lamargue

lamargue

concupiscent soul
Jun 5, 2024
for reference, i'm male. i've been obsessing over my skincare routine as of recent. my skin generally is far better than average, though i have to maintain it properly to clear both my eczema and sebaceous filaments. does anyone have advice on proper skincare? right now i use a water-based cleanser + exfoliator + non-comedogenic moisturiser, but i'm hoping to add more. ideally, i would like water & oil-based cleanser + retinol serum + exfoliator + non-comedogenic moisturisers + kojic acid. is there anything i'm missing?

by the way, this isn't looksmaxxing bullshit. i've always had naturally good skin, so when that started to go downhill it became clear to me that i took it largely for granted. just looking for advice at the moment

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I like cerave face lotion.

astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
really depends on what your skin needs. i like to layer a hydrating toner before acids and tretinoin, especially when my skin is feeling a little dryer. keeping a cheap bottle of hyaluronic acid around isn't a bad idea either.

Reactions: lamargue and cowboypants
cowboypants

cowboypants

from farm to fork
May 7, 2024
Keep the routine simple. Focus on moisturizers and sunscreen.

Add tretinoin like another user said. Start with low dose like 0.25% if I remember. Start slow. If you notice dryness back down. Or continue with your retinol.

Kojic acid isn't needed when you are using retinoids.

Be careful with exfoliating you can over do it easily and end up with irritation/ stinging/ dryness. These are things to look for mainly

Reactions: iloveloving, Myforevercharlie and lamargue
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
oh shit above comment reminded me

get thee to some korean or japanese sunscreen asap

the formulations are wayyy better than western sunscreens

Reactions: lamargue
lamargue

lamargue

concupiscent soul
Jun 5, 2024
Keep the routine simple. Focus on moisturizers and sunscreen.

Add tretinoin like another user said. Start with low dose like 0.25% if I remember. Start slow. If you notice dryness back down. Or continue with your retinol.

Kojic acid isn't needed when you are using retinoids.

Be careful with exfoliating you can over do it easily and end up with irritation/ stinging/ dryness. These are things to look for mainly
i mainly want to use kojic acid to make my skin appear paler.

also, isn't tretinoin only useful when dealing with acne? how does it compared to retinol use, i wonder?

astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019

also, isn't tretinoin only useful when dealing with acne? how does it compared to retinol use, i wonder?
tret is just a more intense retinol. works great for anti aging as well. it'll keep you looking young longer if you can get past the irritation from initial use.

• Informative
Reactions: lamargue
cowboypants

cowboypants

from farm to fork
May 7, 2024

It does more than that. You can go to r/tretinoin in reddit and sort by top posts and see the results.

A even better alternative to tretinoin could be tazoretene.

Retinol/ tretinoin and Taz all come in the same category of retinoids. Some new generation, some old. Taz is said to be stronger but less irritating as it's kinda new. Retinol being the mildest form and OTC. Tret is old but cheap if you care

There are some dermats on YouTube like Dr shreene idriss, dr dray etc for tips

• Informative
Reactions: GuessWhosBack and lamargue
amnesia999

amnesia999

Cry me a river
Jun 30, 2024
Funny you should mention skin care for guys. I've been binge watching this t-girl who's both very attractive and entertaining, and she did a video that covers her skin care routine, among other things. (My question, after watching this, was, why do most guys just go through life not giving a thought beyond showers, while girls put so much time and effort into their skin care?) So here's Ashley's advice.

• Informative
Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_ and lamargue
lamargue

lamargue

concupiscent soul
Jun 5, 2024
Funny you should mention skin care for guys. I've been binge watching this t-girl who's both very attractive and entertaining, and she did a video that covers her skin care routine, among other things. (My question, after watching this, was, why do most guys just go through life not giving a thought beyond showers, while girls put so much time and effort into their skin care?) So here's Ashley's advice.

this is a very good video, thank you. i might honestly just steal this routine :)

Reactions: amnesia999