Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
In what ways have 'cancel culture' and political corectness lead to a cultural and societal decline?

Imo cancl cultre jst breeds mob mentlty & closs dwn convrsatn - espclly whn out-rge spreds s/ quckly ovr th/ internt w/o nuance & whre misnfrmatn = rife

Ppl r smetmes jst a-hles - includng th/ gd 1nes & ppl shld nt b livng sanitisd versns of thmslves bcse of fears tht 1 tste-lss jke cld ruin thr whle creer

Ppl lk @ flms in th/ 2000s & earlr & tlk abt hw problmatc thy r - espclly comdies bt bck thn ppl knw tht thy wre jkes & undrtsd th/ contxt of thm withn sciety

E.g ppl tlk abt hw Tropc Thundr or Blazng Sddles cld 'nevr b mde 2dy' whch persnlly slf thnk = ridiculs bcse 'blck-fce' in Tropc Thundr ws usd as satire of methd actng & th/ us of 'N' wrd in Blazng Sddles ws reflectn of th/ smll-minddnss of racsts

imo 2 mny thngs r takn out of contxt nwadays s/ tht ppl cn b out-ragd b/ thm & undr-lyng msgs r cmpletly lst

Slf also belve howevr tht bcse convrsatn = becmng v sanitisd tht in futre yrs comdy wll jst gt mre 'edgy' & thre wll b anothr wve of 'shockng' shws or ppl bcse sciety wll b collctvly frstr8td wth havng t/ slf-monitr s/ mch

Slf am gld tht mny thngs hve changd snce th/ 2000s - e.g callng uncool thngs 'gay' etc = crnge nwdays & rghtly s/ bt slf thnk tht thre shld stll b mre nuance invlvd whn ppl shw thr flaws or xpress thmslves

Jst persnl opinn

• Love
Reactions: NumbItAll and Adûnâi
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I am still mad that Disney acts like the EU never happened now.
What is EU in this context?
To me Heir to the empire will always be episode 7.
Also I am not following what do you mean by that "heir to the empire" and did you like episode 7 ?
This is a little depressing to look at but look at all these people actually paying attention to the world around them nobody is looking at their phone and you can even see flip phones being advertised.
Yeah it looks almost surreal but also gives me a comforting feeling almost home like. To me today´s world feels like a whole other world or planet we are on but on that video it looks like we´re back in the right world/planet/dimension. Sometimes this modern world and the things happening feels so unreal that it can feel like we are the alternate dimension/universe.

Reactions: Hikikomori1
Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
It was also the golden age of the internet with Myspace early YouTube Newgrounds AOL and MSN and that is an era we can never get back.
Not you about to send me into a spiral of nostalgia!

Omg honestly though in my opinion living in the past is kind of cringe anyway, but the 2000s? Really?
Well, it seemed far less chaotic and cringe than today's age of social media with its parasocial existences, empty conversations and pseudo-intellectual Reddit debates, idea-contagions and echo-chambers, and every other person having a gender identity crisis or a mental disorder.

The internet used to be fun, it used to feel like you could truly connect with people.

Now everyone's just a depressed pod person coming to the table with their ideological baggage and rage.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi and Hikikomori1
Dysgenic Pup

Dysgenic Pup

A canine that’s not so heavenly.
Sep 18, 2021
Another instance of "the decade of my adolescence was the last good decade; everything went downhill afterwards".

"Kids nowadays will never get to experience the good ol' days of the plague."
- Some person in the late 1300s, probably

Last edited:
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
What is EU in this context?

The EU used to mean the expanded universe meaning the larger Star Wars canon outside the movies.

In 2014 Disney de-canonized every piece of Star Wars media that was created before 2012 and the George Lucas version of Star Wars is now called Star Wars Legends.
Also I am not following what do you mean by that "heir to the empire" and did you like episode 7 ?

No i hated the sequels also Heir to the empire was a book released in 1991 as the official continuation after Return of the jedi along with two other books Dark force rising and The last command these were the original sequel trilogy and are also called the Thrawn' trilogy.

Thrawn trilogy
Yeah it looks almost surreal but also gives me a comforting feeling almost home like. To me today´s world feels like a whole other world or planet we are on but on that video it looks like we´re back in the right world/planet/dimension. Sometimes this modern world and the things happening feels so unreal that it can feel like we are the alternate dimension/universe.

I know what you mean.

• Love
Reactions: TheGoodGuy and Adûnâi
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Another instance of "the decade of my adolescence was the last good decade; everything went downhill afterwards".

Ha 100%

Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
I caught the tail-end of that ancient time, watching the light-saber like-dislike ratio YouTube, reading Wikipedia which my teachers were wary of, reading DotA guides online (as opposed to Discords), and following discussions on the forums... by Russian Tolkien-ists from ca. 2003, a full decade earlier. And of course, half a decade before the phones ruined the Internet with their abominable mobile UI.

Before YouTube reset its comment chains. Before TotalBiscuit died. Before Dota2 even had a ranked mode, or Twitch its female streamers.

On the other hand, politically, the situation in the 2000s would have been suffocating for me. The Orange Revolution? Obama? I would probably have been massively disappointed by the economic crisis not leading to America's collapse. And the Occupy Movement? The last great boomer uprising? What a hilarious era!

The 2010s were a watershed, between PC and mobile, between Al Qaeda and ISIS (xd), between RTS and MOBA (yikes), between forums to Reddit and Discord.

