• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

SunflowerBrains

SunflowerBrains

May 7, 2023
I'm thinking about admitting myself. I was wondering what would happen if I couldn't control myself and self-harmed in the ward. What would they do?

sylviaplatthh

sylviaplatthh

May 15, 2023
So I've been to the ward like 2 times and basically if you did that they had this thing called "TV" (Therapeutic Vacation) which basically meant they didn't let you do fun stuff like gym or activities to "focus on therapy" it was kinda stupid though because that's basically like grounding someone for being upset. Like they did that to me when I had a mental breakdown (didn't SH, just cried to my parents about how I wish I had died) and it kinda sucked.

SunflowerBrains

SunflowerBrains

May 7, 2023
So I've been to the ward like 2 times and basically if you did that they had this thing called "TV" (Therapeutic Vacation) which basically meant they didn't let you do fun stuff like gym or activities to "focus on therapy" it was kinda stupid though because that's basically like grounding someone for being upset. Like they did that to me when I had a mental breakdown (didn't SH, just cried to my parents about how I wish I had died) and it kinda sucked.
Thanks. I'm mostly wondering if they'd actually do those stereotypical dumb procedures (drugs, restraints, physical force) if I was seen hurting myself.

sylviaplatthh

sylviaplatthh

May 15, 2023
Thanks. I'm mostly wondering if they'd actually do those stereotypical dumb procedures (drugs, restraints, physical force) if I was seen hurting myself.
most of the time, no, but I did once witness this girl who tried to escape, and she started screaming in the hallway, and I heard from someone that she got sedated but I'm not sure if that really happened because the last time I saw her she was being taken to this room where she could do what she needed without disturbing the other patients.

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
most of the time, no, but I did once witness this girl who tried to escape, and she started screaming in the hallway, and I heard from someone that she got sedated but I'm not sure if that really happened because the last time I saw her she was being taken to this room where she could do what she needed without disturbing the other patients.
It is very dependent on the situation :)
If there is an acute risk of the patient either hurting themselves or someone else and they won't calm down and won't work with the staff but against them then there is a chance that they will get restrained for their own safety and those of others.

nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
youre much more likely to be sedated instead of restrained in this day and age.

after youve calmed down and they dont think you're an immediate threat to yourself, they might put you in what they called "1 to 1" at my hospital, which is basically you having a nurse or technician in the same room watching you 24/7. i never had to deal with it but i heard it really depends on the person whether or not "24/7" means you cant use a toilet or take a shower or change clothes without them watching you.

this was 10+ years ago, but the hospital i went to when i was young literally had padded cells theyd put kids in if they started getting violent or self-harmy. i remember thinking if it came down to it, i'd much rather just get tossed in there in complete darkness and isolation versus having some lady watch me pee for 3 days đź‘€

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Yeah 'cause people with random shit over and over again is totally harmless.
They thrive off that excitement when I'm just trying to be alone