• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
I have seen many threads here where people have discussed the method of jumping off a building. This method has great difficulties, which I would like to discuss in more detail. At the end, I'll link to a few methods you could consider instead. Also, this text refers to jumping from buildings onto hard surfaces. Jumping from bridges into rivers etc. is not meant here.

If anyone has important information or contributions, please feel free to add them.

1. Introduction​

Two things first: I don't want to lecture anyone, with this thread I just want to draw attention to a few things that should be considered in connection with this method. These have already been discussed here, but I think this deserves its own thread as it is a very complex and extensive topic.

The other thing is: I am in no way trying to blame anyone. We are all here for reasons. Most people on this forum, myself included, want to/will take their own lives because they see no other way out. It's sad that life has brought us here, however, we all deserve a death that meets our needs and one should know every facet of the method one chooses.

From the threads I've read here on this topic, you can tell that jumping is considered by many to be without alternative. After all, this method is supposedly easier to access, and for some people there seems to be no other option. Another factor is probably the high mortality rate of this method. I will comment on both later on.

2. Suicide by jumping​

Jumping from a great height is one of the most common methods of taking one's own life. While in Western countries such as the USA, few choose this route, as most high-rise buildings are office buildings or other facilities with limited access, jumping is more common in Asia. In Hong Kong, for example, 52% of all suicides choose this method. The reason: in this jungle of skyscrapers, it is much easier to gain access to roofs or high floors. A clear indication that accessibility and effort play a significant role in the decision.
2.1 Risks​

Although jumping from a great height is considered one of the safest methods of all, there are still risks for the suicidal person, even though they occur rarely and only with bad luck. Overall, the mortality rate for jumping (including attempts from too low a height) is 55%. To be fair, it has to be said that, above a certain height, it is a very safe method. Very few people survive jumps from a height of ten stories, although there are still exceptions: in 2010, 22-year-old Thomas Magill survived a jump from a height of 400 feet. Alcides Moreno, a window cleaner, survived a fall from a height of almost 500 feet in 2007. There is therefore a very real risk of surviving even such a jump. Posture plays a decisive role here - a 28-year-old free climber survived a fall from 300 feet because she adopted a posture that saved her life, albeit with serious injuries. Conversely, of course, this means that an appropriate posture can nullify a suicide attempt - albeit with the necessary luck/pitch. Landing head first is fatal from a certain height in almost every case, but it is difficult to align the body accordingly in the air, even if you jump head first.
2.2 Effects on witnesses and survivors​

The greatest risk, however, the greatest danger posed by this method, does not affect the suicide victim himself, but the people around him. The sight of a dead person, especially in a condition that is to be expected after a fall from a great height, can trigger reactions in witnesses that they are unable to cope with. Witnessing a public suicide is very distressing and can trigger severe psychological problems such as PTSD and depression, from which some are unable to fully recover, leaving their lives shattered.
2.3 Dangers for bystanders​

In the worst cases, suicides take uninvolved people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time to their deaths.

In 2016, a 40-year-old South Korean man died in Gwangju in front of his pregnant wife and 6-year-old son when a 26-year-old suicide jumper landed on top of him.

In 2017, a 68-year-old died in Seoul when a 56-year-old landed on top of him.

Also in 2017, a 22-year-old in Virginia who wanted to dedicate her life to caring for sick people died when a 12-year-old boy landed on top of her car.

In 2021, an uninvolved 61-year-old man died in New York when a suicidal man jumped on him.

Also in 2021, an innocent 29-year-old woman died in San Diego when she was swept to her death by a jumper.

Also in 2021, in Voronezh, Russia, a five-month-old child who had his life ahead of him died in front of his mother when a suicide jumper jumped from the 17th floor and landed on the child.

These are just a few examples. It is all too common for people who jump from great heights to seriously injure or kill other people. Even if you take care to catch a clear spot, you can never rule out the possibility that a person will be there at the time of impact.
2.4 Minimizing risk​

If you absolutely want to jump at all costs, there are ways to at least minimize the risk. In a thread that I can't find right now, a user had a plan to climb up a crane at night on a construction site and alert the rescue services just before jumping so as not to endanger civilians or construction workers. I think that's very commendable, because it shows empathy and that he/she doesn't want to involve anyone in his/her own death. Overall, there are not too many ways to jump from great heights without endangering other people. You can look out for cliffs that are less frequented, for example. Unfortunately, however, there are simply not that many places that are high enough for others not to observe, let alone be injured or die. In nature, such places are extremely rare, and man-made opportunities almost always carry the risk of involving other people.

Whether it's a crane, a cliff or a high bridge away from civilization, the body will always be in a condition that no one, not even trained rescuers, would want to be exposed to. And what if you are discovered by an uninvolved person before the rescue services arrive?
2.5 Myths​

It is said that you will faint after jumping. I'm sorry to have to say this, but I couldn't find any studies to suggest this, and it seems very unlikely. Given that in most situations you only fall for a few seconds, there simply isn't enough time. Furthermore, scientifically speaking, there is not a single reason to faint in a free fall. The only thing that might happen is that you go into a state of shock due to the situation you are in, in which you no longer perceive your surroundings properly. However, this is not set in stone either, and it is very likely that you will be fully aware of everything until you hit the ground. Unfortunately, this is nothing more than a myth for which there is no scientific basis.

3. Alternative methods​

Let's stick with the fact that for many people jumping seems to be the only option, for example for financial or procurement reasons. Let us now consider the following: 1. the person does not have enough money to buy expensive equipment or chemicals. 2. the person can move freely (otherwise they would not be able to get to places where they can jump). Point 1 in particular limits the choice of method considerably, but there are indeed methods that can be used here. Here are three well-known methods that cost little to no money.

a) Hanging

Hanging is a very simple method that is almost always lethal if carried out correctly. Partial is preferable to full suspension, as the latter involves the risk of an unpleasant death by asphyxiation, whereas with partial, if carried out correctly, you will pass out after a few seconds. In the best case scenario, a non-elastic rope is required to perform the move, which generally costs very little. Many suicides by hanging with scarves and the like are known from poorer countries. This is not recommended, and rightly so.

Here is a guide for partial suspension:

b) CO poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very effective type of suicide that is easy to carry out. Above all, it is very painless; according to the sources, you simply fall asleep. All you need is charcoal and a room where you can carry out the method undisturbed. Due to its simplicity and peaceful nature, this was the method I wanted to use for a long time.

Here is a guide to the Fliesenbourg method:

c) Shallow-Water Blackout

This is also a simple method that can be implemented without any expense. All you need is water, whether in a river, stream or bathtub.

Here is a guide to the Shallow-water blackout:

4. Conclusion​
Of course, being pro-choice also involves the preferred method, so you have to respect it if someone wants to jump off a skyscraper. However, it shows that there are definitely other cheap and easy methods. Taking your own life is no walk in the park, you always have to put in a little effort. The only question is, how do you want to go?

If you care little bit about others, don't want to traumatize, hurt or even kill others, then please don't jump off a building. It's best for everyone involved.

People killed by jumpers:

Last edited:
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
i alerted this as misinfo but the mods said wtv so ig i'll correct it.

jumping has a 98% fatality rate when done properly. https://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/jumping-high-building

hanging has a mere 70%. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15659471/. https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...tative-study/EB259F432B70A1B4C71E1B842CC13347.
https://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/hanging.

charcoal method i agree is an alternative worth trying. i might've tried it myself if it weren't for cost & location.

SWB as a method + the setup process alone is such a gamble/risk i don't think i even need to try, nor would i be able, to find a statistic corroborating that. ur resources are just articles of ppl surviving falls & hurting others during falls. w all methods, even gunshots, survival is possible. i've never understood the fearmongering & misinfo that gets spread on SaSu since i joined abt jumping, i've made multiple comments abt that so to some users i prob sound like a broken record.

ur main, true concern w jumping seems to be the affect it has on other ppl. which is reasonable, but may not be much of a factor for others. & yes, u do not faint in midair.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yuki_03
numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
jumping has a 98% fatality rate if done properly. https://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/jumping-high-building

Read it. I have emphasized that it is almost always fatal from a certain height. However, the correct statistics also include attempts from too low a height.
Edit: The 98% in that link are linked to a certain height. And let's not compare lostallhope (which btw is a great source) with scientific studies.
hanging has a mere 70%.
That's probably true. You should practice and see where your carotid arteries are. If you do partial and you're doing it correctly, chances are, you're going to die.

