Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
From Clumsy Ignorance to Criminal Activity
In November, 2022, Tantacul posted on this website, ostensibly to express grief over an underage member who took his own life. I sympathised with his situation at the time because I happen to agree with some legitimate criticisms of the site. Simply, I believe it can and should be made better in light of the seriousness of the subject matter. However, it was soon apparent that Tantacrul was not serious about engaging respectfully and he was subsequently banned.

He immediately began plotting his hard-hitting vengeance. Subsequently, he used the full might of his substantial YouTube platform to release a video with the intention of attacking our community. The many flaws of his misleading narrative have been covered elsewhere.

Statistics as of the Time of Writing
As of June, 2024, the video has 5.4 million views and is still being actively promoted on Tantacrul's main page.

According to two separate polls conducted on this website, a total of 1,911 respondents reported being sent to this website as a direct result of Tantacrul's video.

Note: there is the possibility of certain individuals responding to both polls, which would reduce the number below 1,911. However, it is also statistically true that the overwhelming majority of people do not participate in such polls and may not even sign up as members when using the website. I do not have access to the website data that would show the overwhelming correlation between the Tantacrul video and increased website traffic here, but this would be the real smoking gun.

The next problem is that teenagers and young adults are Tantacrul's primary viewer demographic. Hence, this was a massive case of Streisand Effect.

Blood-stained Money
Thus, a stupid man with a cult following has made a highly profitable video purportedly to avenge one of his users committing suicide and/or his own ban from the website. The video has evidently led thousands, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of young people here and substantially altered the Sanctioned Suicide demographics.

The purported fantasy of censoring the free speech of suicidal people on the internet is an unrealistic solution, and information on methods is widely available elsewhere, including Wikipedia. However, heavily promoting these communities, even under the guise of defaming them, is clearly irresponsible to any reasonable person.

There is no way of knowing whether dozens or hundreds of children will have died as a direct result of Tantacrul's money-making ego trip. But each one is a real person with a real family. By his own logic, this website 'causes' suicide. So why would he not retract the video when he can see that is sending streams of people here?

Why am I speaking out?
I am an older person who has been on this website since the earlier days when the typical user was in an advanced stage of suicidal ideation. This community was not particularly easy to find but was a smaller, more intimate community of unequivocally suicidal people.

I have interacted with a selection of newer members. In my experience, many of them are youth who have experienced hardships such as dysfunctional families, mental health concerns and lack of direction in life. My opinion is that most of the struggling young people Tantacrul sent here need and want mentoring so they can begin to unpack the grievances of their life situations, not to be sent here to end their lives.

As someone with a strong parental instinct, I am disgusted by Tantacrul's immoral conduct.

Tantacrul, the Butcher of YouTube
Given society's status quo, suicidal people must hide in fear of involuntary mental health treatment, incarceration, legal ramifications for possessing substances like Nembutal and more. I am no exception. Our lack of voice makes us an easy target for bullies. However, to wider society, this should not excuse Tantacrul's mass-promotion of suicide content to children and teenagers.

If even one parent affected by Tantacrul's reckless conduct is willing to take legal action, I have done my best with this post to share information that would help you:
1) Persuade YouTube to delete remove the offending video which has been proven beyond reasonable doubt to be irresponsible and deadly.
2) Prosecute Tantacrul for any and all possible depraved indifference murders, and perhaps his profits should be going to families of the deceased instead.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Parademic, silentnights56, another_creature and 23 others
Yarani

Yarani

When I deserve it the least, I need love the most.
Mar 29, 2024
I do not have access to the website data that would show the overwhelming correlation between the Tantacrul video and increased website traffic here, but this would be the real smoking gun
Date of Youtube video: 20.01.2023

• Informative
Reactions: Pluto and DeIetedUser4739
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I think people will find the site regardless.

Media sites and YouTube guys will cover us frequently as we are one of the top 3 suicide sites globally.

His video and other media attention is a good thing in the long term I think.

