• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Coconteppi

Coconteppi

It was a cool lil place. Just missing something :)
Mar 14, 2024
I appreciate that your post is not a call for help.

I've experienced very similar to you in that as I get older (I'm now in my early 30s) fewer and fewer things are really engaging to me or can hold my focus - and I sometimes find myself just wanting to do nothing - I don't want to watch a TV show, I don't want to play a game, I don't want to read a book, I don't want to learn something new, I don't want to go for a walk - etc etc - I really have no "will" - not no will to live, just no will to do any of the things that usually comprise life.

These feelings are generally associated with depression - and certainly to me it seems rational to consider them a function of mental state rather than some kind of philosophical state of nihilism which actually philosophically ought to have nothing to do with whether or not we feel the desire to do things. Realizing the disconnect between our experience of the world and the world itself is probably one of the keys to answering your question technically speaking. When you were a child your psychology allowed you to become totally engrossed in new challenges, to learn, to explore, to feel wonder - that wasn't a function of how much knowledge or experience you had, but a function of the way the adolescent mind works.

Likewise we are not philosophical beings - we are animals that have the illusion of reason and function mostly off of something like "instinct" - we're just semi-self aware of it.

I'm going to point to one of my favourite "pessimist" philosophers Arthur Schopenhauer who wrote extensively on the concept of "the will".

"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills." -AS
"Desire is the most important feature of man's will; without it, will would be aimless and senseless." -AS

So from this we might see that if we don't have any desire or any will to do anything - the only thing left to ask is whether we preferred life when we had those feelings of desire and will - something pushing us to feel curious and to feel exhilarated at the thought of accomplishment, or to obsess over something and put all of ourselves into it.

If yes, then ask whether there's anything a person can do to regain those feelings. And as it turns out, generally there is something you can do, which is therapy/lifestyle change/in some instances treating an underlying physiological issue chemical/condition. A good place to start is to force yourself to exercise in my experience. So many problems in life connect back to and manifest in the body - that is why injury, disease, or addiction can have such a profound negative effect on psychology. I like to try to find a place that's comfortable that I can go back to go for a walk and get some fresh air - often just the physical act of strolling through a park can suddenly get your thoughts flowing in a more liminal way that feels more dynamic and full of possibility.

I believe that my "will" to do things in life is still present. However, I believe that my will to do things is weak. I think there's nothing left in life that I am interested in enough to the point that I would choose it over death.

I believe that philosophies in the sense of. (Doing what I deem right/wrong, declaring what is important to me in life as a sentient being. ) Would be a result of my understanding of death. Through understanding that death is the permanet end of life. I have to know what is important in my actions towards other people, what I believe to be right/wrong, and what I desure to do knowing that myself and others are all only guaranteed one life, making it inherently valuable. This it what creates importance out of my feeling of meaning,reason,desire in life. If I understand death then I can create a baseline for life. What do I hope to do before death? What should I not do to waste my one life? How should I treat other sentient beings? All philosophical. These questions only relate to life in its core. Before introducing the physical world. I now have a moral code and philosophy and by answering these questions I can judge life against death and make a somewhat clear choice as to whether or not I'd rather death or continue life.

I don't have anything I would care to do in life understanding what is possible in this world and would rather choose death understanding that it could be anything better/worse/nothing. In addition to not having anything I would care doing over death. And having things that are actively negative (i.e. deppression/pain/upseting others) I would rather choose death being content with my knowledge of it compared to life.

I've never really had trouble in life. I am well off when it comes to finance, intelligence, opprotunity, position, fitness, attractiveness etc. I live my life in a very healthy way. I am physically and socially active and tend to have a very optimistic view on life. I have many friends and could find someone to date incredibly easy. I go on walks to simply "enjoy the day" all the time. Enjoy sunsets. Enjoy company. And live a pretty "normal" lifestyle. I just have a strong suicidal desire compared to most in my position.
I believe that my "will" to do things in life is still present. However, I believe that my will to do things is weak. I think there's nothing left in life that I am interested in enough to the point that I would choose it over death.

I believe that philosophies in the sense of. (Doing what I deem right/wrong, declaring what is important to me in life as a sentient being. ) Would be a result of my understanding of death. Through understanding that death is the permanet end of life. I have to know what is important in my actions towards other people, what I believe to be right/wrong, and what I desure to do knowing that myself and others are all only guaranteed one life, making it inherently valuable. This it what creates importance out of my feeling of meaning,reason,desire in life. If I understand death then I can create a baseline for life. What do I hope to do before death? What should I not do to waste my one life? How should I treat other sentient beings? All philosophical. These questions only relate to life in its core. Before introducing the physical world. I now have a moral code and philosophy and by answering these questions I can judge life against death and make a somewhat clear choice as to whether or not I'd rather death or continue life.

I don't have anything I would care to do in life understanding what is possible in this world and would rather choose death understanding that it could be anything better/worse/nothing. In addition to not having anything I would care doing over death. And having things that are actively negative (i.e. deppression/pain/upseting others) I would rather choose death being content with my knowledge of it compared to life.

I've never really had trouble in life. I am well off when it comes to finance, intelligence, opprotunity, position, fitness, attractiveness etc. I live my life in a very healthy way. I am physically and socially active and tend to have a very optimistic view on life compared to others. I am often happy. I have many friends and could find someone to date incredibly easy. I go on walks to simply "enjoy the day" all the time. Enjoy sunsets. Enjoy company. I have a pretty good life And live a pretty "normal/good" lifestyle. I just have a strong suicidal desire compared to most in my position.

Last edited:
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Thank you for the response. Let me first say just to set the tone that I'm not approaching our exchange as an argument or debate, but rather as a conversation.
Likewise. Just a friendly conversation.đź‘Ť

1. I think we are having some kind of semantic disagreement - my assertion is that these are feelings, not philosophical positions. You can use philosophy to justify or rationalize those feelings, but the feelings themself are not "philosophical" in nature. If a person can't find meaning in the world it isn't because of a philosophical question, anymore than you need philosophy to find "meaning" in the world. Feelings, such as the search for meaning, can be influenced or rationalized by philosophy, but the feelings themselves are not inherently philosophical.
I disagree. Feelings can be triggered by thought.
While finding no meaning in life doesn't necessarily have to start with a philosophical question, it can.
It can also come from a growing disillusionment with everyday life over time. A growing 'feeling' of disillusionment, I guess.

But it can also come from one of the main philosophical questions to do with life: "does life have any meaning?"

2. Life is absurd in nature - to say that it is meaningless is again to fall victim to a kind of semantic trap - meaning is not a characteristic of life, and it never could be. Meaning comes from the will and our desires - when we feel ourselves being pulled by those inherent urges the world is coloured by them and we create meaning only in the context of our own will.
Saying life is meaningless is just a rational way of looking at life.
The need for meaning comes from a human need or desire.I agree that we create our own meaning.

3. I've had personal experience with depression and suicidal thoughts, as well as with family members who have experienced illness that they expressed they wished to induce death to avoid experiencing. One of those family members also worked in the healthcare profession and witnessed first hand pain and suffering that evidently caused them to give these issues great consideration. They enjoyed their life, but deeply feared being unable to escape it while suffering from a debilitating pain and loss of their mind. Recovering from my own mental health issues as well as solidarity with my loved ones who deserved the right to death are the two converging issues that inform my desire to participate here. These experiences have caused me to think about these issues quite a bit, and I want to share and learn from others who are stakeholders in these issues.
I was just wondering out of curiosity why you were on this site if you enjoyed life. Your reason for contributing on here is perfectly valid.

4. Cheers

5. Yes it certainly is not easy - in fact depression can be one of the most difficult afflictions to overcome, especially when it's severe and/or accompanied by hard conditions in a person's life. It's a very complex issue but I was trying to boil it down to the simplest form of the idea.

Some people are depressed because of the material conditions of their life - this can be so difficult because the depression makes it harder to change those conditions, and often even without the depression the cards can be stacked against us. This is a kind of depression that you might call realist depression - they are depressed because the world they live in is depressing. Some people are depressed because the world they lived in was depressing, and now it's a bit better but their psychological state hasn't adjusted. And still some people really have a lot going for them in life, but they are afflicted with depression because of a physiological condition (this one I would argue is actually pretty rare - usually people are depressed for a reason).

In any case - even when the depression is a symptom of the depressed world that the person lives in - the depression itself is a subjective experience - it's a "mental disorder" and this is backed up by modern biology and advancing medical studies.
Life is a subjective experience.
Depression isn't always a mental disorder. Sometimes it can be a rational response to life. To our mortality, and like I said earlier, to life's meaninglessness.

And I just want to make sure this clear because I think that while depression often causes people to report the world more accurately, I also believe that it clouds judgement in some equal and opposite ways. I think one of the issues is that we have medicalized mental health issues and created a system that tries to use drugs for example as a band-aid. In reality the vast majority of these problems are caused by "problems in living" - the actual lives of people (Thomas S. Szasz).
Problems in the living? As in life itself? Yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

And yes I really feel for all of the people who have exhausted all of their options. There are many here who I have read from and they give accounts that paint exactly that picture. Even for those people, and for all the people who still have options remaining, I just want to try to provide something like a sober and honest account of the facts - not one characterized by the influence of depression or resignment, and equally not one characterized by societies irrational fear of allowing people autonomy over their own life or death.
"An honest account of the facts" can only ever be your subjective view of things.

