• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
not so long ago, i think most people just dealt with it. we even had a smoking room in our building. but after that, things just got weird. i remember once i went out of my way in a somewhat suburban environment to enjoy a smoke and this person who had all the room in the world to walk around decides to walk into the cloud that i just exhaled, started waving his arm, made some grunting noise etc.

many other similar instances. today, i was getting my new place connected. the job is simple as i've had similar jobs in the past (harder). today, it should be plug n play but after sitting around for over an hour i got frustrated. i cracked a window and lit a cig. took about 3 drags when he walks over to the window and opens it the rest of the way stating that he couldn't breathe. i put it out after hearing that but really, is it just my luck that people who can't tolerate smoke are sent my way?

also remember another time i was sent to l.a. to do some work. so i'm at a bar and i see ashtrays so i thought 'cool' and lit one up. remarkably clean ashtrays they were. everyone around me gave me a dirty look.

Last edited:
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I guess, society needs a scapegoat. Smokers are a good target in people's eyes, it seems.
In my country it isn't even allowed to smoke at the train station anymore and if you throw a butt to the ground you can be charged with (converted) $100.
The next target will be obese people. Some folks want them to pay double if they use more space than one seat in the train, say they are responsible for high inssurance costs cause they get all kind of diseases.
It s ridiculous how intolerant people have become.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Surprisingly, most people have a deviated septum and are unable to breathe properly. After my operation, I was breathing smells from miles away that I had no idea existed. lol
Americans, Canadians, and mouth breathers are the most likely to complain about smoking. :pfff:

I have never smoked, but I hate the social stigma attached to it.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
People take offense to second hand smoke due to the health implications, I think. We have a society now that always assumes the worst in other people (ie. you're smoking to deliberately poison me with tar and nicotine) so I suppose it makes sense. If stupid bullshit on Twitter can be seen as affront, there's no way cigarette smoke is getting a free pass.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
I guess because smoke smells bad and humans are sensory animals
didn't seem that way when i was growing up

I was breathing smells from miles away that I had no idea existed. lol
not sure how wonderful that is but i'm sure there is good in there
the country i'm in now didn't even start their campaign until late 2000's? now all you see everywhere are no smoking signs. i thought people that grew up here were genetically immune to that sort of thing. i can tell you there are many more offensive smells here that nobody seems to complain about.

Last edited:
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I'm not sure. I used to be around smokers all the time, but now I can't smell the stuff without coughing and gagging. Not sure why my body reacts that way.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
I'm not sure. I used to be around smokers all the time, but now I can't smell the stuff without coughing and gagging. Not sure why my body reacts that way.
weird isn't it? i do try and understand and keep my 'disgusting' habit to myself.

Reactions: Malaria and ctvunny
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
People smoked on airplanes. There was a "no smoking" sign that was switched on during take off and landing. Then they found the sweet spot in charging the maximum from tobacco tax.

Last edited:
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
People smoked on airplanes. There was a "no smoking" sign that was switched on during take off and landing. Then they found the sweet spot in charging the maximum from tobacco tax.
haha yes i remember that

Reactions: Homo erectus
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I think everyone has been sensitive to smoking, it's just that people in the past got used to it because it was so prevalent. It's smoke, you're body isn't supposed to inhale it it's supposed to breathe normal air. I think this is just one of those things where you're unfortunately going to have to deal with the fact that most people now no longer tolerate smoking. They can do things to mitigate their discomfort, but you can also do the same if it's not too much of an inconvenience. If someone walks up next to you while exhaling while outdoors yeah that's on them for being an idiot but lighting up indoors where it's going to linger for hours to days when it's a non-smoking area is honestly rude. It goes both ways you know. I don't see why everyone else needs to make accommodations for you all the time. Likewise, you shouldn't have to accommodate for idiots who go out of their way to deal with your smoking all the time either. It's somewhere in the middle.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
I think everyone has been sensitive to smoking, it's just that people in the past got used to it because it was so prevalent. It's smoke, you're body isn't supposed to inhale it it's supposed to breathe normal air. I think this is just one of those things where you're unfortunately going to have to deal with the fact that most people now no longer tolerate smoking. They can do things to mitigate their discomfort, but you can also do the same if it's not too much of an inconvenience. If someone walks up next to you while exhaling while outdoors yeah that's on them for being an idiot but lighting up indoors where it's going to linger for hours to days when it's a non-smoking area is honestly rude. It goes both ways you know. I don't see why everyone else needs to make accommodations for you all the time. Likewise, you shouldn't have to accommodate for idiots who go out of their way to deal with your smoking all the time either. It's somewhere in the middle.
i suppose the people that couldn't tolerate it just stayed home back then. and now they can say what they really wanted to say from the beginning. just seems more psychological more than anything. they seem so entitled or something to that nature. government propaganda but can't even say that because more than half the price for a pack of cigs goes to the gov.