SWB as a method + the setup process alone is such a gamble/risk
True, but it's one of the few methods you can chose that will require no money at all.

ur 'resources'
So you only read the articles? What about the rest?

Let's keep this civilized and not have a discussion of principles.

Last edited:
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
Read it. I have emphasized that it is almost always fatal from a certain height. However, the correct statistics also include attempts from too low a height.

So you only read the articles? What about the rest?

Let's keep this civilized and not have a discussion of principles.
u do mention that 'to be fair, above a certain height, it has to be said it's a relatively safe method', however u instantly counteract that by talking abt survivals/'exceptions', which all methods run the risk of.

i mention the rest of it when i talk abt ur main true concern/gripe w falling. which is how it affects others.

not sure where i wasn't keeping things civilized or discussed any principles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defenestration
numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
u instantly counteract that by talking abt survivals
Exactly, because you shouldn't get the picture that jumping is an absolute one hundred percent death sentence. And the extreme examples I gave were from very high altitudes, so you can assume that the chance of survival is even higher at more moderate altitudes.
Also, you should always look at things from multiple angles. Of course, I could still emphasize in caps and and hundred exclamation points that above a certain height the fall is most likely fatal, but if it's not enough for someone in the form I wrote, I have to assume that person simply has a personal agenda in favor of jumping from great heights.

Reactions: breezeboy
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
Of course, I could still emphasize in caps and and hundred exclamation points that above a certain height the fall is most likely fatal,
i don't think u needed to do that, i just think u could've worded it more honestly. that jumping is truly 1 of the more foolproof methods, w survivors being likely the same way gunshot method survivors are likely. as in survival is unlikely. & that ur main argument against jumping isn't potential surviving as a risk, but that the method puts u @ a greater risk of traumatizing others. instead of making it sound like jumping as a method itself is questionable & not to be trusted, when it's much more dependable than the alternatives u listed.

numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
i don't think u needed to do that, i just think u could've worded it more honestly. that jumping is truly 1 of the more foolproof methods, w survivors being likely the same way gunshot method survivors are likely. as in survival is unlikely. & that ur main argument against jumping isn't potential surviving as a risk, but that the method puts u @ a greater risk of traumatizing others. instead of making it sound like jumping as a method itself is questionable & not to be trusted, when it's much more dependable than the alternatives u listed.
I can accept that. But in my opinion I have done nothing wrong, I have given the sources and pointed everything out, even if perhaps not as vehemently as you would have liked. I did not say that jumping is not safe. I didn't say that the alternatives I linked were absolutely bulletproof (although hanging and CO poisoning are pretty safe if done correctly). And most importantly, I pointed out that the main risk is not to the jumper themselves, but to people around them.

hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
I can accept that. But in my opinion I have done nothing wrong, I have given the sources and pointed everything out, even if perhaps not as vehemently as you would have liked. I did not say that jumping is not safe. I didn't say that the alternatives I linked were absolutely bulletproof (although hanging and CO poisoning are pretty safe if done correctly). And most importantly, I pointed out that the main risk is not to the jumper themselves, but to people around them.
u do say that abt the risk, which i appreciate. i just wish it wasn't buried under 8 paragraphs & listed as the 2.2, but was clearly stated in the 2.1 paragraph. & as mentioned, wish it was worded more honestly. i also don't think u did anything wrong per se, even though ur resources were just articles of survivors & that 1 pubmed link. u just didn't present all info or write this unbiasedly. there are many posts that talk down on jumping as a method while advocating for others that're known to not be as fatal, so i presented the info for that, like i did w the other posts.

i just want to dispel the fear that ppl spread/drape over jumping, bc i think it's a bit over the top for such a surefire method.