Thank you this was a very in depth and thought out reply! I appreciate it! :)
I enjoy most things in life. However, I don't have any interest in doing the things I enjoy for so many more years. I feel life is kinda lived out. I don't care to continue doing things I enjoy because they're no longer interesting. I don't see anything that could fill the gap of something interesting out there. And having to work and deal with the pains of life is not worth doing things that I feel aren't enjoyable/interesting enough in exchange. I'd just rather go into whatever death is and call it early. Whether better/worse I am content with choosing it over life.
I guess if you're still getting some enjoyment out of life, why not continue to do so until you no longer get any enjoyment out of it? The only real measurement of a "good" life is if you are enjoying it or not.

...I've never really had trouble in life. I am well off when it comes to finance, intelligence, opprotunity, position, fitness, attractiveness etc. I live my life in a very healthy way. I am physically and socially active and tend to have a very optimistic view on life. I have many friends and could find someone to date incredibly easy. I go on walks to simply "enjoy the day" all the time. Enjoy sunsets. Enjoy company. And live a pretty "normal" lifestyle. I just have a strong suicidal desire compared to most in my position.
I get what you're saying that your will to do things in life is weak. But maybe if you are still getting enjoyment from it, like you mention above, it might be worth sticking around longer until all of that is totally gone?

But obviously only you can truly know for sure.

Coconteppi

Coconteppi

Mar 14, 2024
I guess if you're still getting some enjoyment out of life, why not continue to do so until you no longer get any enjoyment out of it? The only real measurement of a "good" life is if you are enjoying it or not.
I still get enjoyment out of life. It's what has kept me here so far. But every form of enjoyment kinda feels the same to me. Whether pressing an "enjoy the moment" button or actively going out to do someonething I enjoy. I don't really care to uphold the measurement of "good" life. I believe I've lived a "good" life and am content with that aspect. I wouldn't be here if I thought the enjoyment I get out of doing-things/living was enough to warrant the work/negatives associated with living.

Although I have no issue enjoying things in life. And my enjoyment seems higher than those around me.
I don't enjoy them enough to want to pursue/obtain them for decades
My boredom of life is stronger than my enjoyment. I dont see anything worth sticking around for even if its enjoyable.

A way that might explain it better is like a game. You might really enjoy playing it but it eventually gets boring. So you play a different game. There are more games (things to do) than you could ever accomplish before death. But, you're not just bored of your favorite game. You've seen the games out there and dont really care to play any of them. You'd rather just, not play. You still have games you think would be enjoyable. But you wouldn't enjoy it enough for you to want to keep chosing to play.

So, I can continue living, playing the "enjoyable" games the rest of my life. (Doing the things I enjoy in life). But suffering through the negative parts that come with it. Dying eventually.
Or, I can ctb. Face death, an unknown. Worse/better/same/nothing/different I don't know. But is irreversable.

Since I don't care to enjoy anymore "games" I see more reason to ctb instead
Better - I'm happy (okay with)
Worse - sucks
Same - No difference (okay with)
Nothing - I'm satisfied anyway (okay with)
Different- I can't know (okay with)

The odds of death being something I am okay with are in my favor. Since I'm satisfied/content with the life I've lived. Everything feels like overkill.

I don't really fear the death because I've live a life that I think was sufficient, and am now content with dying. So the back door is unlocked ig you could say.

• Hugs
Reactions: cupcakesandmilk
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
I still get enjoyment out of life. It's what has kept me here so far. But every form of enjoyment kinda feels the same to me. Whether pressing an "enjoy the moment" button or actively going out to do someonething I enjoy. I don't really care to uphold the measurement of "good" life. I believe I've lived a "good" life and am content with that aspect. I wouldn't be here if I thought the enjoyment I get out of doing-things/living was enough to warrant the work/negatives associated with living.

Although I have no issue enjoying things in life. And my enjoyment seems higher than those around me.
I don't enjoy them enough to want to pursue/obtain them for decades
My boredom of life is stronger than my enjoyment. I dont see anything worth sticking around for even if its enjoyable.
Right, so you're getting bits and pieces of enjoyment out of life, but not enough to make it worthwhile to keep on living?

The odds of death being something I am okay with are in my favor. Since I'm satisfied/content with the life I've lived. Everything feels like overkill.

I don't really fear the death because I've live a life that I think was sufficient, and am now content with dying. So the back door is unlocked ig you could say.
Well if you're satisfied with the life you've lived, then you are lucky. Many of us here never got to live the life we hoped to live. You are lucky in that regard.

• Hugs
Reactions: Shunya
Coconteppi

Coconteppi

Mar 14, 2024
Well if you're satisfied with the life you've lived, then you are lucky. Many of us here never got to live the life we hoped to live. You are lucky in that regard.
Yes, and I am very grateful for my luck regarding this. :)

Sentience is sweet. I am happy I got the chance to experience it with so many advantages.

Reactions: Tears in Rain