Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
I 100% understand this post. Both of my parents committed suicide, and I am certain that is why I am suicidal, myself. I'm almost 55 years old and have still not healed from that trauma. I don't know that a person ever does.
That said, if there are people in the child's life who can help them understand and guide them, that is beautiful. Some children have that kind of support. Some, however, do not, and it is one of the most traumatizing experiences a child can have. It makes my heart feel as if it will explode just talking about it.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, it's_all_a_game, demuic and 4 others
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
Omg so now that someone has gotten through, you shift to a new stance so you can remain Right. Now you want to instead exhort people to not have kids if they haven't already, or at least do some serious forward thinking. That's a different subject requiring a new flaming thread.

That was my argument from the start. If you already have a child, of course you cannot go back. At that point the only solution as I said is to somehow survive however you can and minimize the damage.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
It's something that should be accounted for when committing to the decision of having a child. That's one of the reasons why it's such a massive responsibility. You are literally gambling the whole existence of another human being, and with the stakes being so high the risk-benefit judgment should lean heavily towards caution. Yet most people don't give this a single thought, hence all the suffering we see
This is all true. And on a personal level, I wish the human race had never existed. But that's just a a-rational wish of mine, and is irrelevant considering that the human race has been so successful at imposing its will and presence on the earth. .

But, there are powerful biological drives, drives to reproduce and to have a family, which are genetically deep and override purely rational, mechanical, computational considerations about cost-benefit ratios.

Moreover, the philosophical and moral implications of having children is not exactly something which is discussed or taught in school, unless you specifically study philosophy/practical ethics/bioethics in college, which most people do not. Personally I think it should be discussed in civics class along with a number of other mostly unaddressed topics (because they're subversive or of zero utility to the system) or, better still, in obligatory basic philosophy/ethics classes for all children.

So to address your general point, I don't see why a parent's desire to ctb is any less valid or more 'immoral' than a non-parent. Sure, it's easy to make retroactive judgments and say they shouldn't have had kids in the first place, and that it's selfish etc.

But the fact is that humans are biological organisms just like any other animals. They will have children, unless there are draconian government policies in place which prohibit having children altogether.

Some humans that have children become depressed or fall victim to a number of other difficulties, which may cause them to become suicidal or actually ctb.
It's difficult on the children, but everything about existence is difficult.

It's actually selfish of anyone to force someone to live or to criminalize suicide just because they have already had children. It's their life and their decision to take. It's easy to judge, but that's only because of a lack of imagination.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
That was my argument from the start. If you already have a child, of course you cannot go back. At that point the only solution as I said is to somehow survive however you can and minimize the damage.

Original argument:

But if you have kids and want to kill yourself, I think that's simply not ethical. As if it wasn't enough to have brought them into a world where suffering is so commonplace, now you want to scar them forever by committing suicide. They had no say in this matter, you brought them here out of your own volition and you're 100% responsible for what happens to them.

You don't debate. You evade. Even if someone convinces you, you shift your stance so you can be the winner. That's not debating.

Last edited:
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
SO.......we should consider all factors.............but we cannot know the future?

We should be confident, our resolve to be alive won't fail...........Yet "you probably should feel extremely comfortable in your ability to give it the best shot you can"

I don't understand what you're saying, sorry. What I'm saying is that everyone should make an informed decision before having a kid. Of course we cannot know if some freak circumstance will happen, like you going literally insane and shooting yourself. But the commitment to not do that consciously should be there.

Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
I'm a teacher, as well, and even those children that were not born to me feel like mine. They are the only reason I've made it this far.
Also: I never had children of my own, and my history is the reason why. It did not feel responsible or safe to bring children into this world and into my mental health fiasco. And I do believe that many people don't take parenting seriously enough. That cannot be denied. We get all celebratory when someone has a baby, but we should be celebrating years later when they have proven they are strong parents. THAT is what we should celebrate. Pushing a baby out of your vagina, painful as it may be, is not the real accomplishment. Parenting is the real accomplishment.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, it's_all_a_game and demuic
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
You don't debate. You evade. Even if someone convinced you, you shift your stance so you can be the winner. That's not debating.

Can you explain how I contradicted myself? I am legitimately confused.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I don't understand what you're saying, sorry. What I'm saying is that everyone should make an informed decision before having a kid. Of course we cannot know if some freak circumstance will happen, like you going literally insane and shooting yourself. But the commitment to not do that consciously should be there.
i could be wrong, but i think they are saying youre being hypocritical

Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
Original argument:

You don't debate. You evade. Even if someone convinces you, you shift your stance so you can be the winner. That's not debating.
This is a difficult topic and one I am glad was brought up. In addition, I don't think "debate" is appropriate here. We are talking about children and the horrendous trauma that a parent's suicide causes. How does it seem even remotely appropriate to "debate"?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Your whole point here is to make people wrong. If one argument can be overcome, then you'll use another. It's not a debate, it's not an inquiry to gain understanding, it's you pointing down from the seat of judgment.

S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
But, there are powerful biological drives, drives to reproduce and to have a family, which are genetically deep and override purely rational, mechanical, computational considerations about cost-benefit ratios.

What you're saying is that people act irrationally because of their biological imperatives and don't usually make ethical decisions. That's precisely the problem I would like to be addressed. Of course I know posting on a suicide forum won't make a dent in human nature, but if I can change only one mind...

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Leaving crazy-making flame thread.

S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
Your whole point here is to make people wrong. If one argument can be overcome, then you'll use another. It's not a debate, it's not an inquiry to gain understanding, it's you pointing down from the seat of judgment.

I don't think I've changed my argument or contradicted myself. If you think I have, please show me how. Also you could certainly be less confrontational yourself...

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I don't think I've changed my argument or contradicted myself. If you think I have, please show me how. Also you could certainly be less confrontational yourself...
@checkouttime showed you that

Reactions: checkouttime
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020

"But if you have kids and want to kill yourself, I think that's simply not ethical" that is your quote.

Do you think its something you can just switch ON and OFF??

Like i don't have kids, so i guess in your books....... i'm allowed. but i have to be careful if i have sex ,and in noway should i ever contemplate ever having a child.

S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
i could be wrong, but i think they are saying youre being hypocritical

Why am I being hypocritical? Can you please be precise in pointing out how I contradicted myself, or said something in bad faith?

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Why am I being hypocritical? Can you please be precise in pointing out how I contradicted myself, or said something in bad faith?
again @checkouttime showed you that.

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
But if you have kids and want to kill yourself, I think that's simply not ethical. As if it wasn't enough to have brought them into a world where suffering is so commonplace, now you want to scar them forever by committing suicide. They had no say in this matter, you brought them here out of your own volition and you're 100% responsible for what happens to them.

I feel like I agree with you to an extent, that it's definitely unfair to bring a child into this world and traumatize them by committing suicide if they are not yet capable of taking care of themselves. At the same time, I still feel bad for parents that thought they were doing a good thing in the beginning, only to have some unexpected circumstances leave them hurting badly enough to want to die, after the kids are alive. I think it depends entirely on the situation whether or not it's ethical, since not all situations are the same.

Committing suicide in a setting where the child will find you afterwards would definitely be a horrible thing, but perhaps if a suicidal parent can find a way for the child to be taken care of properly by someone else (friend or family member) that is more capable of giving them a good life, then perhaps that would alleviate some of the problems it might cause. It would just take careful planning to ensure that CTB impacts the child(ren) as little as possible, which might relieve the parent from the burden of this ethical problem.

And I don't care about the counterargument that having a depressed parent is worse than no parent at all. People should think about this before deciding to have children. The only correct course of action in this case is to learn to fake it and endure the rest of your life while trying to minimize the damage.

I feel like you got more harsh reactions than you probably should have about your stance on this argument (unfortunately you seem to have been accused of being against all counterarguments, rather than just this one), but with that being said, I'm still curious as to why you have rejected this as a valid argument. Maybe in some cases it doesn't work, but I would have to say that in my particular case, I wouldn't want any child to endure my parenting. That could be almost as traumatic as me committing suicide might be.

To be honest, if I was a parent and CTB, my kids would probably be like, "Finally! I'm glad he's gone!" :pfff: (I am joking here, so don't take that too seriously.)

I also want to ask why you think a parent should fake it for the rest of their life. Surely when the children have reached adulthood, it won't matter as much. Even if they are still young, wouldn't it be possible to minimize the damage without giving up suicide? It would take careful planning obviously, but there must be a way to do it. I feel like the backlash you have been receiving is because it seems like you think parents should be punished by staying alive until they die naturally. If you didn't intend for it to sound that way, then maybe it would be a good idea to clear up the misunderstanding?

