• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I have an identical twin who had the good fortune to be spared it. The etiology of autism is incredibly complicated and my case shows that. He did dominate the placenta such that he weighed over a pound more when we were born. I'm sure that played a role in my developing autism.

I have a maternal first cousin who has it. Our families are estranged so I don't know much about his situation. He seems to be leading a much happier existence, which of course can be due to several factors. My impression is that he was spared a lot of the psychiatric miser that usually accompanies Asperger's and unlike me is tech-inclined. Seems the autistic folks that fare the best are such.

My mother has what I believe to be clinically significant autistic traits. Since I have a maternal cousin with it I know there is a strain of neurodivergence on her side.

rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
My brother is autistic and I'm quite certain my father has some kind of undiagnosed -tism as well.
They are both shitty people though and I like to think I'm different from them even though our brains are probably wired similarly.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and Meteora
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
In my case, I don't think that my lack of memory regarding childhood is specifically an autistic thing. Perhaps I don't remember much of my childhood to avoid trauma? I don't know. Also, no, I'm not in the US. I'm in the UK
Ok yes that makes sense with the trauma :aw:. They told my in therapies the same, that I have litte memory because of trauma.

Nephew diagnosed at 8, his sister diagnosed at 15. I am self-diagnosed (too much $$ to make it official 🤷‍♂️). My father had all the signs as well, and now I'm not so sure about my mother. (Both deceased). Definitely runs in families!
Would you share some signs that imply autism for you?
I have an identical twin who had the good fortune to be spared it. The etiology of autism is incredibly complicated and my case shows that.
Identical means you are two males, right? And you look the same? That is a really extraordinary case....

Seems the autistic folks that fare the best are such.
Yes that's possible.
He did dominate the placenta such that he weighed over a pound more when we were born. I'm sure that played a role in my developing autism.
That's really remarkable.....

Last edited:
Sad_Autistic_boy_101

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

When I die, you'll love me.
Nov 19, 2019
I'm the only Autistic person in my family. I only have 1 sibling - so I am the youngest. My family seem to be the classic Neurotypical type and my brain works very differently to there's. They are very much in denial about my Autism, even though I have complex needs.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I'm the only Autistic person in my family. I only have 1 sibling - so I am the youngest. My family seem to be the classic Neurotypical type and my brain works very differently to there's. They are very much in denial about my Autism, even though I have complex needs.
I m sorry, that's the worst if a condition just gets ignored.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Tomorrow the evaluation finally starts. I m confuesd and insecure, some autism assigned behaviour I did show only when I became much older. Someone here said it must be you have had this behaviour since childhood.
I was thinking about that a lot and came to the conclusion, what if you are autistic and tramatized and were completely absent as a child because of the trauma?'

However, I hope the psychologist tomorrow is a well educated, capable woman who understands well what she is doing. I honestly pray she is.

It is kind of weird anyway that you go to someone and they make you fill in forms and then you get a result./diagnosis. Normally it takes a lot of time to understand how a person functions and why he or she is the way she is. People from university seem to overlook the simplest things at times and that scares me.

tryingtoquietdown

tryingtoquietdown

it's too loud in my head
Mar 6, 2024
I'm autistic (self-dx because money and the stigma lol) and although my immediate family has plenty of mental illness, I don't know if anyone is autistic. I have a younger cousin who was diagnosed and receiving treatment, but beyond them (and a few uncles that could definitely be on the spectrum), the majority of my family shows symptoms of OCD and anxiety, not autism. I know many OCD symptoms and autistic symptoms overlap, but I'm not sure where the cutoff line is and whether it's my place to even judge others' possible mental illnesses. All I know is that I come from a line of hoarders, workaholics, and people pleasers, and that definitely did something wack to my brain.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and Meteora
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
What do you think of this online-tests with mostly 50 questions who give you a indication weather you might be autistic or not?