• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

alexlynn74

alexlynn74

Mar 20, 2024
why wouldn't drying from electrocution actually work? I've seen stuff in the news where merely dropping a broken extension cord kills.

If I were to salt the water making it more conductive, by pass any GFCI outlet, and drop in multiple electronics from different plug, why wouldn't it work?

Reactions: davidtorez
C

cursedbynature64

Feb 23, 2024
I think you'd be far more likely to cause a fire and/or give yourself serious but non-lethal burns at worst, and trip a circuit breaker at best. I can't imagine anything you'd find in a house could be enough to kill you unless you got really lucky

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
When it comes to electrocution, what matters is the amperage.

I've been shocked by house voltage multiple times accidentally, and clearly I am still alive.

Any normal house voltage, even bypassing a ground fault interrupt circuit, is going to pull more amperage than the breaker is rated for when it is shorted and throw it, causing the circuit to disconnect.

theboy

theboy

Visionary
Jul 15, 2022
it works, but it has to be too much voltage for it to be effective. In addition, you have to know where to put the wires and the electrical device chosen must be good and powerful.

Reactions: davidtorez
S

sanitystruggle

Experienced
Mar 12, 2024
It can work and there have been several case reports of deliberate suicide by electrocution. It can certainly be done. @Alex Fermentopathy posted two recently:

Generally though it's unreliable and potentially very painful, especially without some technical knowledge to bypass safeguards and make an effective circuit. With an AC power source it takes at least 30mA across the heart sustained for a second or longer to trigger ventricular fibrillation and death. Across the heart means hand-to-hand, hand-to-leg or directly across the chest. There's more technical detail in the following Wikipedia article:

Accidents in bathrooms do happen and occasional fatalities are reported but the Hollywood trope of the toaster in the tub is a bit of a myth. It's unpredictable and depends on many factors including the wiring, plumbing, point of contact and individual physiology. Salting the water makes the water more conductive but doesn't necessarily increase the current passing through the person.

S

sanitystruggle

Experienced
Mar 12, 2024
RCD should not be a probled if all the current will go to the neutral wire, not to the ground.
Sure, but OP (and others who've asked) proposed throwing things into the tub, so there's a high chance of earth leakage... That's what I meant by some knowledge is required.

Alex Fermentopathy

Alex Fermentopathy

Student
Feb 25, 2024
Sure, but OP (and others who've asked) proposed throwing things into the tub, so there's a high chance of earth leakage... That's what I meant by some knowledge is required.
I think a person with knowledge will not use a bathtub method. It feels more like a woman's choice, not an electrician's one.

S

sanitystruggle

Experienced
Mar 12, 2024
I think a person with knowledge will not use a bathtub method. It feels more like a woman's choice, not an electrician's one.
I wouldn't gender it but I'm guessing OP like most who raise the question isn't an electrician.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
why wouldn't drying from electrocution actually work? I've seen stuff in the news where merely dropping a broken extension cord kills.

If I were to salt the water making it more conductive, by pass any GFCI outlet, and drop in multiple electronics from different plug, why wouldn't it work?
It will work if you put enough current through yourself. However what is "enough" is very variable, as it depends on muptiple factors, including your state of health. The higher the voltage, the greater the current. (That's Ohm's law, which you might remember from school.) The voltage from an ordinary socket in a house is quite low (usually 110 volts in the US, around 240 volts in much of Europe). That can be fatal, and people have died that way, but usually it's just unpleasant. You can increase the current, for a given voltage, by ensuring that the current has an easy path from the socket, through you, to the earth. (Ohm's Law, again). For example, you could hold a metal fence post. The idea of using water is to create such a path, but it's a bit hit and miss. To be sure of dying you need a higher voltage, such as the high voltages in overhead transmission cables.
Using multiple plugs in parallel won't make any difference, as you would be exposing yourself to exactly the same voltage as if you used only one plug.

• Informative
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
M

momento.mori

Wake me up next year...
Mar 18, 2024
That's sounds very risky and painful. I couldn't imagine trying that method. That's stuff you see in the movies

Alex Fermentopathy

Alex Fermentopathy

Student
Feb 25, 2024
I like this method because the damage goes directly to the heart (if set correctly). So it seems highly unlikely that you will end up with damaged brain but healthy enough heart.

Last edited:
S

sanitystruggle

Experienced
Mar 12, 2024
You can increase the current, for a given voltage, by ensuring that the current has an easy path from the socket, through you, to the earth. (Ohm's Law, again). For example, you could hold a metal fence post.

This will definitely trigger any ground fault protection (RCD or GFCI). You would be better off ensuring a path through you from live to neutral as in the cases @Alex Fermentopathy referenced.

To be sure of dying you need a higher voltage, such as the high voltages in overhead transmission cables.
A surprisingly high number of people survive contact with overhead power lines, even at relatively very high voltages. In the case you do survive severe burns and injuries from falling from height are very likely.

Reactions: Alex Fermentopathy
Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Student
Apr 10, 2024
There's a Breaking Bad scene where a guy CTB from some sort of electric device (defibrillator?)

thetruetato

thetruetato

Jan 1, 2024

Depending on what electrical system you have, it's likely the breaker will automatically shut off. Even if it doesn't, it's still not very likely to work and could simply cause unnecessary pain just to end up right where you started (or worse)

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
It will work if you put enough current through yourself. However what is "enough" is very variable, as it depends on muptiple factors, including your state of health. The higher the voltage, the greater the current. (That's Ohm's law, which you might remember from school.) The voltage from an ordinary socket in a house is quite low (usually 110 volts in the US, around 240 volts in much of Europe). That can be fatal, and people have died that way, but usually it's just unpleasant. You can increase the current, for a given voltage, by ensuring that the current has an easy path from the socket, through you, to the earth. (Ohm's Law, again). For example, you could hold a metal fence post. The idea of using water is to create such a path, but it's a bit hit and miss. To be sure of dying you need a higher voltage, such as the high voltages in overhead transmission cables.
Using multiple plugs in parallel won't make any difference, as you would be exposing yourself to exactly the same voltage as if you used only one plug.
I'm sorry, but as an electronics nerd, I feel the need to correct this.
Higher voltage does not mean higher current/amperage.
As I said in my previous response, it is the amperage that will kill you- this is why a taser, which might be rated at 50,000v+ (far higher than house voltage at 110v or 220v) won't kill you unless you have a heart condition- because even though it is a very high voltage, it is low amperage.

• Informative
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
soonatpeace777888

soonatpeace777888

Experienced
Jul 4, 2023
Horrendously painful death. Being electrocuted is such a bizarre and horrible pain.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I'm sorry, but as an electronics nerd, I feel the need to correct this.
Higher voltage does not mean higher current/amperage.
As I said in my previous response, it is the amperage that will kill you- this is why a taser, which might be rated at 50,000v+ (far higher than house voltage at 110v or 220v) won't kill you unless you have a heart condition- because even though it is a very high voltage, it is low amperage.
I clearly stated in my post that it's current that matters.
However, for a given total resistance of the system - and that is implied in OP's case, because he was talking about wall sockets - a higher voltage obviously means a higher current. A taser must, I presume, have a high internal resistance. (Or, perhaps, just a low ability to generate charge, which would also lead to low sustained current.)
I once saw a kid at school get hooked up to a van de Graaf generator (about 500,000 volts), and come to no harm, just a very mild shock. That was done to demonstrate to us exactly the point you are making: voltage itself is not what matters.
My bachelors degree was in physics, and I also have a PhD. On this topic I know what I'm talking about.