Ok I'm sorry that I misunderstood you. I completely disagree with this and I think you constructed a false equivalence. Stealing during a famine is obviously not compared to having a kid when not completely sure you won't kill yourself at some point. It's ludicrous to say the ethical considerations are the same. For one, the damage caused by stealing is outweighed by the benefit of keeping people alive. It's logical and almost everyone would agree with this. On the other hand, I've made the case that the benefit of killing yourself does not outweigh the damage done in that circumstance.

I don't think the intent was to say that stealing during a famine was the same as committing suicide as a parent. It just looked like a good example of someone sacrificing their ethical standards to alleviate suffering. If someone is suffering too much for living to be worth it, then I can understand someone committing suicide, regardless of how it might affect others when they get to a point where they can't handle it anymore.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game and demuic
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
Like i don't have kids, so i guess in your books....... i'm allowed. but i have to be careful if i have sex ,and in noway should i ever contemplate ever having a child.

...yes. Pretty much. What was your original plan, just having kids without a care in the world? If you are on a suicide forum now, I don't think you should ever have a child. Sorry if that hurts you.

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
I don't believe for a second that everyone here who has a child made a completely rational decision when deciding to have it.
How do you know that for sure?

Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
It is possible for parents to become depressed after they've had kids. You can't exactly predict whether you'll be affected by depression or other mental health disorders.
Absolutely true. But, there is a level of responsibility that comes with having children. That just cannot be denied. I would hope that if someone ended up in that kind of a "predicament", they would reach out to other healthy adults to help their children. Leave something for them. And, if they're old enough, hell, talk about it with them, even.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, GoodPersonEffed, Deleted member 19654 and 1 other person
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
now you want to scar them forever by committing suicide
How do you know it will have that effect? Everyone is different. Some might prevail and succeed despite having a parent who ctb'd.

You seem to have an a priori conviction which you are trying to protect with confirmation and cognitive biases.
At least, this is how it comes across.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Life_and_Death and Lost in a Dream
Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
How do you know that for sure?
No way to know that with certainty. But you know.......let's look honestly and objectively at parenting. I saw this woman the other day at the post office, for example, who just yelled at her child and grabbed him violently by the arm, yanking him up, because he was sitting on the floor. I could hardly take it. I swear I almost intervened. THAT woman? I do not feel any guilt for saying that she had no fucking idea what she was doing when she chose to have a child.

• Hugs
Reactions: esse_est_percipi, GoodPersonEffed and Deleted member 19654
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Absolutely true. But, there is a level of responsibility that comes with having children. That just cannot be denied. I would hope that if someone ended up in that kind of a "predicament", they would reach out to other healthy adults to help their children. Leave something for them. And, if they're old enough, hell, talk about it with them, even.

Talk about suicide with your children???

Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
How do you know it will have that effect? Everyone is different. Some might prevail and succeed despite having a parent who ctb'd.

You seem to have an a priori conviction which you are trying to protect with confirmation and cognitive biases.
At least, this is how it comes across.
Talk about suicide with your children???
Sure, if they are old enough and you're about to DO IT???? Hell, yes. What, you think just doing it with no explanation or conversation ~ if your children are old enough for that ~ is a better choice?

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Postpartum depression is a well-known issue which I'm sure most people are aware of before deciding to commit to the massive decision of bringing a person into this world
Just a question: do you think that every single person should be aware of every single medical problem, disease, illness, existential dilemma etc before they are allowed to have children?

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019

Sure, if they are old enough and you're about to DO IT???? Hell, yes. What, you think just doing it with no explanation or conversation ~ if your children are old enough for that ~ is a better choice?
It could be a conversation on the topic, in general, and how someone could end up feeling that taking their life was the only remaining option. At least, educate your children. Again, if they are old enough to handle the topic.
That said, if a person is horrified by the idea of DISCUSSING suicide with their children but not horrified with the idea of DOING IT to their children? That is some screwy logic, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game and ShttyChicken
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
...yes. Pretty much. What was your original plan, just having kids without a care in the world? If you are on a suicide forum now, I don't think you should ever have a child. Sorry if that hurts you.

I don't want kids and never have, I don't particularly care for them at all, but i won't judge others who do have them and i know nothing about.....

Aww thanks for being thoughtful. but don't worry, you could never hurt me with anything you said :smiling:

Status
Not open for further replies.