• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Dear all

My dad last night was suggesting that maybe my depression is because I am vegetarian. This led to me googling, and finding out about taurine which is found mainly/only in animal products. I found something saying to take 1000 mg 3 x a day and have bought some. So far, so very helpful (day 1). There is quite a bit of research out there including a few links below. There is better research out there, but here are the links I just found to share:

*Taurine is lower in those with Bipolar disorder ' Bipolar disorder has also been specifically linked to a taurine deficiency. Taurine is an amino acid made in the liver and creates a calming effect in the brain. A taurine deficiency may lead to more manic episodes in a person with bipolar disorder.'

*https://main.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/782/Ten_Benefits_of_Taurine.aspx

*https://theconversation.com/what-is-taurine-and-how-can-it-improve-psychosis-68747

ashedout

ashedout

Jan 22, 2021
Thanks for tip! If you aren't already, you can look into supplementing vitamins D3, K2, B12, Iodine, and Omega-3 DHA/EPA to help support your health (mental and physical) on your veggie journey. You can find most of them in a good vegan/plant based protein powder :)

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I actually supplemented taurine for the last couple of weeks and instantly felt a bit better...then I had a week I left it out because I suspected it might mess with my sleeping rhythm...reading all of this information I might start again though - thanks!

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
@stygal the article below suggests timings to take Taurine. It says before bed. I am taking 1000 mg 3x a day though. For me it is waking me up - I'm not as fatigued as I was (which was very fatigued) so that is a little relief for now.

There's an article about the role of Amino Acids in Bipolar Disorder and Mental Health I posted elsewhere - I'm now pretty sure Amino Acids are good whether or not it's Bipolar:

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
@stygal the article below suggests timings to take Taurine. It says before bed. I am taking 1000 mg 3x a day though. For me it is waking me up - I'm not as fatigued as I was (which was very fatigued) so that is a little relief for now.

There's an article about the role of Amino Acids in Bipolar Disorder and Mental Health I posted elsewhere - I'm now pretty sure Amino Acids are good whether or not it's Bipolar:

Wow, that's really helpful information. Thanks again, I just took it after I woke up with the rest of my supplements.

Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Thanks! I hope I'll remember to buy taurine the next time I'm shopping. I should get paper and write it down and put it somewhere I can see it.

I went and took fishliveroil and raejuusto, but forgot the paper of course.

Okay, now I wrote it down.

Seeweed seems to also have taurine. I used to eat miso soup, I should start it again.

Reactions: LittleJem
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Taurin is in the energy drinks I used to get. I was looking specially for taurine on the descriptions. Not sure how much, or is it only because of the taurine, but en. Drinks most times trigger a short burst of manic episode/hours to days/ for me. Coffee and sugar don't have that effect.
After the taurine mania I always went fast into depression.

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem