R

RobertSn

Jul 18, 2020
It's not due to not wanting to hurt family since I don't have anyone close to me and my parents are gone. It's not due to fear of the pain of dying, since we can use peaceful methods.

The only reason I haven't caught the bus yet is purely a selfish one.

Why?

Fear of the afterlife. I can't imagine committing suicide to escape this life only to be inserted unwillingly into an eternal existence of unfathomable horrors.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: TAW122, Flump, Woodnote and 5 others
Baguette

Baguette

Jun 28, 2020
It's not due to not wanting to hurt family since I don't have anyone close to me and my parents are gone. It's not due to fear of the pain of dying, since we can use peaceful methods.

The only reason I haven't caught the bus yet is purely a selfish one.

Why?

Fear of the afterlife. I can't imagine committing suicide to escape this life only to be inserted unwillingly into an eternal existence of unfathomable horrors.
Why would you be punished for ending your own pain?

Heaven will be a very chill place where you have no responsibilities if it exists. There may not even be any afterlife.

• Love
Reactions: Brokenwithbpd
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
Just think scientific; when your brain dies, you die. It will be like all those billions of years before you existed.

Reactions: mathieu, all_pointless, Flump and 2 others
R

RobertSn

Jul 18, 2020
Just think scientific; when your brain dies, you die. It will be like all those billions of years before you existed.
Totally makes sense. No science exists for the afterlife.

Yet still, what I've seen on this planet suggests there is a higher intelligence out there and maybe in our midst. However it's unclear if it's just aliens and we are inter dimensional pets or playthings.

If I were an advanced alien or mobile artificial general intelligence, I might be intrigued by a planet of evolved hominids. I might even "play God" just to experiment on them.

Reactions: Astral316
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Totally makes sense. No science exists for the afterlife.

Yet still, what I've seen on this planet suggests there is a higher intelligence out there and maybe in our midst. However it's unclear if it's just aliens and we are inter dimensional pets or playthings.

If I were an advanced alien or mobile artificial general intelligence, I might be intrigued by a planet of evolved hominids. I might even "play God" just to experiment on them.
If it's aliens and we are the playthings, why would they cause us to have an 'eternal existence of horrors' in the afterlife' if we ctb because of suffering? Unless they are demons, and if demons run the universe then all humans are f'd.

I also don't see the logic in being sent to some kind of hell for ending a life that was full of suffering. Surely the being who created us would be full of compassion and love? If not, then it's not a loving God, but the devil who runs things. In which case, all humans are f'd.

Reactions: all_pointless, Bauhaus, RobertSn and 3 others
B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
Why would you be punished for ending your own pain?

Heaven will be a very chill place where you have no responsibilities if it exists. There may not even be any afterlife.
That's how I believe heaven to be. God wouldn't punish us because we have mental illness or because we want to end our pain

Reactions: Bauhaus and Baguette
I

I screwed up

Waiting for the damn bus
Sep 11, 2019
I think its better to let the unknown be unknown ... It just complicates matters

D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
Mood I grew up with heaven and hell and suicide is a VIP ticket to hell basically. To people who said God won't punish us for killing ourselves... idk about that. God's supposed to be forgiving but if you ends one's life before its time (like murder or suicide) that's going against Him and He Doesn't Like It. Just an insight from my religion tho you don't have to believe this obviously

Reactions: greekyfish10
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
For me it's such a wide range of possibilities it isn't worth thinking about. There might not even be anything at all. i won't stress over something that I can't even imagine.

Reactions: all_pointless
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Mood I grew up with heaven and hell and suicide is a VIP ticket to hell basically. To people who said God won't punish us for killing ourselves... idk about that. God's supposed to be forgiving but if you ends one's life before its time (like murder or suicide) that's going against Him and He Doesn't Like It. Just an insight from my religion tho you don't have to believe this obviously
I could never reconcile with the image of a vengeful, punishing God. I see God as forgiving, loving, and consoling.

Reactions: draw a circle
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
While it is a valid fear, what helps me in my situation (so take for it what you will) is that I think of the life and existence as a finite state that one is in and that before our conception (or existence for the matter), we didn't exist and therefore, didn't feel anything prior to existing. Thus, based on my understanding and knowledge, I don't believe that there is an afterlife (from my perspective) and that I would just cease to exist, cease to perceive even the lack of perception, just complete nothingness. That kind of mindset has given me peace of mind going forward.

Reactions: all_pointless
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
I could never reconcile with the image of a vengeful, punishing God. I see God as forgiving, loving, and consoling.
My God is kinda easily offended by the way some of the people in my religion taught us about Him (I say SOME because those are the people I've encountered, but not everyone says the same thing). He is also all of those things you mentioned, but He won't hesitate to burn my sinning ass one inch beneath the sun when the end of the world comes. I want to not believe in my religion anymore but it's also said that changing religion/believing in something else other than our God is also an unforgivable sin so I'm kinda keeping my spot in heaven just in case lol

Reactions: greekyfish10
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
@draw a circle
You say yourself that all you know about god is something other people have told you, but how do you know it is correct then? How do you believe in something when everything about it is man-made. The bible was written by a man, everything you know about god is stuff people told you. How high is the possibility that this is exactly the truth and not stuff people just made up?

D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
@draw a circle
You say yourself that all you know about god is something other people have told you, but how do you know it is correct then? How do you believe in something when everything about it is man-made. The bible was written by a man, everything you know about god is stuff people told you. How high is the possibility that this is exactly the truth and not stuff people just made up?
That's the point, I don't know if it's true or not. I'm also not telling anyone to believe what my religion says, I'm only sharing because being anxious about afterlife is something I can relate too. I heard that when the holy book is written everyone was off their shits and everything is a mess so they made those rules according to whatever the fuck happened back then, so it might not be suitable to apply now. Personally, I prefer the belief of reincarnation. Sometimes I'm still scared about what will happen to my tainted soul once I'm dead, even though intellectually I know that nothing will come after death (maybe).

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
That's the point, I don't know if it's true or not.

This is where I'm at. I'm not totally convinced there's nothing but I have no proof of an afterlife. That's really what's keeping me around now that my mom is gone and my kid is 18.

• Hugs
Reactions: greekyfish10 and draw a circle