• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

StrawberrySuicide

StrawberrySuicide

Apr 2, 2023
It feels like no matter what I do my issues are brushed off. When I first started to self harm people treated it like it was a phase, when I relapsed my parents just got mad at me, when I relapsed again my parents barely Even reacted. When I told my parents I was suicidal they accused me of just trying to avoid responsibilities. When I ran away from home in middle school no one acknowledged that i was crying for help, I just got in trouble instead. Whenever I cried, my parents told me I was manipulative. When I finally go into therapy my parents got mad because I wasn't talking about what they wanted me to talk about. When my therapist tried to explain to my parents that I needed farther treatment and wanted to get me tested, my parents made me stop seeing that therapist. My parents never believed me whenever I told them I was struggling, they just thought I was lazy. They would threaten to take me to a mental hospital as a punishment, but when I told them to take me there because I didn't know what else to do they just said that was for people who actually needed it, not me. When I had a panic attack my dad got frustrated with me because the breathing techniques weren't working and my mom, who caused it, said it was my fault and I was doing it to myself. my parents got frustrated with me for barely being able to do the bare minimum and having no motivation or passion instead of seeing that I desperately needed help. Every diagnosis that was brought up as a possibility was dismissed. Adhd According to them Just doesn't exist. I couldn't be depressed because I didn't seem depressed to them. I couldn't have anxiety because everyone gets anxious and if my mom can deal with her anxiety disorder I should be able to as well. I didn't even bring it up to them when I was told I might have autism and/or a personality disorder, I knew it wouldn't go well.

MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Any help I can offer is gladly given :)
Mar 2, 2023
your parents sound like a real bag of dicks... there's really no end to what a different-minded person has to suffer just because we're outnumbered and our problems are less known... I hope you can at least find some comfort here as well as people who respect and support you

redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
To be honest from what you're saying I don't think there's anyway for your parents to take you seriously. They don't seem to trust what you tell them at all and they won't take the advice from a professional like a therapist either. I'm really sorry that you can't get any support from them. I don't know about your personal situation or anything but if I had to give any advice it would be to try and distance yourself from your parents and find support elsewhere (some of which you could get here for example) and now that you're an adult it might be worth it for you to try like therapy again on your own where they can't interfere. Your parents are sadly just unreasonable and from what you described I doubt that'll change

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
The unfortunate reality is that as humans we are all alone, nobody else can experience life in the same way or really understand our suffering. Those people really do sound so insensitive and dismissive, it's true that other people very often just make things worse. But anyway I wish you the best.

man_in_red:)

man_in_red:)

Wandering with no destination
Mar 27, 2023
Let everything out at once, show them how you really feel. Just go ahead and say everything you want to say to them, trash the house, let them feel a fraction of the pain you are feeling. In the end it's really their fault for giving you no option.

Reactions: StrawberrySuicide
FallenStar

FallenStar

Global Mod
Oct 23, 2021
I am very sorry for what you are going through, your story is very similar to mine, many times since I was little I asked for help and they always treated me as if I were inventing everything or manipulating, to date. When I finally received help it was already too late, everything had gotten worse for me and now I am here at this point and despite all the therapists and psychiatrists who have treated me and all the diagnoses they have given me they still do not understand things. There are people who should never have children, they only had them to harm them. I wish things could improve for you, I send you a hug.

T

TheSadStranger

Out of time...
Mar 30, 2023
It feels like no matter what I do my issues are brushed off. When I first started to self harm people treated it like it was a phase, when I relapsed my parents just got mad at me, when I relapsed again my parents barely Even reacted. When I told my parents I was suicidal they accused me of just trying to avoid responsibilities. When I ran away from home in middle school no one acknowledged that i was crying for help, I just got in trouble instead. Whenever I cried, my parents told me I was manipulative. When I finally go into therapy my parents got mad because I wasn't talking about what they wanted me to talk about. When my therapist tried to explain to my parents that I needed farther treatment and wanted to get me tested, my parents made me stop seeing that therapist. My parents never believed me whenever I told them I was struggling, they just thought I was lazy. They would threaten to take me to a mental hospital as a punishment, but when I told them to take me there because I didn't know what else to do they just said that was for people who actually needed it, not me. When I had a panic attack my dad got frustrated with me because the breathing techniques weren't working and my mom, who caused it, said it was my fault and I was doing it to myself. my parents got frustrated with me for barely being able to do the bare minimum and having no motivation or passion instead of seeing that I desperately needed help. Every diagnosis that was brought up as a possibility was dismissed. Adhd According to them Just doesn't exist. I couldn't be depressed because I didn't seem depressed to them. I couldn't have anxiety because everyone gets anxious and if my mom can deal with her anxiety disorder I should be able to as well. I didn't even bring it up to them when I was told I might have autism and/or a personality disorder, I knew it wouldn't go well.
I truly am sorry for you. I don't know what advice to give you. Normally I have something to say, but it sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Your parents don't sound like pleasant people. My best suggestion is to really bring to their attention that you need help. Try to have a serious adult conversation that you need help. If you have a local or school counselor see if they can help you confront your parents. If that doesn't work. Make a scene in public if needed. Get creative. Just don't hurt anyone. Call the suicide hotline for help and see what they have to say. If that doesn't work I would call DCS or social services for help (reason neglect) make sure to emphasize that they refused/neglected to get you the help you need.

I am so so sorry you have to go through this. This world is full of pain and suffering.
I know this first hand, but my story is a bit of a long one so I'll spare you the details. I think ctb should be an absolute last resort if all else fails. Keep in mind that regardless of what I think that it's your life and your choice.

I hope only the best for you.
Please stay safe.

3amwife

3amwife

Apr 6, 2023
The first time I sh my mother rolled her eyes and say it was all for attention, she got her degree in psychology and just kept saying that she knew 'real' depression. I think it is some sort of defense mechanism or cognitive dissociation to not take responsibility for a troubled child because of her background she would be a perfect mother to handle the situation. Do not take their faults as you are the problem. They most likely want you to have a mask to make them feel better about their parenting.
If you do really want to get help maybe approach the situation in a manner you think they will be open to or make it like it was their idea instead of yours.
I really wish you the best

S

sadshrike

Feb 2, 2022
Ugh so much invalidation. Sorry you're dealing with all this. Have you heard of the Philip Larkin poem "This Be The Verse"?