tommyhalpinkelly

tommyhalpinkelly

Nov 21, 2018
This is one of the most hypocritical things I've discovered suicide and society. Suicide is legal though a majority speak ill of it and never believe it's justifiable unless in cases of terminal illness.

Homicide however, doesn't receive the same stigma. Though illegal with many exceptions, one can argue that the social support for it (believing it's justified) is always there. For example a father killing a pedophile etc...Even when it's illegal the social support can overturn the legal status. As well as that many wars are technically illegal (Iraq War) but get a lot of social support and are never questioned.

How can this be?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, FML0000000, Deafsn0w and 4 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I've also noticed the same thing with mass shooters. People romanticize them and feel sorry for them. So people stand up for mass shooters and day, "they were bullied" or "they were mentally ill" as if that's an excuse to kill innocent people. But if a mentally ill and bullied person kills themselves, then apparently they're weak and selfish. It's true that some people do condemn mass shooters and some people do have empathy for those who killed themselves, but it seems to be more socially acceptable to go on a mass shooting than to kill yourself.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Justwantout, Deafsn0w and 3 others
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
This is one of the most hypocritical things I've discovered suicide and society. Suicide is legal though a majority speak ill of it and never believe it's justifiable unless in cases of terminal illness.

Homicide however, doesn't receive the same stigma. Though illegal with many exceptions, one can argue that the social support for it (believing it's justified) is always there. For example a father killing a pedophile etc...Even when it's illegal the social support can overturn the legal status. As well as that many wars are technically illegal (Iraq War) but get a lot of social support and are never questioned.

How can this be?
All good points. Also, while suicide isn't technically a crime (assisting someone is), a failed attempt, if reported to any medical personnel or law enforcement, will guarantee a mandatory, court-ordered inpatient psychiatric hospitalization. In most cases, it's tantamount to a jail sentence and not much more pleasant.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Justwantout, TAW122 and 4 others
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
I believe social acceptability is determined in the laws and not in the mind, any murder is going to be dealt with harshly, any suicide attempt is never charged at least in the USA and you would likely not be held over 3 days in psyche unless you had insurance for it. The psyche of society is completely anonymous now, nobody is willing to divert there eyes from a web page on there phone, Elon musk has it about right we have become the Borg, a collective consciousness of the mind, you will be perceived as insane if any independent thought against the collective is detected and you certainly won't be getting likes on Twitter, a village of idiots.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, 2 be or not and 3 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I think religion has a big part to play in this, being told life is a gift and we are all gods children etc, creates a guilt complex.
Many people also believe it's a sin and you'll be condemned to suffer for eternity etc.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, Kingkelly and 4 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
I forget that most religions have after life. But I worry what "nullness" would feel like too sometimes. Infinite

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, Lifeisatrap and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I forget tgat most religions have after life. But I worry what "nullness" would feel like too sometimes. Infinite
I don't believe in an afterlife, just think of it as what it was like before you were born.
You didn't exist prior to birth and you won't exist after death.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, 2 be or not and 2 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
I don't believe in an afterlife, just think of it as what it was like before you were born.
You didn't exist prior to birth and you won't exist after death.
But in theory its an invisible "emergent property" that we know nothing about

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Existence only happens in our minds, all that we perceive and experience is a result of consciousness.
The idea of an afterlife comes from religion and man's belief that he is above nature and not part of it.
If there is to be an afterlife then it should apply to any living organism.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, gingerplum and 2 others
L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
Yeah, soldiers going oversees to kill foreigners; "Heroes"! Soldiers killing themselves; "An epdemic that needs to be prevented!"

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, gingerplum and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
There is much that we do not understand about nature and never will. The smell of fresh cut grass is a distress signal, trees give off distress signals when under threat, and the behaviours of many animals still remains a mystery. We are a product of nature and subject to the same laws that govern every living thing. Take peace in the fact that the earth won't be here in five billion years time.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, gingerplum and 2 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
How can this be?
Big fat A-holes and the people they manipulate for their selfish desires. They have taken over the world. Bill gates was wrong. The meak are f**&ed

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and Deafsn0w
K

Kingkelly

Mage
Dec 3, 2018
I think religion has a big part to play in this, being told life is a gift and we are all gods children etc, creates a guilt complex.
Many people also believe it's a sin and you'll be condemned to suffer for eternity etc.
Yes religion plays a big part in everything esp life and death but if your suffering now it is like hell to some so it can't be any worse in the afterlife or can it? I think if God really loved us why would so many suffer why would he let bad things happen to people like us.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Johnnythefox and Deafsn0w
S

stargazer

Arcanist
Nov 19, 2018
I take a "who cares anymore" mindset. I mean, really, 'you' or 'one' is there own highest authority. Screw what others think or will think. I'm almost out (I hope) as are others on here.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap, Johnnythefox and 1 other person