• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This isn't something that is new and many of the SaSu members, especially those who know methods and/or have done their homework will know this. Also, I once again, may be preaching to the choir here, but most of us already know how unreliable a lot of methods are, and the actual success rate, nevermind all the points of failure ANY method can have. No method is absolutely 100% as there is always unexpected circumstances, human error, and unforeseen situations, but those who have done their research, homework, and refined as well as prepared thoroughly, extensively will at least get as close to 100% (perhaps even guaranteed) success.

With that said, what really infuriates me is the naivety when it comes to methods and success rates for them. I partly blame Hollywood for their inaccurate and incorrect portrayals of death. Then, also the misinformation and poor understanding of anatomy of the human body and resilience plays into the skewed perception of method reliability and success rates. Furthermore, the ignorance of pro-lifers when it comes to an actual attempt since they ignore or underestimate the survival instinct. They do not consider the amount of courage one needs to go through with the attempt, regardless of what method one has chosen. Even with the most reliable method, the SI will always be in the way, and for some people, it could affect their attempt by causing them to fail and end up alive, but grievously harmed.

Here are a list (not comprehensive, but most common methods), and I will briefly describe them.

Firearms
One of the most reliable, albeit messy ways to go, and most people (I blame Hollywood and poor understanding of physics and human anatomy) believe it is a guaranteed death, and aiming at the chin (a big NO-NO). Due to such poor understanding of the method, and misinformation, people have the incorrect view on death via firearm.

Hanging
While there are lots of people (around the world and not just in the US) have succeeded with the method, it isn't anywhere as easy as movies portray it. Furthermore, even for successful ones, some people suffer immensely before death due to incorrect positioning and/or doing the method improperly. Additionally, if one is discovered too soon, they could end up failing and with permanent brain damage from Oxygen deprivation.

OD/Poisoning
I'm not sure if it is due to rumors or just incorrect information being passed around in normie circles about drugs just being lethal enough and reliable to die being true, or just poor understanding of drugs and their toxicity in general. Anyways, as most of us on SaSu know, that besides certain drugs (opioids, barbiturates, and benzos with alcohol), the chance of success via OD is very low, and/or extremely uncomfortable and painful, with a long, drawn out death.

Cutting
When cutting one's wrists or arms, the failure rate is high and most people believe that it is possible just to bleed out and die. Most of the time, that is not the case unless the person has pre-existing conditions that make them bleed out and die (lack of blood clotting and not found in time). Furthermore, the survival instinct will greatly prevent one from continuing to cut or being able to sever an artery or important vein such that they will die from blood loss.

Jumping
A common misconception is that if one jumps, it is mostly successful, but that is far from the truth. The way someone lands (head first or feet first) matters a lot, the surface one lands on (whether it is concrete or a body of water), and of course, the height (the higher the greater the odds of death) in which one is jumping from.

I could list many more methods and their misconceptions, but I believe that these are just a few good examples of pro-life naivety when it comes to methods and method success rate. Also, the fact that pro-lifers believe that CTB'ing is easy and almost effortless are naive and ignorant.

Last edited:
I

inmyhead

Student
May 21, 2023
Sadly this is completely true. I also sometimes wonder when someone is successful with suicide, how many failed attempts are behind them? I know the day I am finally successful I will have around 10 attempts behind me. It's also frustrating seeing people posting asking for quick, easy and painless methods available - as if it were that easy! If it were then none of us would still be here.

Still thank you for this thread sometimes it's nice as a reminder.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
I cannot stand those people who pretend that suicide is easy and that if one is still here and struggles to ctb it means they "don't really want to die". Those people are just delusional, only non suicidal people who have never researched suicide methods would say insensitive things like that. Suicide really is so unnecessarily difficult in this world and I hate how things are that way, it certainly should be easier to leave.

P

PoisonousPotato

Student
Feb 1, 2023
This isn't something that is new and many of the SaSu members, especially those who know methods and/or have done their homework will know this. Also, I once again, may be preaching to the choir here, but most of us already know how unreliable a lot of methods are, and the actual success rate, nevermind all the points of failure ANY method can have. No method is absolutely 100% as there is always unexpected circumstances, human error, and unforeseen situations, but those who have done their research, homework, and refined as well as prepared thoroughly, extensively will at least get as close to 100% (perhaps even guaranteed) success.

With that said, what really infuriates me is the naivety when it comes to methods and success rates for them. I partly blame Hollywood for their inaccurate and incorrect portrayals of death. Then, also the misinformation and poor understanding of anatomy of the human body and resilience plays into the skewed perception of method reliability and success rates. Furthermore, the ignorance of pro-lifers when it comes to an actual attempt since they ignore or underestimate the survival instinct. They do not consider the amount of courage one needs to go through with the attempt, regardless of what method one has chosen. Even with the most reliable method, the SI will always be in the way, and for some people, it could affect their attempt by causing them to fail and end up alive, but grievously harmed.

Here are a list (not comprehensive, but most common methods), and I will briefly describe them.

Firearms
One of the most reliable, albeit messy ways to go, and most people (I blame Hollywood and poor understanding of physics and human anatomy) believe it is a guaranteed death, and aiming at the chin (a big NO-NO). Due to such poor understanding of the method, and misinformation, people have the incorrect view on death via firearm.

Hanging
While there are lots of people (around the world and not just in the US) have succeeded with the method, it isn't anywhere as easy as movies portray it. Furthermore, even for successful ones, some people suffer immensely before death due to incorrect positioning and/or doing the method improperly. Additionally, if one is discovered too soon, they could end up failing and with permanent brain damage from Oxygen deprivation.

OD/Poisoning
I'm not sure if it is due to rumors or just incorrect information being passed around in normie circles about drugs just being lethal enough and reliable to die being true, or just poor understanding of drugs and their toxicity in general. Anyways, as most of us on SaSu know, that besides certain drugs (opioids, barbiturates, and benzos with alcohol), the chance of success via OD is very low, and/or extremely uncomfortable and painful, with a long, drawn out death.

Cutting
When cutting one's wrists or arms, the failure rate is high and most people believe that it is possible just to bleed out and die. Most of the time, that is not the case unless the person has pre-existing conditions that make them bleed out and die (lack of blood clotting and not found in time). Furthermore, the survival instinct will greatly prevent one from continuing to cut or being able to sever an artery or important vein such that they will die from blood loss.

Jumping
A common misconception is that if one jumps, it is mostly successful, but that is far from the truth. The way someone lands (head first or feet first) matters a lot, the surface one lands on (whether it is concrete or a body of water), and of course, the height (the higher the greater the odds of death) in which one is jumping from.

I could list many more methods and their misconceptions, but I believe that these are just a few good examples of pro-life naivety when it comes to methods and method success rate. Also, the fact that pro-lifers believe that CTB'ing is easy and almost effortless are naive and ignorant.
i wholeheartedly agree with you, even if even on this forum i've seen lots of people being very "optimistic" with their method (wishful thinking?).

the thing is, it is common practice among uninformed people to shame people who want to ctb because it looks so easy in movies, and i believe those kind of misunderstandings are part of why assisted ctb isn't a thing in a lot of countries

cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
totally agree. i still remember being told if i wanted to die so much i could kill myself with a spoon. its such a frustrating feeling being told death is so easy to attain yet trying so hard and failing every time at achieving it.

U

UKscotty

Enlightened
May 20, 2021
The only really reliable easily accessible methods for most are jumping and hanging.

I think most of us at 90% of the time are not actually really suicidal enough to go through. I know through the years I have researched and wasted time on countless methods.

I'm pretty sure that when I finally do get the balls to CTB that I will be found on the end of a rope.