• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Global Respondent Adjudicator
Jul 10, 2022
Probably one of the most talked about topics in music since 1994 and I can't believe it's been 30 years, time needs to slow the hell down!

Now, I'm not gonna talk about the circumstances surrounding his suicide, it's been talked about for many years, and you can find all types of documents, investigations, theories all over the internet, especially today. Hell, you can even put your theories or thoughts surrounding the suicide, or even his death in this thread.

BUT. I want to know what your favourite Nirvana song is, and what it means to you?

This also includes if you have any particular favourite songs from bands from the 'grunge', 90's era, such as Pearl Jam (save Eddie Vedder at all costs), Soundgarden (love you a Chris Cornell!), Alice in Chains (love you Layne Staley!), among many others.

Mine is 'Lithium' from the 1991 album Nevermind

The reason being, 'lithium' is a perfect description of manic depression, where every line is both happy and sad, up and down. It has references to God, recalling when Kurt lived with a devout Christian family. The title invokes lithium salts, a key drug in treating the disorder. Lithium is a metaphor for Christianity: addictive and mind numbing. This song is all about turning to religion of the avoid in your life like many do with drugs.

I'd also like to blame Kurt Cobain and various bands of the 90s for having my fashion sense be solely wearing cardigans and ripped jeans as a male in my teenager years. And I still do this day. LOL

persimmon

persimmon

Jan 21, 2024
I don't know if it means anything to me particularly but this is probably my favourite, particularly this performance (Reading 1991).

rotciv

rotciv

Something In The Way
Mar 25, 2023
Probably one of the most talked about about topics in music since 1994 and I can't believe it's been 30 years, time needs to slow the hell down!

Now, I'm not gonna talk about the circumstances surrounding his suicide, it's been talked about for many years, and you can find all types of documents, investigations, theories all over the internet, especially today. Hell, you can even put your theories or thoughts surrounding the suicide, or even his death in this thread.

BUT. I want to know what your favourite Nirvana song is, and what it means to you?

This also includes if you have any particular favourite songs from bands from the 'grunge', 90's era, such as Pearl Jam (save Eddie Vedder at all costs), Soundgarden (love you a Chris Cornell!), Alice in Chains (love you Layne Staley!), among many others.

The reason being, 'lithium' is a perfect description of manic depression, where every line is both happy and sad, up and down. It has references to God, recalling when Kurt lived with a devout Christian family. The title invokes lithium salts, a key drug in treating the disorder. Lithium is a metaphor for Christianity: addictive and mind numbing. This song is all about turning to religion of the avoid in your life like many do with drugs.

I'd also like to blame Kurt Cobain and various bands of the 90s for having my fashion sense be solely wearing cardigans and ripped jeans as a male in my teenager years. And I still do this day. LOL

I don't understand a lot of religious references in this song, but English isn't my first language, and to be honest I don't even know what he's referring to in the whole song LOL

Dot

Dot

Globl mod - Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Probably one of the most talked about about topics in music since 1994 and I can't believe it's been 30 years, time needs to slow the hell down!

Dd nt realse tht abt tht sng bt tht fls obvs in rtrospct

flightless bird

flightless bird

somewhere over the rainbow
Aug 18, 2022
no one knows what happened.

favorite songs: dumb, blew, come as you are, in bloom, slts, about a girl, negative creep, lithium, something in the way, heart-shaped box, polly, rape me, stain, sliver, pennyroyal tea

Last edited:
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024

I don't know if it's my favorite song from Nirvana, but it's definitely one of the most underrated.

• Love
Reactions: moloko plus
Oliver

Oliver

Experienced
Feb 28, 2024
Another member of the 27-Club. To bad I just turned 28 and can't become a part of it. :ahhha:

moloko plus

moloko plus

Apr 4, 2024
Probably one of the most talked about topics in music since 1994 and I can't believe it's been 30 years, time needs to slow the hell down!

As a lifelong Nirvana fan, that would be quite difficult to choose one single song. I love them all, no exceptions. If I were really hard-pressed to pick, I'd go with, dunno, 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter' maybe. The lines I specifically like are the desperate 'What is wrong with me?' and the honest and direct 'Hate your enemies, save, save your friends'.

Some other contenders could possibly be 'You Know You're Right', 'Milk It', 'Stain', 'Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip', 'SLTS' (of course), 'In Bloom', 'Lounge Act', 'Sappy'.

