someone over the phone. They said no because they haven't done their assessment yet. It was at that moment that I lost all faith in them. I have had their involvement a few times too. Not anymore, anything helps more than they do. I find perfecting my plan calms me down.

Reactions: SamK, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and RottingFlowerBrains