• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

lemondeath

lemondeath

Mar 13, 2023
I plan on telling my therapist that I plan to ctb soon. I have a plan, and do intend to act on it, but a friend convinced me to talk to my therapist tomorrow.

I'm in the US, does anyone know what my therapist will do? it's more than just ideation, which is why I'm not sure what she'll do.

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
I don't know and really no one here, without knowing your therapist, can answer. My guess though would be that they would be 'recommending you' to be admitted. They might be required to.

Very briefly, many years ago I confided to someone online that I felt like i wanted to ctb. They called the police who came to the house, talked to me while my parents were terrified, and I had to stay a couple months in a psych ward. They're all different but mine was fine, basically neither positive or negative in result but at least I was essentially somewhere that the pressures and expectations of life were suspended for a while. On another hand they likely have their say of what, if anything they put you on chemically, based on what you said. This was all my experience though, just as I don't know your therapist, got no idea about the facilities wherever you are.

Involuntary admission (fancy term for psychiatric imprisonment or something I guess) has a deserved hatred around here. It's not to say though that being in such a place and speaking to doctors there won't help some people. But that's my guess of what will happen. Might be a good idea regardless imo.

I'm curious to see if people with more therapist experience chime in - I have almost none and was never honest with them anyway. Which was probably dumb!

Reactions: lemondeath
Izumi_81

Izumi_81

Mar 2, 2023
I don't live in the US, and sorry for my bad English, but these are some things that I believe that your therapist will do, depending of course on her way of acting.
1- she'll probably try to stop with that speech on try to make you think about things more "clearly" and that kind of stuff.
2- Some therapists have like an Emergency contact that you gave them at the beginning of the therapy process, and if she think it's necessary
she'll inform that emergency contact about your situation
3- If she thinks it's something really serious, she can always contact the competent authorities for that matter, idk how that works in the US, but she can call like a Psychiatric hospital or something, and can talk to them about your situation, which can result on what we call a forced psychiatric internment that can be done when exists the danger of you causing damage to others or yourself.
These 3 are the most probable scenarios that can happen, but of course that this depends on the way that your therapist works and the way she acts on your situation.
I hope I've helped with something

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
She'll step outside the room, go to the phone, and call 9-11. Police will come, you'll be loaded onto an ambulance, and taken to the local ER for processing.

Ask me how I know.

Even if that's not a complete given, the risk is very high. Some therapists get very rattled and trigger-happy.

My question now is this: what leads you to want to reveal this to your therapist? If you are certain about your decision, then telegraphing it isn't liable to help. Do you want to be stopped or talked out of it?

lemondeath

lemondeath

Mar 13, 2023
She'll step outside the room, go to the phone, and call 9-11. Police will come, you'll be loaded onto an ambulance, and taken to the local ER for processing.

Ask me how I know.

Even if that's not a complete given, the risk is very high. Some therapists get very rattled and trigger-happy.

My question now is this: what leads you to want to reveal this to your therapist? If you are certain about your decision, then telegraphing it isn't liable to help. Do you want to be stopped or talked out of it?
Thanks for the response, it's a complicated situation and I'm willing to give it a shot. worse case I'll just ctb later, it's not like they can stop me forever.

Octavia

Octavia

“I’d… rather kill myself.”
Mar 4, 2023
Legally speaking, if you give them reasons to believe that you would be ending yourself in the very near future, they would have to detain you and wait for emergency services to bring you to the Sad Jail.