And I can also relate to your fashion sense remark. Still doing this stuff too: dyed hair, ripped jeans, layered t-shirts, cardigans and other long-ish clothes, All Star styled shoes — you know, all that jazz, or should I say grunge. Wouldn't have it any other way😎

Listening to Sonic Youth while typing this as well.

Last edited:
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
I love Smell Like Teen Spirit" not just because that was my first time I heard Nirvana when I was a teenager, but also I'm a vivid potsmoker for about 3 decades on going.

Cobain has always been my favourite idol, his cool personality is the cause why I'm still wearing flanel and jeans until today. He hated injustice and falsehood made me love him even more, we're both introvert who hated this world, of course the difference is that he made a lot of money being famous (but he didn't like popularity) and he made it at 27 while I failed my first and only attempt.

To complete this, Lainey Staley (Alice in Chains) also died 5th April 2002 by overdose.

Coincidentally, 5th April 7 years ago I lose my father, so it's rather a big day for me.

Soon enough, I'll be joining all of them legends, next year hopefully.

Kpjzd9 17popbg

moloko plus

moloko plus

Apr 4, 2024
he made it at 27 while I failed my first and only attempt
Well, if that can make you feel any better, Kurt failed his first attempt too. It happened a month before the successful one, on March 4th, in Rome, Italy. He also had been experiencing suicidal thoughts/tendencies since his teenage years, so it's safe to say it took him a while.

• Love
Reactions: Euthanza
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I remember. I was 18 when he died, and thought grunge sucked!!
Few years ago my then roommate was a huge Nirvana fan, I learned to appreciate them.
Many artists seem to have very breakable souls unfortunately...

There are so many examples

Anyway favourite song

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Well, if that can make you feel any better, Kurt failed his first attempt too. It happened a month before the successful one, on March 4th, in Rome, Italy. He also had been experiencing suicidal thoughts/tendencies since his teenage years, so it's safe to say it took him a while.
Thanks, I didn't know that, I guess he was also using drugs; lucky that he had access to shotgun.

grungy自殺

grungy自殺

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Jan 9, 2024
Rip kurt..

He shall be missed!

I loved nearly song he wrote

Most personal for me were paper cuts, big long now and aneurysm

• Love
Reactions: moloko plus
moloko plus

moloko plus

Apr 4, 2024
Thanks, I didn't know that, I guess he was also using drugs; lucky that he had access to shotgun.
In Rome, he took up to 50 Rohypnol pills wih alcohol, was hospitalized and spent about 24 hours in a coma. This was kinda spur-of-the-moment attempt. The successful one that followed in a month was more thought out. He didn't buy the shotgun himself because he already got his firearms confiscated by the police on two occasions, the latest being on March 18 as a result of a home dispute with Courtney who claimed (and police agreed) he was suicidal. So for his April attempt, he asked his friend Dylan Carlson (of the band Earth) to buy him the gun, and the rest is history. Carlson was Kurt's close friend, it is believed that the song 'In Bloom' is about him.

Btw, Carlson's own band, Earth, is also a very good one, and about as influential and fundamental to their genre (drone doom) as Nirvana was to theirs. Kurt did vocals for one of their tunes:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Euthanza
T

thesea

Apr 6, 2024
Heart-Shaped Box and Come As Your Are for me. They take me back to a happier, if still confusing, time: seeing in the dawn from smoke-filled rooms with an old friend, lazily philosophising on things we didn't (and still don't) understand… but the wonder and interest was there, knowing the world (and us) was messed up but feeling like we could slip away from it all… even just for a short while…

Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Global Respondent Adjudicator
Jul 10, 2022
I love every Nirvana song, but these ones have a special place in my heart:

This is a great selection!

As a lifelong Nirvana fan, that would be quite difficult to choose one single song. I love them all, no exceptions. If I were really hard-pressed to pick, I'd go with, dunno, 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter' maybe. The lines I specifically like are the desperate 'What is wrong with me?' and the honest and direct 'Hate your enemies, save, save your friends'.

Some other contenders could possibly be 'You Know You're Right', 'Milk It', 'Stain', 'Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip', 'SLTS' (of course), 'In Bloom', 'Lounge Act', 'Sappy'.

And I can also relate to your fashion sense remark. Still doing this stuff too: dyed hair, ripped jeans, layered t-shirts, cardigans and other long-ish clothes, All Star styled shoes — you know, all that jazz, or should I say grunge. Wouldn't have it any other way😎

Listening to Sonic Youth while typing this as well.

Sonic Youth! Also a great band! And I like your selection of songs especially the not well known ones, a true fan I see!