• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

S

Slough Walker

Apr 22, 2024
Healing from trauma almost always involves sadness, grief, and despair. Over the past week, I've been healing from the realization that my childhood was stolen from me by my family of origin. This brought me to a place of very painful grieving. The mid-1980s to mid-1990s was, in my opinion, the last really good time to grow up in the USA. I'd be happy to be wrong - I'd prefer that childhoods in the present be better than childhoods in the past. Regardless, what should have been a beautiful childhood of treasured memories was stolen away by my family of origin. Unfortunately, nothing soothes the grief of that loss. I've self-medicated with retail therapy, purchasing nostalgic items that remind me of that era, but that only reinforces the sense of loss. I'm just not the type of person who will fantasize a happy story. The sad story is the real story. Does anyone else pine for a period in their childhood? Do you fantasize about doing it over with different parents?

• Hugs
Reactions: glitteryaliens, Lostandlooking and lemonbunny
lemonbunny

lemonbunny

daydreaming the pain away ☆.。.:*・°
Sep 9, 2023
The sad story is the real story.
facts tho.

i feel like i was in survival mode for most of my childhood so i never rlly thought about it, but as an adult i grieve the youth i could have had.

• Hugs
Reactions: Slough Walker and Lostandlooking