• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Circles

Circles

There's a difference between existing and living.
Sep 3, 2018
Apologies beforehand I am extremely anxious about this. I have SN that's over 4 years old by now and yes I did almost everything besides using glass jars as far as I have read to make sure it's sealed, bagged, put up in a dark cool space, etc. I have two that I haven't opened and one in which I did about 2 years ago from my last suicide attempt but sealed that one though it's not guaranteed to be still good since from what I've read SN when opened lasts for only 3 months. I've spent the past day re-reading everything about this to make sure and now I'm even more unsure because I cannot find anything that actually supports the claim that SN is indefinite and basically lasts forever or at least much longer than the 3 year expiration date. And as far as I have learned the only reason people are believing this is because regular table salt by itself can last forever and somehow that is enough to back up the claim.

I found these posts from other sites that mention it but again I still couldn't find anything to back up the claim:

A couple of posts from this thread say how one still used over a 20 year old bottle and another person says a 30 year old bottle even after opening it and using it. However in one of the following comments one stated that if it's in a plastic bottle instead of glass then that could eventually become a problem.

"Curing salt has no hard expiration date. If your curing salt is only salt and sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite, it's good forever. Salt itself never goes bad, though yellowing and other discoloration is common."

"Curing salt is commonly used to preserve meat and fish. The shelf life of curing salt will depend on the type of ingredients it contains. Curing salt with salt and sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite has an indefinite shelf life.

If the one you have has propylene glycol, artificial flavors, fat stabilizers, or others, you should base it on their printed expiration dates."

Here's these threads I found on SS:

However I keep seeing the 3 year expiration date being brought up even though as far as I know that's only for indicating how long it's good for using it for food and not for suicide purposes. So as far as I understand it or not, if any SN is older than the 3 year mark then that means either it wouldn't work at all or it's not as potent and you'd have ingest more than SN that's not expired.

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
There's a lab in Spain EC. This is what people used to test N with . Why hasn't someone tested old SN with that lab?

It seems to me plastic containers are not impermeable to air , gasses and water vapor. In the sciencedirect Article it says plastic is many orders of magnitude more permeable than glass. U can see in the image below the oxygen and water vapor going through the plastic bottles. I pasted excerpts from the articles below:

The influence of the material in the moisture barrier properties have been confirmed by the WVTR results obtained for the same bottle volume (30cm3/24 mm) with average values of 0.07, 9.9 and 0.8 mg.day−1.bottle−1 at 40 °C/75%RH for glass, PET and HDPE, respectively. Glass represents the greatest oxygen barrier, followed by PET and HDPE for the same bottle size.

1-s2.0-S1773224722002404-ga1_lrg.jpg

Permeability: PET bottles are slightly permeable, which means that oxygen and carbon dioxide can pass through the walls of a bottle and affect the taste and quality of the liquid inside.

"In contrast to glass or metal packaging materials, packages made with plastic are permeable at different degrees to small molecules like gases, water vapour, and organic vapour and to other low molecular weight compounds like aromas, flavour, and additives present into food. As a consequence of the barrier properties of the material, the transfer of this molecules ranges from high to low. The knowledge of the solution/diffusion/permeation behaviours of these molecules through the polymer film has become more and more important in recent years, especially for polymers used in the food packaging field where contamination from external environment has to be avoided and the shelf life of the food controlled by the use of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) techniques."

Last edited:
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
That 3 year expiration date is the manufacturers date, that doesn't mean it'll be exactly 3 years in terms of expiration. I think this question of expiration, whether it's still good to use or not after opening it once will never ever go away and I get why but from what I've read, SN can last longer under conditions that do not promote oxidation or detrimental to the chemical maintaining its assay for a longer period. I think if it's at that 3 year mark then testing it ain't a bad idea. Although keep in mind that the Aquarium test doesn't necessarily test how pure it is, just how high the nitrite ions are in water.

Circles

Circles

Sep 3, 2018
There's a lab in Spain EC. This is what people used to test N with . Why hasn't someone tested old SN with that lab?

It seems to me plastic containers are not impermeable to air and gasses and water vapor: I pasted excerpts from the articles below:

Permeability: PET bottles are slightly permeable, which means that oxygen and carbon dioxide can pass through the walls of a bottle and affect the taste and quality of the liquid inside.

"In contrast to glass or metal packaging materials, packages made with plastic are permeable at different degrees to small molecules like gases, water vapour, and organic vapour and to other low molecular weight compounds like aromas, flavour, and additives present into food. As a consequence of the barrier properties of the material, the transfer of this molecules ranges from high to low. The knowledge of the solution/diffusion/permeation behaviours of these molecules through the polymer film has become more and more important in recent years, especially for polymers used in the food packaging field where contamination from external environment has to be avoided and the shelf life of the food controlled by the use of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) techniques."

I appreciate the detailed response. From what you posted does that mean I would have to transfer the SN from the original plastic bottles to glass ones? And if that's the case could I just leave the SN in the plastic bottle and then put it in a glass container, or would I have to take out the SN and put it in glass containers?

How would I even be able to do that without exposing the SN to air then?

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I appreciate the detailed response. From what you posted does that mean I would have to transfer the SN from the original plastic bottles to glass ones? And if that's the case could I just leave the SN in the plastic bottle and then put it in a glass container, or would I have to take out the SN and put it in glass containers?

How would I even be able to do that without exposing the SN to air then?
No opening it would be worse. Leave it sealed .

Circles

Circles

Sep 3, 2018
If stored well (airtight, dark and cool) it's good forever. I'd suggest you do the aquarium test.
I'm informed about the aquarium and blood tests, but I am overly cautious and anxious about exposing the SN to air especially since I wasted one of them from my last suicide attempt. I read somewhere on here before about it's not advisable to open the SN before your ctb date since opened SN lasts 3 months.

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I'm informed about the aquarium and blood tests, but I am overly cautious and anxious about exposing the SN to air especially since I wasted one of them from my last suicide attempt. I read somewhere on here before about it's not advisable to open the SN before your ctb date.
The reaction Nitrite to Nitrate is almost non-existent at room temperature and when SN is dry. You'd need to heat it. I understand your concerns but actually SN is very stable it does not decompose on its own.

Reactions: Circles
h.s.p.

h.s.p.

Please tell mom this is not her fault
Dec 8, 2023
I'm not an expert but I'd like to add that SN's worst enemy is not air itself but moisture. If you open your bottle for a few seconds to take some SN out for testing that won't be enough to degrade it, unless you do it in a very wet environment, and even that couldn't be enough as well.
Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. I understand your anxiety, believe me. It makes you overconcerned and paranoid. You're not rational and objective when you're anxious. We are giving answers from a neutral, external point of view, hope that's enough to bring you some relief

Reactions: 0000000000000
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
I'm not an expert but I'd like to add that SN's worst enemy is not air itself but moisture. If you open your bottle for a few seconds to take some SN out for testing that won't be enough to degrade it, unless you do it in a very wet environment, and even that couldn't be enough as well.
Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. I understand your anxiety, believe me. It makes you overconcerned and paranoid. You're not rational and objective when you're anxious. We are giving answers from a neutral, external point of view, hope that's enough to bring you some relief
agreed but as you said, it's anxiety that drives people to fear the absolute worst in anything here.

Reactions: h.s.p.
thinvy

thinvy

Woefully Yours, Luka
Aug 7, 2023
this is the first post in the pinned posts on this section of the forum and is fairly well written. have you looked at it yet?