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
just seems more psychological more than anything.
Well, if you want my experience, it's not. When I'm exposed to smoke it chokes me and makes my eyes water and sting. Again, probably has something to do with the fact that we humans are not supposed to be exposed to smoke. Smokers are probably tolerant of it because they're exposed to it a lot. I don't go to smoking areas for that reason. I don't want to be exposed to it. Sorry, but I don't want to compromise my health just so I can tolerate it for the sake of a small segment of the population. That's what I do to accommodate myself. But if I were to go on an airplane I don't get the choice to just leave the plane if people decide to smoke. At that point, smokers have to accommodate others. Maybe some of it is entitlement, but there's also being a decent person It can't always be about you, nor can it always be about them. Like I said before, it's somewhere in the middle. As long as you're not going out of your way to make people miserable I think you're doing good, and at the same time, they shouldn't crap on you for your habit. But if you're going to smoke in front of people, especially in indoor areas, is it so bad that they politely ask you to do it elsewhere? Let's say I like to listen to the worst music humanity ever conceived and my headphones are so loud they might as well be speakers. I don't think you'd like that I'm doing that. If you asked me to turn down my terrible music, I would. I still get to listen to my music, you don't have to deal with it. We both win. What's the problem with that?

Last edited:
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
Well, if you want my experience, it's not. When I'm exposed to smoke it chokes me and makes my eyes water and sting. Again, probably has something to do with the fact that we humans are not supposed to be exposed to smoke. Smokers are probably tolerant of it because they're exposed to it a lot. I don't go to smoking areas for that reason. I don't want to be exposed to it. Sorry, but I don't want to compromise my health just so I can tolerate it for the sake of a small segment of the population. That's what I do to accommodate myself. But if I were to go on an airplane I don't get the choice to just leave the plane if people decide to smoke. At that point, smokers have to accommodate others. Maybe some of it is entitlement, but there's also being a decent person It can't always be about you, nor can it always be about them. Like I said before, it's somewhere in the middle. As long as you're not going out of your way to make people miserable I think you're doing good, and at the same time, they shouldn't crap on you for your habit. But if you're going to smoke in front of people, especially in indoor areas, is it so bad that they politely ask you to do it elsewhere? Let's say I like to listen to the worst music humanity ever conceived and my headphones are so loud they might as well be speakers. I don't think you'd like that I'm doing that. If you asked me to turn down my terrible music, I would. I still get to listen to my music, you don't have to deal with it. We both win. What's the problem with that?
yes i hear you and i do try.

Reactions: dragonofenvy
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I wouldn't complain to someone about it but, it isn't pleasant. It can smell really strong to someone who doesn't smoke and it can make it harder to breathe. Plus yeah- there's the whole issue that it's a carcinogen. So, I do agree with the ban in public places.

I don't know how you feel about spicy food but I suppose it's a bit like someone sneaking in a very hot chilly into whatever you were eating and telling you to stop making a fuss when your eyes stream and throat feels like it's on fire.

But to be fair, it does sound like you consider other people a lot.

Reactions: Unicr0n
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
I don't know how you feel about spicy food but I suppose it's a bit like someone sneaking in a very hot chilly into whatever you were eating and telling you to stop making a fuss when your eyes stream and throat feels like it's on fire.
not sure that is a great analogy but i do love me some spice lol

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
melancholymallory03

melancholymallory03

Do cats live nine lives ? Or do humans ⏰
Feb 20, 2024
not so long ago, i think most people just dealt with it. we even had a smoking room in our building. but after that, things just got weird. i remember once i went out of my way in a somewhat suburban environment to enjoy a smoke and this person who had all the room in the world to walk around decides to walk into the cloud that i just exhaled, started waving his arm, made some grunting noise etc.

many other similar instances. today, i was getting my new place connected. the job is simple as i've had similar jobs in the past (harder). today, it should be plug n play but after sitting around for over an hour i got frustrated. i cracked a window and lit a cig. took about 3 drags when he walks over to the window and opens it the rest of the way stating that he couldn't breathe. i put it out after hearing that but really, is it just my luck that people who can't tolerate smoke are sent my way?

also remember another time i was sent to l.a. to do some work. so i'm at a bar and i see ashtrays so i thought 'cool' and lit one up. remarkably clean ashtrays they were. everyone around me gave me a dirty look.
omg this is my mom when I do visits with her….
Once I almost died of laughter when she approached me at like 2 in the morning out of a dead sleep and said , " all I can smell is pot " when she was all the way upstairs in a three story house, where she also had white noise playing and everything. I was just like ……. What
She sometimes messaged before and said " I can't sleep " it's coming through the vents "
Well , I can't sleep either miss 😭 and the comments like when I smoke one spliff or bong. She's like " that's all I can smell " 😭 ………………….. meanwhile I grew up with her smoking bongs through the window with her friends coming over, and honestly, no complaints.

• Hugs
Reactions: MyChoiceAlone