qasawaqada

qasawaqada

Dec 7, 2021
I bought 1kg of sodium nitrite about two years ago. It arrived in a sealed plastic bag and has remained unopened since it arrived by mail in May 2022. There is a 'best before' date of 31 July 2022; from what I've read however it would seem that sodium nitrite can last several years if stored well. Does anyone have information about how long SN remains viable for use as a suicide method after the date of manufacture?

Reactions: lynnschronicles
A

anxiousguineapig

May 4, 2022
As long as the bag is sealed I would expect it to last for years. it may gradually break down/lose potency but that would probably be on the scale of losing a few % over several years since it is a reasonably stable chemical. If opened it will react with the oxygen in air and then the shelf life would go down significantly, keeping it away from oxygen is the main requirement for long-term storage.

Reactions: rozeske and lynnschronicles
Upvote 1
qasawaqada

qasawaqada

Dec 7, 2021
As long as the bag is sealed I would expect it to last for years. it may gradually break down/lose potency but that would probably be on the scale of losing a few % over several years since it is a reasonably stable chemical. If opened it will react with the oxygen in air and then the shelf life would go down significantly, keeping it away from oxygen is the main requirement for long-term storage.
Thanks for the information - much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: anxiousguineapig
Upvote 0
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
You can do the aquarium test and here's the thread were the stability of SN is being discussed.

Reactions: rozeske and lynnschronicles
Upvote 1
qasawaqada

qasawaqada

Dec 7, 2021
You can do the aquarium test and here's the thread were the stability of SN is being discussed.

Thanks for the link - very helpful.

Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Also, as long as it didn't see extreme temperatures it should be fine. Contrary to what one might think, plastic is not 100% protective. The plastic\nylon polymers have wide enough gaps between them for the passage of small clusters of molecules in the micro, or nano, level. In other words air will penetrate the protective plastic covering over time, particularly as the plastic degrades over time, as all things do. I'd certainly test the SN before using. If funds are available, I'd even consider sending some off to a lab for testing.

Reactions: rozeske, pthnrdnojvsc and Praestat_Mori
Upvote 0
qasawaqada

qasawaqada

Dec 7, 2021
Also, as long as it didn't see extreme temperatures it should be fine. Contrary to what one might think, plastic is not 100% protective. The plastic\nylon polymers have wide enough gaps between them for the passage of small clusters of molecules in the micro, or nano, level. In other words air will penetrate the protective plastic covering over time, particularly as the plastic degrades over time, as all things do. I'd certainly test the SN before using. If funds are available, I'd even consider sending some off to a lab for testing.
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Upvote 0