They underline the massive under investment in suicide prevention and recovery services in the west.

If governments invested in treatment, people wouldn't be driven to suicide in the first place.

Reactions: Pluto, prone2fury, ConfusedClouds and 3 others
Q

Qimaster

Jun 18, 2024

Media sites and YouTube guys will cover us frequently as we are one of the top 3 suicide sites globally.

They underline the massive under investment in suicide prevention and recovery services in the west.

If governments invested in treatment, people wouldn't be driven to suicide in the first place.
But what about people that do not want to continue their treatment? (a lot of treatments involve a lot of suffering with no guranteed results or back up plan in case the treatment back fires). Or people who have decided that they do not want to live with constant treatment?

No matter how much the government invests, there will always be doctors and other such care givers that abuse their powers. In the case of most mental illnesses people are not allowed to deny treatment. Most of them cannot prove the abuse they suffered in such situations either. What about those people who have suffered abuse from the same system that was "designed to save" them?

I thought most people in this site agreed that suicide is not something that always has to be "prevented". What do you think?

Reactions: Hollowman, Pluto and kvsvenky100
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

Haven't you noticed the shift though- in users? So many seem very young now- since that video. Some openly came here out of curiosity. Before, it seemed far more likely people would find this place when they were already actively suicidal and looking for methods.

I do agree with @Pluto . I personally love this place and value it immensely. That said, I'd have to agree with the criticism that it is an echo chamber for pessimism largely. It's not the most balanced arena.

Plus, I'm not convinced it is all that healthy for someone who is very impressionable or lost in their own depression. Not sure if that makes sense?

I'd like to hope that people coming here have a really firm grasp on their own ideas and how outside things influence them. That's not to say all young people are impressionable and all older people not but it has to be broard strokes when it comes to things like age restrictions.

I'm not sure we have that broader outlook when we are young. I think it's easy to get caught up and obsessed by things we get in to. Things seem more overwhelming when we are young (in my experience.)

The sad thing is, I think so many of the younger members here are desperate for support and recognition. It's clearly lacking everywhere else in their world. I think many people do find that here but few of us are in a fit or strong enough position to be able to really help them in a positive way. We don't even have enough strength for ourselves! So, even if a person could be helped, I'm not sure they will be- in terms of recovery.

So- again- I agree with Pluto. It was absolutely wreckless to point a largely young audience in this direction. I feel so sorry for our mods too who no doubt- had a massive influx of minors that they had to try and identify and deny membership to.

Really, it's the same for all media pieces that actually identify the site- or- do little to conceal it. I don't think they think through the repurcussions. I found this place via The New York Times article. Personally, I'm grateful to them but I wonder how many people are effectively being sent to their death!

I think it's reasonable to say that for a percentage of people, they have likely wanted to suicide for some time but are put off by the more brutal but well known methods- eg. hanging, jumping, train, slashing wrists. You do have to wonder that- if they hadn't discovered something like SN or inert gas, would they have done it? Of course, they can discover that elsewhere too but, sites such as this make a hopefully peaceful suicide a more accessible option.

Obviously, I'm pro choice so- I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't really like the idea of children finding out it could potentially be that easy though. (Even though, it isn't always easy to aquire the substances.) It's a cruel thing but the fear of a painful/ risky attempt is likely the main thing putting people off. Seeing as we have no way of knowing who is accessing the site and really, just how sound of mind they are- it's utterly wreckless to advertise it on YouTube!

Really though- to my mind, so much fault lies with society. To my mind, assisted suicide should be legalised and properly regulated to make sure people are of sound mind if they want out. Plus, there ought to be other places people can talk about suicide, depression and their struggles where they can be properly listened to and supported and not fear being sectioned. I believe- if these people really cared, they 'd be putting their efforts in to that.

• Informative
Reactions: Pluto and AvwJ
Death is my goal

Death is my goal

pathetic failure
Aug 25, 2022
nobody cares about tantacrul
it's annoying seeing his ass mentioned almost every time i come here. can we move on?