Last edited:
numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
u do say that abt the risk, which i appreciate. i just wish it wasn't buried under 8 paragraphs & listed as the 2.2, but was clearly stated in the 2.1 paragraph. & as mentioned, wish it was worded more honestly. i also don't think u did anything wrong per se, even though ur resources were just articles of survivors. u just didn't present all info or write this unbiasedly. there are many posts that talk down on jumping as a method while advocating for others that're known to not be as fatal, so i presented the info for that, like i did w other posts of this nature as well.

i just want to dispel the fear that ppl spread/drape over jumping, bc i think it's a bit over the top for such a surefire method.
Well then, I think we can agree on that.
And yes, I didn't write that completely without bias either - I don't want to discourage anyone from jumping, as I said before, you have to respect that decision. But the risk to people in the area simply has to be named, and I would say that was the crux of my post.

Edit: BUT! I am still of the opinion that I have correctly described the lethality of jumping.

• Love
Reactions: hikikomorizombie
numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
I have updated the post.
Although jumping from a great height is considered one of the safest methods of all, there are still risks for the suicidal person, even though they occur rarely and only with bad luck. Overall, the mortality rate for jumping (including attempts from too low a height) is 55%.

To emphasize that: Even though I am addressing the risks of jumping for the jumper themselves (and they should be addressed), it is clear that jumping itself is an outstandingly safe method.

The main purpose of this post is to point out the risks that jumping has for people nearby.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
hibikikyuxx

hibikikyuxx

Student
Oct 17, 2023
Innocent people will almost always be involved in the jumping method as long as euthanasia isn't legalized in every country. The government and pro-lifers don't care about suicidal people and force them to ctb with painful methods, so why should suicidal people care about involving others? None of this would be a problem if assisted suicide was legalized everywhere.

numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
Innocent people will almost always be involved in the jumping method as long as euthanasia isn't legalized in every country. The government and pro-lifers don't care about suicidal people and force them to ctb with painful methods, so why should suicidal people care about involving others? None of this would be a problem if assisted suicide was legalized everywhere.
Can't say anything against that. I agree 100%.

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I appreciate the viewpoint of thinking about other people and was insightful to know about people that died because of jumpers.

Depending on each one's personality, that point can have a lot of impact. I know it does for me, I wouldn't want to kill an innocent person, no matter how mad I may be about the lack of options for ctb. It's my life and I wouldn't want to take someone else's when they wanted to live.

Thought your post deserved some credit as it was very well written and sourced. It surely took quite some time to create and was a pleasant read. Thank you for sharing!

numbspirit

numbspirit

living failure
Jan 3, 2024
I appreciate the viewpoint of thinking about other people and was insightful to know about people that died because of jumpers.

Depending on each one's personality, that point can have a lot of impact. I know it does for me, I wouldn't want to kill an innocent person, no matter how mad I may be about the lack of options for ctb. It's my life and I wouldn't want to take someone else's when they wanted to live.

Thought your post deserved some credit as it was very well written and sourced. It surely took quite some time to create and was a pleasant read. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much for this reply. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: LifeIsCrazyNemb
Whatever♡

Whatever♡

Oct 1, 2022
I can't trust any post that suggests partial hanging as a reliable method sorry.that shit fails 95% than it suceeds. I think it's only in this site the members delude themselves into thinking hanging in any form is painsless.idk.i tried partial and there was no losing consciousness whatsoever.only head and eyes feeling going to explode due to blood pressure.the eyes pain alone is a no-no.😢

Last edited:
Reactions: BrainShower
The Schizoid

The Schizoid

Specialist
Oct 24, 2023
Exactly, because you shouldn't get the picture that jumping is an absolute one hundred percent death sentence. And the extreme examples I gave were from very high altitudes, so you can assume that the chance of survival is even higher at more moderate altitudes.
Also, you should always look at things from multiple angles. Of course, I could still emphasize in caps and and hundred exclamation points that above a certain height the fall is most likely fatal, but if it's not enough for someone in the form I wrote, I have to assume that person simply has a personal agenda in favor of jumping from great heights.
I debated this with someone else at one point. The suicide website puts falls at around 150ft betwen 95-95% fatal, but it doesn't detail the conditions of the survivors, and includes landings onto water.

If it is up to 98% fatal when done right, that makes it almost as lethal as a shotgun blast point blank in the temple.