Kore

Kore

Lonely in a room full of people…
Nov 2, 2023
Had a shitty day yesterday, mentally at least. Real low. Managed to feel kinda peaceful in the evening finally, put on a movie etc. Told myself tomorrow would be better, I'll push away the bad thoughts immediately after I wake up.

Didn't plan on the dreams though. Guess I never do.

Anyone else have dreams so sad you wake with tears in your eyes?

I guess the most annoying thing is that the dreams themselves are not sad. They're usually of old friends, maybe ex partners, but I'm almost always happy in them. And it's heartbreaking. Because those times are gone, and I'm trying so hard to forget them. I don't want to remember the pain that comes with the loss of those people and memories.

Some nights I dream of nothing at all, just blackness for a few hours till I wake again. I much prefer those nights.

• Hugs
Reactions: doormat25, get.some.sleep, Forever Sleep and 2 others
TheBoyWhoLived

TheBoyWhoLived

homo sapiens
Nov 20, 2023
In fact, every night your brain enters the REM phase, where dreams occur, and consequently every night you have at least a few dreams, you just don't remember them. I recommend that you get out of bed as soon as you wake up and engage in some mentally challenging activity, such as solving math tasks or reading scientific publications. Note that in the case of dreams with uninteresting content, we usually forget them within a few minutes after waking up. In the case of dreams with unpleasant content, we can forget them similarly quite quickly if we engage the brain in something other than memorizing them.

Reactions: Kore
D

dunedindwell

Jun 19, 2021
Have you ever had suicidal ideation dreams or woken up to an anxiety attack? My experience is quite distinct from a nightmare or something similar, it's been very specifically depression derived or something. Doesn't happen often, thankfully, but can actually be quite relieving; coming out of an abnormally depressed physiology, almost the opposite of waking up and feeling the depression set in to thought and mood.

Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
Have you ever had suicidal ideation dreams or woken up to an anxiety attack? My experience is quite distinct from a nightmare or something similar, it's been very specifically depression derived or something. Doesn't happen often, thankfully, but can actually be quite relieving; coming out of an abnormally depressed physiology, almost the opposite of waking up and feeling the depression set in to thought and mood.
First, welcome! and thanks for spending your first message on offering me some comfort - I appreciate that :hug:

Second, that is some useful advice tbf, thanks for sharing. I guess you're right, the nights I don't remember much is simply that - not remembering much.

I guess the waking up to mental challenges will be tricky, since I usually find waking up as the hardest time of day for me. It's usually the first moment the bad thoughts come through. Wake up wondering if I should just go back to sleep for a week cause what's the point. That said, I guess it'll also be the most important time to tackle those thoughts.

I might give it a go, thanks again

• Hugs
Reactions: TheBoyWhoLived
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I've not had this, no, i don't often have dreams that could be considered 'nightmares' as such, or ever wake in fear/panic. While I don't get an 'attack' (i.e. panic attack, hard to breathe etc), I do feel immediate anxiety almost every morning as I realise I have to get through another day. The questions of how i'm gonna stay afloat, what is the point, etc, flood through my mind basically first thing each morning.

My dreams are usually adrenaline filled somehow - running away from something or trying to get to something - or are very close to actual memories from my past. Like I said in the OP, they're not even usuaully 'sad' in and of themselves, but the desperate nostalgia i feel for them hurts with that physical emotional pain. Feels like a... sour lance through your chest/head, you probaby know what I mean.

I've also not had dreams of suicide as such, though have had dreams (sporadically in my life, not often) of dying some way or another. And, as these dreams tend to go, usually wake up at the moment before/of the end.

Reactions: dunedindwell
TheBoyWhoLived

TheBoyWhoLived

homo sapiens
Nov 20, 2023
I guess the waking up to mental challenges will be tricky, since I usually find waking up as the hardest time of day for me. It's usually the first moment the bad thoughts come through. Wake up wondering if I should just go back to sleep for a week cause what's the point. That said, I guess it'll also be the most important time to tackle those thoughts.
It doesn't necessarily have to be algebra or quantum physics ;-) Simply occupy your attention with something immediately upon awakening, so that you don't spend more time thinking about the content of the dream. More than that brief moment after waking. If you manage to do this every day, you will quickly develop a habit that can contribute to fewer unpleasant dreams. Your brain will know that you don't expect to remember the content of the dream, but on the contrary, you want to occupy yourself with something completely different after waking up. Our subconscious, I know from autopsy, often helps in such cases.

All the best.

• Love