I don't consider cancel culture to be an issue - it's actually weirdly satisfying to see America go even deeper into insanity. After all, its entire history is merely chasing that one ancient crucified prophet, Yeshua from Galilee. Imagine if their accursed power turns to sand in their hands because "trans lesbians are lesbians" causes them to implode! I'm trying to imagine Usama bin Laden being confused, and it puts a smile on my face. The heart of any religion is a mystery indeed.

I thought you would say "the last good days _before_ the plague". Because you know, they existed. Barbara Tuckman even wrote an immensely popular book on that topic.

But personally, my golden age would be either the 1900s (in European reckoning, 1901-10, of which Stefan Zweig wrote a book), or the 1970s USSR (the final abode of the Faustian spirit). This is the song I discovered yesterday from that old epoch that Soviet boomers apparently like. Feels like archaeology.

Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
James Gunn and Gina carano are two examples,

Also Kevin Hart had to apologize for edgy jokes he made in 2010.
These are millionaires - they lost a job (at most), not their jobs, and certainly not their livelyhoods. But this argument is pointless, and below my dignity; you're clearly just parroting right wing talking points without giving them any thought.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
The EU used to mean the expanded universe meaning the larger Star Wars canon outside the movies.

In 2014 Disney de-canonized every piece of Star Wars media that was created before 2012 and the George Lucas version of Star Wars is now called Star Wars Legends.

No i hated the sequels also Heir to the empire was a book released in 1991 as the official continuation after Return of the jedi along with two other books Dark force rising and The last command these were the original sequel trilogy and are also called the Thrawn' trilogy.

View attachment 124129

I know what you mean.
I didn´t know any of that, but have been considering on and off if I should buy the books of Star Wars since I follow a guy on YouTube called Star Wars Theory and am a very big Star Wars fan but with all the books I don´t know where to start and the debate of what is canon and not is confusing too because if Disney owns the stuff then objectively what they say is and is not canon is up to them but to me only George Lucas´ meaning matters when it comes to what is canon and what is not. He also should never have sold out Disney ruined Star Wars and it was his creation I could never imagine selling out such an imaginative universe not even for all those billions it´s not like he needed them he was rich enough to have whatever his heart desired it feels like if you could imagine J.K Rowling selling the rights to Harry Potter to Disney it would be so wrong to sell your very own imaginative creation it´s a legacy beyond anything else. But talking about Harry Potter and the present day I really didn´t feel any awe or excitement over The Fantastic Beast franchises and haven´t even seen the last although I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in the role of Grindelwald but didn´t like The autistic Scamander or Chad Dumbledore just felt weird to me but that could be a personal opinion.

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I didn´t know any of that, but have been considering on and off if I should buy the books of Star Wars since I follow a guy on YouTube called Star Wars Theory and am a very big Star Wars fan but with all the books I don´t know where to start and the debate of what is canon and not is confusing too because if Disney owns the stuff then objectively what they say is and is not canon is up to them but to me only George Lucas´ meaning matters when it comes to what is canon and what is not. He also should never have sold out Disney ruined Star Wars and it was his creation I could never imagine selling out such an imaginative universe not even for all those billions it´s not like he needed them he was rich enough to have whatever his heart desired it feels like if you could imagine J.K Rowling selling the rights to Harry Potter to Disney it would be so wrong to sell your very own imaginative creation it´s a legacy beyond anything else. But talking about Harry Potter and the present day I really didn´t feel any awe or excitement over The Fantastic Beast franchises and haven´t even seen the last although I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in the role of Grindelwald but didn´t like The autistic Scamander or Chad Dumbledore just felt weird to me but that could be a personal opinion.

Disney re-sells original canon stuff with a legends banner on it .

I would recommend starting with Shadows of the empire since that takes place in between episodes 5 and 6 it is both a book and video game with a soundtrack.

I like Star Wars Theory too i really dislike the pro-Disney Star Wars channels like Star Wars Explained The Knights of Melvin is also great also Matt Wilkins who makes videos on the old canon too.

Also here is a fan made version of Heir to the empire which is not completed yet but still very good.

This video is a video going over what the EU was and the history/current state of it.

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Disney re-sells original canon stuff with a legends banner on it .

I would recommend starting with Shadows of the empire since that takes place in between episodes 5 and 6 it is both a book and video game with a soundtrack.

I like Star Wars Theory too i really dislike the pro-Disney Star Wars channels like Star Wars Explained The Knights of Melvin is also great also Matt Wilkins who makes videos on the old canon too.

Also here is a fan made version of Heir to the empire which is not completed yet but still very good.

This video is a video going over what the EU was and the history/current state of it.

I think the fan made stuff is a million times better than any Star Wars movie Disney has made, like I assume you have seen the Star Wars Reimagined SC 38 that shit gives chills and looks so freaking good it´s way better than the original and also some other fan made short films of Star Wars like the ones Star Wars theory has made they´re so good and then he gets punished by Disney while he actually makes some good short films and they produce PC garbage.

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I think the fan made stuff is a million times better than any Star Wars movie Disney has made, like I assume you have seen the Star Wars Reimagined SC 38 that shit gives chills and looks so freaking good it´s way better than the original and also some other fan made short films of Star Wars like the ones Star Wars theory has made they´re so good and then he gets punished by Disney while he actually makes some good short films and they produce PC garbage.

So in the original canon Han and Leia had three kids Jacen Jaina and Anakin solo.

Jacen solo ended up turning to the dark-side and becoming Darth Caedus and killing Luke Skywalkers wife.

9j7yd1zs5dj91

Below is a fan film of a scene from one of the book series called Legacy of the force.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi